trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

We were supposed to get a new co-worker (not permanent, just for a project).

Turns out his girlfriend is nursery school teacher and there's been corona cases in her facility. So she's getting tested and he's getting tested - and he already has a sore throat.

Good that they're ~80km south from here ...

(But I do need help with that project ...)

I would like to spell out what I think of Mr.Trump here, but unfortunately this would not only violate the forum rules but likely go against several other laws, too:

US refuses to join international effort to develop Covid-19 vaccine

The US government has said that it will not participate in a global initiative to develop, manufacture and equitably distribute a vaccine for Covid-19 because the effort is co-led by the World Health Organization.

The Covid-19 Vaccines Global Access Facility (Covax) is a plan developed by the WHO, along with the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations and Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance, and is meant to accelerate the development and testing of a vaccine and work toward distributing it equally. The WHO announced last month that more than 170 countries were in talks to participate in Covax.

Asked to confirm a report in the Washington Post that the US will not be joining Covax, a White House spokesman, Judd Deere, said in a statement: “Under President Trump’s leadership, vaccine and therapeutic research, development, and trials have advanced at unprecedented speed to deliver groundbreaking, effective medicines driven by data and safety and not held back by government red tape.

“The United States will continue to engage our international partners to ensure we defeat this virus, but we will not be constrained by multilateral organizations influenced by the corrupt World Health Organization and China.”

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/01/us-covid-19-vaccine-refuses-international-effort-coronavirus

Not held back by red tape, but rather propelled forward with ridiculous speed at gunpoint, eh?

37 minutes ago, Astreya said:

Asked to confirm a report in the Washington Post that the US will not be joining Covax, a White House spokesman, Judd Deere, said in a statement: “Under President Trump’s leadership, vaccine and therapeutic research, development, and trials have advanced at unprecedented speed to deliver groundbreaking, effective medicines driven by data and safety and not held back by government red tape.

1. leadership? bwahahaha!!

2. i'm all for vaccines, but i'm not sure how effective and safe this one is going to be...

3. i can has new president now?

I thought Location Pending was literally that - that they didn't know where it was yet.  Lol

And, argghh... for the US not participating in Covax.  Stupid.  

Yep. Just my opinion.

It's all part of Trump's separationist policies. No cooperation. Strictly competition. I'm sick of this/him/his administration/his yaysayers. 

We had our first day of taking temperatures at the shop, with a passive-read thermometer thing. Point and click. But, according to some, it's going to mess with their brains or make them stupid, so they refuse to allow the forehead to be read, opting for the wrist. As my volunteer with the thingie said, "I don't think it could make them any more stupid." These are the same Covidiots who will refuse a vaccine when it comes out because Bill Gates will be using it to make black people sterile. They read it on Facebook so it has to be true, right? :rolleyes:

Then there was the staff member mopping inside the shelter this morning without her mask and when I asked her where it was said, "in the car." It's the LAW here you have to be masked so I reminded her of that and, to her credit, the next time I saw her she had it on and on properly. Unlike a different staff member who was wearing his cowl-around-the-neck-monstrosity in lieu of a mask but had to be told at least three times it had to cover his nose and mouth. I suggested to the accountant we start docking pay for staff improperly covered, since if the police show up, it will cost them $200 and the shelter at least $500.

So given all that, is it any surprise we have an additional 61 cases, 49 on my island, and one additonal death. :(

IMG-20200902-WA0010.thumb.jpg.342b6271dde92e125b199a4ff42603ff.jpg

Did you know...? People who are overweight are 48% more likely to die from Covid-19?

Did you know...? The Bahamas is the sixth-most obese country in the world? Highest in the Caribbean. Is it any wonder our death toll is so high?

@Lagie

The stupidity of some people really has no bounds!  They really don't need the thermometer XD

As for obesity - Germany has quite a percentage of obese people, too (here's the data for the EU in 2014):

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php?title=File:Share_of_overweight_population_by_sex_and_age,_2014.png

---------------------

As of today, Thursday, September 3, 09:30 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 40 (+8.) active cases, while 466 (+2) people have recovered. All in all there have been 519 (+10) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 13.7.

Currently no person needs to be treated in a hospital. 13 persons sadly died. 159 (-1) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 26 097 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

Edited by Astreya

9 hours ago, Lagie said:

We had our first day of taking temperatures at the shop, with a passive-read thermometer thing. Point and click. But, according to some, it's going to mess with their brains or make them stupid, so they refuse to allow the forehead to be read, opting for the wrist. As my volunteer with the thingie said, "I don't think it could make them any more stupid."

Put a sign at the entrance: "Temperature is going to be assumed TOO HIGH until proven otherwise. Get your reading to provide proof or stay out."

(That's like the opposite take on the old "innocent until proven guilty")

17 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Put a sign at the entrance: "Temperature is going to be assumed TOO HIGH until proven otherwise. Get your reading to provide proof or stay out."

(That's like the opposite take on the old "innocent until proven guilty")

Signage is based on the premise that people read. XD I have most of mine as fallback to refer to because I have learned most of my customers don't. 

There were also a few trying to tell us we need to just let everyone in and stop making people wait. Clearly those ones don't realize we're still under emergency orders and we're limited to one person per 30 square feet, including staff, so three at a time is kind of pushing the envelope of our space limits.

ETA:Today's Covidiots were a couple with one mask between them. When he was done in the shop, he gave it to her so she could come in. :rolleyes:

49 new cases today, 28 of them on my island, and one additional death. :(

IMG-20200903-WA0007.thumb.jpg.940aa493e58ff22c4039161dfd9aa88b.jpg

Edited by Lagie
Updating

As of today, Friday, September 4, 09:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 37 (-3) active cases, while 470 (+4) people have recovered. All in all there have been 520 (+1) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 11.8.

