trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

1 hour ago, Lagie said:

A couple of pages back is the Kansas counties graphs. That might also be useful (though it didn't come from Fox News :P ).

i'll take a look at those too.

edit: found it! thanks! :) 

1 hour ago, Lagie said:

Newd? Really?

is that like lickdown? XD 

Edited by trystan

3 hours ago, trystan said:

Is that like lickdown? XD 

Mebbe? XD

Somehow, I doubt our lockdown will be ending as scheduled. 47 new cases today, 40 on my island. We are last in the world in Covid-19 readiness as we don't have enough hospital beds. :(

(Though on the very small plus side, one person did go home from hospital.)

IMG-20200812-WA0007.thumb.jpg.009079126e76e85af9fc69f30a123bef.jpg

Yuck. The infection numbers in Germany are continually rising. It seems that a large number of the new infections are due to people returning from their vacations after all. Both Olympe and I are pretty much surrounded by areas that are approaching the numbers for a new regional lockdown (so far still orange, but red would be really bad):

map.png

Source: https://www.n-tv.de/infografik/Coronavirus-aktuelle-Zahlen-Daten-zur-Epidemie-in-Deutschland-Europa-und-der-Welt-article21604983.html

Edited by Astreya

Yesterday, Switzerland reported 274 new cases (biggest number in a while afaik), and the government decided to... lift the ban on events with more than 1000 people. Nice. :P  (Not.)

I understand they're still trying to find a compromise between too many restrictions and too many infections, and it's difficult, but I really hope everybody will be careful and remember that just because the restrictions are gone it doesn't mean the virus is gone.

@Ruby Eyes

Was it D'dorf? My memory is currently a bit molten due to the heat (30°C in my apartment under the roof).

@Confused Cat

The mayor of Düsseldorf (exactly below the orange blob of Duisburg) wants to pull through with a live concert with an audience of 13 000. Really clever, this...

And while I'm at it - the Oberhausen website was updated, and we have another marked increase of new infections.

--------------------------

As of today, Thursday, August 13, 09:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 66 (+10) active cases, while 363 (+-0) people have recovered. All in all there have been 441 (+10) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 11.8.

Currently 2 (+1) persons are treated in hospital, none of them in intensive care. 12 persons sadly died. 235 (+13) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 19 576 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

1 minute ago, Astreya said:

The mayor of Düsseldorf (exactly below the orange blob of Duisburg) wants to pull through with a live concert with an audience of 13 000. Really clever, this...

Yeah, he reminds me a bit of Trump and his election rallies ... that's really what this is, trying to bribe the voting folk since it's only 1 month until the mayor elections ...

*sigh* Politicians are so stupid. Or selfish. Or, most likely, both. *facepalm*

Even if all the necessary hygiene and distancing measures are fulfilled (and even over-fulfilled, as I've heard), an event with 13,000 people cannot be controlled.

• People will have to wait in line somewhere - be it at the entrance, the restrooms, the places selling food and drinks (if they're open, that is) and at the exits.
  • Someone needs to go to the bathroom NOW. Trust me, with 13 k people, this will happen. Sudden onset of diarrhea/the period, bladder suddenly full of good beer (or whatever), someone feeling sick...
    • Wait, what? How do you expect to keep restrooms (door handles, the button to flush the loo and so on) from spreading the dreaded virus? By keeping the loos closed? Have fun attending a concert in your adult diapers!
    • Keeping the restrooms closed will only lead to people sneaking out and doing their business in the bushes. Or behind waste bins. Without washing their hands.
    • Oh, you planned to have extra staff on hand disinfecting the whole cubicle after every use. Did you know that this takes a lot of time - time people will have to wait in line in addition to the normal waiting time?
  • A (potential) medical emergency happens: Someone faints and needs to be checked out ASAP. After all, it might be a heart attack. (Not bloody likely, but it needs to be checked out at once.) What now?
  • Stoopid sheeple meet outside the concert hall before or after the event.
  • Let's talk about parking lots. How can you ensure people don't run into each other there?
  • What if the worst happens, and the hall has to be evacuated?

