trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

14 hours ago, AngelsSin said:

He tells people in a tweet to not be afraid of Covid to not let it dominate their lives. 

He just got back to the WH and once he got up the stairs once he got up he turned around took his mask off and gave the thumbs up. 

Argghhh...  For a man who thinks he's so smart, he's just so stupid.  I saw all this on the news, too.  I just wish I could express my frustration.  

Thanks for the well wished, but things are looking bad at my job right now. As I mention, I'm working in something akin to outpatient care, only for elderly people who need it. I'm working for a larger company with several different "businesses", so to speak. Among them a daycare for elderly people. 6 or 7 of our clients also visit the daycare facility regularly. On Monday last week, one of the people working in the daycare got sick. They later tested positive for covid.

As a result, we have 6 or 7 (don't know exactly) clients to take care of who are in quarantine until next Tuesday. We've been taking care of them like always, only wearing surgical face masks and doing the usual proper hygiene stuff. Also one colleage was in contact with the covid-positive person and is in quarantine now. I've definitely been in contact with her, and so has everyone else. If she tests positive, we can close the whole thing down.

Since yesterday, we're supposed to use FFP2 masks, hair coverings, visors, gloves, and some single-use items to cover all our clothes. Oh, and we'll probably be getting said stuff sometime today, so we can actually use it tomorrow. Because only "big boss" had the stuff in her office, and nobody knew about it until now. And, well, she thought we had been using the FFP2 masks since the beginning of the pandemic.

Anyway, to make a long story short: On (this) Monday alone, I've been in contact with 3 of these quarantine cases. 4 in the last week. NOW we're supposed to find 2-3 nurses among us willing to take care of them with all that equipment. I must admit I volunteered. It's not as if me not doing so would make much of a difference right now.

Oh, and the lady manning our office suggested we all wear face masks when going there. I let her know she was preaching to the choir. (And, while everyone has their panties in knots because of lack of PPE and the potential covid cases arising, I was still the only one wearing a mask while in the office.)

Seriously.

Oh, and one coworker had the bright idea to let our quarantined folks be taken care of by their relatives during the quarantine. After all, why should we risk our health if they could do it instead?

I deigned to point out that we're medical professionals, just like physicians. And asked her if she had encountered a single physician refusing to treat patients with covid.

I guess I'll just try to self-quarantine in the meantime, even within my family to the best of my ability.

Edited by olympe

1 hour ago, olympe said:

Anyway, to make a long story short: On (this) Monday alone, I've been in contact with 3 of these quarantine cases. 4 in the last week. NOW we're supposed to find 2-3 nurses among us willing to take care of them with all that equipment. I must admit I volunteered. It's not as if me not doing so would make much of a difference right now.

That's heroic Olympe.  The things that nurses do amaze me (even though I'm a nurse, too).  If I was still working, I'd volunteer, too.   

23 minutes ago, Classycal said:

That's heroic Olympe.  The things that nurses do amaze me (even though I'm a nurse, too).  If I was still working, I'd volunteer, too.   

It's not heroic, it's simple logic. I've been in contact with most of them, so there's not much of an additional risk. Not to mention we'll have proper PPE now (effing finally). Third, among our colleages there are a number of people with higher risk - mid-fifties and up, asthma, COPD, whatever - you name it.  Fourth, I'm still conviced I've had it in November, so I should have a better chance fighting it off than the others. Fifth, I'm semi-convinced we've had covid in our daycare in February. There was a little epidemic afflicting all the elderly people attending over the course of a couple of weeks. Symptoms (from the three I was in contact with back then): Severe fatigue, dry cough, fever, long recovery period... Unfortunately, that was before we had tests available, so my guess is as good as anybody else's. So, there's a pretty good chance our old folks (why do I always want to spell it with a C?) didn't catch it (though not perfect), and an equally good chance I won't catch it if exposed. Not to mention all the equipment...

Let's call it a calculated risk.

ETA: No, you shouldn't volunteer. You, my dear, are too much at risk as it is. Me, on the other hand, I'm pretty much healthy.

Edited by olympe

10 minutes ago, olympe said:

It's not heroic, it's simple logic. I've been in contact with most of them, so there's not much of an additional risk. Not to mention we'll have proper PPE now (effing finally). Third, among our colleages there are a number of people with higher risk - mid-fifties and up, asthma, COPD, whatever - you name it.  Fourth, I'm still conviced I've had it in November, so I should have a better chance fighting it off than the others. Fifth, I'm semi-convinced we've had covid in our daycare in February. There was a little epidemic afflicting all the elderly people attending over the course of a couple of weeks. Symptoms (from the three I was in contact with back then): Severe fatigue, dry cough, fever, long recovery period... Unfortunately, that was before we had tests available, so my guess is as good as anybody else's. So, there's a pretty good chance our old folks (why do I always want to spell it with a C?) didn't catch it (though not perfect), and an equally good chance I won't catch it if exposed. Not to mention all the equipment...

Let's call it a calculated risk.

ETA: No, you shouldn't volunteer. You, my dear, are too much at risk as it is. Me, on the other hand, I'm pretty much healthy.

I hope the extra equipment helps!  Glad you always had your mask at least. Stay safe!

1 hour ago, olympe said:

our old folks (why do I always want to spell it with a C?) didn't catch it (though not perfect), and an equally good chance I won't catch it if exposed. Not to mention all 

Haha!  (Inside joke from another forum.)

Yes, you are right.  I have too many risk factors, but I 

do wish I could help in some way.  

17 minutes ago, Classycal said:

Haha!  (Inside joke from another forum.)

Yes, you are right.  I have too many risk factors, but I 

do wish I could help in some way.  

Ask around where you can help with the paperwork involved with nursing. It's the bane of everyone's existence, and every bit of help is appreciated. If you add doing some phone calls when necessary, you'll be an amzing asset.

@olympe

I really hope everything will stay okay with you. Hopefully you can get one of the newer antibody tests soonish so you can verify whether you had a milder case of Covid-19 in February, hopefully without any longterm effects, but still sufficient antibodies left so that you are now safe!

I was out for almost the full last three days, "fortunately" just with a really nasty migraine (including everything a migraine can come with), but should be okay again for the next weeks (I hope) as I "only" have it once every month to two months.

(Numbers in parenthesis are the difference to Monday, in the recovery there was a miscount before, it seems.)

-----------------------

As of today, Tuesday, October 6, 09:30 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 45 (+8.) active cases, while 577 (-1) people have recovered. All in all there have been 636 (+7) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 11.4 (+2.4).

Currently 11 (+-0) persons are treated in hospitals, with 3 (+-0) of them in intensive care. 14 persons sadly died. 203 (+47) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 34 074 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

This is part of why we're having such trouble:

Screenshot_20201006-193717.thumb.jpg.ae97e19f92483f25aa3ff63fc6e29495.jpg

And when you add in the parties and Junkanoo rush outs and masks on chins, it just gets worse.

We are all waiting with bated breath to see what the PM has to say tomorrow. Lockdown or no lockdown? That is the question.

@Lagie

But even a population density of 3 430 / square mile shouldn't be an excuse. Oberhausen hat 211 000 people on about 30 square miles, thus we have a population density of 7 100 per square mile (2 700 per square kilometre).

-----------------------

As of today, Wednesday, October 7, 09:30 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 50 (+5) active cases, while 578 (+1) people have recovered. All in all there have been 642 (+6) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 12.3 (+0.9).

Currently 11 (+-0) persons are treated in hospitals, with 3 (+-0) of them in intensive care. 14 persons sadly died. 221 (+18) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 34 348 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

Edited by Astreya

9 hours ago, Astreya said:

@Lagie

But even a population density of 3 430 / square mile shouldn't be an excuse. Oberhausen hat 211 000 people on about 30 square miles, thus we have a population density of 7 100 per square mile (2 700 per square kilometre).

Ah, but you see, Bahamians never ever take responsibility for their own behaviour, so by blaming it on the population density they can ignore the rule-breaking.

73 new cases yesterday, 72 on my island, and 2 additional deaths. :(

IMG-20201006-WA0005.jpg

@Lagie

It's such a shame that people in your area are so irresponsible.

Unfortunately, people in German big cities like Berlin and Frankfurt are also flouting the rules big time (particularly young party-goers) - so much that the officials now decided set up stricter regulations for pubs and restaurants and even private parties. We'll see if this will help bring down the numbers.

The numbers in NRW are rising, too:

map.png

(Red means local lockdowns, orange shows too many cases, too)

Edited by Astreya

Bad news is, my brother works in one of those red spots.

"Good" news is, my brother and I aren't *that* close so we only see each other every couple of weeks or so ... (we live in different cities)

Bad news is, since he works there, and Saxony hotels are not allowed to house anyone who's been in any of the red spots within the past 2 weeks, effectively our weekend trip to our mother's grave in Saxony has been cancelled.

