Dis

The sprite practice thread.

I tried spritelining Slaskia's first sketch:

user posted image

I'm new to spriting, so any concrit is greatly appreciated smile.gif

Edited by saphira888

It looks pretty good, saph!

I noticed you cropped it down as well... ( i saw it before, was too lazy to comment on it )

As of right now, I can't imagine any errors with it.

I tried cleaning my sprite up a bit...I'll post it in a sec..... when I do, Opinions and concrit is appreciated. =)

blazin: Make the shadows a wee bit lighter, cut down the shades a bit, and spread the shading over a bit more.

Well, actually I did a bit more, with help from Corteo, who's been being like a teacher for me. - user posted image

Ok... I still say that you shoudl cut colors and add more contrast, but not by lightening highlights and darkening shadows. xd.png

with help from Corteo, who's been being like a teacher for me

more like blind trying to lead the blind LOL

more like blind trying to lead the blind LOL

I'm sorry, but that seriously made me

ROFLMAO.

Seriously, it did. LOL, That is the funniest thing I've heard all day.

But, seriously, you're a good spriter/shader/w/e u wanna call it Cort.

Back to my work;

As I said previously, I tried spriting Kila's tatterwing sketch. I posted it, and now I've been super slowly cleaning it up now.

Before --> After

(Still working on this, btw. I plan on taking it all the way 'till its finished. I actually want to complete a project, for once.)

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

I have to fix many many many things up, but still, concrit is appreciated.

You might want to start by just cleaning up your lines and smoothing curves. You have lots of little stairs all over the wings, body, and tail.

I decided to start coloring. The shading is pretty much fail, so any help would be lovely. :3

user posted image

Edit: I did some more and fixed it up a bit.

user posted image

Edited by saphira888

@saphira: You're not done shading yet, right? The fins have no shading at all. Well, the tail and the other thingy, that is. The body shading is great though. smile.gif Try adding some muscle to this guy. Oh, and putting in hihglights (lighter colours for parts that are exposed to direct light) would help. This guy is a water dweller, yes? So you can come up with some pretty cool underwater effects. I have no idea how to do that, but others will help you. smile.gif

@Kazzi: It's very good. smile.gif The head shape is a bit odd. Around the neck and chest can be smoothed out some. So does the belly. The hind leg needs most work. I really like the tail though. Nice and smooth.

Oh, I need help with this guy:

user posted image

The problem now is that I'm not sure he can stand with those legs. He has a pretty big mass...

Pointers to any other problem would be great as well!

Edited by Rosella Surmane

I tried a design on the wing-like things, not quite sure how I like it:

user posted image

Rosella: Thanks for the advice! And no, I haven't shaded those parts yet. I'll try adding some muscle and highlights. smile.gif

Edit: user posted image

Edited by saphira888

I like the wing thing, but there seems to be something off with it... I like the tail lines. One way to make them better is by lightening the lines as they reach the top. So the bottommost lines would be darker because of the shadows. Oh, now I notice the highlights... xd.png Maybe you should try making them more obvious.

Overall, it's pretty good. smile.gif But there does seem to be something off with the shadow placement...

I'm gonna try to do the lines for Gradient's totally awesum sketch, hopw that's okay tongue.gif

I've begun spritelines for Slaskia's third sketch. I don't think I like spriting so far, but that's probably due to my ADD-ness.

EDIT: Out of impatience, here's what I have so far:

user posted image

Crits? Suggestions? I know it's early, but have I done it right so far?

Edited by mouldy.k

We apparently have the same taste, mouldy!

This one's mine:

user posted image Mine's older but I can't upload my latest one right now. This one's got curves that can be smoothed out and such so yeah.

I think your's is coming along nicely. smile.gif But look closer and you can see several spots that are bumpy. The mouth seems a bit odd and the neck has a very straight line there. Try curving it more. The back area is okay but a bit jagged. Over at the tail, you're pretty much putting like one pixel then one pixel then one pixel and going on before switching to two pixels then two pixels then another two pixels... Try having one pixel, two pixel, one pixel, two pixel. That's one way to curve it more, if you understood it at all. xd.png

Hope this helps!

Ah, I see. I took your suggestions on the jaggedness, and here is the "finished" spriteline, though I'm noticing some things you're probably going to point out as jagged or weird, especially on the end of the tail (not the fin, the tail).

user posted image

EDIT: Realized I forgot the one line on its tail. If it has a name, I don't know what it's called. Also changed the same line going down its neck and something on its near wing (I forget exactly what).

user posted image

Edited by mouldy.k

It looks better. smile.gif But yeah. You're right. Jagged lines. xd.png

The base of the neck looks odd and irregular. The top part of the dragon's body looks kinda flat-ish. The part near the tail's pretty good. smile.gif But the hind fin thingies there looks jagged. The far bit (near the tip of the near wing) has a slight bump. There's a sort-of extra line near the end of the tail so it looks kinda choped off there. And yeah, the tail fin would need some work.

Right. I'll see if I can find everything you mentioned.

What do you think of this? It's my sprite for the cornucopia dragon.

user posted image

EDIT: Just from looking at it now, I can see that there's an extra line on the cornucopia, its mouth is weird, the top left vine is funky, and the bottom left vine appears to be missing a pixel at the tip. Did I miss anything else?

user posted image

Okay, just did a few edits and it already looks better. But I can guess you have something to add.

Edited by mouldy.k

Just a question about this topic: are you allowed to post sprites that are going o be used in a dragon concept in the suggestion area (if you made the sprite yourself), or is this topic strictly or practice sprites?

Okay, well here is one:

user posted image

There are stll some areas that are not done (the feet, eyes, tail, thing on head) but I would like to know how it i coming along.

And here is another one: user posted image

I entered this one in the Christmas dragon contest, and now that it is over, I would like to improve y sprite for practice.

The neck seems a little thick and the body seems a tad bit short o: on the christmas pine tree-ish one.