Currently no person needs to be treated in a hospital. 13 persons sadly died. 163 (+4) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 28.132 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

On 8/28/2020 at 8:45 PM, Lagie said:

Coworker tested positive...

Sonia died yesterday. :(

90 new cases yesterday, 63 on my island, and five additional deaths. :(

Screenshot_20200905-103025.thumb.jpg.d3626f1a9c6d373c366d5c623285f6a2.jpg

Edited by Lagie

So sorry about your coworker @Lagie:(

Switzerland is now up to around 400 new cases per day. They say it's not a second wave and the reproduction number is below 1, and I think they are testing more than before (only 3% of tests were positive), so maybe it's not as bad as it looks, but... I'd still prefer the numbers to go down instead of up! :unsure:

@Lagie

That's horrible! This wasn't much more than a week since she was tested! I hope this makes the other people in the vicinity of your workplace a bit more careful, and even if it sounds callous, now you could tell customers who want to refuse to don a mask about her death as that might provide some more incentive for them to be more careful, too.

--------------------

As of today, Saturday, September 5, 10:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 29 (-8.) active cases, while 478 (+8.) people have recovered. All in all there have been 520 (+-0) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 8.5.

Currently no person needs to be treated in a hospital. 13 persons sadly died. 165 (+2) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 28.237 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Edited by Astreya

41 minutes ago, Astreya said:

@Lagie

That's horrible! This wasn't much more than a week since she was tested! I hope this makes the other people in the vicinity of your workplace a bit more careful, and even if it sounds callous, now you could tell customers who want to refuse to don a mask about her death as that might provide some more incentive for them to be more careful, too.

@Lagie I'm so sorry to hear this. What Astreya says, though, is true. It may be callous, but it tends to shut up all but the most vocal of the conspiracy theorists if you can name someone who actually died. 

1 hour ago, Astreya said:

@Lagie

21 minutes ago, olympe said:

@Lagie I'm so sorry to hear this. What Astreya says, though, is true. It may be callous, but it tends to shut up all but the most vocal of the conspiracy theorists if you can name someone who actually died. 

Odd that you should both say this. I was not supposed to be at work today, but was, and one of my former shop volunteers came in for books (having NOT listened when I'd told him we were NOT open today; he's lucky I was there), and when I caught him with his mask on his chin, that is exactly what I said to him.

I didn't realize she had four kids. :( And their father's not on the scene. Apparently she'd been seeing a policeman, and that's likely how she caught it.

My 88-year-old aunt is in hospital as of yesterday in need of blood transfusions. I really hope she doesn't get Covid while she's in there.

@Lagie

I really hope all the best to your aunt.

And 4 kids... The poor little ones! I hope that someone will take good care of them after all.

6 hours ago, Lagie said:
On 8/28/2020 at 8:45 PM, Lagie said:

Coworker tested positive...

Sonia died yesterday. :(

oh yikes, i'm so sorry, Lagie :( 

i had a fun interaction with a customer today.  we're allowed to gently remind customers that the mask should cover their nose too.

me, pointing to my own (masked) nose: i think your mask slipped off your nose again

her: i'm trying to breath here

me: i read in a few places that studies have shown the virus enters in through your nose more than your mouth....

her: *shrugs and finishes the transaction*

me: *sighs*

also my mother-inlaw posted yesterday on facebook that her younger sister was admitted to her ICU (in Georgia) with COVID.  eep!

Eep is right. Sorry to hear that, @trystan.

And here is why our numbers aren't getting any lower...

outdoors.jpg.bc1224604fee096731cc2ca59c21e241.jpgoutdoor.jpg.2d49d072597105ebc45c92e9d10364c1.jpg

This is three days ago at a venue not too far from my home. This isn't quite what was meant by 'outdoor dining with physical distancing' and 'masks until you are actually eating'.

@Lagie So sorry to hear your co-worker AND her poor kids AND your aunt! Take care of yourself!!!  

@trystan I want a new President, too! (and a new Texas governor, but we're stuck for 2 more years :()

We are staying in .... our son & grandgirls who live close come swim (they are being super careful too - the 6yr old has epilepsy). The daughter in Florida is stressed & wants us there... but that requires driving 2 days or flying! She's out of work (does lighting for conventions) & has an 8 month old & 13 yr old.

Well, looking at the numbers (again), I noticed that India will most likely have more people tested positive for covid than the US by the end of October. I wonder what Trump will do to make sure that America stays first... With him, you never know.

As of today, Sunday, September 6, 10:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 30 (+1) active cases, while 482 (+4) people have recovered. All in all there have been 525 (+5) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 10.9.

Currently no person needs to be treated in a hospital. 13 persons sadly died. 165 (+-0) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 28.237 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

30 new cases yesterday, 23 on my island, and one additional death (Sonia). :(

(I hadn't realized she was my age.)

Screenshot_20200906-111828.thumb.jpg.6e4627ec81d9d595b9d6e0859cce6336.jpg

Here's the breakdown and other details, if you're interested.

Screenshot_20200906-111914.thumb.jpg.0e8fbc488b514bc1bef5494ecff41ee3.jpg

What island are you on Lagie?

So sorry to hear about Sonia.  Are her kids young?

I'll say a prayer for your aunt.  

4 hours ago, olympe said:

Well, looking at the numbers (again), I noticed that India will most likely have more people tested positive for covid than the US by the end of October. I wonder what Trump will do to make sure that America stays first... With him, you never know.

in this case, probably nothing - more testing means more cases, and that makes him look bad.  XD 

i think we (america) don't need to be first in number of covid cases! (but that's me, yanno....)