TheDarkCynder

Rats, Ferrets, Snakes, other exotic animals.

@VampiricOmen:

I love seeing pictures of your Blueys! Ninja is an dapper as ever, but Astro looks particularly beautiful in that picture! ohmy.gif Caine yawning was a little intimidating.

-----

This might be the cutest picture I've ever taken of Tribble - That face

Ferrets are absolutely adorable! I would love to have one (maybe two, so they're never lonely). Unfortunately, they require extensive ferret-proofing and constant attention, neither of which I can guarantee. They are legal where I live, though, even if they aren't really sold that often.

AWWW, Zebra finch babies! At my technical high school, we had finches who laid eggs; it was so amazing how quickly baby birds grow <3 We also raised a Jenday Conure, Bearded Dragon babies....and...no, I think that's it.

I like the playfulness of ferrets, but I had trouble handling their craziness at times, lol, at Bel-Rea. They were little nippers, and would run around like mad, and imagining them in a house made me think of a pack of small children LOL.

I don't know if it counts as exotic but I recently got 3 Chinese fire belly newts. They're really cute! biggrin.gif

Awww, I love Zebra Finches, My grandparents had some a while back!

Since that image of Panda was a bit old, How about a more up-to-date one? (=

Panda waking up from her "Beauty Sleep". (Linked For Size)

@ VampiricOmen, Caine has quite a beautiful pattern, yellow and black is great together! Blitz is a Cornsnake, and she's white and yellow (I love her checkered belly). <3

They sure do, and that's awesome! You should post pictures - it's been so long since I've seen one =)

Awww, I love Zebra Finches, My grandparents had some a while back!

Since that image of Panda was a bit old, How about a more up-to-date one? (=

Panda waking up from her "Beauty Sleep". (Linked For Size)

@ VampiricOmen, Caine has quite a beautiful pattern, yellow and black is great together! Blitz is a Cornsnake, and she's white and yellow (I love her checkered belly). <3

She's so cute!

One of the eggs was DIS(Dead in Shell) as it got chilled, but the last remaining egg appears to be thriving, i even saw movement in the egg earlier this afternoon!

Should have a baby in a few days smile.gif

I've never been a fan of ferrets, but seeing just how many people enjoy keeping them, they're growing on me. Living in a state for 20 years where they were banned means I've never seem them in person - which is the only reason why I'm not a fan. Rabbits too, but those I have seen recently and I will admit that they are rather cute and fluffy.

@ IcarusTheDragon

Congratulations on the Zebra finch clutch. What morph is mum and dad (assuming they are the same morphs), or are they wild-type? Either way, they're gorgeous!

Morph, do you mean Mutation?

Sheena(mom) is a Recessive Silver with unknown splits, Lux (dad) is a Normal Gray(wild coloured) split to Orange Breasted and maybe Black Breasted (though we have reason to believe it's a hidden split)

As for ferrets, they're absolutely wonderful in many ways! Maybe just keep an eye on them, you'll eventually fall in love. Even if that doesn't mean you'll get one smile.gif or five... or 7... or 15

Ferrets are super cute. I used to have no interest in them, but my opinion of them has been increasing positively since I saw them at a SPCA I used to intern at. I don't think I'd own any myself though, but I'd love to play with a few.

This is Eddie, my leopard gecko. He like to help me do things like study for exams (I was studying for my insect genomics class tongue.gif)

https://scontent-b-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos...497238542_n.jpg

Haja is my pet hissing cockroach.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hpho..._43161269_n.jpg

My B. vagans (Mexican red rump) tarantula, Dashie, just after a moult.

https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos...661001567_n.jpg

And my B. albopilosum (curlyhair) tarantula, Albus Dumbledore, who could wield wands like a pro with those eight legs.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hpho...194716095_n.jpg

Edited by Shiny Hazard Sign

Would reaaaaaaaaallllllllly appreciate linked pics on the insects and arachnids but I get if that isn't really fair.

It's an exotic animals thread. That is going to include things that some people are scared of, such as snakes and invertebrates.

Fine. I said that I got it if it wasn't fair, but there's no way to manage the insectophobia and there's no way to disable imaging without applying it to everything across the board. It was worth a shot.

Edited by 7Deadly$ins

Images like that should still be put into links, especially since people who enjoy one type of exotic pet may have issues with other types of exotic pets.

I'm going to be getting my first snake sometime this month! I'm getting a hatchling corn snake, either a snow, butter, or lavender morph. wub.gif I'm so excited!

Images like that should still be put into links, especially since people who enjoy one type of exotic pet may have issues with other types of exotic pets.

I'm going to be getting my first snake sometime this month! I'm getting a hatchling corn snake, either a snow, butter, or lavender morph. wub.gif I'm so excited!

Then you'd have to put -everything- in links. There are plenty of people who are afraid of rats, snakes, and even dogs and cats.

It'd be understandable if someone was asking for there not to be live feeding photos of snakes posted or something, but I don't see how there could actually be a rule for not posting a group of animals that is the vast majority of animal life on earth, and of which there and numerous species of them in literally every concievable place on the planet.

(I always tend to assume most people just try to get stuff blocked because its something they just dislike for whatever reason, rather than a full blown phobia. If someone had a phobia actually bad enough that looking at a picture gave them true problems, I don't see how they could function in real life, or be on the internet in the first place. Let alone in an exotic animal thread of all places.)

