trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

Most inconsiderate, indeed. He would not have been coming into my house.

107 cases today, 59 of those on my island, and two additional deaths. :(

IMG-20200819-WA0012.thumb.jpg.24d6cbfab43a6114cc6da4afa1f07d6d.jpg

5 hours ago, Classycal said:

Yes.  And sigh...  Of all the places a cable guy goes, mine came today to hook up my cable and internet, and he wore no mask.  *headdesks*

ugh. 

we've had guys here to tune up the AC, they each wore a mask.  but the guy that installed my new storm door didn't - but he also stayed outside, or far enough away when he came in only our front room.  in october we're getting our heater tuned up, and i think they wear masks too.

6 hours ago, Classycal said:

Yes.  And sigh...  Of all the places a cable guy goes, mine came today to hook up my cable and internet, and he wore no mask.  *headdesks*

I wouldn't have let him in without one. When strangers enter my home they and I wear a mask. 

I recently went to the dentist and one of the assistants working on me had her mask under her nose. I had to tap her and ask her to cover her nose. I didn't have to ask her again.

10 minutes ago, purpledragonclaw said:

I wouldn't have let him in without one. When strangers enter my home they and I wear a mask. 

I recently went to the dentist and one of the assistants working on me had her mask under her nose. I had to tap her and ask her to cover her nose. I didn't have to ask her again.

My dentist and his assistant wear masks even when there isn't a pandemic.  

1 hour ago, Classycal said:

mine as well... they have been for a number of years, too.

1 hour ago, Classycal said:

Mine do as well, but before the pandemic they didn't have their noses uncovered. Or if they did, I never noticed. I'm very sensitive now. Fortunately they all had PPE on on top of their masks. I know I'm more of a danger to them than they are to me since I have no coverings, but I can't be too careful.

As of today, Thursday, August 20, 10:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 40 (-10) active cases, while 415 (+16) people have recovered. All in all there have been 467 (+6) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 10.4.

Currently 2 (+-0) persons are treated in hospital, none of them in intensive care. 12 persons sadly died. 196 (+14) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 20 801 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

Edited by Astreya

79 additional cases, 70 on my island, plus one more death. :(

IMG-20200820-WA0008.thumb.jpg.bee789354b67829a7f19850b828638cd.jpg

Stay safe, Lagie.

My town is in danger of going into lockdown, as there's been a spike.  A large pub had to shut a few days ago, and there will have been plenty of drinkers there. The mobile testing service is here today. And still on our local facebook page, there are non-believers. Because no-one is dying in the hospital, it's all media hype and nothing to worry about. Words fail me.

1 hour ago, quinney said:

Stay safe, Lagie.

My town is in danger of going into lockdown, as there's been a spike.  A large pub had to shut a few days ago, and there will have been plenty of drinkers there. The mobile testing service is here today. And still on our local facebook page, there are non-believers. Because no-one is dying in the hospital, it's all media hype and nothing to worry about. Words fail me.

People are idiots. And honestly, death rates are not the only thing to worry about with covid either. The Atlantic has an interesting article about the "long-haul" covid experience. It's looking more and more as if covid can lead to auto-immune problems such as myalgic encephalomyelitis, more commonly known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and other issues with the autonomic nervous system.

A lot of people who get sick with covid continue to experience issues for months - regardless of whether they did or didn't require hospitalization. Two people I know are experiencing this, they both got covid back in March. The younger and (pre-covid) healthier of the couple spent over a month in hospital (2 weeks for the other) and here it is August and they're still having trouble with shortness of breath, balance, heart arrhythmia, and brain fog among other issues. (This is just what I know of.)

I'm starting to think this might end up looking similar to polio. That killed, yes, but people didn't fear it because it killed. They feared it because of the paralysis it could leave behind. They feared being unable to walk, or being unable to use their hands, or being unable to breathe without help from an iron lung. They feared never being able to live a "normal" life again.

2 hours ago, catstaff said:

People are idiots. And honestly, death rates are not the only thing to worry about with covid either. The Atlantic has an interesting article about the "long-haul" covid experience. It's looking more and more as if covid can lead to auto-immune problems such as myalgic encephalomyelitis, more commonly known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and other issues with the autonomic nervous system.

A lot of people who get sick with covid continue to experience issues for months - regardless of whether they did or didn't require hospitalization. Two people I know are experiencing this, they both got covid back in March. The younger and (pre-covid) healthier of the couple spent over a month in hospital (2 weeks for the other) and here it is August and they're still having trouble with shortness of breath, balance, heart arrhythmia, and brain fog among other issues. (This is just what I know of.)

I'm starting to think this might end up looking similar to polio. That killed, yes, but people didn't fear it because it killed. They feared it because of the paralysis it could leave behind. They feared being unable to walk, or being unable to use their hands, or being unable to breathe without help from an iron lung. They feared never being able to live a "normal" life again.

Yes, I follow Dr. John Campbell who does a daily video update. He says it how it is, worldwide and with all its side effects.  He also fears for the winter since we're not getting a vaccine just yet, and sees schools and universities as 'superspreaders'.

I just phoned my cousin who lives in Saxonia which doesn't appear to be so badly affected by SARS-CoV-2 as NRW is (86 new cases in the last 7 days vs 2603 new cases in the last 7 days here). He told me that a family of three with whom he is closely acquainted got all infected and one of them died (person in the 50es without known underlying conditions). Somehow this puts the cold numbers into perspective. (And no, I didn't know said family as I usually talk to my cousin only twice a year - when I phone him for his birthday and vice versa.)

----------------------

As of today, Friday, August 21, 09:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 39 (-1) active cases, while 417 (+2) people have recovered. All in all there have been 468 (+1) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 8.5.

Currently 2 (+-0) persons are treated in hospital, none of them in intensive care. 12 persons sadly died. 212 (+16) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 20 955 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

Is this a joke? One of our cities - the aforementioned Offenbach - has gotten past the 50 new infections per 100,000 population per week. The new measures for Offenbach that are being taken:

- No congregations of more than 100 people.

- No family gatherings/parties with more than 50 people.

- Face masks being mandatory in schools (and kindergarten).

- Sport clubs being allowed to train with up to 10 people at once.

- Meetings between 2 households allowed, as long as both households have no more than 5 people.

Did I miss any?

This just blows me away. Why allow 100 people to spend time together in whichever way possible? Why allow celebrations with 50 people, no questions asked? *sigh*

Offenbach in Hesse? That Hesse which just reported an outbreak in Groß-Gerau with currently 30 infected persons from a wedding party of 160 persons? (The married couple celebrated twice (!) once with 100, the second time with 160 guests on August 7 and 14. - Source: https://www.n-tv.de/panorama/23-27-Bericht-Laender-erwaegen-Verschaerfung-von-Corona-Massnahmen--article21626512.html)

Very clever, that! 

10 minutes ago, Astreya said:

Offenbach in Hesse? That Hesse which just reported an outbreak in Groß-Gerau with currently 30 infected persons from a wedding party of 160 persons? (The married couple celebrated twice (!) once with 100, the second time with 160 guests on August 7 and 14. - Source: https://www.n-tv.de/panorama/23-27-Bericht-Laender-erwaegen-Verschaerfung-von-Corona-Massnahmen--article21626512.html)

Very clever, that! 

2 hours ago, olympe said:

Is this a joke? One of our cities - the aforementioned Offenbach - has gotten past the 50 new infections per 100,000 population per week. The new measures for Offenbach that are being taken:

:o That doesn't sound good. :blink:

We're waiting on tenterhooks to see what happens here next week with regards to lockdowns. We're back to open days and curfew nights so people can prep in case Tropical Storm Laura decides she just has to visit the Bahamas.

@Lagie

I hope the storm will give the Bahamas a wide berth! *fingers crossed*

Here one can see today's top 10 that no-one wants to be part of - and one can see that Hesse has three municipalities up there. Duisburg (Oberhausen's neighbour town) hasn't left the list for many days now:

map.png

Edited by Astreya

2 hours ago, Astreya said:

@Lagie

I hope the storm will give the Bahamas a wide berth! *fingers crossed*

Here one can see today's top 10 that no-one wants to be part of - and one can see that Hesse has three municipalities up there. Duisburg (Oberhausen's neighbour town) hasn't left the list for many days now:

map.png

Thanks!

And that chart explains my brother's cryptic Facebook post earlier, consisting of just the number for Offenbach.

We have had no update today.

As of today, Saturday, August 22, 09:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 33 (-6) active cases, while 423 (+6) people have recovered. All in all there have been 468 (+-0) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 7.1.

Currently 2 (+-0) persons are treated in hospital, none of them in intensive care. 12 persons sadly died. 218 (+6) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 21 131 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

August 21st late update for the Bahamas:

93 additional cases, 63 on my island. 4 more deaths. :(

IMG-20200822-WA0000.thumb.jpg.5edf20d2cfc606b7843252444ab06ac7.jpg

The storm seems to be veering away from us, thank goodness.

Looks like the tightening of the anti-covid19 measures here (and the threat of high fines, I guess) slowed down things a bit.

As of today, Sunday, August 23, 09:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 27 (-6) active cases, while 430 (+7) people have recovered. All in all there have been 469 (+1) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 7.8.

Currently 3 (+1) persons are treated in hospital, none of them in intensive care. 12 persons sadly died. 216 (-2) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 21 131 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Edited by Astreya

I'm glad you're slowing, @Astreya

We're not.

62 new cases yesterday, 28 on my island, 2 on a previously unaffected island. And sadly, two more deaths. :(

IMG-20200823-WA0000.thumb.jpg.4f2f102a5b36aa4d2c9f3af9cac51d0e.jpg

Edited by Lagie
Typo

I think the number that is always missing is the one for cases with issues lasting longer than a month (number of long haulers.) I wonder if that would get people thinking about this disease as being something other than a temporary inconvenience ...

@Lagie

That's sad to hear. I really hope you will get the things under wraps soon, too!

@Ruby Eyes

I would really love to see that number, too. I think if you'd have "XY people sort of recovered, but Z still having lasting debilitating effects", this might give people some more thought to be careful not to get it in the first place.

Well, people here keep asking why the recovery numbers never change and the Minister of Health finally said, it hasn't changed because they haven't yet recovered (you could almost hear the word 'dummies' unspoken at the end). I think many people are clueless just how serious this is.

And our Leader of the Opposition has upped and gone to the US for treatment. The man wants to be PM and yet doesn't trust the local hospital to get him better? That doesn't show much faith in the country he hopes to govern.

@Lagie

Not just that but the U.S. has a lot of people who need care and by coming here he could be taking a spot that could be used for an American Citizen who needs it.

Edited by AngelsSin