trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

Man... I would have loved to have such a principal.

Now I can't get this song out of my head...

so the good news is hubby's friend's test came back in 3 days.  the better news is it's negative! (hopefully it's a true negative too!)

20 minutes ago, trystan said:

so the good news is hubby's friend's test came back in 3 days.  the better news is it's negative! (hopefully it's a true negative too!)

Excellent! :)

10 hours ago, Astreya said:

The Covid-19 infection numbers in Germany continue to go up. From the statements of various officials, the new infections are caused mainly within Germany via family celebrations, religious congregations, in certain work settings and also via people returning from holidays.

And wait until 2-4 weeks after school starts again. It's going to be worse because this is just the beginning. Unless, of course, something changes. Maybe we should look to Italy for inspiration, as they're doing exceedingly well despite having had I don't know how many tourists in the country. They must be doing something right.

That being said, in our home state, a couple of things have been changed: Once school starts, all students from grade 5 upward will have to constantly wear a mask when on school grounds (unless they're eating or drinking). My mom has been saying from the get-go that it might be better if all students (that can afford to do so) should stay (mostly) out of school and repeat the year, and I'm quite close to agreeing with her. Unfortunately, there's no guarantee that we'll be covid-free after one year, and we'd need a plan B if we aren't. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Also, people getting on public transportation without a face mask will have to pay a rather hefty fine of € 150 - not something that'll kill you financially, but something that will hurt the average person. Especially in times of economical distress, for lack of a better word. I hope it's going to work. In my hometown, we've had three cases of people being forced to leave a bus because they refused to wear a face mask. A (slightly smaller) neighboring town (Remscheid) didn't have any covidiots like that as of today. No wonder Solingen is close to the top in new infections. :( 

9 hours ago, trystan said:

This is great news, trystan! 

5 hours ago, olympe said:

And wait until 2-4 weeks after school starts again. It's going to be worse because this is just the beginning.

Or you could just look to America, where a high school in Georgia that reopened without masking or social distancing requirements is already facing a coronavirus outbreak, and Thales Academy has had two students come down with it at two separate campuses in North Carolina. One student at Thales got it from a family member rather than on campus,  but it's still a good reminder that we re-opened too soon. 

I shudder at our flu season this year if we don't get this under control.

13 minutes ago, purpledragonclaw said:

This is great news, trystan! 

thanks PDC!

the guy who's sick, hubby said it's mainly stomach issues... so who knows.

On Monday, classes started again in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern and Hamburg. Today two schools had to close again as one teacher and one pupil tested positive for Covid-19. Very efficient...

Source: https://www.faz.net/aktuell/gesellschaft/gesundheit/coronavirus/zwei-schulen-in-mecklenburg-vorpommern-wegen-corona-geschlossen-16894308.html

-----------------------

As of today, Friday, August 7, 10:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 50 (-4) active cases, while 354 (+6) people have recovered. All in all there have been 416 (+2) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 12.3.

Currently 6 (-1) persons are treated in hospitals, none of them in intensive care. 12 persons sadly died. 232 (-9) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 18 782 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen up to Friday, August 7, 10:00 GMT+2, with 95 more scheduled to be done today.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

7 hours ago, Lagie said:

Very good article about Canada versus the US.

very good read.  americans are idjits, says the american who wears her mask!

16 minutes ago, Lagie said:

Mask counties vs no-mask counties in Kansas.

yeah, that looks about right..

early on, like end of march or beginning of april, i saw a tweet or a text post that said you should act like you actually have covid, and conduct your behavior that way - wear a mask, say 6ft/2m away from others, and wash your hands.  you see how well people do that.

and there's this too~

116877361_3741202495894807_2114557707177309689_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=njL9rpyG7DgAX8N3zd1&_nc_ht=scontent.fphl2-4.fna&oh=78a850e96de9893a300b94c3e90cfb6e&oe=5F542DCD

54 minutes ago, trystan said:

yeah, that looks about right..

early on, like end of march or beginning of april, i saw a tweet or a text post that said you should act like you actually have covid, and conduct your behavior that way - wear a mask, say 6ft/2m away from others, and wash your hands.  you see how well people do that.