Then you'd have to put -everything- in links. There are plenty of people who are afraid of rats, snakes, and even dogs and cats.

It'd be understandable if someone was asking for there not to be live feeding photos of snakes posted or something, but I don't see how there could actually be a rule for not posting a group of animals that is the vast majority of animal life on earth, and of which there and numerous species of them in literally every concievable place on the planet.

(I always tend to assume most people just try to get stuff blocked because its something they just dislike for whatever reason, rather than a full blown phobia. If someone had a phobia actually bad enough that looking at a picture gave them true problems, I don't see how they could function in real life, or be on the internet in the first place. Let alone in an exotic animal thread of all places.)

It's a full-blown phobia, thank you. I have a diagnosis and therapy for it and everything. There's no need to harp on about it. I decided to ask because it would allow me to continue browsing the thread easily, and I said that I'd understand if it wasn't possible. This is a community where a lot of us know each other, so I didn't think it would be unreasonable to ask. The difference between linking all photos is that no one else has requested that photos of mammals or fish, for instance, be linked. It's a small enough community that I figured there would be no harm in asking and only a positive benefit if it worked out. I have accepted the answer is no, so I don't need any further judging about my life-functioning ability, thanks.

Edited by 7Deadly$ins

It's a full-blown phobia, thank you. I have a diagnosis and therapy for it and everything. There's no need to harp on about it. I decided to ask because it would allow me to continue browsing the thread easily, and I said that I'd understand if it wasn't possible. This is a community where a lot of us know each other, so I didn't think it would be unreasonable to ask. I have accepted the answer is no, so I don't need any further judging about my life-functioning ability, thanks.

I wasn't doubting you were afraid of them. Its not like a huge chunk of the western world hasnt had that taught to people or picked it up wherever.

I was just saying that's the general trend I have noticed online as far as invertebrates, wasn't referring to you specifically. My apologies, I sort of go off on tangents about this and get into unrelated territory.

Its an awfully frustrating thing in the perception of the general public.

(as far as the life functioning thing went, I meant that I have no idea how someone who was terrified of all invertebrates would function in a world where they are literally everywhere at all times, including on the person in question. Again, was just referring to people who mention being afraid of all "bugs", not you specifically.)

You were p reasonable when you asked, and I respect that! Much better than the reactions I see elsewhere

Edited by grimace

I've always wanted a ferret or Bird, but my cat would kill anything else I get.

I suppose that's case by case, but many cats get along very well with ferrets. Ferrets tend to give as good as they get in play-fighting and usually like to play pretty rough! I have a ferret, he's 6 years old (that is old for a ferret) and he's a lovely good boy. He's my baby. :3 When he was younger my friend got a little street-kitten and we introduced them as they were about the same size. They got along wonderfully and would wrestle and chase each other around our apartments and even groom each other. It was soo cuuuuute xd.png

She moved back to Canada after about a year and took the kitty with her, and my ferret still remembers her, as evidenced by him running down the hallway directly to her old apartment and sniffing at the door and standing up and scratching on it. He definitely wants to go inside and play with his friend! She's been gone for over three years, but he still remembers her. :3

When someone asks me to put something in a link because it affects them, then I will do it.

Because this is an encompassing thread rather than a specific one (like the dogs, cats), there is more reason to regulate the images here than the specific topics.

I don't see how it would be anyway unreasonable to ask for image linking. It's not as if I'm asking people to not post their pictures; everyone is welcome to it.

Honestly, if everyone was asked to post links rather than pictures, it wouldn't be an issue. It just...rather seems unfair to single out one type of pet in a thread that is meant for it. I love my tarantulas as much as I love my cats. They're very sweet, and honestly, I'm more concerned about my cats hurting me than I am my spiders.

People post because they want to share their pets. If one person's post has pictures right in the post, and the next is only links, the post with the picture is the one that's going to generate discussion. If everyone has to post only links, that unfairness is taken away, and everyone can contribute equally to the discussion instead of those without warmblooded vertebrates being essentially shoved to the side. Perhaps the solution is to have an invertebrates thread. Then people with a phobia can avoid it entirely. That way everyone is happy. smile.gif Since snakes are right in this topic header, people probably know more what they are getting into with that.

Edited by harlequinraven

I asked as politely as I possibly could have. I regret having done so because even though the photos were linked it didn't really work out. I probably should've just stopped browsing the thread, but I thought it would be okay to try to opening up method instead. Sorry to derail everyone's conversation.

I have two Zebra Finches that I've had for a year and a half, both are male so obviously I've never raised a clutch. They seem to get along well enough. They're just so cute and tweet and make beeping noises all day <3 I call 'em fluff nuggets.

Although, they love hoarding their leftover lettuce to make a nest in their nesting box(which is just for sleeping).

user posted image

Edited by Lutyd

Lookit my new baby! biggrin.gif

https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos...564&oe=535B7B84

His name is Aster! He's 8 months old, but I was totally convinced he was a hatchling when I opened up his box. He is a hypo lavender motley corn snake, and he's super precious! Right now he's hiding in his tank because he just got here yesterday, and everything is still scary and new. But I can't wait for him to finally come out to explore so I can take more pictures of him. c: