trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

We're slowly being surrounded by local lockdowns - I think it's only a matter of time and we'll be joining them.

Oh crap they are going to close the pubs again. I must hurry and get to one....

Edited by Fuzzbucket

Good idea. After all, alcohol is said to kill the virus... And you can even inje... inge... ingest it! /sarcasm

4 hours ago, olympe said:

Another trend in Germany is that infections cannot be traced any more. Someone catches it, and it's impossible to tell where or how or when. Which means that things are, undoubtedly, getting out of control - slowly but surely.

And then you have around 20 000 Covidiots, Anti-vaxxers and other brain-amputated blockheads demonstrating in Berlin against the protective measures against Covid-19 - of course without masks and in densely packed crowds. So we have ample amounts of idiots in Germany, too.

8 minutes ago, Astreya said:

And then you have around 20 000 Covidiots, Anti-vaxxers and other brain-amputated blockheads demonstrating in Berlin against the protective measures against Covid-19 - of course without masks and in densely packed crowds. So we have ample amounts of idiots in Germany, too.

May they rest in peace. After being ventilated without success. 😧 

One can hope. Hope dies last, after all. But it's most likely futile to hope against all odds. :( 

It appears that England can either have schools or pubs open. Decisions, decisions... 🙄

I'll take pubs. Then again, I have no children - but there is my grandson... OK I'll buy beer in ALDI....

Nah, keep the pubs open. It's better for the children to not get infected (and become asymptomatic spreaders of the disease if they're lucky). You see, visiting a pub is personal choice, but attending school isn't.

Mr.Trump really hates the truth:

Donald Trump launched an extraordinary attack on his own top infectious disease expert, Dr Anthony Fauci, arguing against the doctor’s claim that high rates of infection in the US stem from a less aggressive reaction to the virus in terms of economic shutdowns and stay-at-home orders.

“Wrong!” countered the president as he retweeted a video of Fauci making the point in recent congressional testimony.

Fauci had explained that differentiations between surging US infections and a sharp decrease seen across Europe could be explained by the different reactions to the virus. Fauci said most European countries shut their economies down by 95%, while the US only shut down its economy by half.

Trump countered: “We have more cases because we have tested far more than any other country, 60,000,000. If we tested less, there would be less cases. How did Italy, France & Spain do? Now Europe sadly has flare ups. Most of our governors worked hard & smart. We will come back STRONG!”

But Fauci’s point accurately describes the US situation. While some states followed Centers for Disease Control guidelines when they started to re-open, many did not, leading to a surge in infections in many southern and western states, Fauci explained.

“There are some states that did it very well, there are some states that did not,” he said, adding that many were doing better now thanks to improved testing.

Source:  https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/aug/01/trump-covid-19-fauci-cases-testing

ATTENTION!

Please do not clean face mask with petrol [i.e. gasoline] as what a certain Filipino suggested. He does not have a medical, pharmacy, or chemistry licence to give this advice. Petrol vapours can be dangerous to the lungs and does not disinfect. It is a solvent that can wash away or remove certain dirt [e.g. grease, paints] but is not a disinfectant.
Take care, my good friends!

N.B. Petrol is UK term for gasoline
N.B. News article: https://ph.news.yahoo.com/rodrigo-duter ... 29812.html

Yours faithfully,
georgexu94

1 hour ago, georgexu94 said:

ATTENTION!

Please do not clean face mask with petrol [i.e. gasoline] as what a certain Filipino suggested. He does not have a medical, pharmacy, or chemistry licence to give this advice. Petrol vapours can be dangerous to the lungs and does not disinfect. It is a solvent that can wash away or remove certain dirt [e.g. grease, paints] but is not a disinfectant.
Take care, my good friends!

But you can clean your face mask with petrol if you add fire to it. Wait, the face mask is turned to ashes? Well, so is the virus! /sarcasm

Legal Disclaimer: No, don't use fire on cloth drenched in petrol. It might burn you. Badly. You don't want that.

Even though the number of active cases has decreased, we atill have 7 more new infections. Plus I wonder how many of the people listed as recovered are really recovered if the Gesundheitamt just follows the RKI practice of declaring home-isolated people as recovered if they haven't died after 14 days. (There is no duty to verify this number by an additional test to see if the people are really "clean" of the virus.)

-------------

Daily update for Oberhausen, NRW, Germany:

As of today, Sunday, August 2, 10:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 49 (-😎 active cases, while 336 (+15) people have recovered. All in all there have been 397 (+7) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 12.3.

Currently 5 (-3) persons are treated in hospitals, one of them in intensive care. 12 persons sadly died. 216 (+3) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 17 629 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen up to Saturday, August 1.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

+ 49 cases today, 27 of them on my island. Hospitaliztions are on the rise. :(

IMG-20200802-WA0015.thumb.jpg.f85ec20b219cf9e292b6ae8f8083b804.jpg

Daily update for Oberhausen, NRW, Germany:

As of today, Monday, August 3, 10:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 51 (+2) active cases, while 336 (+-0) people have recovered. All in all there have been 399 (+2) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 11.8.

Currently 6 (+1) persons are treated in hospitals, one of them in intensive care. 12 persons sadly died. 221 (+5) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 17 794 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen up to Monday, August 3 with 320 more scheduled to be done today.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

We are going back into a full two week lockdown beginning tomorrow at 10 p.m. (Cave time). I hope it helps. Guess I won't have to unpack all the shop stuff we stowed away for the hurricane...

31 new cases today, 9 on my island.

IMG-20200803-WA0001.thumb.jpg.bb65ca9e649e7a7c0e429138cb3ec930.jpg

The number of people in Germany who are tired of the Covid19 prevention measures seem to continually grow. When we had only about 4300 (known) active cases about 2 weeks ago, today there are about 8300 (known) active cases.