and there's this too~

116877361_3741202495894807_2114557707177309689_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=njL9rpyG7DgAX8N3zd1&_nc_ht=scontent.fphl2-4.fna&oh=78a850e96de9893a300b94c3e90cfb6e&oe=5F542DCD

We also learned some other thing:

• Covidiots are everywhere.
    • Trump probably is the biggest one in the US. (I'm not sure whether he's the biggest one in the world, though. Bolsonaro may or may not have him beat.)
  • Conspiracy theories are very much en vogue.
    • Way too many people (especially in the US, unfortunately) are too stupid to understand simple science.
    • Way too many US citizens don't trust their government further than they can throw their president. (Considering he's grossly overweight, you can imagine how far they can throw him.)
      • The same is true for way too many people in a number of other countries, my home country included. But it seems to be overly common in the US, especially government officials.
    • People prefer to believe the weirdest bull**** if it means they don't have to inconvenience themselves.
  • Trump is a sportive guy. If there was an olympic medal in back-pedalling or doing 180s, he'd get them all. Not just the golden one. (Because, apparently, Trump is a cheater, too. Or so his caddies claim.)
  • Media - social or otherwise - cannot be trusted. (If you're against Trump: See Fox News for example. If you're pro Trump: See anything but Fox News for example.)
  • Zuckerberg can be influenced if enough money is involved. (Wasn't there a recently deleted presidential post?) Who would have thought?

ETA: In Germany, we always crown the un-word of the year. (Please bear in mind that compound words in German are written as one word. Not like central heating, but "centralheating".)  I'm curious what it may be for 2020. Covidiot? Conspiracy theorist? Fake News? (No, that one's old.) Obamagate? (Probably too American.) Big Pharma? Kung Flu? (No, that doesn't exist in German.) Chinese virus? Tweet? (Certainly deserves a honorable mention at least.)

Edited by olympe

@olympe - i LOL'd at your entire post.  it's so true.  especially about people believing in weird BS and not science! *sigh*

my vote for your un-word of the year is "Covidiot"! :) 

Edited by trystan

25 minutes ago, trystan said:

@olympe - i LOL'd at your entire post.  it's so true.  especially about people believing in weird BS and not science! *sigh*

my vote for your un-word of the year is "Covidiot"! :) 

Science isn't supposed to be believed, it's supposed to be understood and worked on to perfect the result. Science isn't faith. /rant

Then again, most people don't get simple statistics. Like, when rolling a regular, 6-sided dice six times in a row, how likely is it to roll at least one 6? (Most people quickly answer with 100%. It's easy to disprove. Just let them do it until, that one time, they don't roll a 6 in 6 tries. So much for 100%. And, just in case you're curious, the actual answer is pretty close to 2/3.)

Or: If you drive a distance of 1 mile at 30 mph, how fast would you have to go for the 2nd mile if you wanted to drive the two-mile distance at an average speed of 60 mph? (Most people will answer that with 90 mph. Obviously, this isn't true, either, because the time you need to complete the first mile at 30 mph is the total time you would need for 2 miles at 60 mph. You simply can't drive 1 mile in 0.0 nanoseconds.)

Or, on a slightly different note: 6+6=13 is read as "6 plus 6 equals 13". Shouldn't it be "6 plus 6 equal 13" because both sixes are plural numbers? (Whatever your answer is going to be, it should include the observation that 6 plus 6 does not, in fact, equal 13.)

19 minutes ago, olympe said:

Science isn't supposed to be believed, it's supposed to be understood and worked on to perfect the result.

there's another post that i put on facebook that basically says that we're seeing science in real time with covid - what works, what doesn't work, what might work in some cases.... and the "science deniers" don't understand that - that right now we're the laboratory for this!

found it!

Spoiler

110298776_10157623659318196_2928211711922591922_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=z6rheEAMUAIAX-uH79z&_nc_ht=scontent.fphl2-3.fna&oh=117ca12625c46140b41e8207a1bbe019&oe=5F5396BE

Like, when rolling a regular, 6-sided dice six times in a row, how likely is it to roll at least one 6?

hmm... each roll has a 1/6th of a chance to be a 6, so they think 1/6 times 6, to get one.... but that's not right.  i don't know how to express it though.

You simply can't drive 1 mile in 0.0 nanoseconds.

time jump?