No matter how well you plan, you cannot cover all eventualities. Not to mention that other groups will cite this as a precedent to push for their own interest. The Bundesliga (national soccer league) and their fans especially. And then there's the Bild newspaper (yellowest of yellow press, lowliest of trash among newspapers with way too many readers in all of Germany) pointing out how unfair it is to allow Düsseldorf to have a concert with 13,000 people, but not allow fans to enter the stadiums for soccer games. 

It's a recipe for disaster. Nothing more, nothing less.

so.  deaf ears.

that was my boss when i told her i "saw a graph that charted cases where people were wearing masks and they weren't..." and mentioned the graph Lagie pointed out back a few pages, and she just went about putting her stuff in the fridge.  i described the mask-wearing graphic Lagie posted back a page.  she still had no reaction.  i said "what's the worst that can happen? we end up wearing a piece of fabric over our faces?" still nothing.

but on the other hand, there was some fun convo on my facebook post.  it's a friends only post, so just on the rare off-chance she were to actually find my facebook (she won't,she hates technology) she wouldn't see me talking about her. XD

back here for the giggles~

Spoiler

Kathleen: (original comment) The mask don’t do anything for you except giving you breathing issues if you don’t have any. I’ll wear a mask but don’t ask my to cover my nose cause the answer is NO. These masks get me sneezing, coughing and I have issues breathing with them on. It’s so bad that walking up a flight of stairs is too much and I’ve never had issues with my breathing before the masks. · 

Replies back to Kathleen:

Me: I've never had any breathing issues wearing a mask. Maybe it's the type of mask you're wearing? is it a disposable mask? A fabric mask? One with a filter? Is it one of those neck gaiters that you pull up over your nose? Try a different type made of different materials. Covering your nose is important because the droplets can also be spread from your nose. Stay safe out there.

Kathleen: I’ve used all kinds and same issue. You stay safe as well

Sam: Kathleen - Sorry Karen

Kathleen: Sam - rude

Sam: Kathleen - yeah so is not wearing a mask. In addition it endangers others lives

*Kathleen is someone i worked with at my retail job.  she was a bit of a b*tch.  Sam is a random friend of a friend XD

Edited by trystan
formatting

1 minute ago, olympe said:

@trystan I like Sam. Succinctly sums it up with 3 words.

yep.  most of my feed is awesome like that.

26 minutes ago, olympe said:

People will have to wait in line somewhere

so funny story! at my retail job, we have the one queue line where you wait for the next cashier.  we used to have a sign at the beginning that said "enter here for registers" (that sign keeps falling over, so we don't have it right now *sigh*)  at the other end, where you'd wait for the cashier, that sign said "thank you for waiting" - some years ago, Corporate told us we had to take that sign down, because people would see the sign and *gasp* have to wait! i mean, i know the internet moves quickly when you shop online, but you still have to wait.  yeesh.  now.... we have the social distancing circles on the floor, down the queue line, and around the shelves in the direction we the line to go in.  people STILL DON'T SEE THE CIRCLES!  and every so often when i look up from my register (which is #1, and the waiting circle is all the way down by #5), sometimes the next person is right at register #2!  at least they're not right at the elbow of the person i'm still checking out - that used to happen too.

short version - wait in line?? what's that mean??

34 minutes ago, olympe said:

how unfair it is to allow Düsseldorf to have a concert with 13,000 people, but not allow fans to enter the stadiums for soccer games. 

Easiest solution - Armin Laschet should forbid any large event > 100 persons in NRW. Problem solved. (And he wants to collect points against Markus Söder, too. So what is he waiting for?)

2 minutes ago, Astreya said:

Easiest solution - Armin Laschet should forbid any large event > 100 persons in NRW. Problem solved. (And he wants to collect points against Markus Söder, too. So what is he waiting for?)

