trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

i confess, i totally haven't been following my county cases.  here's numbers from friday (i'm pretty sure)

Total Confirmed Cases: 7,984

Recoveries: 7,063

Deaths: 525

(https://covid19-bucksgis.hub.arcgis.com/)

New cases, 9/18/20: 38

(https://bucksgis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/a7e4f8a794a34bb5903813cdea584edb)

current active cases in my municipality: 23

(https://bucksgis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Media/index.html?appid=89e673a583fc4f44a8139205346a0ab6)

1 hour ago, olympe said:

@purplehaze Uh, if (roughly) 2.4 million tests are done, and 120 k are positve, that's a positivity rate of 5%. Not 2.85%. Not to mention that it looks like 860 k tests apparently have no result whatsoever, if you trust your own numbers. I wouldn't trust anyone with the numbers you quoted, though, as they're very obviously flawed.

I do not trust their positivity rates at all. I am more likely to trust the Hopkins ones.

Their other figures align pretty well with what I am seeing on the Hopkins site.

They just want to show lower positivity rates so they can push the economy.

None of it affects the way I am responding. I am limiting my exposure as much as possible, wearing my mask, keeping my distance and using lots of hand sanitizer when out and then thoroughly washing my hands when I get home. The same as I did from the beginning.

4 hours ago, purplehaze said:

The state reports a testing positivity rate of only 2.85%, which is the governor's reasoning for moving ahead with reopening. However Johns Hopkins reports a much higher figure (7.86%). The state figures are based only on first-time tests, while Hopkins includes repeat tests as well.

Here's the overview of the tests per week in Germany since the beginning of the pandemic [Source]:

tests.png

The first number is the "calendar week", the second the number of tests done in said week, the third (red) the number of positive tests, and the red bar gives the percentage of positive tests. The last number on the right is the number of laboratories that did the testing in that week.

From the last two weeks to the current week, the positive number has slightly increased, and currently there are both discussions of loosening measures and tightening them, depending on the Bundesland (federal state).

48 new cases today, 41 on my island, and one additional death. :(

IMG-20200921-WA0007.thumb.jpg.adefa15e6bb8fdccdeed7021a49eaaef.jpg

Who else is super bummed about the coronavirus? These past few months have been just awful.

All these apocryphal texts go on and on about world-ending plagues to destroy humanity, cleanse the earth, etcetera. and it hasn't even killed 1% of the worldwide population. Like wtf, why bother getting our hopes up. I don't know who to believe anymore.

@Nine

What exactly is it that you don't believe?

---------------

As of today, Tuesday, September 22, 11:15 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 37 (+-0) active cases, while 530 (+7) people have recovered. All in all there have been 581 (+7) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 13.3.

Currently 5 (+1) persons are treated in hospitals (2 of them in intensive care). 14 persons sadly died. 213 (+19) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 30 835 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

Edited by Astreya

I am also bummed, its depressing. 
We are nothing but money signs to the PM. Its blatantly obvious he isnt concerned with saving people, but the economy. I mean I know its important. But still. 

He probably doesnt care cuz he thinks, oh Ive had it I cant get it again. So it doesnt affect me anymore. I am almost certain that this is his attitude. 

Tories care for nothing and none but the 1%. I really cant understand why the working class vote for them, because they dont care less if they die. And thats been so obvious through this whole ordeal. I hope Labour get in at the next vote, but so many people I talk to seem to vote for their parents with boomer attitude (not the age the mindset) and not for themselves.

Office talk today. I may have mentioned I'm the only person there wearing a mask while others either don't or do the "believes in magic" thing.

119568946_3438134542915056_2137661388166

Apparently, the son of one of our colleages has been tested positive. The colleage has been tested, result is pending.

Boss: "We need to figure out who was in contact with the colleague being tested. Any of you?"

Me: "About 1.5 weeks ago."

Boss: "That was before her son was tested positive."

Colleague: "Well, we did pass by each other in the office a couple of days back..."

Me: "And, of course, neither of you were wearing masks."

Boss and colleague look at me with shock on their faces. As for me? I was thankful for my mask for hiding my grin.

No, I'm not the kind of person who preaches about their favorite issues non-stop. But I do take every good opportunity I see to drive home my point. This certainly was a very good opportunity...

And, yes, just last week I had another encounter at the office with a colleage telling me to "get rid of that mask already". I refused. They claimed that they know they don't have anything. Well, but I didn't know for sure if I had caught something or not. I never know until it breaks out...