6+6=13

for slightly larger values of 6.

XD 

Edited by trystan

6 minutes ago, trystan said:

hmm... each roll has a 1/6th of a chance to be a 6, so they think 1/6 times 6, to get one.... but that's not right.  i don't know how to express it though.

It's called "stochastically independent processes". Many people don't get it - like my dad who loves to play lotto and always looks at the old drawing results to derive which numbers he should choose the next time...

I like your "for a slightly larger value of 6." - we used that in maths at times when someone miscalculated XD 

Edited by Astreya

3 minutes ago, Astreya said:

It's called "stochastically independent processes".

it's the same "process" for when a woman has a child.  taking the assumption that gender is binary, each time a woman gets pregnant, its a 50/50 chance of a boy or a girl. so while i understand it, i don't know how to express it succinctly.

i saw the "for slightly larger values of x" bit once in reference to Orwell's 1984: 2+2 = 5, for slightly larger values of 2. XD 

@Astreya - well, yes. with babies, it's not that simple as a roll of a die.

in other news, Model projects nearly 300,000 Americans could die from Covid-19 by December - "The statement said that if 95% of the people in the US wear face coverings, the number would decrease to 228,271 deaths, and more than 66,000 lives could be saved."

note to 'murricans - wear your dang mask! (i mean, not those of y'all who do already!)

Oh goodness (the polite version of what I'm thinking) - the orange dude is speaking live. 'It's going to disappear...'

He's just flat out lying now. (Why do people give him any time ever???)

This is another good article, except for the last bit where The Bahamas is one of the two worst countries in its response.

Mind you, that's kind of borne out by 69 new cases today, our highest single day count yet. 31 on my island.

117335329_640636476658333_83646755020227

Edited by Lagie

9 minutes ago, Lagie said:

Oh goodness (the polite version of what I'm thinking) - the orange dude is speaking live. 'It's going to disappear...'

He's just flat out lying now. (Why do people give him any time ever???)

he's been saying that since literally Day One.  maybe he thinks if he says it enough, it'll come true?

10 minutes ago, Lagie said:

This is another good article, except for the last bit where The Bahamas is one of the two worst countries in its response.

hmm, i would have thought the US would have been lower than it was.  kudos to Andrew Cuomo?

48 additional cases today. 33 of them on my island.Screenshot_20200808-212613.thumb.jpg.235c4a62ba525b446a98c0b62681de8c.jpg

Sorry, this is a little late, but it's pretty hot here in my area and I fell into something like a heat-induced torpor.

-----------------------

As of today, Saturday, August 8, 09:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 48 (-2) active cases, while 356 (+2) people have recovered. All in all there have been 416 (+-0) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 9.0.

Currently 3 (-3) persons are treated in hospitals, none of them in intensive care. 12 persons sadly died. 235 (+3) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 18 880 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen up to Saturday, August 8.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

On 8/8/2020 at 1:33 AM, trystan said:

@Astreya - well, yes. with babies, it's not that simple as a roll of a die.

in other news, Model projects nearly 300,000 Americans could die from Covid-19 by December - "The statement said that if 95% of the people in the US wear face coverings, the number would decrease to 228,271 deaths, and more than 66,000 lives could be saved."

note to 'murricans - wear your dang mask! (i mean, not those of y'all who do already!)

I must admit I'm amazed that they could calculate the number of would-be deaths in case of 95% mask compliacne to the single digits. /sarcasm In other words: The numbers can't be anything but either phony or quoted wrong. Sorry.

15 hours ago, Astreya said:

Sorry, this is a little late, but it's pretty hot here in my area and I fell into something like a heat-induced torpor.

And here I thought torpor was cold-induced. You learn something new every day...

@olympe

While the cold thing is true for real stuff, I have to admit that my association came from Vampire: the Masquerade where Vampires fell into torpor when they dried out, and as I felt just that way, the word came to me via that.

-----------------

As of today, Sunday, August 9, 10:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 52 (+4) active cases, while 357 (+1) people have recovered. All in all there have been 421 (+5) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 10.4.

Currently 3 (+-0) persons are treated in hospitals, one of them in intensive care. 12 persons sadly died. 251 (+16) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 18 880 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen up to Saturday, August 8.

Edited by Astreya