"Good" news is, our mother would probably appreciate the fact that we stay home instead of putting each other at risk.

Because bad news is, in my brother's workplace, there's now the first case of covid-19, too :( Tests are being conducted ...

"Good" news is, since my workplace's internal corona-related rules allow me to close my office door all day long and I'm alone in this room, I can cry all I want because right now I'm just in that kind of mood ... My mother died last year and I still haven't been able to visit her since then. What would she think of me?

2 hours ago, Astreya said:

map.png

Yep, that almost-but-not-quite red (dark orange) spot with the (small) red spot to its right and the bright orange on top, that's my hometown. We're almost at 50 again. Remscheid (the red spot) is around 70-ish and still falling. (Yep, they were quite a bit higher).

Oh, and do you remember that SARS-CoV-2 can cause diarrhea and vomiting in cats, although it's also quite often asymptomatic? Well, we have an epidemic of "stomach flu" in cats right now. Not trying to be alarmist, but shouldn't the cats get tested, too? Just in case?

As for me - I'm doing fine. So are the people I take care of. No temperature, no symptoms, merely disappointed that the daycare is closed. Couldn't be much better, could it? I heard from one couple that they got tested today, and we were told that all of our 7 potential candidates were supposed to get tested today. (I only saw one couple today around noon, the others in the morning). We should have the results on Monday at the latest. Their quarantine ends on Wednesday... if they're negative.

Edited by olympe

4 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

My mother died last year and I still haven't been able to visit her since then. What would she think of me?

I'm really sorry for your grievous loss. I doubt your mother would begrudge you that haven't managed to visit her grave yet. Personally I think there is no need to visit a grave as the important thing is to keep a person in your heart and thoughts as no one is ever truly dead who is not forgotten. So every time you think of her and remember her, you continue to keep her alive and that is what is truly important.

3 hours ago, olympe said:

Oh, and do you remember that SARS-CoV-2 can cause diarrhea and vomiting in cats, although it's also quite often asymptomatic? Well, we have an epidemic of "stomach flu" in cats right now. Not trying to be alarmist, but shouldn't the cats get tested, too? Just in case?

As for me - I'm doing fine. So are the people I take care of. No temperature, no symptoms, merely disappointed that the daycare is closed. Couldn't be much better, could it? I heard from one couple that they got tested today, and we were told that all of our 7 potential candidates were supposed to get tested today. (I only saw one couple today around noon, the others in the morning). We should have the results on Monday at the latest. Their quarantine ends on Wednesday... if they're negative.

It's a relief to hear that you are still fine (and hopefully stay that way).

As for the cats - I think it would be definitely interesting to have them tested - at least for epidemiological reasons. Maybe you could call your Gesundheitsamt and ask about this? I know they are probably totally overworked, but maybe there is some study about things like this?

1 hour ago, Astreya said:

As for the cats - I think it would be definitely interesting to have them tested - at least for epidemiological reasons. Maybe you could call your Gesundheitsamt and ask about this? I know they are probably totally overworked, but maybe there is some study about things like this?

And you think that's going to get them to do anything? I mean, they could potentially prep the vets with the tests, but who is going to pay for the tests in the first place? The pet owners will probably prefer to refuse the test instead of paying for it. Is it even worth a shot? *wonders*

@olympe

I thought more that they might know whether there is a study about this going on, and if there is, they could tell them that there are subjects they can examine.

7 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

"Good" news is, our mother would probably appreciate the fact that we stay home instead of putting each other at risk.

"Good" news is, since my workplace's internal corona-related rules allow me to close my office door all day long and I'm alone in this room, I can cry all I want because right now I'm just in that kind of mood ... My mother died last year and I still haven't been able to visit her since then. What would she think of me?

Since she would appreciate that you're not putting yourself at risk by staying away from your brother, she would be forgiving.  She would forgive you anyway because she was your mother.  That reminds me that I need to visit my mom's grave.  

1 hour ago, Astreya said:

@olympe

I thought more that they might know whether there is a study about this going on, and if there is, they could tell them that there are subjects they can examine.

Personally, I only know of *one* subject, but his owner was at the vet's with him and was told about the "kitty stomach flu" going around. I don't even know which vet it is...

Well, we're back to weekend lockdowns and longer curfews.

Here's the full breakdown:

Spoiler

HIGHLIGHTS: PRIME MINISTER’S HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY COMMUNICATION WEDNESDAY 7 OCTOBER 2020

-Restrictive measures designed and targeted to reduce the spread of COVID-19 on NEW PROVIDENCE and ABACO.

