trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

Posted (edited)

@Lagie

This really doesn't sound well. Try to stay safe!

I'm still stuck in the European heatwave - the humidity is really high here, so my brain feels like gently cooked.

------------------

As of today, Friday, August 14, 09:30 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 66 (+-0) active cases, while 367 (+4) people have recovered. All in all there have been 445 (+4) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 13.7.

Currently 2 (+-0) persons are treated in hospital, none of them in intensive care. 12 persons sadly died. 237 (+2) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 19 760 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

------------------

As of today, Saturday, August 15, 11:30 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 55 (-11) active cases, while 383 (+16) people have recovered. All in all there have been 450 (+5) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 13.7.

Currently 2 (+-0) persons are treated in hospital, none of them in intensive care. 12 persons sadly died. 193 (-44) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 19 842 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

Edited by Astreya

23 hours ago, Astreya said:

@Lagie

This really doesn't sound well. Try to stay safe!

I'm still stuck in the European heatwave - the humidity is really high here, so my brain feels like gently cooked.

*sends ice*

I'll try, Astreya, but someone must have been really busy processing tests today as we have a whopping 133 new cases today, 102 of them on my island, and another of our Out Islands has its first case. :(

IMG-20200815-WA0009.thumb.jpg.b913e54a3fc107a15032cfdfa8a68b62.jpg

I wish I could visually share something I found on Facebook today but the language in the post is not forum-friendly. I had no clue, though I shouldn't be surprised, that there are Americans who believe the virus will go away after the election. *headdesks*

10 minutes ago, Lagie said:

I wish I could visually share something I found on Facebook today but the language in the post is not forum-friendly. I had no clue, though I shouldn't be surprised, that there are Americans who believe the virus will go away after the election. *headdesks*

oh yeah, it's all a Dem hoax to make trump look bad. *sigh*

I was tested on Friday because I've had a sore throat for a while, and today I am glad to say I'm COVID-free! :D Just a cold, then.

@Lagie

Thanks, ice is very appreciated! And you definitely continue to stay safe in your place!

@Aie

That's great to hear!

----------------------

As of today, Sunday, August 16, 12:30 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 58 (+3) active cases, while 383 (+-0) people have recovered. All in all there have been 453 (+3) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 14.7 (according to n-tv).

Currently 3 (+1) persons are treated in hospital, none of them in intensive care. 12 persons sadly died. 198 (+5) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 19 842 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

As you can see, the orange areas (if the colour turns red, it means a new lockdown is due) are pretty close to the DC people from NRW here. There is no green (no or very few Covid-19 cases) anymore in our state, and the light grey more and more makes place for dark grey (which then would turn orange).

map.png

1 hour ago, Astreya said:

@Lagie

Thanks, ice is very appreciated! And you definitely continue to stay safe in your place!

Thanks! I shall try to! Back to work tomorrow, masked.

And... another 63 cases, 45 on my island, and one additional death. :(

IMG-20200816-WA0009.thumb.jpg.207cb6c08e05a52795e958a6d3c501cc.jpg

Posted (edited)

@Lagie

I really hope they will get the things under control soon at your place! 

Here the Anti-Covid-19 measures are being tightened - e.g. in NRW you now can get fined 150 Euros if you are caught either wearing no mask or wearing your mask not correctly without getting warned first.

By the way, I found this overview interesting:

Spoiler

tests.png

It shows the trend that after the decrease following the Covid-19 peak in the 14th week of 2020, the percentage of positive tests in Germany is rising again. Other than certain people claim, the number of Covid-19 cases doesn't rise due to the number of tests. The real measure here is always the percentage of positives as it shows how well you are able to put a lid onto the infections.

Edited by Astreya

1 hour ago, Astreya said:

@Lagie

I really hope they will get the things under control soon at your place! 

Here the Anti-Covid-19 measures are being tightened - e.g. in NRW you now can get fined 150 Euros if you are caught either wearing no mask or wearing your mask not correctly without getting warned first.

Me, too!

Here, it's a $200 fine for being without a mask, but I've yet to see any police checking people for that. The number is people with their mask below their nose is really quite ridiculous.

14 minutes ago, Lagie said:

The number is people with their mask below their nose is really quite ridiculous.

oh i believe you there! i see it every day that i'm at my retail job! gah.

