trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

In NRW, we have municipal elections today. The experience is definitely different due to corona. More distance, seemingly more waiting (and for a municipal election, which usually has the lowest voter turnout of all!), face masks everywhere. 

That being said, I'm kind of nervous to find out what Monday will bring. Will there be a new lockdown for my hometown or not? Because we had quite a few infections since Wednesday and are at 35.something per 100 k population per week as of Friday. Lockdown measures are mandatory from 50 per 100k and week. No new stats have been posted since riday, so what happens is everybody's guess.

I voted three weeks ago already (via "direct vote" in the town hall, which is technically a mail-vote, but done in a proper election booth with an urn on any weekday in the 4 weeks leading up to the election proper). Which reminds me, I should look up the results, they should be almost through with the count.

@olympe

I hope you will not have to get into a new lockdown.

The situation in Garmisch is outrageous, though. It seems a woman who was tested and got told to isolate went out to party in several (!) bars and night clubs despite having symptoms. Now there have been numerous infections as it seems - and the bar owners consider suing the woman for damages. Plus she might be either fined or even be put to prison for violating the measures laid down in the Infection Protection Act.

Edited by Astreya

6 hours ago, purplehaze said:

Interesting article from the Atlantic about what the US did wrong in the pandemic and why.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/09/pandemic-intuition-nightmare-spiral-winter/616204/

Can we break the pattern and act in more productive ways? Sadly I think the answer is no, as long as Donald Trump is President.

totally agree here.  americans need to learn how to do more than one thing at a time, and learn how to do things for the greater good, beyond their own, personal self. people are still selfishly not wearing masks or wearing them incorrectly... as well as figuring they're done with covid, so now it can go away.  pretty sure that's not how it works.

As things look, the superspreader from Garmisch (a 26 year old US American woman living there who just returned from a holiday) might be fined up to 25 000 Euros, as she was told to quarantine and still went to several bars and night clubs. If it can be proven that it was her who infected others, it is even possible that she can be sued for causing bodily harm. Additionally, the bar and night club owners consider suing her for damages as they are put under new restrictions.

In Oberhausen, a pupil of the Friedrich-Ebert-Realschule (another school practically next door to my place - it would have been the polling station where I should have gone to the election, if I had not done voting by mail) tested positive for Covid-19. He and 5 more pupils were put into quarantine now.

----------------------

As of today, Monday, September 14, 09:30 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 26 (-2) active cases, while 509 (+2) people have recovered. All in all there have been 548 (+-0) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 8.1.

Currently 1 (-1) person is treated in hospital (in intensive care). 13 persons sadly died. 239 (-13) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 29.567 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

16 hours ago, Astreya said:

The situation in Garmisch is outrageous, though. It seems a woman who was tested and got told to isolate went out to party in several (!) bars and night clubs despite having symptoms. Now there have been numerous infections as it seems - and the bar owners consider suing the woman for damages. Plus she might be either fined or even be put to prison for violating the measures laid down in the Infection Protection Act.

Does it surprise anyone that the woman in question is a US citizen?

16 hours ago, Astreya said:

I hope you will not have to get into a new lockdown.

Well, we're at 38,7 per 100 k per week as of today, so...  However, the biggest jumps were 7 and 6 days ago, respectively, so we just might get around it. If not - well, we'll survive.

We also had a couple of other cases at schools - the latest from this weekend at a school that has been hit within the first week after the summer break. Geschwister-Scholl-Gesamtschule, you rock!

A colleague of mine has a daughter attending said school and she would have had to go into quarantine according to the data the school sent. Fortunately for her, the school sent wrong data. (They claimed the covid-positive student was in a RE couse that they aren't, which my coworker's daughter attends.)

1 hour ago, olympe said:
18 hours ago, Astreya said:

what an a$$!

2 hours ago, Astreya said:

As things look, the superspreader from Garmisch (a 26 year old US American woman living there who just returned from a holiday) might be fined up to 25 000 Euros, as she was told to quarantine and still went to several bars and night clubs. If it can be proven that it was her who infected others, it is even possible that she can be sued for causing bodily harm. Additionally, the bar and night club owners consider suing her for damages as they are put under new restrictions.

she should be fined and sued for all she's got... and i'll bet she still won't care.  this is most definitely a Covidiot-Karen *sigh*

1 hour ago, olympe said:

Not in the least.

46 new cases yesterday, 43 on my island.

IMG-20200914-WA0000.thumb.jpg.0a5cf81aa54c45d68ce83f5c32105ada.jpg

Switzerland now has its own miracle cure, in a product based on this plant. Some newspapers reported that it killed coronavirus in vitro, and apparently (as was to be expected) pharmacies are already running low on it.

I mean it would be nice if some plant could prevent or cure covid, but maybe don't immediately buy everything that newspapers say "kills corona"?

(At least this medicine is unlikely to cause any harm.)

