pinkgothic

The Release History Of Dragon Cave Spiral

You know, it is really too bad that we can't really have both the new and the old sprites in the lineage. Just sayin'! XD

15 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

You know, it is really too bad that we can't really have both the new and the old sprites in the lineage. Just sayin'! XD

Mood.

@all Regarding the lineage, "yes" votes on the inclusion in the lineage to me outweigh any other possibly considerations, so I'm definitely for including Thunders and Sakuhanas. Laculas and Magis still need someone's opinion that is not me (although they will default to "yes" if no one speaks up about them, which is fine). Snows are currently not going to be included; let me know if you feel differently about this.

Edit: I decided to gamble. I picked up a CB rainbow copper from the cave instead and hope I can trade it for a CB thunder caught today. All locked now, so I guess we'll see whether the gamble pays off!

Edited by pinkgothic

Agree that Magis and Laculas should be included. The only one I'm not sure of is the Snow because to me those changes were very minor.

Then they are now definitely and 100%ly in. Thanks, you two!

Meanwhile, a round of pings, because I've managed to fight my way through my to do list enough to do the pinging:

@WhisperingWillows: Can you try for a Mint again? ❤️

@Serotina: Think you can try for another Jester? (Not critical in any way, but I figure you might appreciate the ping now that the Valentine madness is definitely over.)

Regarding the Main Spiral, there've been a few remarks so far about potentially parallelising it. I've slept on this enough by now to conclude that I'm not actually in principle opposed to this idea. But I'm not sure how to best go about it. Here are some thoughts about it and some open questions:

• A spiral per Dragon Cave year sounds like a workable plan. (The one we're presently working on would be an exception, spanning 2006, 2007 and 2008.)
  • I'd like there to be some way to "link in" a spiral once it's done and would appreciate ideas about this.
    • We can pair up the "ends" of the spirals, but then of course it's not very spirally and becomes a fork instead. I don't think I like this (especially since the fork elements will be of different length - although to be fair it'll likely be invisible as I'm pretty sure they'll all be longer than a single lineage page), but feel free to convince me I should.
    • We can also just have the spirals be easter egg partners of the base pair - as in, whatever the base pair is of the year's spiral, the "CB" contributor (meaning the parent that would be a CB if we had an eternal spiral) would later be paired to the end of the previous year's spiral. To find it, someone would click from the lineage view onto the "CB" dragon of the base pair, landing on its view page, then click on the "Progeny" link, and find the other project dragon that it was bred to. I like this, but I don't know if it's too obscure.
    • Other ideas?
  • How do we pick the base pairs? 2009 begins with Geodes and Frills. I have the CBs of Geodes marked down as Green Dragons, so I guess we'd grab a Geode that was bred on its release date (assuming we can find one) and then... do we hope the person also has a Frill dragon? What if we can't find someone whose scroll satisfies this? (If your reaction is "but I satisfy this!", remember this is a stand-in for a general problem XD.) Do we compromise on the Frill or the Geode?
  • How many of these should we work on at once? I feel like two or three are plenty, but happy to hear other opinions. "All at once, as long as we find good base pairs" is fine.

(Even if we were to do this, I would stick to the male/female assignments in my sheet as well as we can, basically so we can pretend it's still one large spiral whose pieces would in principle fit together.)

Other brainstorming appreciated! As usual I expect I've forgotten some things.

Trading paid off! I got a CB thunder. :D I've influenced the Lacula male, the Magi female, and the Thunder male.

Grats on the thunder trade pinkgothic! 

I just had a trade come through and have another cb thunder from the 13th.  I also picked up a pair of magi on the 13th.  Any preference on what influence they should get? (didn't go for lacula, never liked them and still don't :P)

Just now, Dracaena said:

Grats on the thunder trade pinkgothic! 

I just had a trade come through and have another cb thunder from the 13th.  I also picked up a pair of magi on the 13th.  Any preference on what influence they should get? (didn't go for lacula, never liked them and still don't :P)

Awesome news on your acquisitions! :D Let's keep them aligned; so if you influence the Magi female and the Thunder male, we'll be in agreement. ❤️ (There's a chance we might "need" them the other way around, but I don't think it makes much sense to influence them the opposite way. If we were to do that, then the canonical way of continuing the spiral has a bus factor of 1. XD This way we've got a decent chance of a bus factor of 2.)

*has no idea what a bus factor is or why one is needed but smiles and nods anyway*

You got it, male for thunder and female for the two magi. :)

3 minutes ago, Dracaena said:

*has no idea what a bus factor is or why one is needed but smiles and nods anyway*

Haha, it's a bit of a morbid name for "how many people does this thing depend on." It's called 'bus factor' because the narrative is "how many people need to be run over by a bus before you have a problem?". I've usually seen it used in the context of critical software infrastructure, where it's really easy for there to be That One Person Who Has All The Domain Knowledge For This One Critical Component with no one else understanding much of anything about it. If that person leaves (or in the morbid case, is injured or outright dies), the Critical Component can no longer be maintained and any breakage becomes an existential risk for the company.