Some people from the combined Covidiot / PEGIDA / neo fascist / anti-vaxxers / conspiracy theorists / anti-government / etc (the people observed seems to have been an extremely unlikely and toxic mix)  demonstrations on the weekend were interviewed and some of them quite happily replied that they don't believe there is a virus, it is just an invention of the government and the media, and those who do not totally ignore it claim that the numbers are fake. dash1.gif.32cc309e85ea533e07528ce899e07aa4.gif

----------------------

As of today, Tuesday, August 4, 10:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 53 (+2) active cases, while 338 (+2) people have recovered. All in all there have been 403 (+4) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 11.4.

Currently 7 (+1) persons are treated in hospitals, none of them in intensive care. 12 persons sadly died. 243 (+22) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 18 068 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen up to Monday, August 3 with 104 more scheduled to be done today.

Edited by Astreya

I had coffee yesterday afternoon with someone who firmly believes that Covid-19 only affects the old (so we should let them get it and die) and that Dr. Fauci will be making millions from the vaccine patent. *headdesks*

Interesting paragraph in a book I finished yesterday (published 2001!):

In the end what happened to the Plantagenets' Anglo-French empire was very similar to the fate of the Roman Empire. Both were brought low by a biomedical devastation that caused a sharp fall in the size of the working and military population. Both were grand edifices undone by the spectre of infectious disease and pandemics. There is a lesson for the American empire today in that situation.

In the Wake of the Plague: The Black Death & the World It Made by Norman F. Cantor (2001)

36 additional cases yesterday, 20 on my island. We are now officially in lockdown again.

IMG-20200804-WA0019.thumb.jpg.afeb2187e0ffdc81829b6967242ad854.jpg

Last weekend a Basketball player (who is big into conspiracy theories together with his girl-friend) was seen without any mask or distancing in the crowd of the people demonstrating against the Covid-19 protection measures in Berlin. Today he was fired by his basketball team Baskets Bonn due to the fact that he was a walking infection risk for the rest of the basketball team. And now he whines around that this was an act against the freedom of speech... :headdesk:

Source: https://www.tagesspiegel.de/sport/coronaleugner-gerieren-sich-als-maertyrer-so-tickt-das-umstrittene-sportlerpaar-joshiko-saibou-und-alexandra-wester/26067184.html

----------------------

As of today, Wednesday, August 5, 10:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 46 (-7) active cases, while 348 (+10) people have recovered. All in all there have been 406 (+3) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 12.3.

Currently 6 (-1) persons are treated in hospitals, none of them in intensive care. 12 persons sadly died. 234 (-9) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 18 187 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen up to Wednesday, August 5, 09:00 GMT+2, with 129 more scheduled to be done today.

36 additional cases today, 30 on my island putting us back ahead of the other Covid hotspot island. I am working at home tomorrow.

IMG-20200805-WA0018.thumb.jpg.d7013ee75501fc80c80133bb661fa450.jpg

Edited by Lagie
Typo

my county, yesterday's numbers (pretty sure)

Total Confirmed Cases: 6,686

Recoveries: 5,590

Deaths: 514

(https://covid19-bucksgis.hub.arcgis.com/)

29 cases in my municipality

(https://bucksgis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Media/index.html?appid=89e673a583fc4f44a8139205346a0ab6)

28 new cases yesterday (4 aug)

(https://bucksgis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/a7e4f8a794a34bb5903813cdea584edb)

sorry for the double post, but i wanted to post this somewhere.  hubby has a friend Sm, and they have a friend Sh (just go with it).  so Sm texts hubby that Sh is sick and might have covid. Sh is the kinda guy that goes out partying and not wearing a mask. *sigh*  so Sm and Sh work in the same office, there's only like 10 or so people, but they wear masks at work.  Sh and Sm got tested today, and won't know until next week (Sm says he feels fine, but he does know about being pre- or asymptomatic.  and as it happens, hubby went over Sm's place on sunday to watch a race and get some food.  they did the social distancing thing and wore masks when they got their food, and ate outside.

to be on the safe side, hubby will be working from home for the next two weeks, and will be living in our home office as well.  there's a whole mess of other details (younger daughter and i work in retail, i do the shopping, but i always wear a mask.  there's only two people in my office and we're rarely less than 6 ft apart), but younger daughter is none too happy about this, as her and a few friends in her bubble are planning a weekend away (with social distancing and masks), and now she might not be able to go.  thing is, she doesn't really interact much with hubby, and in the morning i'm going to ask him about wearing a mask in the house when he's not in our home office.  

*sigh*  all we can do now is wait until next week....

@trystan

I hope all the best for you and your family and that it's just a scare and your hubby will be fine!

The Covid-19 infection numbers in Germany continue to go up. From the statements of various officials, the new infections are caused mainly within Germany via family celebrations, religious congregations, in certain work settings and also via people returning from holidays.

-------------------------

As of today, Thursday, August 6, 10:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 54 (+8.) active cases, while 348 (+-0) people have recovered. All in all there have been 414 (+8.) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 13.3.

Currently 7 (+1) persons are treated in hospitals, none of them in intensive care. 12 persons sadly died. 241 (+7) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 18 542 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen up to Thursday, August 6, 10:00 GMT+2, with 110 more scheduled to be done today.

2 hours ago, Astreya said:

@trystan

I hope all the best for you and your family and that it's just a scare and your hubby will be fine!

thanks Astreya.  i hope it's just a scare too. hug.gif.29986af5883981a926cdc6a85d9b8904.gif