Posted (edited)

Today gladly there was no movement within the numbers (other than the amount of tests). I just hope this was not due to the fact that they were lazy on Sunday and forget the reports. ^^

On Saturday one kindergarten kid was tested positive when s/he was brought into the hospital for something else (the kid had no Covid-19 symptoms they  wrote) and immediately 13 kindergarten teachers and kids were also tested right on the Sunday (and the EKO lab worked high speed to get the tests results on the same day), but luckily all of their results were negative (for now).

The city now offers free Covid-19 tests for all teachers, kindergarten teachers and other employees of schools, kindergartens and nurseries up to the autumn vacations. 

------------------

As of today, Monday, August 17, 10:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 58 (+-0) active cases, while 383 (+-0) people have recovered. All in all there have been 453 (+-0) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 13.7.

Currently 3 (+-0) persons are treated in hospital, none of them in intensive care. 12 persons sadly died. 198 (+-0) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 19 951 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Edited by Astreya

Posted (edited)

Well, one school in my hometown got closed down for now because 45 teachers from there have to be quarantined because one of their colleages (whom they all have had contact with) got tested positive. Coincidentally, it's the school my brother used to attend (Geschwister-Scholl-Gesamtschule). Right now, the schools was/is closed for today and tomorrow.

https://www.gesamtschule-ohligs.de/aktuelles/314-eilt-regelungen-zu-corona-bis-dienstag.html For anyone interested who either speaks German or uses google translate. ;)

Edited by olympe

Well, we saw this coming, and the rumours were true. There are now three levels of Covid response.

Level 1 = minimal risk. Those islands may function as usual with masks and social distancing. They have had no Covid cases to date.

Level 2 = high risk. Those islands will continue on the current lockdown for seven more days (at least). They have had varying numbers of Covid cases.

Level 3 = critical risk. Only one island - with 14 new cases today, and 731 of 1,329 overall - falls in this category, and of course it's mine. As of right now, we are in FULL lockdown for seven days. No nothing unless you are pre-approved to go to work (my shelter, hotel, govt workers). Nothing is open except medical facilities. The police will be stopping ALL vehicles, and if you did not preclear to be on the roads, you will be fined.

I managed to get to a food store today (an hour in line to get in, thirty minutes to shop), thank goodness, and I will stay home. There are other staff able to feed my shop animals.

IMG-20200817-WA0008.thumb.jpg.0ff7ab7c0121954564fa1ef30a517181.jpg

Me in the food store lineup:

Screenshot_20200817-204841.thumb.jpg.4c7a07d2ac6c4fdac2b179b8fb08a35d.jpg

wow Lagie! stay safe!

as i said, this dang country needs a federal/national mask mandate, and for people not to be stupid about it. *sigh*

20 minutes ago, trystan said:

wow Lagie! stay safe!

as i said, this dang country needs a federal/national mask mandate, and for people not to be stupid about it. *sigh*

Will do! The work chat is bubbling with concern about water (the 1.5 5 gallon bottles there will not last for 7 days) and food (nowhere to shop or to buy lunch) and gas (for private cars and the shelter ambulance which transports staff with no car). Nothing will be open. Nothing.

5 minutes ago, Lagie said:

The work chat is bubbling with concern about water (the 1.5 5 gallon bottles there will not last for 7 days) and food (nowhere to shop or to buy lunch) and gas (for private cars and the shelter ambulance which transports staff with no car). Nothing will be open. Nothing.

oof, that is concerning.

Posted (edited)

@Lagie

Gosh, that sound extremely hard. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that you will be able to weather this storm as well as possible!

------------------

Today one lower grade (Unterstufe, 5th-7th form) student in a comprehensive school was tested positive in Oberhausen. Unfortunately that student refused to wear his face mask properly despite being told off by the teachers repeatedly, and thus the whole class and two teachers had to be quarantined as of today. The above mentioned student even had to be admitted to the hospital. (Sounds as if school kids don't always have no or just minute symptoms...)

Additionally, there was one teacher of a primary school who was tested positive for Covid-19. The whole teaching staff and her class are told to quarantine, and the school has to be closed down completely. 5 teachers and 106 pupils are affected. I guess the above two events will show in the numbers of quarantined people only tomorrow as the cut off for the numbers was 12:00 today and they are still working on contacting everybody.

------------------

As of today, Tuesday, August 18, 12:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 49 (-9) active cases, while 395 (+12) people have recovered. All in all there have been 456 (+3) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 11.8.

Currently 4 (+1) persons are treated in hospital, none of them in intensive care. 12 persons sadly died. 160 (-38) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 20 256 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Edited by Astreya

9 hours ago, Astreya said:

@Lagie

Gosh, that sound extremely hard. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that you will be able to weather this storm as well as possible!