Edited by olympe

19 minutes ago, olympe said:

And, yes, just last week I had another encounter at the office with a colleage telling me to "get rid of that mask already". I refused. They claimed that they know they don't have anything. Well, but I didn't know for sure if I had caught something or not. I never know until it breaks out...

Ask them if they are related to Mr.Lukashenko:

Edited by Astreya

Oh my goodness I could smell my kitty today!!! That made me so freaking happy. I haven't been able to smell him in like two months now.

32 minutes ago, Rekha said:

Oh my goodness I could smell my kitty today!!! That made me so freaking happy. I haven't been able to smell him in like two months now.

That is so funny! XD One never knows what will make one happy. But it is certainly good news!

Interesting graphic I found on The Guardian about the comparative scope of Covid-19 deaths in the US.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/22/datablog-scale-200000-coronavirus-deaths-us

@purplehaze While that graphic is very compelling, it is a bit of an illusion, too. Because it leaves out many major causes of death. (Numbers from 2017 (I think...) in the US in brackets.)

• Suicide (47,000).
  • Kidney issues - nephritis, nephrotic symptome and nephrosis put together (50,000).
  • Acute lower respiratory diseases - influenza and penumonia put together (56,000).
  • Diabetes (84,000).
  • Alzheimer's (121,000)
  • Stroke - cerebrovascular diseases (146,000)
  • Chronic lower respiratory diseases (160,000)
  • Accidents / unintentional injuries not just in traffic settings (170,000)
  • Cancer - overall, not just breast cancer (599,000)
  • Heart diseases (647,000)

(Source: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/leading-causes-of-death.htm)

Since the year isn't over now and the numbers aren't identical every year, it's not quite as easy to make a prediction, but I dare say that covid will end up somewhere above all other "lower respiratory diseases" - including chronic and acute (influenza, pneumonia not related to covid-19), but below both cancer and heart diseases. I'm really curious to compare the 2020 data with the data from previous years, not just because of covid. I have a bad feeling that a lot of covid-related (or directly covid-caused) deaths are being swept under the carpet, and we'll probably see a certain spike in both overall mortality and whatever is used as the scapegoat cause of death for 2020.

I had to go out today.  So many people were wearing their masks wrong.  It's disgusting.  I want one of those T-shirts.

4 hours ago, Rekha said:

I'm so glad for you.  I'd rather not smell mine most of the time.  Lol.  

3 hours ago, Classycal said:

I had to go out today.  So many people were wearing their masks wrong.  It's disgusting.  I want one of those T-shirts.

Ditto!

At least it's law here so no one harrasses me about wearing mine, though I now keep it on even seated at my own desk away from people because I keep finding things at my desk that I did not leave there meaning people are there in my absence and who knows what they've left behind.

49 new cases today, 41 on my island, and two additional deaths. :(

IMG-20200922-WA0009.thumb.jpg.05950defd9230c7cdd3f5b02aacf0443.jpg

2 hours ago, Lagie said:

Ditto!

At least it's law here so no one harrasses me about wearing mine, though I now keep it on even seated at my own desk away from people because I keep finding things at my desk that I did not leave there meaning people are there in my absence and who knows what they've left behind.

Yes, who knows?  Do you have a drop box on your door so they won't do that?

8 hours ago, Classycal said:

Yes, who knows?  Do you have a drop box on your door so they won't do that?

More like garbage, gum, empty soda bottles, bottle lids, chicken bones... so it's someone sitting chilling at my desk, not shop donations.

And if they're eating, they could be spewing virus bits.

22 hours ago, Ruffledfeathers said:

We are nothing but money signs to the PM. Its blatantly obvious he isnt concerned with saving people, but the economy. I mean I know its important. But still.

He probably doesnt care cuz he thinks, oh Ive had it I cant get it again. So it doesnt affect me anymore. I am almost certain that this is his attitude.

I guess he doesn't understand that the mixed messages the UK government gives doesn't give  people any reassurance about their measures and people will follow the example of Mr.Cummings who openly ignored the rules and regulations and wasn't even reprimanded for it. Plus Mr.Johnson's blatant announcement to break international law with his recent Brexit bill gives people the "right" to say "If the PM can break international law, how can anyone tell us off if we break the rules he gives out."

17 hours ago, olympe said:

I have a bad feeling that a lot of covid-related (or directly covid-caused) deaths are being swept under the carpet, and we'll probably see a certain spike in both overall mortality and whatever is used as the scapegoat cause of death for 2020.

