trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

Rising numbers are scary! I hope yours stop soon, @Confused Cat!

Ours have not.

64 new cases yesterday, 55 on my island.

IMG-20200910-WA0000.thumb.jpg.892a51c3444489e5a54e79e6afb6f63a.jpg

10 hours ago, AngelsSin said:

There is new evidence that Trump knew the severity of this virus early on. That his bumbling, acting as if he is if I clueless is just that an act. In several (18 in all) interviews Trump talking with Bob Woodward, which these interviews are recorded. You can hear Trump confirm he knew that it was serious, that it was airborne, that he always intended to downplay the seriousness of it,etc.

Source: 

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/09/trump-bob-woodward-book-411225

can he be impeached again?

asking for over 190,000 americans who have died from this virus :angry:

4 hours ago, Astreya said:

@olympe

I just saw in the news that in Solingen the cases have risen sharply. Please stay safe!

Reveal hidden contents

map.png

And (almost?) all of the cases are related to one and the same family celebration in a neighboring town. Was it Leichlingen or Langenfeld? I think it was the former, but there's no guarantee I'm right. Either way, I wasn't invited, so I should be safe. ;) 

51 minutes ago, trystan said:

can he be impeached again?

asking for over 190,000 americans who have died from this virus :angry:

What for? For "heroically" preventing a panic? (Which, btw, is his reasoning for downplaying the pandemic.)

8 minutes ago, olympe said:

What for? For "heroically" preventing a panic? (Which, btw, is his reasoning for downplaying the pandemic.)

for knowingly downplaying the severity of a pandemic that has cost 190,000+ lives, for being reckless to the american public, for putting his own "i'm always wanting to downplay it" arrogance above the country he's supposed to serve.  americans are supposed to look to their leadership for guidance, for leadership, for reassurance.  purposely downplaying a deadly virus, not enforcing any federal guidelines, pretending it's less severe than it really is is NOT how a president should lead a country.  he lied, covered, up, downplayed... and admitted to all this. this is a blatant abuse of power, which also what he was impeached for by the House at the beginning of the year.  he has knowingly put the people of this county - and by extension the people of the world - in grave danger and bragging about it.

There was panic, though. Runs on the grocery stores, rampant misinformation passed on social media, doubts about what was safe and what wasn't, stock market tanked. Lying to people is not the way to prevent that. Giving them information that they know they can trust would be much more effective.

If he had just told the TRUTH (which I think is all but impossible for him) in a calm, reassuring manner and then proceeded to take the needed actions to deal with the virus, there would actually have been much less panic. THAT is leadership! You don't need to be an expert, but listen to those who are. Don't pass the buck down the line and then complain about how the governors are handling things and speak against the measures they are taking. Actually DO something to obtain supplies and get them where they are needed! Think about the people you are supposed to be elected to serve, not about saving your own re-election chances!

Many lives could have been saved. :(

And he is still lying! Trying to pretend that the pandemic is under control when it clearly is not!

Many hospitals still do not have the PPE that they need to keep their front-line workers safe. There is still not enough testing and test results are taking way too long to come back. He is still chasing miracle cures and a "warp speed" vaccine, instead of acting and speaking responsibly.

Edited by purplehaze

^ @purplehaze That would mean taking a page out of Merkel's book, whom he despises. Not gonna happen.

Why would he tell the truth if he can just use "happy words" instead?

Why would he take action if it doesn't benefit him?

Why would he listen to an expert when he "gets it" so well people are surprised about it? Especially if said experts have grave news to share...

Why would he take actions that probably would have affected economy if that's what he insists he excels at? And why not go against said actions if they're implemented by someone else down the line? Not cool!

Why would he take the blame that belongs to him if he can simply blame the evil Democratic governors instead?

Why would he act responsibly if it lowers his chance for a re-election? Besides, his snake oil "cures" and attempts to get a vaccine for the US only probably boost his popularity instantly. If he actually manages to get a (seemingly) working vaccine distributed before the election, he's pretty much guaranteed to win.

That being said, he did obtain supplies, and sometimes by means that are less than ethical. Also, Trump cannot give information that people know they can trust. Because everyone by now should have realized that Trump is not trustworthy.

2 minutes ago, olympe said:

Because everyone by now should have realized that Trump is not trustworthy.

But... one day it's just going to disappear. Like a miracle.

Right? :( 

We had a Covid staff meeting with a medical doctor today, reviewing symptoms, underlying conditions, the importance of masks, hand washing, sanitizing, social distancing, the whole shebang. And to remind people if they have their mask off. And to not take it personally if someone reminds you about yours.

So, as I was leaving, I reminded our shelter manager (hello? The guy supposedly in charge and leading by example?) to pull his up, and almost immediately had to tell the next staff member I saw the same thing. Gah.

