Dis

The sprite practice thread.

Here goes nothin'

user posted image

Needs moar contrast? ...or different body colors, but I was lost on ideas and just went with blue. I like blue.

Edited by senkatnovo

Nah, colours are alright, it just needs a lot more contrast... and maybe someone to cut down colours. xd.png; The lines themselves need some smoothing, I believe.

TBH, I'm not even sure if I used all the colors I've got up in the corner. o_o; Contrast I can definitely work on. It kind of annoys me that the feet don't have toes, persay, but I wouldn't know where to start without changing the lining, and it's not my sketch to do that on, anyway. xd.png

xd.png Smooth the lines and add more contrast and I think it'll be a beauty! Edited by Zovesta

user posted image

Better. Still not droolworthy by any means, but I'm pleased. Time to try something else, had my head in that for far too long.

Whooo, so Blazeh found out how to make transparent backgrounds in Photoshop last night. What she tries first? A Verridith sprite. xd.png Progress:

user posted image

I did some work to it last night, but haven't gotten the chance to upload it yet. xd.png Any comments/tips/suggestions/redlines/et cetera? o=

Anybody? o3o

xd.png From now on, try having smooth lines! Will make it look much better... though, I agree, it is pretty nice. smile.gif

Verridith, sorry, didn't see this before. It's alright, but the outlines need a darker colour, and it looks pillowshaded so far. It looks very nice, though! Hm... the legs seem a bit off, though.

xd.png From now on, try having smooth lines! Will make it look much better... though, I agree, it is pretty nice. smile.gif

Any specific spots? I've been staring at it too long to see them.

Well sorry. happy.gif;; I'll try and work more on that next time.

Edited by senkatnovo

Verridith, sorry, didn't see this before. It's alright, but the outlines need a darker colour, and it looks pillowshaded so far. It looks very nice, though! Hm... the legs seem a bit off, though.

Okies, thank you! Can't work on it tonight... having to make another website layout/recode all my pages because Webs decided to be mean and put a big blue banner everywhere. xd.png I'll darken the outline tomorrow after school. 8)

But one thing - may I ask what 'pillowshading' is? ^^ /n00b-

But one thing - may I ask what 'pillowshading' is? ^^ /n00b-

Pillowshading is when you just shade around the edges instead of allowing for the lighting effect. Can also be used to mean that the shading ignores anatomical changes such as muscle definition or whatever.

For example:

user posted image

user posted image

Well, this is actually from the Wrangler dragon thread. I'm not sure what's wrong with it but I'm sure it's not done (the white outlines aside. I just noticed that). I prefer if I tried fixing it instead of sending it to Dove's Shop, so can anyone give some advice? smile.gif

Edited by Rosella Surmane

Umm... I changed all the colored lines to black, not 100% sure why. I'm going to try smoothing out some lines I just noticed are jagged. Any other help?

post-15-1254967804.png

Rosella: Ok, every single part of the body has shadows. Look at your body. There need to be lots more shadows everywhere, and highlights. And they have to contrast more! So, basically, take away some of the shades that are closest to the base and make the rest darker.

Pugs: Looks great! The mouth is a bit strange, though.

I didn't know how to fix the mouth, so I attempted to close it instead. (btw, Thanks for the tip Zovesta!)

post-15-1254970588.png

Rosella, there's no clear definition between the wing and the body, and it doesn't have a wing arm. :X You need to outline those with your shading, and give the dragon some muscle structure (the neck looks particularly flat right now. Also, remember that wing membranes curve, and concave curves reflect light differently. The head and face also need more defined detail.

The far wing wouldn't be quite so hidden behind the near one, either--it would be placed much farther forward, in the area the dragon's head and neck is. Also, there's something very artificial-looking about the pattern right now. You'll want to dapple those spots more and vary their sizes and shapes.

Edited by dracchan

Ouch, I don't even know what's a wing arm. xd.png I'm going to assume the wing bone that connects to the dragon's body. I see that I fail there. If you look closely, I attempted at giving its neck some muscle as well as a rib cage down there. I tried giving it a cheek and I fail again.

Hm, true. It sounds much better. Maybe the patterns are odd because I'm basing it on a cow... It's the wrangler dragon thus the cow-like patterns on its head, neck and body. The other splotches are mostly random so I'll tweak those.

Thanks a lot for the advice! biggrin.gif

EDIT: I'm actually not very sure what I'm doing. 0.o

user posted image

I think it's better? Does the muscle spots look weird? Does it even look like muscles and can anyone actually see it? Anyway, how's the overall progress on it? The redlines are supposed to be the far wing. Just wondering if it's correct before I start shading.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!

Well, you need to cut away some more of the close shades... and put more shadows where needed. But don't use so many shades for the shadows. smile.gif

Just wondering where should more shadows be? unsure.gif Erm, what close shades? (Yeah, I don't know a lot of things.) I actually used only three shades of shadows for the brown part of the body. That means six about twelve colours in total are all shades.

Well, er, it's a good start. biggrin.gif Let's see, you have to get the lines right. Currently, it looks crooked. Try giving it a rid cage (that means make it's chest bigger). The feet also needs some work since it looks like it's missing a bone...