trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

Today one more person in Oberhausen died from/with Covid-19. The casualty was a 48 year old man with an underlying condition.

---------------------

As of today, Thursday, August 27, 08:30 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 26 (+-0) active cases, while 447 (+2) people have recovered. All in all there have been 486 (+3) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 8.5.

Currently 2 (-2) persons are treated in hospital, none of them in intensive care. 13 (+1) persons sadly died. 201 (-30) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 24 954 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

Sorry to hear that, @Astreya. :(

110 new cases yesterday, 97 on my island (and our deaths are way more than yours now :( . We were both at 11 for so long!).

Screenshot_20200827-075617.thumb.jpg.2420dc559e9a815b2d464d14a9b0b0cb.jpg

Edited by Lagie

@Lagie

It's really sad that so many people had to die from this drat virus.

In Germany, there was a conference between the Ministerpräsidenten (=Prime Ministers) of the 16 Länder (=states) and the chancellor, and they decided to continue with the various Covid rules - no mass events, stricter measures to collect the fines if masks aren't worn, stronger advise not to travel to risk areas (and no support money if the people are quarantined after having been to a risk area needlessly) etc.

We'll see whether these measures will work and get down the numbers again.

3 hours ago, Astreya said:

@Lagie

It's really sad that so many people had to die from this drat virus.

Very sad, all over the world. :(

I hope your Covid rules help!

One of my coworkers has been tested, is awaiting results. Thankfully, I hadn't seen her face-to-face since before my vacation (a.k.a. more than 14 days ago) but if it comes back positive, we will probably all need to be tested, and Heaven help the poor animals if we have to close down for deep cleaning, sanitation and quarantine. I think there are staff members who would quarantine at the shelter by choice to ensure the animals are cared for (as some do for hurricanes), but it would be better to not have to do so.

Our PM is speaking at 3 tomorrow, which is not encouraging. I think if things had been going well he would have waited longer. We'll see.

@Lagie

I really hope things at your place won't be as bad as you fear! *keeps fingers crossed*

And it's to hope thatthe new measures here will work. People are getting more and more careless.

---------------------

As of today, Friday, August 28, 08:30 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 26 (+-0) active cases, while 451 (+4) people have recovered. All in all there have been 490 (+4) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 10.4.

Currently 1 (-1) person is treated in hospital, none in intensive care. 13 persons sadly died. 188 (-13) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 25 340 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

Edited by Astreya

Thanks, @Astreya! *also crosses fingers* (Daumen drücken!)

Indeed. Careless, with masks on their chins...

Yesterday's 97 new cases, 82 on my island, oddly enough take our case total to 2020. :blink: And two more deaths, sadly. :(

IMG-20200828-WA0003.thumb.jpg.8e31c54e7b70fb3b2775389169b6625b.jpg

why am i not surprised?

Four people involved with the Republican National Convention meeting in Charlotte, North Carolina, tested positive for Covid-19, county officials said, serving as a reminder that large GOP events that have largely eschewed safety measures could contribute to the spread of coronavirus.

Two attendees and two individuals "supporting the event" tested positive, according to an official release from Mecklenburg County, where Charlotte is located.

A spokesman for the party said the individuals tested positive upon arriving at the convention and were immediately sent home. In all, 792 Covid-19 tests were given to people who attended or provided support to the convention in Charlotte, the county said.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/28/politics/charlotte-republican-convention-coronavirus/index.html

1 hour ago, trystan said:

why am i not surprised?

Four people involved with the Republican National Convention meeting in Charlotte, North Carolina, tested positive for Covid-19, county officials said, serving as a reminder that large GOP events that have largely eschewed safety measures could contribute to the spread of coronavirus.

Two attendees and two individuals "supporting the event" tested positive, according to an official release from Mecklenburg County, where Charlotte is located.

A spokesman for the party said the individuals tested positive upon arriving at the convention and were immediately sent home. In all, 792 Covid-19 tests were given to people who attended or provided support to the convention in Charlotte, the county said.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/28/politics/charlotte-republican-convention-coronavirus/index.html

Well, I am. You have a county named Mecklenburg? :D No idea where that name might come from. ;) (Hint: One of the German states is called Mecklenburg-Vorpommern in German - that's Mecklenburg-West Pomerania in English.)

