trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

I'm ready for this to be over, but I fear it will be with us for many years.  

2 hours ago, Classycal said:

I'm ready for this to be over, but I fear it will be with us for many years.  

It certainly looks like it. I don't think the world post-corona - if that ever happens - will be the same as pre-corona. This is no joke, and no drill either. 

23 hours ago, Astreya said:

@Lagie

I'll try to. It seems to be more important that you'll manage to stay safe with the numbers at your place!

And you are right...

55 new cases today, 51 on my island. They're just not stopping...

IMG-20200916-WA0011.thumb.jpg.6dc3382aa2e5cf841ac174acc288f0d2.jpg

6 hours ago, olympe said:

It certainly looks like it. I don't think the world post-corona - if that ever happens - will be the same as pre-corona. This is no joke, and no drill either. 

You're right.  Post-corona will never be the same as pre-corona.  

The daily number of Covid-19 infections is continually rising in Germany. Today we got around 2200 new infections according to the RKI which means that the numbers have been rising day by day.

The big problem is that more and more young people seem to be fed up with the precautionary measures and want to "do party again" as if there wasn't any virus around. Moreover, people are making it harder to find them in case of an infection in bars or restaurants or the like as they don't give their real names in the contact lists but prefer to go as "Lucky Luke" or "Darth Vader" or so. Very clever....

--------------------

As of today, Thursday, September 17, 09:30 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 24 (-1) active cases, while 517 (+2) people have recovered. All in all there have been 554 (+4) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 6.1.

Currently 5 (+3) persons are treated in hospitals (3 of them in intensive care). 13 persons sadly died. 233 (+26) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 30 221 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

Edited by Astreya

1 hour ago, Astreya said:

The big problem is that more and more young people seem to be fed up with the precautionary measures and want to "do party again" as if there wasn't any virus around. Moreover, people are making it harder to find them in case of an infection in bars or restaurants or the like as they don't give their real names in the contact lists but prefer to go as "Lucky Luke" or "Darth Vader" or so. Very clever....

People are doing that here, too.  Partying that is.  I don't know about the fake names though.  That's so stupid and insulting.

A friend of mine and her daughter have been diagnosed with COVID 19.  I haven't seen them in a while so I haven't been exposed.  Scary.  

I hope they'll be okay!

One of my volunteers let me know today that one of her good friends (might even be distant family) has it, but that they hadn't seen each other in a while so she's okay. It gets closer by the day...

PAHO is concerned about us (article in today's paper):

Screenshot_20200917-134544.thumb.jpg.0fc1780826680308f503478031128db0.jpg

And with good reason -

90 new cases today (90!), 79 of them on my island, and we STILL have staff walking around maskless.

IMG-20200917-WA0002.thumb.jpg.0f26c6511cf89e532046d573e96c4da8.jpg

So Clark County Nevada (in the US) is supposedly still one of three districts that is not quite where the numbers should be. We also just had a horrible rally for Trump in which there was no social distancing or masks worn. Three of Trump's cabinet members tested positive for Covid after returning from their race through the US doing Rallies. 

Guess what Clark County is doing on Monday?

Opening the bars!!! WTF?

The infection rate in Europe seems to grow all over the place.  I'm just glad that the numbers stay mostly stable in my city at the moment, even though the growing number of orange spots in my Bundesland NRW is a bit worrisome in general:

map.png

Source: https://www.n-tv.de/infografik/Coronavirus-aktuelle-Zahlen-Daten-zur-Epidemie-in-Deutschland-Europa-und-der-Welt-article21604983.html

--------------------

As of today, Friday, September 18, 09:30 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 27 (+3) active cases, while 517 (+-0) people have recovered. All in all there have been 557 (+3) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 7.6.

Currently 4 (-1) persons are treated in hospitals (3 of them in intensive care). 13 persons sadly died. 228 (-5) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 30 476 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

=== === === === === === === === === === === === === === === === === === === === === === === ===

On Friday, another Covid-19 patient died from the drat virus, a 81 year old woman who was reported to have had an underlying chronic illness as well.

Additionally there were cases in a children care facility and another pupil of the Friedrich-Ebert-Realschule (the one only a stone throw away from my house) tested positive for Covid-19. Quarantine measures were put into force right away in both institutions.

--------------------

As of today, Saturday, September 19, 12:30 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 31 (+4) active cases, while 523 (+6) people have recovered. All in all there have been 568 (+11) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 9.5.

Currently 4 (+-0) persons are treated in hospitals (2 of them in intensive care). 14 (+1) persons sadly died. 201 (-27) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 30 476 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

Edited by Astreya

4 minutes ago, Lagie said:

119568946_3438134542915056_2137661388166

We need T-shirts with this! Although there's still one type missing. The person with their mask on their head - the doofus.

My hometown (Solingen) is back in the twenties, after a rise up to 42.something per 100 k population per week. Looks like things are slowly getting better. Let's keep our fingers crossed. However, we're really close (with public transportation as well as economically and in other ways) to two of our neighboring towns, Remscheid and Wuppertal. Remscheid is in the mid-twenties now, too, and Wuppertal in the lower twenties.

