Dis

The sprite practice thread.

okay, i attempted at the rib cage and i completely redid the legs and feet.. how does it look now?

user posted image

Hm. it still looks like it doesn't have a rib cage... Try making its chest bigger than its stomach. wink.gif The legs look better as well, but it does look wrong. Try making the top part of the leg wider so that it looks like it has more flesh. The tail has quite the amount of jagged lines as well.

Before you sprite, I suggest you go over anatomy. Study horses, dogs, cats, lizards, and crocs.

Ba-bam, this is basically what I meant. Remove some of the shades and work more with the ones you have.

user posted image

Can anybody recommend some free programs to work my sprites on? happy.gif Thanx!

I use Gimp because I can seperate the colors on different layers. But, I admit that for a beginner, it's not an easy program.

Whoa, cool edit, Zovesta! Very textured and pretty. smile.gif I'll have a closer look at it when I open up Setgale later.

Yeah, I normally check for mistakes first before posting then I wait for people to look for mistakes. And when no one said anything, I sprited it so, yeah... Anyway, thanks!

Well, here's a pretty good program. http://www.humanbalance.net/gale/us/download.html Best part is when you can zoom in a lot...

It looks better now. smile.gif And I think it's got a rib cage... The tail does need some fixing up still though. The dragon's right arm (the far one) is a bit odd; too straight to be specific. The legs are better as well, but they still need some more work since it doesn't look like the dragon can stand in that position.

P.S. I think the sprite's too wide...

xd.png I can't shade without texturing. Turns out like my hydra in my signature. Well, hope I was helpful!

user posted image

Okie, so i edited the sprite.. i pushed the tail up alil so it wasnt over 100 for width and i redid the feet again.. and how is it? i double checked the sprite this time for any erors i could find.. and well yeah.

your light source is confusing? Do you have a definite point for the light to be coming from? 'Cause that will help you shade it, at the moment shadows seem to be facing different directions. For example the shading seems to get darker towards the end of the dragon's snout.

Also, you should try to check the anatomy before colouring/shading it. It will make it easier.

Think about where the bones and muscles are in your dragon... right now it looks noodly.

And try to smooth the lines a little...

Ah, also where the spots touch the edges you have removed the outline and changed it to the spot colour. This doesn't look very good.

You were tons helpful, Zovesta. smile.gif You're put up for some credit.

I got around doing the dragon's left wing. Er...

user posted image

The dragon's left wing isn't concave, it's convex, I think. If the bottom of the dragon's wing is concave, I just figured the top would be convex, if anyone got that at all...

Anyway, advice on fixing it up?

(Yes, thread creator knows how much I'm not working on the sprite on the thread and she's fine with it. But this is faster...)

user posted image

How is it now? i got rid of the color.. fixed where i edited the outline for the spots and redid the head.. and is it just me or does the neck look off-ish?..

Well, it's better. smile.gif I like the new head better.

Well, I'm not sure about the neck since it looks OK, but you can get rid of that bump above its arm (where the far arm sticks out). The leg still needs some fixing and so does the tail. Right now, the tail looks somewhat formless...

user posted image

hows that? i edited where the bump was and i redid the tail again.. and i would have redone the feet.. but i dont know what to do to um..

Found this thread and thought I'd have a go. Here's my attempt at spriting one of the sketches by Slaskia. I know its bad so any advice would be great biggrin.gif

user posted image

I thought I'd try turn a sketch into a sprite, just to try something new....

I tried one of Slaskia's sketches...

Well I tried. >_>

user posted image

@steph: Your sprite is coming along nicely. smile.gif Maybe you can ignore the tail for a moment and try fixing the feet first. Try making them bigger and just more stronger-looking. Right now, it looks like the dragon can't really stand on it. Once you got that done, try making the tail look slimmer.

@Kalan: Your sprite's quite good. smile.gif I have the same problem with you as well though. Too many straight lines. Check out around the tail, stomach, neck, those little places. Instead of having straight lines (which makes the sprite look very agular and stuff) try curving it.

@Panda: Your's is nice as well. smile.gif But again, there are straight lines here and there. There are also bumps. The head has quite the number of straight lines. Around the end of the tail, it looks like it got tiny too soon. Try smoothing those out.

@Elena: Well, it looks very good. smile.gif But around the stomach looks odd, the way the neck and stomach is bending, I mean. Bit jagged? The limbs look odd s well. The far hind leg looks the oddest, I think.

And yes, I know it's supposed to be liquid-ish sort of melted metal. I looked at 'Fi's Metals' before. smile.gif

Edited by Rosella Surmane

user posted image

hows the leg now? ill add the leg that is farther away once i know that the leg i have is good..

Mm, nope. The previous one was better. xd.png It needs to be bigger... Maybe I can try redlining a leg though I won't promise that it would come out good.

gah! lol okay, u can redline.. cause i dont know what to do to the leg now..