3 hours ago, olympe said:

Well, I am. You have a county named Mecklenburg? :D No idea where that name might come from. ;) (Hint: One of the German states is called Mecklenburg-Vorpommern in German - that's Mecklenburg-West Pomerania in English.)

actually, that doesn't surprise me either.  i'm in Pennsylvania, our county and place names have lots of different origins, even German probably out in Amish country :) 

Yup. Lots of German names all over (she says from Nassau! XD )

Coworker tested positive...

We're not quite sure what happens next. I am sure I understood that we have to report it to the Covid task force while our nominally-in-charge accountant because our shelter manager is on vacation thinks they're supposed to contact us. The interior of our main building is being deep-cleaned tomorrow.

32 new cases today, all on my island.

IMG-20200828-WA0008.thumb.jpg.e4e9123f6547b170705b13d0047bfa67.jpg

Edited by Lagie
Updating

Turns out if we do get a vaccine before Nov. 3 a lot of people aren't going to trust it. Duh! I have said all along that I would not.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/covid-19-vaccine-hesitancy-is-a-growing-concern-for-researchers-health-officials/ar-BB18slcJ?li=BBnb7Kz

Scientists and drugmakers are beginning efforts to overcome Americans’ safety and other concerns about Covid-19 vaccines, while U.S. health authorities ready a campaign to encourage widespread uptake.

As vaccine candidates advance closer to U.S. authorization, health and industry officials want to make sure as many people as possible get vaccinated to reach the level, known as herd immunity, that would protect even people who aren’t immunized.

Yet large percentages of Americans, including those at high risk of contracting the virus, are reluctant, skeptical or opposed to taking a vaccine, according to surveys and researchers. Among the reasons: concerns about safety because of the quick development pace and government overreach.

Among those opposed include small but vocal numbers of people who are opposed to all vaccines, which they say are unsafe despite research proving otherwise.

And some Americans, including many who might otherwise support vaccination, express worry the Trump administration will greenlight a vaccine ahead of the November election for political purposes, before the shot is proven to work safely.

@Lagie

That sounds worrisome! I hope you'll manage to sort out things in the best way possible!

@purplehaze

I'd have big problems to use a mostly untested vaccine myself, particularly as it would obviously be rushed through just for Mr.Trump's ego and re-election chances.

---------------------

As of today, Saturday, August 29, 10:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 26 (+-0) active cases, while 456 (+5) people have recovered. All in all there have been 495 (+5) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 12.3.

Currently 1 (+-0) person is treated in hospital, none in intensive care. 13 persons sadly died. 165 (-23) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 25 558 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Edited by Astreya

7 minutes ago, Astreya said:

@purplehaze

I'd have big problems to use a mostly untested vaccine myself, particularly as it would obviously be rushed through just for Mr.Trump's ego and re-election chances.

And the problem is that the public health authorities seem to be bowing to pressure from Trump, which means that they are not trustworthy. Both the FDA and the CDC have altered recommendations after Trump objected to what they were saying. I still pretty much trust Dr. Fauci, but he has been pushed to the margins at best.

12 minutes ago, Astreya said:

oh i would too!

1 minute ago, purplehaze said:

And the problem is that the public health authorities seem to be bowing to pressure from Trump, which means that they are not trustworthy. Both the FDA and the CDC have altered recommendations after Trump objected to what they were saying. I still pretty much trust Dr. Fauci, but he has been pushed to the margins at best.

i completely agree with this.  i miss Dr. Fauci too.

i even re-thought me getting a flu shot this year, for this first time in .... ever.  the Doctor wants to see me in november, i think i might also get a flu shot then.

3 hours ago, Astreya said:

@Lagie

That sounds worrisome! I hope you'll manage to sort out things in the best way possible!

Me, too

78 new cases today, 63 on my island, and sadly three additional deaths. :(

IMG-20200829-WA0010.thumb.jpg.f0e70c2d346228494d3ad0da8ab51551.jpg

@Lagie

Drat. Things appear to be pretty dire in your place! Please stay safe!