Support! (I hope this doesn't get warned, so a little more content...) It would really be the best course of action to forbid any mass gatherings over a certain number. Whether that's supposed to be 1000, 100 or 50 is something I'd like to not comment on. Just keep in mind that many secondary schools have more than 1000 students that still have breaks at the same time...

4 hours ago, olympe said:

Even if all the necessary hygiene and distancing measures are fulfilled (and even over-fulfilled, as I've heard), an event with 13,000 people cannot be controlled.

• People will have to wait in line somewhere - be it at the entrance, the restrooms, the places selling food and drinks (if they're open, that is) and at the exits.
  • Someone needs to go to the bathroom NOW. Trust me, with 13 k people, this will happen. Sudden onset of diarrhea/the period, bladder suddenly full of good beer (or whatever), someone feeling sick...
    • Wait, what? How do you expect to keep restrooms (door handles, the button to flush the loo and so on) from spreading the dreaded virus? By keeping the loos closed? Have fun attending a concert in your adult diapers!
    • Keeping the restrooms closed will only lead to people sneaking out and doing their business in the bushes. Or behind waste bins. Without washing their hands.
    • Oh, you planned to have extra staff on hand disinfecting the whole cubicle after every use. Did you know that this takes a lot of time - time people will have to wait in line in addition to the normal waiting time?
  • A (potential) medical emergency happens: Someone faints and needs to be checked out ASAP. After all, it might be a heart attack. (Not bloody likely, but it needs to be checked out at once.) What now?
  • Stoopid sheeple meet outside the concert hall before or after the event.
  • Let's talk about parking lots. How can you ensure people don't run into each other there?
  • What if the worst happens, and the hall has to be evacuated?

No matter how well you plan, you cannot cover all eventualities. Not to mention that other groups will cite this as a precedent to push for their own interest. The Bundesliga (national soccer league) and their fans especially. And then there's the Bild newspaper (yellowest of yellow press, lowliest of trash among newspapers with way too many readers in all of Germany) pointing out how unfair it is to allow Düsseldorf to have a concert with 13,000 people, but not allow fans to enter the stadiums for soccer games. 

It's a recipe for disaster. Nothing more, nothing less.

Well said!

So the funniest way I've seen a mask wearer wearing a mask so far is to hold it in their teeth with their nose uncovered.  Sad.  Sigh...  Why don't people get it?  

@olympe

You've got a point about schools - but on the other hand, a school is no "event", and AFAIK they work on separating the break times so that only certain groups of school children have their breaks at the same times.

34 minutes ago, Astreya said:

@olympe

You've got a point about schools - but on the other hand, a school is no "event", and AFAIK they work on separating the break times so that only certain groups of school children have their breaks at the same times.

While that idea is great in theory, it doesn't work easily for our schools. Because our breaks aren't a whole period, and school start is already staggered in an attempt to prevent buses from getting overcrowded during school rush hour, things are getting quite testy. Not to mention that, even if breaks are staggered into two parts (one for 50% of the students each), you'll still have 500+ students on break at the same time. Then there's those kids that have to rely on public transportation for getting to and from school.

My personal opinion is to offer online learning or learning at home (with reading materials and exercises to work through) for as many lessons as possible as well as offer children to take time off school until the end of February (since school hasn't really been in business since April) and restart one school year lower. Yes, it's awful to lose a year, but it's less awful than losing a couple of kids to a stupid virus.

6 hours ago, olympe said:

I've always said that the most intelligent people know not to go into politics as a career. So I'd go with they're stupid, but I'm sure selfish is also accurate.

@olympe

The big problem with online learning are those kids from "bildungsfernen Haushalten" (that is, families where the parents are not really interested in the education of their kids). These will likely be completely left behind. One would have to find a way to give at lease these the chance for "Präsenzunterricht" (that is, the kids being educated by teachers in the school).

53 more cases in the Bahamas, 51 of those on my island. *sigh* It's not getting any better, it seems, even with the full lockdown. I know (third party) of a family where everyone isn't feeling well, adults and children, yet they haven't been tested. Heaven knows how many people they're infecting if it's Covid. :( (They're in one of those neighbourhoods where people don't really follow the rules.)