------------------

Today one lower grade (Unterstufe, 5th-7th form) student in a comprehensive school was tested positive in Oberhausen. Unfortunately that student refused to wear his face mask properly despite being told off by the teachers repeatedly, and thus the whole class and two teachers had to be quarantined as of today. The above mentioned student even had to be admitted to the hospital. (Sounds as if school kids don't always have no or just minute symptoms...)

Additionally, there was one teacher of a primary school who was tested positive for Covid-19. The whole teaching staff and her class are told to quarantine, and the school has to be closed down completely. 5 teachers and 106 pupils are affected. I guess the above two events will show in the numbers of quarantined people only tomorrow as the cut off for the numbers was 12:00 today and they are still working on contacting everybody.

Thanks, Astreya! (As for the inadvertent pun - there is a possible hurricane brewing out there so there may be a literal storm to deal with in about a week's time!)

That's not good, about the schools. My sister-in-law is a teacher in (I always forget the name, starts with an O, near Frankfurt am Main). I hope she and her kids will be okay. My brother went to Berlin for medical stuff and stayed there with his mom so he wouldn't catch anything from them. :(

2 minutes ago, Lagie said:

(I always forget the name, starts with an O, near Frankfurt am Main)

Could be Offenbach

@Lagie

Oh dear, a real storm brewing too? You are really hit by the fates at the moment! Please stay safe from that, too!

And I hope your relatives will give this drat virus a wide berth, too!

And I wanted to suggest "Offenbach", too, but as usual I got ninja'd. I'm just not fast enough, it seems -_-'

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Could be Offenbach

5 minutes ago, Astreya said:

@Lagie

Oh dear, a real storm brewing too? You are really hit by the fates at the moment! Please stay safe from that, too!

And I hope your relatives will give this drat virus a wide berth, too!

And I wanted to suggest "Offenbach", too, but as usual I got ninja'd. I'm just not fast enough, it seems -_-'

Found it and you were both right! Offenbach!

Screenshot_20200817-215022.thumb.jpg.b173ea190bfa5a661ff3f09ff26afc00.jpg

The red is headed straight for us at the moment. *sighs*

Apparently the main road in the south part of the island was full of vehicles this morning. For some weird reason, construction has been allowed to continue, though there's nowhere to buy supplies or gas for vehicles. And, of the staff that drove to work, not one was stopped by police. These lockdowns never seem to be well-coordinated.

Edited by Lagie
Spacing

@Lagie

This looks really threatening! I hope the storm will either go off course of get weaker on its course - but with the current ocean temperatures it is probably unlikely :(

By the way, these super spreaders that run around are a real threat, too. There was one guy who returned from a vacation recently and he even made a Covid-19 test on return. Unfortunately he didn't wait until he got his result and when he was informed he was positive, he already was to a birthday party with 100 people, of which 25 were by now confirmed infected (all are currently quarantined).

Well, our lockdown has been lifted so people can prepare for the storm. It's refreshing to hear a politician admit to making a mistake. I'm sure the food stores lines will be insane tomorrow so I am glad I went yesterday. I am ready for the storm, too, I think.

On the Covid side...

95 new cases today, 90 on my island. :(

(And for a comparison, countrywide:

June 10th - 103 cases

July 10th - 108 cases

August 10th - 945 cases)

And now we're at 1424 total cases.

IMG-20200818-WA0010.thumb.jpg.2ada47fdb13b5289a0962aabf1f542c3.jpg

1 minute ago, Lagie said:

Well, our lockdown has been lifted so people can prepare for the storm. It's refreshing to hear a politician admit to making a mistake.

well that's good, and yes that's refreshing.... but stay safe in the storm!

my county - i haven't looked in a while....

Total Confirmed Cases: 7,019

Recoveries: 6,220

Deaths: 517

(https://covid19-bucksgis.hub.arcgis.com/)

my municipality currently has between 1-10 cases

(https://bucksgis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Media/index.html?appid=89e673a583fc4f44a8139205346a0ab6)

40 new cases for the county reported for Aug 17 (yesterday for me)

(https://bucksgis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/a7e4f8a794a34bb5903813cdea584edb)

@Lagie

Just stay safe!  *fingers crossed*

-------------------

As of today, Wednesday, August 19, 10:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 50 (+1) active cases, while 399 (+4) people have recovered. All in all there have been 461 (+5) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 9.5.

Currently 2 (-2) persons are treated in hospital, none of them in intensive care. 12 persons sadly died. 182 (+22) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 20 365 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.