Dis

The sprite practice thread.

i got bored.. so i diceaded to pratice spriting a little by useing gradients sketch (i think.. i dont rember right.. it was on the first post so i bealiv its ok with me useing it to pratice also..)

anyway, i think i did good on this one.. only problame i had was with the far wing..

user posted image

Edited by steph1331

Overal, the lines are very bumpy. They need to be smothed quite a bit. The neck is weird.... also, the finger on the hand make it look broken. The far leg is way to pointy. and the near leg has no form to it. I could go on. It might be easier to fix thouse things, then fix more.

overal, yes!

Some other things: The wings finger on the near wing needs to reach all the way down past the wing. The dragon has no eye. The neck as a whole seems to fat for the dragon. The finger on the hand still looks broken. The legs (especially the far one) look like they don't have bones.

Looking better, yes.

A few things to work on:

-It looks like its neck is in front of its jaw, when it should probably be the other way around (try making the part of the jaw line you have going straight up more curved)

-On the near wing-- the curve along the inside or top (imagine the part that would be closest to us, or the 2nd line on the wing if you count from the outside) needs a lot of smoothing, as well as that outside line.

-It still looks like it has a broken finger, try giving it a more natural pose. Look at the other dragons on this board, and pictures of dragons. Even look at your own hand and try and make the hand this guy is making!

/edit: ninja.gif 'd by corteo... at least we mentioned different things!

Edited by senkatnovo

user posted image

i kept having trouble with the hand so i made it where it had two fingers.. and yeah, is it atleast alil better?

Yep, it's better. smile.gif It still does need a lot of smoothing out though. Right now, the eings look quite jagged, unless that's your intention. The limbs still needs some work and it doesn't really look like it can stand right now...

I'm bringing this guy in here. xd.png What should I do with it? I need crits! xd.png (Edit: please, don't crit the light source, I know it's wrong.)

post-15-1256390438.gif

Edited by waterspirit07

I think you need to show the shading a little more. Make more dark areas and lighten up the parts that are really close to the light sorce. That's all I can think of.

Diiiiis! I raided my photobucket and fount some old sketches I decided to toss in for use.

Sketch 1

Sketch 2

Sketch 3 For the bold XD

Old sketches are old, but hey, it's good practice XD

Its been a few days since my first try. Thanks for the crit/advice. Here's another try, still not totaly happy with it but I think it might be slightly better. As before any advice would be great.

user posted image

Credit: Sketch by Slaskia

Well, now I think the biggest issue is all the straight lines in the sprite. Especially the tail. Try bending it more. smile.gif

Well, here’s my attempt at spritelining one of kila’s sketches.

user posted image

I’m kind of new at this, so any comments/crit/advice?

Those lines are looking nice :3

The tail, back, and arms could use some smoothing in some places, and the tail could use a smoother transition between tail and tuft.

Great start X3

@poemonzoo - It looks great, but it seems too light. And the feet are waaay too dark.

But, don't listen to what I say; I know nothing about spriting, and am a cra**y critic.

--*----

I Youtube'd this and found nothing. So, I thought;

It would be a great idea if someone shows the steps from Pasting in a Sketch, Resizing it, and then Sprite-lining it, and put it on YouTube. Or, perhaps, the entire process, including coloring/shading.

I think that could reall yhelp people, such as me, out.

@poemonzoo - It looks great, but it seems too light. And the feet are waaay too dark.

But, don't listen to what I say; I know nothing about spriting, and am a cra**y critic.

--*----

I Youtube'd this and found nothing. So, I thought;

It would be a great idea if someone shows the steps from Pasting in a Sketch, Resizing it, and then Sprite-lining it, and put it on YouTube. Or, perhaps, the entire process, including coloring/shading.

I think that could reall yhelp people, such as me, out.

Thank you for the concrit; Now that I look at it, the feet are pretty dark. I was trying to make it look light but maybe I overdid it a bit xd.png;

I'll see if I can make that video.

anime4cb, whatever do you mean?

Well, actually I do know what you mean, but I could be misunderstanding;

I think you are saying these current sprites, or current sketches, are bad, or too detailed, or too simple. Which, may be offensive to others.

Pushing the drama away, here is my first ever *somewhat* good spriteline;

From Kila's 'tatterwing' sketch.

user posted image

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/3251/tatterwing.gif

I know it's a pretty rough sprite. It needs tons of cleaning. But still, what'd'ya think?

Kila's sketch: Here.

I tried shading Zovesta's sprite. Some areas are not shaded though. I shaded the head, horns, neck, back, and tail. - user posted image

You might want to have a lot more highlights and more contrast again.. I really can hardly see the lighting there.