TheDarkCynder

Rats, Ferrets, Snakes, other exotic animals.

I hope Tribble will be ok! Maybe it died of old age or an internal injury? Panda (my brother's ferret) hasn't had her second distemper shot, and she's ok, but I guess she's inside...

Thank you, I hope so too. I'll have to keep a close eye on her behavior and health for the next few weeks, unfortunately I know all to well what distemper's early stages look like.

Well, the raccoon looked very healthy and young, unfortunately. Some blood came out of its nose when I turned it over while burying it, so I really hope that, that was a sign of it being hit by a car(I do live off a busy road).

Only time will tell. sad.gif

user posted image

Well, the raccoon looked very healthy and young, unfortunately. Some blood came out of its nose when I turned it over while burying it, so I really hope that, that was a sign of it being hit by a car(I do live off a busy road).

Only time will tell. sad.gif

It also may be a sign that the raccoon got into some rat poison. Most rat poisons contain anti-coagulants that cause massive internal bleeding, and they are attractive to many more types of animal than just rats. Tribble will be fine if he did not ingest any of the raccoon.

I have 4 cockatiels and a crested gecko (among several cats and a betta fish), and I would love to have other pets, such as a small species of snake, maybe a gerbil or two, guinea pigs...lol. But I think I have enough pets to care for at the moment xd.png

Don't,t have any exotic pets, but I would really like a bearded dragon. The one thing that's stopping me is that they're too expensive.

I have so many goats and sheep. I don't understand people who associate stupitidy with them. Well, sheep I understand a little but when those little hellions learn something, you can be darn well sure they'll remember it. They actually learn realy fast, especially when there's treats involved.

Goats, on the other hand, are the most intelligent and sensitive animals I've ever seen. They're cute and sweet and floofy in the winter...

user posted image

The grey one is Button and the little white one on the left is Prima; they're both my bottle babies. This was taken in 2011 spring, so Prim's obviously all grown up and having babies of her own in less than a month.

user posted image

This is our '11 kids bothering our old ram, who fortunately doesn't seem to mind.

user posted image

This is one of our bottle baby lambs.

Bottle babies are very friendly and sweet creatures; like your own children but fuzzier and much less annoying.

Note: the goats in my avatar are not mine. Those are pygmy goats, I have regular-sized goats.

Edited by LwyllasLaVey

So cute! I love goats and sheep...well, I guess I love most animals, anyway, but they are super cute, and while I haven't personally dealt with sheep, I do adore being around goats. They're so unique and silly!

So cute!  I love goats and sheep...well, I guess I love most animals, anyway, but they are super cute, and while I haven't personally dealt with sheep, I do adore being around goats.  They're so unique and silly!

Not only unique and silly. Look up "Most adorable goat attack ever" on Youtube. I swear that this is the greatest problem to have and would like to have it all the time.

Baby goats are natural anti-depressants. I swear that the smaller the goat is, the more joy and cute it contains.

EDIT: I cannot find that video. It's about one minute long and consists of baby goats taking down a girl and then climbing all over her. It is most adorable.

Edited by LwyllasLaVey

I used to own a turtle... until he ran away... sad.gif

Yes. You read that right. A turtle ran away.

We kept him in a garden pond during the summer, and he crawled over the wall and ran away.

I tried getting another turtle, but it just wasn't the same as my Meko, so I gave the new one away.

I have two corn snakes, a bearded dragon, six oriental fire belly toads, a tarantula, a rattlesnake, a green anole, and three leopard geckos. Thank God I have a two-bedroom apartment. I had to ask the landlord if we could cut open the walls and put the tanks so we could see them. Also, I used to have another tarantula, but my censorkip.gif of a niece censorkip.gif killed it.

I have two corn snakes, a bearded dragon, six oriental fire belly toads, a tarantula, a rattlesnake, a green anole, and three leopard geckos. Thank God I have a two-bedroom apartment. I had to ask the landlord if we could cut open the walls and put the tanks so we could see them. Also, I used to have another tarantula, but my censorkip.gif of a niece censorkip.gif killed it.

Ooh what kind of rattler do you have? Nice to see hot keepers around.

A timber rattler. I rescued it from being ground up by a bulldozer and couldn't just leave it in the nearby field.

Well, it's been a little over two weeks, and Tribble hasn't seemed sick yet. I'll start to not worry by April, maybe. Maybe.

user posted image

Your Tribble is still as wonderful as ever.

For those of you interested or who have ferrets, and don't already know, i thought you should.

For the past few months, i've converted my ferrets to a partial raw diet. Here are some before and after pictures of just two of them..

Keep in mind, Stiv has Adrenal disease and is also insulinomic, yes he is as healthy as he can be with his cancers, no he is not suffering at the moment and when it comes to that time, we may help him along. Adrenal disease causes fur loss, here are some pics smile.gif

Coda was my best progress showing ferret, she went from about a pound to a pound and a half with the switch from regular grain free kibble, to adding raw in every day.

