TJ09

2020-03-22 - March Dragon Release

I didn't think I'd care for the Crystallines much, but they've definitely grown on me

I actually like both.  Same as some of the others, I find the sprite-changing feature on the Stratos Dragons to be really cool and interesting.  The Crystalline Dragon is great too.  Can't wait to see mine grow up into adults.  

3 hours ago, Shokomon said:

Aww! I can't believed I missed these new eggs!

Stratos dragons remind me of an old completed concept. I always called them "Sky whales" but they had a different name...

It's going to take forever to get these now... And I'm not on this place that often anymore...

These are actually a redo of a very old sky whale themed public concept I worked on! They were already called the Stratos back then. I asked Doha to help with the rework because I wanted Doha in cave (they hadn't had a dragon released yet at that time), but they are still my sky whale babies~

Thank you again TJ and spriters. These are beautiful additions to the cave. I can't wait to build an army of sky whales. :D

1 hour ago, TCA said:

These are actually a redo of a very old sky whale themed public concept I worked on! They were already called the Stratos back then.

Ooh, gosh! They sure have come a long way since then. I loved the originals, but these are a whole notch more stunning. ❤️

@TCA Would you possibly be willing to share some of the old art? I think the evolution of dragon sprites is fascinating :wub:

I am thoroughly in love with the Stratos. I’m gonna build an army of them…or shall I say “flotilla?”

2 hours ago, Niyaka said:

@TCA Would you possibly be willing to share some of the old art? I think the evolution of dragon sprites is fascinating :wub:

8PChoo7.png

The original iteration was sketched by a now-inactive in-cave artist. As you can see, it was much more... whale-ey? It also didn't have dusk/dawn forms yet.

2tTQQF9.png

This, meanwhile, was the first sketch of the current iteration! I hadn't settled on whether I wanted to make the back teal or gray like the original's belly yet, but as you can see I eventually landed on gray. The color tints for the different time-of-day lighting was Doha's idea! I also ended up adjusting the timeframes so each color was visible for similar times, and scrapped the stars on the night coloration.

Edited by TCA

I was expecting to love the crystal babies more based on their color, but I am absolutely in love with those sky whales. I need so many D:

@TCA Aw, I remember those!! They’ve certainly come a long way, but without sacrificing too much of the whale-y charm. 

That first iteration of the sky whale is good too, but yeah, I like the current one more.  Anyway, yeah, thanks for the info.  And thank you, Doha and TCA, as well as any other spriters who worked on this!

Two absolutely stunning releases - thank you TJ and artists. Hope y'all are staying safe too!

It seems like in order to unlock all the images of adults in the Stratos' encyclopedia you've got to have 3 of each growing up while in each particular stage.

Like, I have 5 adult Stratos now, but because 4 of them grew up while in their dawn mode only the dawn adult image has been unlocked.

Edit: Did the Spirit Wards work the same way? I can't recall.

edit2: or unlock by clicking 15 adults when they're in the right stage, although it's probably better for your sleep schedule to pick up three that will grow up when you're asleep.

Edited by Ripan

I ended up rather liking this release. Some have said the Crystalline ones are pretty generic, but we've had a bunch of cliched elemental and gem themed dragons and I don't remember anyone complaining about that, and I like them anyway.

The Stratos turned out better than I thought. I'm definitely naming one after "The Wind Fish", which I've had reserved for a while now, though sadly not without extra spaces. Good job, spriters.

I have adults of both of these beautiful dragons. They are both so amazing. They are both so gorgeous. Thank you again, TJ and spriters.

Complete oblivion. If I hadn't seen all the new baby dragons in the nursery, I still wouldn't know. I got out of knowing when the new kids would be arriving after the long holiday season.

Thanks to TJ, spriters, creators, and fellow dragon enthusiasts.

Did I not post after TCA's old-art post? Could've sworn I did, huh.  It's so incredible to look at the old sprites vs the current Stratos, getting to see what was so different, what was changed, what was kept, etc. I'm not a spriter in any way and I normally stay out of the DR area in general so it's especially interesting for me to see the extent of the changes concepts/sprites can go through. 

I love the icy coloring on the Crystalline.  Reminds of the blue in glaciers...plus spiky.  Stratos are great too. I really like the colors and the backstory.  Thanks for a great release, and congrats to spriters!

Greek-named like Dragon look nice. 👌

Edited by Tenhi

On 3/27/2020 at 10:46 PM, TCA said:

8PChoo7.png

The original iteration was sketched by a now-inactive in-cave artist. As you can see, it was much more... whale-ey? It also didn't have dusk/dawn forms yet.

2tTQQF9.png

This, meanwhile, was the first sketch of the current iteration! I hadn't settled on whether I wanted to make the back teal or gray like the original's belly yet, but as you can see I eventually landed on gray. The color tints for the different time-of-day lighting was Doha's idea! I also ended up adjusting the timeframes so each color was visible for similar times, and scrapped the stars on the night coloration.

IT IS THE SKY WHALES!

THEY LIIIIIIIIVE!

On 3/27/2020 at 7:18 PM, TCA said:

These are actually a redo of a very old sky whale themed public concept I worked on! They were already called the Stratos back then. I asked Doha to help with the rework because I wanted Doha in cave (they hadn't had a dragon released yet at that time), but they are still my sky whale babies~

Thank you TCA.

These were one of my faves. It's good to see them come back in some form!

You know, back when we had the old Completed list, this was one of the dragons I was always praying would show up on the site one day. But then the old concepts were trashed, so I thought I would never see them again. So, it makes me really happy to see them. A dream to reality! :D

Actually now that I look at it. The Crystalline dragons remind of an old Glass Dragon concept. Too bad the sprites aren't semi-transparent...

1 hour ago, Shokomon said:

Actually now that I look at it. The Crystalline dragons remind of an old Glass Dragon concept. Too bad the sprites aren't semi-transparent...

I saw the same similarity. There were some wonderful concepts that I hope are still under consideration for making it onto the site.