trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

Sorry about your in-law, trystan. :(

151 (!)(!)(!) :o new cases yesterday, 128 of them on my island, and three additional deaths. :(

32 minutes ago, Lagie said:

151 (!)(!)(!) :o new cases yesterday, 128 of them on my island, and three additional deaths.

That is scary. What is the official reaction to the increase?

52 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

That is scary. What is the official reaction to the increase?

Stupidity.

Screenshot_20200924-142202.thumb.jpg.e5e1cf279cccd5440817a6e177aa6bc2.jpg

And our PM is an MD. He should know better.

Maybe he means the virus will run out of victims soon ...

@Lagie Ouch! What a moron. Or I should say covidiot. There seems to be a lot of that going around. And you are right that if he is an MD he should know better, but obviously they don't all.

@Lagie Your prime minister should just move in with Trump, Johnson, Lukashenko and the like. 

Or, as we Germans would say: Put them all in a big sack, close it and give it a beating. You'll always hit the right one. (I guess we really are barbarians.) 

57 minutes ago, olympe said:

as we Germans would say

No, I would not.

3 hours ago, olympe said:

@Lagie Your prime minister should just move in with Trump, Johnson, Lukashenko and the like. 

Or, as we Germans would say: Put them all in a big sack, close it and give it a beating. You'll always hit the right one. (I guess we really are barbarians.) 

Well, he does consider Trump an ally, still, which is scary in itself.

I found myself almost obsessively sanitizing and washing my hands today, much more than my usual quite a lot in a day.

120159410_4020912554596392_7948809640992

Today's update:

81 new cases, 75 on my island and 6 additional deaths. :(

IMG-20200924-WA0011.thumb.jpg.46577035d874544b5194bb709715b60c.jpg

Edited by Lagie
Updating

6 hours ago, Lagie said:

120159410_4020912554596392_7948809640992

This is so true.  Hard to believe what your PM said.

7 hours ago, Classycal said:

This is so true.  Hard to believe what your PM said.

And then... in my Dragon Cave ads, no less, this shows up:

Screenshot_20200924-214409.thumb.jpg.59fa1bcc2cda20f225c1a625fd8d9936.jpgScreenshot_20200924-214318.thumb.jpg.1b817a6d6d350c5534445fa416e3b0be.jpg

(It rotates between the two images.)

So clearly we're not past this!

One of our neighboring towns, Remscheid, has reached 71.2 new infections per 100,000 population per week. They're starting to close affected schools and kindergartens. Limited contact (I think it was 5 people or up to 2 households being allowed to meet in public), wearing masks during lessons at school... and probably other things, too, although I didn't pay too much attention to the radio today.

In Solingen, we've reached 23.2, which is a good trend from last week.

That's not good, about the schools, @olympe. One of ours out west has infections now. :(

I don't have television so I listen to all our PM announcements and medical updates on the radio. Today in my shop, one of my customers sounded like the main medical lady, and I said, "Oh, you sound like Dr. Dahl-Regis," and she replied with "That's because I am Dr. Dahl-Regis." I have to confess I nearly squee'd. XD She's one of our Covid/contact tracing experts.

1 hour ago, Lagie said:

I don't have television so I listen to all our PM announcements and medical updates on the radio. Today in my shop, one of my customers sounded like the main medical lady, and I said, "Oh, you sound like Dr. Dahl-Regis," and she replied with "That's because I am Dr. Dahl-Regis." I have to confess I nearly squee'd. XD She's one of our Covid/contact tracing experts.

Sounds like a fun encounter. :D 

2 hours ago, Lagie said:

oh that's awesome!

4 hours ago, olympe said:

Sounds like a fun encounter. :D 

2 hours ago, trystan said:

oh that's awesome!

It was, though I managed to refrain from asking a gazillion Covid questions or from completely blurting out what Covidiots some of my coworkers are.

On the other hand, my cousin is an anesthesiologist, and here he is Covid-safe for surgery today:

IMG-20200925-WA0007.thumb.jpg.cc0fbbb6e87f6cae4ae47f675c31d2da.jpg

5 minutes ago, Lagie said:

completely blurting out what Covidiots some of my coworkers are.

that would be me!

many thanks to your cousin, too.

@Lagie

Now that was a cool meeting! I bet I wouldn't have managed not to pester her with Covid-related questions!

I hope your cousin will stay safe!

----

The Oberhausen website hasn't updated their Covid stats for Friday. I hope that doesn't mean the crisis management group (which maintains that page) has been too busy today. Our neighbour town Mülheim/Ruhr reached a 7-day-incidence of 25.7 persons per 100 000 yesterday, and Germany in general shows an increasing virus activity throughout the country:

Not only do we have an absolute increase in reported cases (on Friday there were 2195 new infections according to the RKI), but also the percentage of positive tests is rising week by week. These are the last 4 calendar weeks (35 to 38), the number of tests done per week and the number of positive results (the percentage can be seen in the red bars):

pos.png

So, today they updated the info for both Friday and Saturday. After the number of people who needed hospital treatment stayed pretty low for quite a while, now the number is rising there, too.

-----------------------------

Friday, September 25, 14:50 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 36 (+-0) active cases, while 542 (+3) people have recovered. All in all there have been 592 (+3) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 11.4 (-3.9).

Currently 5 (+-0) persons are treated in hospitals, with 3 (+-0) of them in intensive care. 14 persons sadly died. 170 (-47) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 31 936 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

-------------------------------

As of today, Saturday, September 26, 09:30 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 41 (+5) active cases, while 542 (+-0) people have recovered. All in all there have been 597 (+5) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 10.9 (-0.5).

Currently 8 (+3) persons are treated in hospitals, with 3 (+-0) of them in intensive care. 14 persons sadly died. 169 (-1) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 32 000 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

Edited by Astreya

I did want to pepper her with questions but I know I get frustrated when people do that to me in my off-work hours so I didn't want to do the same to her!

Sorry to hear your cases are rising, @Astreya.

Ours are still high with 91 cases yesterday, 85 of them on my island, and two additional deaths. :(

IMG-20200926-WA0000.thumb.jpg.a7e31615173bfa7d8910c91dbc4a7220.jpg

Sigh.

Our beyond stupid Florida Governor Ron DeSantis decided bars and restaurants can go back to normal. I work for Postmates and had to pick up an order at a bar and it was packed. While my area has had relatively low COVID cases, I expect that to change. This is so frustrating and depressing. 

Just my opinion.

Unfortunately, when our leaders don't take Covid seriously, many ordinary people will follow their lead.

On 9/25/2020 at 8:06 AM, Lagie said:

And then... in my Dragon Cave ads, no less, this shows up:

(It rotates between the two images.)

So clearly we're not past this!

Lol.  That's bizarre.  

That must have been a thrilling encounter Lagie.

2 hours ago, RainDear said:

Just my opinion.

Unfortunately, when our leaders don't take Covid seriously, many ordinary people will follow their lead.

You are so right.

And it starts... 

I was picking up another order at a restaurant and the hostess had to ask a lady waiting to put on a mask. And she was like but she saw on tv that restaurants and the hostess interrupted her that while restaurants were back to full capacity that did not mean that she didn't have to wear a mask that the mask mandate is still in place. So the lady grabs her mask from her purse and holds it to her face doesn't actually put it on just holds it there looking annoyed while doing something on her phone. You could tell if the hostess left her station that lady would have let the mask fall away from her face just to be defiant.

Edited by AngelsSin