16 minutes ago, Confused Cat said:

Switzerland now has its own miracle cure, in a product based on this plant. Some newspapers reported that it killed coronavirus in vitro, and apparently (as was to be expected) pharmacies are already running low on it.

I mean it would be nice if some plant could prevent or cure covid, but maybe don't immediately buy everything that newspapers say "kills corona"?

(At least this medicine is unlikely to cause any harm.)

Echinacea is good for lots of things!

Some people here have been trying cerassee (a local bush tea).

1 hour ago, Confused Cat said:

Switzerland now has its own miracle cure, in a product based on this plant.

Well, Echinacea is supposed to be good for the immune system, so it shouldn't do too much harm (we can but hope).

But frankly, those touted "miracle cures" (particularly the hydroxychloroquine run a while ago) really remind me of the Forsythia thing from the movie Contagion.

By the way, here's an English language article about the Garmisch superspreader:  https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/14/american-accused-of-ignoring-covid-19-quarantine-to-go-on-bavaria-bar-crawl

Thank you all for the well wishes. Today I learned I can smell things again so that's a start! 

Right now though I am so frustrated. We finally started getting our numbers down here in Nevada, but Trump held a rally last night, thousands of people, most not wearing masks and no social distancing inside of a building. Broke all of our current emergency effort restrictions. He always feels that the rules don't apply to him. Now I am just waiting two weeks to watch as our numbers sky rocket again!

1 hour ago, Rekha said:

Thank you all for the well wishes. Today I learned I can smell things again so that's a start! 

Right now though I am so frustrated. We finally started getting our numbers down here in Nevada, but Trump held a rally last night, thousands of people, most not wearing masks and no social distancing inside of a building. Broke all of our current emergency effort restrictions. He always feels that the rules don't apply to him. Now I am just waiting two weeks to watch as our numbers sky rocket again!

Hello, fellow Nevadan. Hope your recovery goes well. I keep hoping enough of his followers will get sick to recognize him for the liar he is.

3 minutes ago, RainDear said:

Hello, fellow Nevadan. Hope your recovery goes well. I keep hoping enough of his followers will get sick to recognize him for the liar he is.

Thank you very much and I keep hoping the same thing in a way, but only because they deserve to know the truth.

2 hours ago, Rekha said:

this is good news! keep getting better! :) 

2 hours ago, Rekha said:

i agree, this is all frustrating.  and i also agree with you that he thinks the rules don't apply to him.  i think trump himself might have to get sick to take it seriously

17 minutes ago, Astreya said:
2 hours ago, trystan said:

i think trump himself might have to get sick to take it seriously

Even former Italian PM Berlusconi found out that Covid-19 is no fun: Silvio Berlusconi says he is fighting 'hellish' case of coronavirus

with everything i've been hearing about COVID-19, trump is really the only person i'd wish it on...

Glad you are feeling better, @Rekha!

Our beaches have opened fully now! And you can now have 20 rather than 10 people at a wedding or a funeral (including the officiants).

Nvm. Fake news.

But... we still have cases.

34 new cases yesterday, 23 on my island, and one additional death. :(

IMG-20200915-WA0001.thumb.jpg.acc296b7743445e7ccb8be5f5c42098b.jpg

Edited by Lagie
Updating

Now our neighbour town Mülheim is orange on the map, too, just like Solingen still:

Spoiler

map.png

----------------------

As of today, Tuesday, September 15, 09:30 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 25 (-1) active cases, while 512 (+3) people have recovered. All in all there have been 548* (+-0) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 8.1.

Currently 1 (+-0) person is treated in hospital (in intensive care). 13 persons sadly died. 219 (-20) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 29.620 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

*) For some reason it seems the numbers don't add up properly. I just c+p'd them as-is from the website nonetheless. IMO it should be 550. We'll see if they'll have corrected it by tomorrow.

Eeps. Stay safe, @Astreya!

Scratched out my update from earlier. Why do people make fake news?

Twenty-four new cases today, twenty on my island, and one additional death. :(

IMG-20200915-WA0007.thumb.jpg.21f7a3ca34151a70ee9837e345ccc93a.jpg

Edited by Lagie
Typo

11 hours ago, Astreya said:

@Lagie

I'll try to. It seems to be more important that you'll manage to stay safe with the numbers at your place!

By the way, I stumbled over another article that details the long-term problems that Covid-19 can cause:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/15/fears-covid-may-leave-thousands-in-uk-with-severe-kidney-disease-long-term-effects-coronavirus

Will try to!

Great... I already have a kidney disease... :rolleyes:

As of today, Wednesday, September 16, 09:30 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 25 (+-0) active cases, while 515 (+3) people have recovered. All in all there have been 550 (+3) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 7.6.

Currently 2 (+1) persons are treated in hospital (both in intensive care). 13 persons sadly died. 207 (-12) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 30 036 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.