Dis

The sprite practice thread.

Yes, I was replying to dragonness. xd.png

(Uhm... Muffin** gave me a link. xd.png; Ask her.)

Overal the lines are nice and clean. The only thing that bothers me, is the lines on the bottom and top of the head. They seem to flat.

The back of the tail *the side pointing towards the legs* should have light, too. And the light isn't broad enough. Again, too much texturing, not enough shading.

Actually, much of the tail wouldn't have light--it'd be blocked by the legs. You'd have shadowing going on there instead.

Good start, pearldragoness--make your areas of shading broader and define bone/muscle with them, and use shades that aren't so close together. That'll improve it lots.

when doing shading you need to block in your colors first. once they are blocked in you can add in your between "shades" and start to blend via solid cell shading or dithered texture shading.

what you have is tons of dithering all over the place and no actual shading. where are your highlights, mid tones, and shadows?

the light is coming from the upper left so where is the shadow on the back and side created by the wing? where is the shadow on the body that leads into the belly? Your offside (far side) limbs should be darker than anything else. Particularly those that are being viewed from UNDER the body or another part of the dragon. The chest will cause a shadow on the front legs. the tail will cause a shadow over the hocks of the rear legs.... all of these things need to be thought about. even the horns or ears if they are large can and do cause shadows upon the face, jaw, or neck of the dragon.

okay, here we go! First one I've done, so I think it turned out pretty good...Kinda...Anyways, ideas to make it better?

user posted image

(Dragon discription: Galaxy Dragons are completly nocturnal. Their dark purple scales help them blend in with the night sky and their gold speckles are meant to look like stars. They have long, flowing tendrils on their tale, which are commonly mistaked for shooting stars. They also have very large wings which allow them to hover. Their diet consits of a variety of night creatures native to wherever the dragon is living.

Eggs:Pure black with gold and silver speckles

Hatchlings: lighter purple with gold speckles and tendrils on tail

Mature Hatchlings: scales darken, grow large majestic wings

Alts: Pure black with silver speckles)

Edited by xKuryux

Whooo, so Blazeh found out how to make transparent backgrounds in Photoshop last night. What she tries first? A Verridith sprite. xd.png Progress:

user posted image

I did some work to it last night, but haven't gotten the chance to upload it yet. xd.png Any comments/tips/suggestions/redlines/et cetera? o=

EDIT: Size went funky again... o.o;

Edited by Verridith

Huh. Figures I'd find something to do besides sleep when I have class in the morning.

My first attempt at lining anything, Floari's wyvern from the first post:

user posted image

Only things bothering me are the tail and a few other bits that need smoothed out (particularly that one calf...)

Thanks for using my sketch, senkatnovo! <3

It's really really good for a first time! The lines are clean and make 1 pixel everywhere and the sprite has the good size (looks like tongue.gif).

Edited by floari

Thanks Floari! I'm pretty happy with it, really. May try coloring it, but actually need to go to class now. rolleyes.gif

xKuryux - Are you trying to make a dragon request? That sprite appears to be heavily based on Rynnfox's sketch. If that's true, then not only would this be the wrong place to make a dragon request, but it's against the rules to use the practice sketches/sprites in your own request. See the first post:

Anyone may spriteline, edit, color, or shade these for PRACTICE ONLY. However, you MUST follow the rules listed below.

Rules:

-You may NOT claim that you made them yourself.

-You may NOT post them ANYWHERE other than DC, and you must somehow give the original artist credit.

-You may not use them as suggestions on the thread, they are solely made for practice.

-If the artist has specific rules, pleeeease respect them. Without these guys, we wouldn't have this thread. (Also, this isn't a rule, but it'd be very sweet if you'd let them know you appreciate their work ;3)

Anyhow, been trying to get better at spritelining, using Gradient's prettyful sketch. Here's what I got:

user posted image

Critiques, please?

Alright, a few very minor changes, but would love to know if it looks better.

first:user posted image and edit: user posted image

@ Imbecamiel

Personally I think it looks lovely, nice smooth curves, and the only thing bothering me is how the 'hand' that's curled back behind the other arm doesn't show underneath, but it's that way in the drawing, too. Since I don't want to just pick on the sketch, though, I will point out that it appears that its stomach doesn't quite meet up with its arm. wink.gif

Colored the wings...

user posted image

Though, to self-critique, I think they need more contrast, or possibly lightened entirely. And actually, the finger-bits would probably be the color of the body of the dragon, not the webbing. hrm.

Hmmm... I would try sticking with normal shading, the dithered effect you have there doesn't suit that type of dragon I am afraid.

Hmmm... I would try sticking with normal shading, the dithered effect you have there doesn't suit that type of dragon I am afraid.

More like this, then?

user posted image

After comparing them, I would completely agree this looks better. xd.png

It does. The wing fingers look strange, though. Shouldn't they be sticking out rather than be caving in?

They probably look strange because I hadn't done anything with them other than leave them the outline color (which was black).

Does the left side look any better?

user posted image

..And maybe it'd help if I actually started with the body, but that's rather intimidating. blink.gif

xd.png The body is the easiest part! For me, anyway. Also, that looks better, but maybe take the brightest highlights on the wing fingers down to the next shade? >__>

Working on the body now (instead of studying for my exam in half an hour, oops). Went with a paaaale shade of blue, so I'll wait on the wing fingers until I have more of the body done. I've got the neck looking decent (I think), but arms are annoying me. Skinny!

I have to admit, trying this makes me appreciate our spriters even more. xd.png

Look at bats. :| They need to be small in order for their wings to carry them, Realistically, all of these dragon wings should be much MUUUUCH larger, like three times as big, but meh. xd.png