-Weekend 24-Hour curfews for New Providence and Abaco, starting this weekend, Friday 9 October at 7pm. Weekend 24-hour curfews take effect 7pm Fridays to 5am Monday

-This holiday weekend, on New Providence and Abaco, there will be a full three-day 24-hour curfew from Friday 9 October at 7pm to 5am Tuesday 13 October.

-During weekend 24-hour curfews, only essential services, including uniformed branches, Customs and Immigration, public health services, hospitals, sanitation services and essential utility services permitted to operate.

-Seaports and airports will continue to operate. No interruption to flights.

-Worship services permitted for one hour on Saturdays and Sundays between 7am and 1pm.

-Food stores, pharmacies, gas stations, construction sites, laundromats not permitted to operate during 24-hour weekend curfew.

-National Food Distribution Task Force will be tailored to take place during the weekdays.

-For New Providence and Abaco, the Monday to Friday weekday curfew will now be from 7pm to 5am.

-No social gatherings permitted at any time.

-Monday to Friday, religious services may continue based on the Bahamas Christian Councils guidelines approved by the Ministry of Health.

-Churches may also open for individual/private prayer during the week.

-Ten people allowed to attend a funeral at the graveside only, not including officiant and undertakers. Wakes and repasts not permitted.

-Ten people allowed to attend a wedding, not including officiant. Wedding receptions not permitted.

-Schools on New Providence and Abaco may only offer virtual instruction. No in-person schooling for students.

-Beaches and parks on New Providence and Abaco closed.

-Exercise permitted in neighborhood Monday to Friday between 5am and 7pm. Weekend exercised permitted in an individual’s yard.

-Gyms not allowed to operate.

-Everyone who can work from home should.

-Public officers will be instructed by their permanent secretaries to work from home.

-Cabinet Ministers in quarantine will work from home during the quarantine period.

-Take-away, curbside and delivery permitted at restaurants. No indoor or outdoor dining allowed on New Providence and Abaco.

-Retail stores may offer curbside services only, except for food stores.

-Gas stations not permitted to provide in-store services.

-All fines for breaching health protocols, except for mask violations, will be doubled.

-Confidential COVID-19 hotline to report large social gatherings 702-9967 thru 9.

-Businesses on their second violation of Emergency Powers Order will be closed for 14 days.

-If a business or construction site has an infection rate of 10% of the full staff complement, the business or construction site will be closed, and all staff quarantined for 14 days.

-Bahamians and residents seeking to book at hotels on New Providence and Abaco required to obtain a negative COVID-19 RT PCR test result.

-No change to the current travel regime. Opening of the international tourism sector remains set for 1 November 2020.

The one that affects me most is "Retail stores may offer curbside services only, except for food stores."

I have a thrift shop.  Thrift shopping takes time and rummaging.  I have no clue how to make curbside work, but we'll have to figure out something.

81 new cases today; 77 on my island.

IMG-20201007-WA0016.thumb.jpg.6fed3de180ec1c1dc1b25a49affb57e3.jpg

Edited by Lagie
Updating

3 hours ago, Lagie said:

The one that affects me most is "Retail stores may offer curbside services only, except for food stores."

I have a thrift shop.  Thrift shopping takes time and rummaging.  I have no clue how to make curbside work, but we'll have to figure out something.

That should be interesting.  Do tell us how you work that out.  

Good news from my end: Every single one of our clients as well as the quarantined coworker tested negative. That's a relief. :) (See? Calculated risk... The odds were truly in my favor.)

@olympe

That's indeed a relief to read!

In Germany, the Covid-19 cases rocket now, too. From 2828 new cases yesterday [RKI] to 4058 new cases today [RKI], things really look worrisome.

Here's today's 7-day-incidence map of NRW:

map.png

-----------------------

As of today, Thursday, October 8, 09:30 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 54 (+4) active cases, while 585 (+7) people have recovered. All in all there have been 653 (+11) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 16.6 (+4.3).

Currently 10 (-1) persons are treated in hospitals, with 1 (-2) of them in intensive care. 14 persons sadly died. 262 (+41) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 34 668 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Don't forget the RKI always gives us the numbers of the day before. So, two days ago, we had the 2800+ new cases, yesterday the 4000+ and today it's significantly over 4000, currently getting close to the 4500 mark. I'm surprised it took so long, I expected this surge a couple of weeks ago.