trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

16 minutes ago, Classycal said:

What island are you on Lagie?

So sorry to hear about Sonia.  Are her kids young?

I'll say a prayer for your aunt.  

New Providence

Not sure what age they are. I'll have to ask next week.

Thanks! She's received a pint and is perking up. May be able to retur home as soon as Thursday. 

(Which is good because I really didn't want to go to this pit to give blood -

IMG-20200906-WA0000.thumb.jpg.3d27a3e1f9d88a17709d156514e8b51b.jpg

Bahamians are lousy at maintaining things. That crumbling heap is part of our main hospital. :blink:

Yesterday in Rome there have been a no mask / no vax / no whatever manifestation, with about 2000 people saying masks deprive them of their liberty and will not wear them even where they are mandatory, they would kill doctors who dare test their children and so on 😢

On 9/5/2020 at 7:40 AM, Lagie said:

Sonia died yesterday. :(

I'm very sorry to hear this, Lagie. I will keep your aunt in my thoughts as well.

On 9/5/2020 at 10:53 AM, Astreya said:

@Lagie

That's horrible! This wasn't much more than a week since she was tested! I hope this makes the other people in the vicinity of your workplace a bit more careful, and even if it sounds callous, now you could tell customers who want to refuse to don a mask about her death as that might provide some more incentive for them to be more careful, too.

The owner of a bakery I frequent died of covid-19 last month, she was the first person I'd known tangentially that died from the virus. She was elderly, in her 80s. Her story is what I'm prepared to trot out if people ask me why I give them a wide berth when they don't wear a mask, or ask me why I glare at them if they're not wearing a mask/social distancing near me. Fortunately, most people I see are taking this very seriously, using masks and distancing 95% of the time I'm out in public.

35 minutes ago, Iside said:

Yesterday in Rome there have been a no mask / no vax / no whatever manifestation, with about 2000 people saying masks deprive them of their liberty and will not wear them even where they are mandatory, they would kill doctors who dare test their children and so on 😢

Tokyo just had a demonstration to that effect last month. The irony is, they had no problems wearing masks for normal times, but that covid-19 was being overblown and didn't require one. It was backed by a politician, too, so it gained some traction. Some people...

Edited by purpledragonclaw

I'm so sorry for everybody who knows infected people and has lost someone to Covid.  

It's been rather quiet where I live and most people I see and meet abide to the rules. So far we had 47 positives in a city with about 9.000 inhabitants, details about deaths and so on are not provided. I personally know/know of noone in my environment/city that is/was positive.

One of my neighbours died back in June. He was 80ish and of good health as far as I know. But I did not have it in me to ask his daughter if he had Covid.

But I just got an covidiot-moment nonetheless: I have been called "a good little soldier" for doning my mask when going out to get some lunch at the bakery today. The owner of our little post office seems to be one of those people believing in all those conspirancy theories. "I have to think of my children" he said and "When I give up my freedom to ensure my safety I will lose both...". Apparently he goes to those demos where nobody wears a mask and thus endangers not only said children but his customers too. He has one of those big plastic shields in his shop and is allowed to work without a mask then. Usually I buy my stamps and envelopes and such there to support him. But make that past tense now. His beliefs are one thing but laughing at me for abiding to rules and not agreeing with him? Bye bye.

Whatever you buy from him would need to be treated with disinfectant anyway ...

40 new cases yesterday, 39 of them on my island, and two additional deaths. :(

Screenshot_20200907-080539.jpg

2 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Whatever you buy from him would need to be treated with disinfectant anyway ...

I have done so in the past and would have continued that, no problem. He is pricey in some things but hey, I'm glad we still have a post office and I don't want him to have to close up.

I have calmed done a bit meanwhile, the sting about being laughed at, fading. But I still can not understand how someone can be so unreasonable and put himself and others at such a risk... 

1 hour ago, Lagie said:

40 new cases yesterday, 39 of them on my island, and two additional deaths. :(

Stay safe Lagie!

@Zimtie

Maybe you should ask about the cause of death of that lady after all and tell him about her if it was indeed Covid-19?

If one has first hand knowledge, this comes over as more trustworthy if one knows a person.

-----------------

As of today, Monday, September 7, 10:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 30 (+-0) active cases, while 482 (+-0) people have recovered. All in all there have been 525 (+-0) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 9.9.