(bad pic sorry)

user posted image

This is her yesterday smile.gif

user posted image

This is Stiv the day we started giving raw officially, and not just as a treat or a weekly thing. Adrenal disease causes muscle wasting if it's not treated right, one of those things that can help is diet. Which is one of the main reasons i started him and his two sisters on raw

user posted image

This is him yesterday. He's gained .25Kg and what fur he does have is as soft as when he was a 2 year old boy back when we had them on raw about two/three years ago

user posted image

So you ferret enthusiasts out there that feed grain and filler filled kibbles, i'd switch to at least grain free and add some raw in!

^ They're quite cute, I hope Stiv will live a longer, happy life with no suffering. Panda hasn't shown any interest in raw diet food, though we've tried occasionally. Though we feed her kibble, she's been quite active and very happy lately. She's getting some new markings (yay!), and I'm getting my ferret on April 10th. (Birthday)

Ferret math wink.gif

It may take a bit of time and a lot of bribery (fish oils in it) a lot take to duck and lamb more quickly then other raw meats, play around with it when you can afford to do , so it's definitely worth it!

IcarusTheDragon: I'm sorry to hear about Stiv, that's one of the reasons I've always held off on getting a ferret.

Edited by Draco Knight

Don't be sorry, he's as happy as can be. He's my first ferret, we got him as a baby and the only pet store bought ferret. The rest are rescue ferrets from GCFA other then coda who was my aunt's ferret. Stiv doesn't even care about his issues, he's still as playful as ever and coda keeps him in check smile.gif

Now I'm even more excited to get my own! Panda's in need of a friend. She likes to play "fetch" with a squeaker we have wrapped safely in some weird cloth, so she can't take it out. She's just so adorable when she runs around with it in her mouth! Ferrets are way more interesting than snakes or lizards to me. (Since I've had/have both)

I've added some new T's to my collection, 3 slings, 2 Juveniles (Posted to me next Tuesday) and a female adult.

Slings

P Papuanus

S sp. 2

P Goliath

Juveniles

P rubiseta

P Goliath

Female

Not sure what species she is, Selenotypus or selenotholus

Warning: Spider images in links

Selenotypus sp. 2

Phlogius sp. Goliath

Adult Female

The first little guy is about 9mm and the second is 19mm smile.gif

I'm looking to add some Scorpions as well, not sure which species to get though.

Well these might be a little odd to hear ...my mother a few years back bought a pet crocodile!! She had a cafe and she had it there in an aquarium (something like that) ..I don't mean a big one ...it was like half a meter or less at first ...but when it started to grow really big she gave it somewhere where they could take care of it!! We also had in our house 3 inguanas!!

I would absolutely love to have a pet ferret. They seem very energetic and silly, plus it'd be someone to brighten up my life a bit biggrin.gif

I would absolutely love to have a pet ferret. They seem very energetic and silly, plus it'd be someone to brighten up my life a bit biggrin.gif

They're wonderful in almost every way, at some point in time, you even enjoy when they eat your shoes! Seriously.. it gets so annoying, but when they pass and you bought that new pair of shoes, you just look at the shoes.. in hopes that one day you'll see it all chewed up with no ferret to chew it... as a sort of sign that they're waiting haha... Well that ended up sad, but it's really what happens. When my Rob died, i had brand new flip flops and they stayed nearly perfect for so long, it hurt.

On a happier note, Looks like i'm going to have baby Zebra finches soon!

user posted image

user posted image

Here is mom and dad

user posted image

Edited by IcarusTheDragon

I've never been a fan of ferrets, but seeing just how many people enjoy keeping them, they're growing on me. Living in a state for 20 years where they were banned means I've never seem them in person - which is the only reason why I'm not a fan. Rabbits too, but those I have seen recently and I will admit that they are rather cute and fluffy.

@ Draco Knight

Tribble is looking beautiful, she's grown into such a regal looking creature!

@ IcarusTheDragon

Congratulations on the Zebra finch clutch. What morph is mum and dad (assuming they are the same morphs), or are they wild-type? Either way, they're gorgeous!

@ isstiautng

Those are some impressive looking spiders. It's a shame Australian (or are they Papua New Guinean/Indonesian?) species aren't as vibrant in colouration as the ones overseas - but there's something special about a gigantic brown spider. Awesome photographs!

Are the two Juveniles settling in well?

I was interested in the Rainforest and Flinders Range scorps, aka Liocheles waigiensis and Urodacus elongatus. My mother is against anything remotely venomous, that and I have an allergy to bee stings so possible ramifications from a scorpion sting (even if the above two are less venomous than the desert species) is a big argument in her favour. Such is life.

@ Featherheart

What type of python? Do you have any pictures?

-----

Recent photos:

Caine is a Jungle Carpet Python. Gizmo, Ninja and Astro are all Eastern Blue Tongued Skinks, just different localities and morphs.

Caine yawning - Pic

Caine coiled up - Pic

Gimzo - Pic

Ninja - Pic

Astro - Pic

I planned on getting another Bluey at one of the local expos as my mother gave the all clear. Plans were dashed last minute, so I didn't end up going. A bit sad at that still, but next year brings another season and another round of expos. As it is, I will likely end up getting one direct from a breeder once I build bank enclosures to house them, as I want locale specific animals.

Edited by VampiricOmen