Dis

The sprite practice thread.

I'v been working on Slaskia's first sketch. They are really beautiful dragons, does anyone know if they were ever compleated? anyway this is mine. It failsuser posted image

i know it is, sorry. I knoticed my stupidity after i posted it, but besides the fact that it's a godzilla dragon, whats wrong with it?

edit: better? user posted image

Edited by Moonflight

This is my first spritelines EVER. How am I doing? Not a full sprite though, just a head.

user posted image

I made these a bit ago, the fire dog was scanned, the others were made by complete scratch.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

I would like some help and constuctive criticism please! smile.gif

@TDC, the outline looks a bit choppy, and the horns look weird, but other then that nicely done smile.gif

@Moonflight, JPGS are bad, PNGS are fine, and GIFs are great for transparencies and animating

Edited by Nintendogs4ever

Moonflight: First, what Nin said about not saving as .jpg. It's pretty good for your first try, but try smoothing some of the lines, especially on the tail/fin thing. It's back also has a really straight line that you should try curving a bit (unless it's hidden by the wing, which it probably is, and in that case you can just get rid of it). Hope that helps smile.gif

TDC: Also pretty good for your first try. The two things that I can see right now with some issues, is the neck and the snout. First off, the neck is very inconsistent. It starts out thick, gets thinner, and then thickens out again. Try making it the same width. Making that straight line curvier could help. And as for the snout, it seems rather thin and shaped like a ball, and there doesn't seem to be much room for the jaw. Try connecting it to the head a few pixels up or lowering the jawline? Hope I helped. ^^

And Nin, I like 'em, very cute. Sorry, I don't really have anything constructive to say, lol.

Moonflight: First, what Nin said about not saving as .jpg. It's pretty good for your first try, but try smoothing some of the lines, especially on the tail/fin thing. It's back also has a really straight line that you should try curving a bit (unless it's hidden by the wing, which it probably is, and in that case you can just get rid of it). Hope that helps smile.gif

Wait, I should get rid of the line on the back? I'm not sure if it's supode to be hidden, but the dragon doesnt look right without it. I know I kned to smooth out my lines. I spent a lot of time reading spriting tutorials and hava gained the knowldge to fix my mistake. I didn't know it mattered how i saved it. Oh well. that at least is easy to fix. I think.

Edited by Moonflight

Here is a little sprite I made... I'm not even sure what it is. I called it SPLAT because it looked like a splated egg.

I decided to fix the lines before I did anything else... so concrit?

post-25-1264356407.png

Okay, I tried spriting a bit, so first here are the lines of a dragon:

user posted image

And here's the coloring & shading:

user posted image

Crits/comments? Also what should I do with the ears? I kinda like the top right ones but I dunno...

And yea the colors should be more yellowish <__< This looks like an evolved mint xd.png

I suggest working on leg anatomy a bit more. biggrin.gif And try making the dragon more detailed - it looks rather doughy. The shading itself, however, needs a wee bit of work. Don't try dithering right away. Do cell first. And add WAY more contrast and less colours.

i really cant sprite but i can sketch then somebody can draw sprite for me? also they can improving thier spring skill?

here my sketch http://i50.tinypic.com/detsoo.png

just shark head it all

and please make it small.. shrink it until it can fits in siggy

Edited by destiny hope

I suggest working on leg anatomy a bit more. biggrin.gif And try making the dragon more detailed - it looks rather doughy. The shading itself, however, needs a wee bit of work. Don't try dithering right away. Do cell first. And add WAY more contrast and less colours.

Okay thanx, will try^w^

Not a problem. ^^

Problems? Besides how thick it is all around - it's supposed to stay the same width. >_>

user posted image

Hollabaloo, thats not that bad, in fact, thats pretty good for your first try. In a few weeks, you'll be as good as me...

*hint, you can pm me for help on sprites*

What would you guys like to see edited into the front post to make learning easier o:?

could anyone post a vary simple sketch for spriteing practice, i could use it, i got a thread that needs a lot of sprite help, (also, i know a little unrealted to this, but if you know how to sprite well, check-out the thread mountain-ant dragon, i really need help, thanks smile.gif)

This means we can take other people's really good but messy sketch art and fix it up!?

I love doing that!

I'll be sure to post the result of me fixing something up!

Edit: Oh, spriting DX

*not much of in interest in spriting.*

Nevermind then, good luck to all who are trying!

Edited by scratcher_cat

Good start. Check out some spriting guides and look for tips on how to smooth out sprites.

Alright, I'll go to the Dragon Requests area and look around. There should be some tips.

All I really found were some things about Anti-Aliasing.

Edited by RheaDark