IMG-20200813-WA0008.thumb.jpg.096e083a38d8ad1a1f8625521de56470.jpg

Yeah, whether to learn online, in-person, or take a year off is very difficult to generalize across all students. There's too many factors involved. An option that works amazing for one student is completely screwing over another student. Really, everyone should have all three of those options; and others, too, like hybrid format. The high school my siblings go to are giving them the option to either go online, go in-person, or hybrid, which I'm very glad they're doing. And of course anyone who wants to take the year off will.

my daughter (college sophomore) has made the decision - as much as it pains her to do this - to stay home for the fall semester and do all her classes online - even the one that was meeting in person.  her and roommate were grappling with this, and her roommate decided first (i believe), and if my daughter went 6 hours across the state to school, she'd have a random person as a roommate, and she didn't want to do that, either.

7 hours ago, Classycal said:

So the funniest way I've seen a mask wearer wearing a mask so far is to hold it in their teeth with their nose uncovered.  Sad.  Sigh...  Why don't people get it?  

uhm.... what?

12 hours ago, Astreya said:

@olympe

The big problem with online learning are those kids from "bildungsfernen Haushalten" (that is, families where the parents are not really interested in the education of their kids). These will likely be completely left behind. One would have to find a way to give at lease these the chance for "Präsenzunterricht" (that is, the kids being educated by teachers in the school).

That's why I wanted to offer those alternatives, not make them mandatory. Whatever keeps a number of students out of schools is a good thing in my book, as long as they won't suffer more than the loss of a year as a consequence.

ETA: In a neighboring town (I think it was Remscheid), a teacher got tested for covid before school started back up - for some reason, the there were taken two samples (or the same sample tested twice? Dunno). She got a call from her doctor's office telling her her test was negative, and she went to school. During her first period, she got another call from her doctor's office stating that the second test came back positive. So, one full class is in quarantine now.

Edited by olympe

17 hours ago, olympe said:

ETA: In a neighboring town (I think it was Remscheid), a teacher got tested for covid before school started back up - for some reason, the there were taken two samples (or the same sample tested twice? Dunno). She got a call from her doctor's office telling her her test was negative, and she went to school. During her first period, she got another call from her doctor's office stating that the second test came back positive. So, one full class is in quarantine now.

:o

At least one private school here is going fully online for the upcoming school year.

30 additional cases today, 24 on my island, and two more deaths. :(

Screenshot_20200814-211238.thumb.jpg.8202f2b6c3936541878516af49e70613.jpg

@Lagie

This really doesn't sound well. Try to stay safe!

I'm still stuck in the European heatwave - the humidity is really high here, so my brain feels like gently cooked.

------------------

As of today, Friday, August 14, 09:30 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 66 (+-0) active cases, while 367 (+4) people have recovered. All in all there have been 445 (+4) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 13.7.

Currently 2 (+-0) persons are treated in hospital, none of them in intensive care. 12 persons sadly died. 237 (+2) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 19 760 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

------------------

As of today, Saturday, August 15, 11:30 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 55 (-11) active cases, while 383 (+16) people have recovered. All in all there have been 450 (+5) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 13.7.

Currently 2 (+-0) persons are treated in hospital, none of them in intensive care. 12 persons sadly died. 193 (-44) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 19 842 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

Edited by Astreya

23 hours ago, Astreya said:

@Lagie

This really doesn't sound well. Try to stay safe!

I'm still stuck in the European heatwave - the humidity is really high here, so my brain feels like gently cooked.

*sends ice*

I'll try, Astreya, but someone must have been really busy processing tests today as we have a whopping 133 new cases today, 102 of them on my island, and another of our Out Islands has its first case. :(

IMG-20200815-WA0009.thumb.jpg.b913e54a3fc107a15032cfdfa8a68b62.jpg

I wish I could visually share something I found on Facebook today but the language in the post is not forum-friendly. I had no clue, though I shouldn't be surprised, that there are Americans who believe the virus will go away after the election. *headdesks*