The big problem are the long-term effects, and if people die from Covid-19 induced kidney, heart or lung problems after the virus is not detectable anymore (and when the antibody count is down again, too) - how can you tell that these deaths were "bad luck" or actually caused by the virus, too?

34 minutes ago, Lagie said:

More like garbage, gum, empty soda bottles, bottle lids, chicken bones... so it's someone sitting chilling at my desk, not shop donations.

And if they're eating, they could be spewing virus bits.

Sounds like you best keep your desk as empty as possible so that you can easily disinfect it every time you return to it.

---------------

As of today, Wednesday, September 23, 11:30 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 32 (-5) active cases, while 536 (+6) people have recovered. All in all there have been 582 (+1) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 13.3 (+-0).

Currently 5 (+-0) persons are treated in hospitals, with 3 (+1) of them in intensive care. 14 persons sadly died. 230 (+27) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 31 305 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

Edited by Astreya

my mother-in-law's sister Michelle went in the hospital with covid on sept 5th.  she was put on a ventilator on the 7th.  both my mother-in-law and Michelle's niece posted on the overnight (2 a.m.?) that Michelle had died from the virus. :( i only met Michelle once, a number of years ago, because she and her family are in Georgia, and i'm quite a number of states north in Pennsylvania. my mother-in-law turned 78 in May, and she's the oldest of her siblings.  i don't know how old Michelle was, but maybe in her 70s is my guess.

7 hours ago, Astreya said:

I guess he doesn't understand that the mixed messages the UK government gives doesn't give  people any reassurance about their measures and people will follow the example of Mr.Cummings who openly ignored the rules and regulations and wasn't even reprimanded for it. Plus Mr.Johnson's blatant announcement to break international law with his recent Brexit bill gives people the "right" to say "If the PM can break international law, how can anyone tell us off if we break the rules he gives out."

Wow, very eloquently put! I tend to lose my words when upset, lol. When Dominic Cummings broke the law and had no consequence, I lost any trace of respect I had for Boris Johnson. Im sure a lot of people feel the same. I have seen someone fire their best friend because of a proven allegation so to speak - I know people have it in them to be true leaders. 

@trystan I am so sorry its hit so close to you :( I feel so terrible for those its hurt or worse because it can be so disastrous. Its scary how unpredictable the severity can be. 

Be sure to get flu jabs this year! Glad I had one last year to try and shake off my needlephobia. 

7 hours ago, Astreya said:

The big problem are the long-term effects, and if people die from Covid-19 induced kidney, heart or lung problems after the virus is not detectable anymore (and when the antibody count is down again, too) - how can you tell that these deaths were "bad luck" or actually caused by the virus, too?

Well, you can't. But even if covid kills directly, the deaths might be attributed to pneumonia, kidney failure or whatever else goes wrong due to that darn virus.

55 minutes ago, Ruffledfeathers said:

@trystan I am so sorry its hit so close to you :( I feel so terrible for those its hurt or worse because it can be so disastrous. Its scary how unpredictable the severity can be. 

Be sure to get flu jabs this year! Glad I had one last year to try and shake off my needlephobia. 

i only met aunt Michelle the once, but i'm sure my mother-inlaw is having a rough go of it.  Michelle was only 65 :blink:

i have to schedule a follow-up appt with my doctor for november, and i think, for the first time like ever, i'll get a flu shot. ugh.

@trystan

I'm sorry to read that about your relative. Please stay safe and take all precautions for yourself that you can!

17 hours ago, Ruffledfeathers said:

Wow, very eloquently put! I tend to lose my words when upset, lol. When Dominic Cummings broke the law and had lkllno consequence, I lost any trace of respect I had for Boris Johnson. Im sure a lot of people feel the same. I have seen someone fire their best friend because of a proven allegation so to speak - I know people have it in them to be true leaders.  I am so sorry its hit so close to you :( I feel so terrible for those its hurt or worse because it can be so disastrous. Its scary how unpredictable the severity can be.

John Crace of the Guardian can put these things even better:  https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/sep/22/its-boristime-v-coronatime-and-theres-only-ever-one-winner

---------------

As of today, Thursday, September 24, 11:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 36 (+4) active cases, while 539 (+3) people have recovered. All in all there have been 589 (+7) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 15.2 (+1.9).

Currently 5 (+-0) persons are treated in hospitals, with 3 (+-0) of them in intensive care. 14 persons sadly died. 217 (-23) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 31 668 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.