---------------------

As of today, Sunday, August 30, 10:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 31 (+5) active cases, while 458 (+2) people have recovered. All in all there have been 502 (+7) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 15.6.

Currently 1 (+-0) person is treated in hospital, none in intensive care. 13 persons sadly died. 148 (-17) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 25 558 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

23 hours ago, Astreya said:

@purplehaze

Same. And I'm pro-vaccines in general. But even I know that a rushjob - especially with something as complicated as vaccines - is not a good job. Plus, in the case of the US, this timing would be beyond suspicious.

@Lagie I really wish you all the best. Stay safe!

Plus, it might give people a false idea of safety, and some might just stop with the proper precuations altogether ...

Here are two interesting articles about a Covid vaccine and the rushing of it:

- Covid vaccine rush could make pandemic worse, say scientists:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/aug/30/covid-vaccine-rush-could-make-pandemic-worse-say-scientists

- How the race for a Covid-19 vaccine is getting dirty

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/aug/30/how-the-race-for-a-covid-19-vaccine-got-dirty

32 new cases yesterday, 27 on my island, and sadly three more deaths :( (though they're 'under investigation', as in not yet confirmed to be directly Covid-related). First case on Long Island, too. It is affecting more and more of our islands.

@Astreya, we have basically double your population (400,000) yet have so many more cases. :(

IMG-20200831-WA0000.thumb.jpg.12099fe9883e94042ce4bdc1b7f79a5d.jpg

Edited by Lagie

@Lagie

IIRC you started out with much fewer cases and casualties. It's a real pity that you didn't manage to keep the numbers down, particularly as you have so many islands that should be much easier to control.

On Monday the numbers seem to have been identical with Sunday, hence the city of Oberhausen didn't seem to bother updating their website yesterday.

---------------------

As of today, Tuesday, September 1, 09:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 32 (+1) active cases, while 461 (+3) people have recovered. All in all there have been 506 (+4) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 10.9.

Currently 1 (+-0) person is treated in hospital, none in intensive care. 13 persons sadly died. 151 (+3) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 25 916 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

4 hours ago, Astreya said:

@Lagie

IIRC you started out with much fewer cases and casualties. It's a real pity that you didn't manage to keep the numbers down, particularly as you have so many islands that should be much easier to control.

You would think so, right? But 4500 people traveled to Florida to shop and party when the borders reopened July 1st and brought it back with them and have since been spreading it through inter-island travel (adding yet another island to the list yesterday). Bahamians are not taking this seriously at all. The PM observed construction workers at one worksite here - the Chinese workers all had their masks on, the Bahamians did not. No wonder we're making no progress.

(And yes, our first wave was significantly smaller and quickly contained.)

50 new cases yesterday, 33 on my island, and one additional death. :(

Screenshot_20200901-080350.thumb.jpg.b49fbd03958429eb049002e306b1922c.jpg

Edited by Lagie

"Location Pending" is an interesting name for an island - wonder what's the history of that one XD

12 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

"Location Pending" is an interesting name for an island - wonder what's the history of that one XD

Weird, I know. I think it's to do with the direction they were travelling when they were diagnosed. The first two Inagua cases were included in New Providence's numbers as they were en route from Florida to Inagua but had not yet reached their island. The other Inagua cases were actually identified on that island which is more worrisome, islandwise, as there's then more chance for community transmission.

ETA: 59 new cases today, 49 of those on my island, and two more deaths. :(

(A lot of Bahamians have comorbities.)

IMG-20200901-WA0006.thumb.jpg.28082a4641d5d0476dbcb0765d4116ed.jpg

Edited by Lagie
Adding the update

@Lagie

I just hope you and your loved ones will stay safe and sound!

In Oberhausen, we just had a fresh case in a children's day care facility where one child care worker was tested positive, and now her co-workers and her kids group and the kids' parents need to be quarantined.

---------------------

As of today, Wednesday, September 2, 14:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 32 (+-0) active cases, while 464 (+3) people have recovered. All in all there have been 509 (+3) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 10.9.

Currently no person needs to be treated in a hospital. 13 persons sadly died. 160 (+9) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 26 044 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.