Currently no person needs to be treated in a hospital. 13 persons sadly died. 166 (+1) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 28.237 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

Covidiots are everywhere. Even among my own colleages. While we do work in outpatient care exclusively, we do have a small office for supplies, necessary paperworks, keeping our keys and, well, other stuff. There are times (usually after the morning shift) where several people are there due to having to do this or that before heading home. I'm the only one wearing a mask there. Sometime last week (or the one before?), a colleage said about me (but intentionally loud enough for me to understand it clearly), "She's afraid of us." My answer: "No, I'm not afraid of you, I'm protecting you." Got me a little bit of "oh" and "well then", but needless to say, I'm still the only person there donning a mask.

I just don't get it. We're required to wear a mask when entering a patient's home. We come into contact with numerous people. But they all refuse to wear a mask when in the office. What the heck?

11 hours ago, olympe said:

What the heck?

Indeed. People don't get it.

One of our major construction projects here has a very large number of Chinese workers. Those same Chinese workers last week were protesting at their Embassy because they are worried about getting Covid-19 here and they want to go home to China so they'll be safer. How's that for irony?

And... another 39 cases today, 38 of them on my island, and sadly 1 more death. :(

IMG-20200907-WA0004.thumb.jpg.daddfea02996c0999c37889874392947.jpg

Edited by Lagie
Updating

As of today, Tuesday, September 8, 09:30 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 36 (+6) active cases, while 482 (+-0) people have recovered. All in all there have been 531 (+6) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 10.4.

Currently 1 (+1) person is treated in hospital, none in intensive care. 13 persons sadly died. 194 (+28) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 28.537 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

------------------

As of today, Wednesday, September 9, 08:30 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 35 (-1) active cases, while 485 (+3) people have recovered. All in all there have been 533 (+2) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 6.6.

Currently 1 (+-0) person is treated in hospital, none in intensive care. 13 persons sadly died. 213 (+19) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 28.732 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

Edited by Astreya

Our numbers don't seem to be stopping. :blink:

Yesterday we had 72 new cases, 58 on my island, and 4 additional deaths. :(

IMG-20200909-WA0000.thumb.jpg.c0bc1b2002494d2c057b6fab0f704665.jpg

Our positivity rate in Maryland has gone over 5% for the last two days. We were doing pretty well, then the gov moved us to the next phase. It seems that is the pattern. And he wants all schools open for students at least part of the time by the next semester and is offering financial incentives to those that open -- help with the costs of protecting everyone, but still financial incentive.

And the Trumpist commenting below the article is even scarier. :( 

36 minutes ago, trystan said:

i can't see it, it's behind a paywall...

It's about the number of people in one town in Italy who have been rechecked months after 'getting over' Covid who still aren't better. Some aren't even able to get to the clinic without assistance.

@trystan

They also link to a German study within the article that found

In this cohort study including 100 patients recently recovered from COVID-19 identified from a COVID-19 test center, cardiac magnetic resonance imaging revealed cardiac involvement in 78 patients (78%) and ongoing myocardial inflammation in 60 patients (60%), which was independent of preexisting conditions, severity and overall course of the acute illness, and the time from the original diagnosis.

Source: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamacardiology/fullarticle/2768916

The really scary bits were the brain lesions that caused short term memory loss for some poor fellow who runs a funeral home, and blisters(?) in the lungs of another guy and if they pop he'll probably die. :(

Edited by Lagie
Typo

There are further severe outcomes of "recovered" Covid-19 patients. In a report on Germany TV todays ago they had not only patients with severe memory loss, but also loss of hearing. In one patient it was even a complete loss of hearing that required a cochlea implant.

Edited by Astreya

thanks @Lagie & @Astreya!

that's one of the things that scares me - the long-term effects of this.  i've seen a story where a runner got covid, and now they just get winded doing normal things. eep. and memory loss scares the crap out of me as it is.

There is new evidence that Trump knew the severity of this virus early on. That his bumbling, acting as if he is if I clueless is just that an act. In several (18 in all) interviews Trump talking with Bob Woodward, which these interviews are recorded. You can hear Trump confirm he knew that it was serious, that it was airborne, that he always intended to downplay the seriousness of it,etc.

Source: 

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/09/trump-bob-woodward-book-411225

Edited by AngelsSin

@olympe

I just saw in the news that in Solingen the cases have risen sharply. Please stay safe!

Spoiler

map.png

------------------

As of today, Thursday, September 10, 09:30 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 33 (-2) active cases, while 491 (+6) people have recovered. All in all there have been 537 (+4) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 8.1.

Currently 1 (+-0) person is treated in hospital in intensive care. 13 persons sadly died. 215 (+2) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 29.037 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Edited by Astreya

Confirmed cases per week in Switzerland:

image.thumb.png.51cd58e3b24b0629107ad408c1c3c638.png

I hope the numbers stop going up soon.

The government keeps making decisions that allow more and more events with lots of people, because soccer games are very important.