1 hour ago, purplehaze said:

If he had just told the TRUTH (which I think is all but impossible for him) in a calm, reassuring manner and then proceeded to take the needed actions to deal with the virus, there would actually have been much less panic. THAT is leadership! You don't need to be an expert, but listen to those who are. Don't pass the buck down the line and then complain about how the governors are handling things and speak against the measures they are taking. Actually DO something to obtain supplies and get them where they are needed! Think about the people you are supposed to be elected to serve, not about saving your own re-election chances!

this...

1 hour ago, purplehaze said:

And he is still lying! Trying to pretend that the pandemic is under control when it clearly is not!

and more this.

and he wants the vaccine by election day.  and he and his base (and his sons!) think this is a Dem hoax that will go away after election day (wtf?!)

29 minutes ago, olympe said:

Trump cannot give information that people know they can trust. Because everyone by now should have realized that Trump is not trustworthy.

but not everyone has.  therein lies the problem... there are people who think he's gods gift to america. 🤮 ugh.

24 minutes ago, Lagie said:

So, as I was leaving, I reminded our shelter manager (hello? The guy supposedly in charge and leading by example?) to pull his up, and almost immediately had to tell the next staff member I saw the same thing. Gah.

yeah, that sounds about right.

93 new cases yesterday, 89 of them on my island, and 2 additional deaths. :(

(Will this ever stop?)

IMG-20200911-WA0000.thumb.jpg.38e7201cc7e04ee16934a78f71f1cc9d.jpg

@Lagie

Things at your place really sound dire :(  Please continue to stay safe!

In my hometown, there was a report that one pupil of my old secondary school Sophie-Scholl-Gymnasium was tested positive. All courses he attended were cancelled for now, although it seems that they want to return to business as usual by Monday, Sep 14, nonetheless.

The numbers in Solingen appear to be worse today, too, as the 7-day incidence rose from yesterday's 25.1 to 34.5 today.

------------------

As of today, Friday, September 10, 08:30 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 22 (-11) active cases, while 505 (+14) people have recovered. All in all there have been 540 (+3) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 9.5.

Currently 1 (+-0) person is treated in hospital in intensive care. 13 persons sadly died. 227 (+12) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 29.405 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

Edited by Astreya

22 minutes ago, Astreya said:

@Lagie

Things at your place really sound dire :(  Please continue to stay safe!

I shall try! I keep my mask on all the time now, even sitting at my own desk in a closed office because I never know if someone has been there in my absence.

Our shelter manager had a Covid test done (results pending) and is still at work!!! :blink: The doctor who was speaking to us yesterday gaped at him and said, "You do know you're supposed to self-quarantine till you get the results, right?" He still didn't go home. Sigh. We're doomed.

3 hours ago, Lagie said:

Our shelter manager had a Covid test done (results pending) and is still at work!!! :blink: The doctor who was speaking to us yesterday gaped at him and said, "You do know you're supposed to self-quarantine till you get the results, right?" He still didn't go home. Sigh. We're doomed.

Stupid people.  Grand Covidiot.  

Hello everyone! Those that I recall from long ago and those that I look forward to meeting. I have been gone for so long. Soooo long. I had a battle with health issues a while back and was almost back then had to move and lost my computer then in the beginning of this year got Covid (Unconfirmed) for the first time, they kept calling it the flu or Acute Bronchitis... for months and months of a battle... Then a month ago I got Covid (Confirmed) again. It was pretty much the same, not as bad in some ways, a little worse in others, but the same... I am now two weeks clear of the Covid Diagnosis but the things that I struggle with day in and day out because of it, well let's just say I may not be able to get anyone sick and I may no longer have a fever but my body is still fighting to get better and from my understanding of what happened last time and what I have heard and read... I may have a bit of time to go. If anyone has any specific questions, I would be happy to answer the best I can.

@Rekha

I'm so sorry to hear that you still have to struggle with this drat disease. There are numerous reports of people who have to deal with this for months, but I really hope that you will be able to recover fully nonetheless. Please stay strong as much as you can!

------------------

As of today, Saturday, September 12, 09:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 22 (+-0) active cases, while 506 (+1) people have recovered. All in all there have been 541 (+1) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 7.6.

Currently 1 (+-0) person is treated in hospital in intensive care. 13 persons sadly died. 232 (+5) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 29.559 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

@Rekha I am so sorry to hear that you have had such a hard time. I do hope you will soon be able to kick this thing in the teeth and feel better!

Did anyone doubt this was going to happen?

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/11/exclusive-trump-officials-interfered-with-cdc-reports-on-covid-19-412809

The health department’s politically appointed communications aides have demanded the right to review and seek changes to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s weekly scientific reports charting the progress of the coronavirus pandemic, in what officials characterized as an attempt to intimidate the reports’ authors and water down their communications to health professionals.