If we're the only two people with resprite date dragons in the project, and our dragons have opposite genders, only one of those sets can ever be "right" when we get around to it. That means only one person has the dragons needed to continue the spiral 'properly'; hence bus factor 1.

Unlike in the software company example, it's not a big deal, of course, since we don't mind only approximating the date if we have nothing better. But I still think in those terms anyway.

8 minutes ago, Dracaena said:

You got it, male for thunder and female for the two magi. :)

Oh, oh, I noticed I'd actually misread you a wee bit! I didn't realise you had two Magi, because I'm blind and skipped over the word "pair". In that case it probably makes sense to influence them one male and one female. Want me to bounce?

Amusing how the bus factor term came about (yes I can have a morbid sense of humor at times).  Though I do understand it as my better half does some IT work and can relate to the reference.

You're in luck I've got my bsa dragons at the ready but haven't put them to work yet.  Had a feeling it didn't sink in right away it was a pair (2) magi.  So no bounce needed. ;)  It'll be one male, one female.

1 minute ago, Dracaena said:

Amusing how the bus factor term came about (yes I can have a morbid sense of humor at times).  Though I do understand it as my better half does some IT work and can relate to the reference.

You're in luck I've got my bsa dragons at the ready but haven't put them to work yet.  Had a feeling it didn't sink in right away it was a pair (2) magi.  So no bounce needed. ;)  It'll be one male, one female.

I'm glad you're wise enough to know pinkgothic can't read. XD ❤️ Thanks for your help in this!

Just now, Tinibree said:

I've got another blue parg if anyone wants it 

Yes please!

If you send it my way, I should be able to pick it up in less than half a day (assuming I don't space out).

I bred another Pink. Pretty sure I'll end up with a bunch of Arias and Pinks before getting that elusive Mint. XD Anyone want it?

9 hours ago, WhisperingWillows said:

I bred another Pink. Pretty sure I'll end up with a bunch of Arias and Pinks before getting that elusive Mint. XD Anyone want it?

❤️ Me, please!

Bit of an update for me. 

I did remember to try breeding the replacement egg for Tinibree, but this one sorts as red and is up for grabsKdzOK  edit:  sent in PM to pinkgothic.

My sprite update replacement date dragons are male thunder eP9Xz, male magi U5LyX, female magi l1A5A.  I miss the ribbing in the magi wings they used to have. :(

Edited by Dracaena

1 hour ago, Dracaena said:

I did remember to try breeding the replacement egg for Tinibree, but this one sorts as red and is up for grabs. KdzOK  

I'd love to have it! ❤️

(And thanks for the sprite update release codes, I'll add those to the cache. ❤️)

Here I was, ready to accuse you of stealing the needed red, and today, finally, it sorts red. Who does this even go to? Tempest I think? Hasn't been in spiral yet

He felt the replacement engine revving up lol.

I know we thought about having a split off line from mine, but with how much hassle its been to get this first one, do we still want to do that?

Edited by Tini

8 hours ago, Tini said:

Here I was, ready to accuse you of stealing the needed red, and today, finally, it sorts red. Who does this even go to? Tempest I think? Hasn't been in spiral yet

He felt the replacement engine revving up lol.

Yeah, @TempestSea sounds like the best choice. :D

8 hours ago, Tini said:

I know we thought about having a split off line from mine, but with how much hassle its been to get this first one, do we still want to do that?

No need, the main idea was just to get you an alternate Pargulus so you'd be less constantly frustrated with your present pair. :D Now that we've got a continuation, there's less of a pressing need for it.

There's a chance TempestSea will also struggle, obviously, and it being the end of the line is going to give additional headaches (if you thought breeding *one* Pargulus in the right colour, just wait until you need to do it for several people who'd like a chance at continuing the line, after all XD), but if that happens I'd ask you to try some more, not Dracaena. Would save us a step.

On 1/8/2021 at 5:16 AM, pinkgothic said:

We can also fan out a bit! (I do keep meaning to encourage that, after all. XD) If you don't mind trying to breed two peaches out of your pair, Tinibree, you could send one to Ruby Eyes and one to TempestSea, then we'll have two "end" pairs. :D

I was referring to this bit from back when we were naive about getting peaches XD

Parg sent off

Edited by Tini

The parg is going to hit incuhatchable in a few hours so i'll influ/incuhatch and send to ruby.

TempestSea isn't responding? That's a shame. Yes, please send it to Ruby, then. ❤️ Thanks for staying on top of it!

Yeah unfortunately haven't been on forums in a couple weeks and while they have some growing things on the scroll they're all about the same age.