Dis

The sprite practice thread.

I'll try dimming those colors...

And Rosella, I think that place your thinking about is a leg... I can try to make it more obvious though!

Wow, thaks, Rayne! smile.gif

Oh, that was the first edit that was wrong. I was just wondering if that was what Zovesta had in mind (probably not though).

Hm, big head again. I tend to do that wrong. So make the head smaller, got that.

Well, since I'm actually going to change the feathers into flames, I don't think it's capable of flight... More like gliding (I don't think anything would be capable of gliding with fiery wings though) or perhaps to choose mates, maybe.

Nope, they're just flat colours. That would be very weird and wrong shading otherwise.

Hm, good to know. I;ll keep that in mind. smile.gif

And I agree on that bit! Fantasy still needs some logic in it!

Oh, er, leg. xd.png Sorry, I didn't get that. Maybe you should make it more obvious. smile.gif

Bend the same way...? Oh, you mean something like this?

user posted image

Well, this is wrong since it apparently looks as though the wing split into another...

Thanks, waterspirit! smile.gif

@Panda: Well, the one with the mouth closed looks better. smile.gif There are still a few kinks here and there like uneven lines. Look, there's one at the top of the neck.

@Stealthypugs: Hm... Stomach still looks odd... Mostly, it's around when it connects with the arm.

@Pasii: It looks nice. smile.gif Since it's not finished, I can't really say much.

Wings aren't flatflatflat like paper thin o: with your placement it looks like it's split in two because they're SO close together that even the feathers overlap and only split in one section. If you were to look at a dragon, the wings wouldn't be RIGHT next to eachother on the back, they'd be on either side with a gap in between so they'd be on different heights, have different lengths, and thus they wouldn't be stuck right together.

You need to add the rest of the back wing peeking just a tiny bit behind the other wing, and the connection to the body. Different feather sizes, and different lengths. Also, it's thin in random parts and is missing like 90% of its feathers D: poor draggy wouldn't be able to fly. -agrees with Raynie- Yush, listen to rayne, she is the smarts. Study wing anatomy, you'll find it's a LOT easier to pick out your problems :3

Actually, this one's the edited one. Sorry. That one was the old one. xd.png

user posted image

Yeah, I noticed some of the problems before, like how I missed the connection of far wing to body, so I edited it and I'm now not sure how to make it better...

P.S. The feathers are going to be fiery once I get around shading so I don't think the dragon's going to be able to fly, and besides, it hops. :3

Edited by Rosella Surmane

I made some redlines for you and got carried away. xd.png I know the redlines are very sloppy. Oh well xd.png.

post-15-1255695841.png

Oh, no wonder the wing looked so tiny... 0.o

It was a good thing you got carried away. smile.gif I never noticed why the near wing looked weird. And oh, I can see how the other wing's going to bend now. Thanks, waterspirit!

Okay, I'm back with another problem. xd.png

user posted image

Well, this one has a broken neck, apparently. The head is twisted wrong.

The one underneath is just so you can see the head clearly since the brown one sort of just melds together.

user posted image

Well, it's pulling an owl. For such a short neck, it's head should be turned more to us.

Thanks. smile.gif I might have done that in the first place, but I don't know how to draw proper dragon heads that are half-turned to us or something like that. xd.png Advice?

You might also want to make the neck more... fluid. xd.png It looks rather stiff.

Hm, true. They do look somewhat stiff... This, I completely don't know how to do. Advice? xd.png

Waterspirit, who are you refering to? I can't see a single airbrushed sprite on this page.

daeidre, you've got some very nice dithering going on there, and a good pallet for shading. You could probably expand your shadows a little bit.

I'm bored, so I'm practicing today smile.gif

Did a spriteline of one of Faeryl's sketchs (Sketch)

user posted image

Found this one quite difficult because she has so much detail in the sketch.

Things I'm aware need to be fixed:

head crest is wonky (gave up on the lines for it, lol)

back foot [r] (wasn't in the sketch and I am not good at scratch spriting or feet)

back foot [l] (foot looks off)

jagged lines on legs

missing "fur" on the front of the chest (would be "textured" in during coloring)

Anything else that I'm missing? I've been looking at the sprite for a while so it's hard for me to see it at this point.

Daeidre: that is very pretty biggrin.gif I especially like the head and the expression, only thing I can see is the the end of the tail looks like it needs a little shape, the 2 very long straight lines look out of place on such a smooth and shapely body.

Are you using a brush tool? If you are, it's supposed to be pencil tool. wink.gif

Nope, pencil all the way ^^

And thank-you Vicats, I was really pleased with the palette too.

@daeidre: I actually didn't even notice it was ditthered. Cool. I think that's a good thing, right?

@Mirry: It's nice. smile.gif Other than those that you pointed out, you might want to smooth out the lines at the tail fur thingy as well. Right now, it's quite jagged. Same goes for the wings. Maybe the front arm can be a bit thicker? It looks skinny now. 0.o

I don't think you should make the arm thicker - it's supposed to be an anorexic dragon, right?

Practice sprite! :D

This is one of Slaskia's (I believe the first link).

user posted image

Please critique. Does anyone have any tips for the tailfin-type thing?

(I took a few creative liberties with the sprite... I hope no one minds. ^-^')

Some things to be fixed:

-Back paw

-Tail fin

-Shading? (It's supposed to look textured)

-Shading around the arm - where it meets the body

Edited by dark<fyre>

I'm not good at spritelines, so I critique the shading. It needs far more contrast. It's so subtle right now, that all I can make out are small dots.

I don't think you should make the arm thicker - it's supposed to be an anorexic dragon, right?

Yeah, if you look at the drawing it's supposed to be a very long and very slim arm. Im not sure if I can make the arm thicker without completely changing the feel of it.