While that is kinda worrysome, I'm more worried about our European neighbors. France is hit much harder by the 2nd wave than it was by the 1st. Spain has been hit just as bad as the first time around, although new cases have gone down drastically in the last week - so drastically that it smells fishy. The Netherlands are kinda in their third wave, which seems to hit them harder than both preceding waves combined. It's almost the same with Belgium and Luxembourg. (Big surprise there...) With Russia, it's hard to tell there are different waves, but I dare say that the 2nd one is starting right now. UK are getting into week 3 of the 2nd wave, too, but they're not quite hit as hard as the first time - yet.  Hopefully, they'll manage to hang on. Switzerland's case numbers are on a slow, but very steady rise - pretty much the same as Germany. And Austria looks as bad as during the worst of the first wave. Halp?

Edited by olympe

13 minutes ago, Lagie said:

tee hee,  I shared this on Facebook. I see so many ppl wearing it under their nose *silently screams at them*

4 hours ago, olympe said:

We need T-shirts with this! Although there's still one type missing. The person with their mask on their head - the doofus.

Thankfully we have few doofuses here! But way too many who don't understand science.

37 new cases yesterday, 34 on my island, and two additional deaths. :(

Also two 'under investigation' deaths have been classified as Covid deaths.

IMG-20200919-WA0004.thumb.jpg.57b1d4ceb5e676a728be17db090c8eed.jpg

Edited by Lagie
Mistype

10 hours ago, Lagie said:

This is great!

10 hours ago, olympe said:

I want a T-shirt for sure!

101 (!!!) new cases yesterday, at least 69 of those on my island, and one additional death. :(

IMG-20200920-WA0005.thumb.jpg.d83a9591d21623ef10c952696031ddcb.jpg

@Lagie

This really doesn't sound good at all :(

---------------

As of today, Sunday, September 20, 09:30 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 37 (+6) active cases, while 523 (+-0) people have recovered. All in all there have been 574 (+6) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 12.3.

Currently 4 (+-0) persons are treated in hospitals (2 of them in intensive care). 14 persons sadly died. 194 (-7) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 30 544 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

6 minutes ago, Astreya said:

@Lagie

This really doesn't sound good at all :(

I know, right? It's not slowing or anything. No wonder we have an overfull morgue. :(

Yeah. On the other hand - even though in Germany the absolute numbers still look okay-ish, if you look at the curve, the rise of the new cases in the 7-day average doesn't promise anything good either:

trend.png

Source:  https://www.n-tv.de/infografik/Coronavirus-aktuelle-Zahlen-Daten-zur-Epidemie-in-Deutschland-Europa-und-der-Welt-article21604983.html

The RKI says that the current low mortality here is due to the fact that most new infections are among younger people who are particularly careless. But again we have no real idea how many of these will have to deal with long-term effects.

Aren't the numbers creeping up over all of Europe again? That is scary.

My island is tiny. 21 miles by 7 miles (34 km x 11 km) so there's really no way to escape it.

@Lagie

That's really small, particularly as you are surrounded by water and can't really evade things there! Wikipedia says the area is 207km2, which means my hometown is a bit more than a third of the size of it (77km2), but we are  in the middle of more cities in the Ruhrgebiet.

And yeah. things really look worrisome in all of Europe:

trend.png

Source: https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

That does look scary, @Astreya! My sister is in Spain at the moment (not sure why...) so I hope she isn't affected. She's usually in Brussels.

Is Switzerland not sharing data? Is that why they are grey?

55 new cases today, 51 on my wee island.

IMG-20200920-WA0012.thumb.jpg.7a2cbfb29721c79efa88213afca24039.jpg

Edited by Lagie
Updating

11 hours ago, Lagie said:

That does look scary, @Astreya! My sister is in Spain at the moment (not sure why...) so I hope she isn't affected. She's usually in Brussels.

Is Switzerland not sharing data? Is that why they are grey?

Unfortunately, the situation in Spain has become pretty worrisome, too. Here's a comparison between some countries from the ntv. Spain is the yellow dotted line ("Spanien"):

trend.png

As to why Switzerland wasn't in the data from the ECDC (European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control.) - I think it might be because Switzerland is not an EU member and the ECDC is an EU agency. (The UK are  probably still listed as they are still in the transition period after Brexit).

Looks like today the numbers were stable (or no one worked on Sunday?):

---------------

As of today, Monday, September 21, 13:30 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 37 (+-0) active cases, while 523 (+-0) people have recovered. All in all there have been 574 (+-0) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 11.4.

Currently 4 (+-0) persons are treated in hospitals (2 of them in intensive care). 14 persons sadly died. 194 (+-0) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 30 544 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Edited by Astreya

I haven't posted local updates in awhile.These are probably yesterday's figures because I don't think they update until 10am.

COVID-19 Statistics in Maryland

Number of confirmed cases : 120,156 (+412 from previous day)
Number of persons tested negative : 1,409,320
Total testing volume : 2,390,269
Number of confirmed deaths : 3,735 (+3 from previous day)
Number of probable deaths : 144
Currently hospitalized : 281
Acute care : 213
Intensive care : 68
Ever hospitalized : 15,119
Released from isolation : 7,377

Those figures are pretty stable.

The state reports a testing positivity rate of only 2.85%, which is the governor's reasoning for moving ahead with reopening. However Johns Hopkins reports a much higher figure (7.86%). The state figures are based only on first-time tests, while Hopkins includes repeat tests as well.

@purplehaze Uh, if (roughly) 2.4 million tests are done, and 120 k are positve, that's a positivity rate of 5%. Not 2.85%. Not to mention that it looks like 860 k tests apparently have no result whatsoever, if you trust your own numbers. I wouldn't trust anyone with the numbers you quoted, though, as they're very obviously flawed.