In some cases, emails from communications aides to CDC Director Robert Redfield and other senior officials openly complained that the agency’s reports would undermine President Donald Trump's optimistic messages about the outbreak, according to emails reviewed by POLITICO and three people familiar with the situation.

[...]

The CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Reports are authored by career scientists and serve as the main vehicle for the agency to inform doctors, researchers and the general public about how Covid-19 is spreading and who is at risk. Such reports have historically been published with little fanfare and no political interference, said several longtime health department officials, and have been viewed as a cornerstone of the nation's public health work for decades.

But since Michael Caputo, a former Trump campaign official with no medical or scientific background, was installed in April as the health department's new spokesperson, there have been substantial efforts to align the reports with Trump's statements, including the president's claims that fears about the outbreak are overstated, or stop the reports altogether.

Caputo and his team have attempted to add caveats to the CDC's findings, including an effort to retroactively change agency reports that they said wrongly inflated the risks of Covid-19 and should have made clear that Americans sickened by the virus may have been infected because of their own behavior, according to the individuals familiar with the situation and emails reviewed by POLITICO.

Caputo's team also has tried to halt the release of some CDC reports, including delaying a report that addressed how doctors were prescribing hydroxychloroquine, the malaria drug favored by Trump as a coronavirus treatment despite scant evidence. The report, which was held for about a month after Caputo’s team raised questions about its authors’ political leanings, was finally published last week. It said that "the potential benefits of these drugs do not outweigh their risks."

In one clash, an aide to Caputo berated CDC scientists for attempting to use the reports to "hurt the President" in an Aug. 8 email sent to CDC Director Robert Redfield and other officials that was widely circulated inside the department and obtained by POLITICO.

"CDC to me appears to be writing hit pieces on the administration," appointee Paul Alexander wrote, calling on Redfield to modify two already published reports that Alexander claimed wrongly inflated the risks of coronavirus to children and undermined Trump's push to reopen schools. "CDC tried to report as if once kids get together, there will be spread and this will impact school re-opening . . . Very misleading by CDC and shame on them. Their aim is clear."

Edited by purplehaze

Sorry. I am having trouble editing the post above. Everything I try to add ends up inside the quote!

Bolding is mine. Read the whole article. There is much more very damning information there.

But mind you -- "President Trump has never lied to the American people" per his lovely little press secretary (paid professional liar!).

@purplehaze

Sounds a bit like Mr.Lukashenko of Belarus who told a reporter who interviewed him something along the line of "There is no virus - or do you see it flying around somewhere?"

Or Mr.Putin's goonies when they said about the poisoned Russian opposition politician Alexei Navalny: "There was no poison in him when he left Russia, it must have been given to him in Germany."

Rogue state USofA, courtesy of Mr.Trump.

@Astreya and @purplehaze thank you so much. I am doing my very best to get through this. Hopefully only a handful of months and then I'll be back in action. Either way I am not letting it tear me down.

@Rekha I wish you all the best and a perfect and as swift as possible recovery.

5 hours ago, Astreya said:

Or Mr.Putin's goonies when they said about the poisoned Russian opposition politician Alexei Navalny: "There was no poison in him when he left Russia, it must have been given to him in Germany."

The funny thing is that speculation about a acetylcholinesterase inhibitor has been around before Navalny even left Russian soil, which then got demented by Russia. I certainly like the Russian explanation: Navalny collapsed and went into a coma for no apparent reason, and got poisoned with a Russian chemical weapon days later in the country that offered to help him and shortly before he became responsive again. Sure, let's go with that explanation. Even if it seems more likely that Nawalny was poisoned by US agents in order to throw another wrench into the building of Nord Stream 2. (Not that that's particularly likely, either...)

@Rekha, hope you recover soon.

60 additional cases yesterday, 56 on my island, and two additional deaths. :(

I'm pretty certain we have now overtaken Jamaica, which has a much larger population, with our numbers.

IMG-20200912-WA0001.thumb.jpg.4079211f4af3b07f25a5face6a725601.jpg

@Rekha I'm sorry to hear you've had this virus not once, but twice. I'll keep you in my thoughts for a full recovery.

6 hours ago, Astreya said:

Rogue state USofA, courtesy of Mr.Trump.

We're not that different from fascism at this point. We've never been a true democracy, no matter what we try to say to the contrary. Next year is going to be terrible. 

8 hours ago, purplehaze said:

No. 

54 new cases today, 45 on my island. No deaths today.

IMG-20200912-WA0006.thumb.jpg.c06376ef990b9d81da6c25231f3ae11c.jpg

As of today, Sunday, September 13, 09:30 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 28 (+6) active cases, while 507 (+1) people have recovered. All in all there have been 548 (+) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 10.9.

Currently 2 (+1) persons are treated in hospital, both in intensive care. 13 persons sadly died. 252 (+20) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 29.559 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.