pinkgothic

The Release History Of Dragon Cave Spiral

Named and grouped it to remind myself what to do with it later :D

Sweet! Looking forward to the continuation. :D

Also, bumping this discussion to a new page:

On 3/14/2021 at 1:51 AM, pinkgothic said:

Regarding the Main Spiral, there've been a few remarks so far about potentially parallelising it. I've slept on this enough by now to conclude that I'm not actually in principle opposed to this idea. But I'm not sure how to best go about it. Here are some thoughts about it and some open questions:

• A spiral per Dragon Cave year sounds like a workable plan. (The one we're presently working on would be an exception, spanning 2006, 2007 and 2008.)
  • I'd like there to be some way to "link in" a spiral once it's done and would appreciate ideas about this.
    • We can pair up the "ends" of the spirals, but then of course it's not very spirally and becomes a fork instead. I don't think I like this (especially since the fork elements will be of different length - although to be fair it'll likely be invisible as I'm pretty sure they'll all be longer than a single lineage page), but feel free to convince me I should.
    • We can also just have the spirals be easter egg partners of the base pair - as in, whatever the base pair is of the year's spiral, the "CB" contributor (meaning the parent that would be a CB if we had an eternal spiral) would later be paired to the end of the previous year's spiral. To find it, someone would click from the lineage view onto the "CB" dragon of the base pair, landing on its view page, then click on the "Progeny" link, and find the other project dragon that it was bred to. I like this, but I don't know if it's too obscure.
    • Other ideas?
  • How do we pick the base pairs? 2009 begins with Geodes and Frills. I have the CBs of Geodes marked down as Green Dragons, so I guess we'd grab a Geode that was bred on its release date (assuming we can find one) and then... do we hope the person also has a Frill dragon? What if we can't find someone whose scroll satisfies this? (If your reaction is "but I satisfy this!", remember this is a stand-in for a general problem XD.) Do we compromise on the Frill or the Geode?
  • How many of these should we work on at once? I feel like two or three are plenty, but happy to hear other opinions. "All at once, as long as we find good base pairs" is fine.

(Even if we were to do this, I would stick to the male/female assignments in my sheet as well as we can, basically so we can pretend it's still one large spiral whose pieces would in principle fit together.)

Other brainstorming appreciated! As usual I expect I've forgotten some things.

Any opinions? Or is everyone perfectly neutral about this even happening? XD

9 minutes ago, pinkgothic said:

We can also just have the spirals be easter egg partners of the base pair - as in, whatever the base pair is of the year's spiral, the "CB" contributor (meaning the parent that would be a CB if we had an eternal spiral) would later be paired to the end of the previous year's spiral. To find it, someone would click from the lineage view onto the "CB" dragon of the base pair, landing on its view page, then click on the "Progeny" link, and find the other project dragon that it was bred to. I like this, but I don't know if it's too obscure.

I don't really understand this one XD Can you draft this?

Generally, I don't mind either way. The earliest I would possibly be able to contribute may be 2013 or 2014 anyway because before I didn't really notice releases when they happened XD

35 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

I don't really understand this one XD Can you draft this?

Of course! Sorry for being unclear. In brief, if it helps, it's not actually combining the lineages at all - it's just giving people breadcrumbs to follow if they like. But let me try and explain this differently, using 2013 and 2014 as an example (because that's an especially annoying transition, if we want the daytime Solstice in our line).

So, we'd have a start to the 2014 at some point that would look, maybe, like this:

dragcave-release-spiral-mockup-2014-star

("Hold on, why is there a 2013 Nhiostrife Wyvern paired with the Radiant Angel?" Because it's the last non-event dragon before the Radiant Angel - usually this is what you'd like to pair your event dragons with. But keep in mind I'm still a bit on the fence on how to do the starter pairs and welcome any input on how to handle that situation. But remember, in most years, the starting sprite is a (single-gender) Valentine sprite! 😮)

Meanwhile we'd be working on the 2013 spiral. Eventually that one would conclude with something like this:

dragcave-release-spiral-mockup-2013-end.

With Nhiostrife or Solstice offspring given to people dependent on time-of-year. Once we hit that end, we'd take the CB Radiant Angel at the beginning of the 2014 line (it's the true CB component of a spiral we'd have if we'd be doing the line as a single spiral only, since the Nhiostrife in the 2013 example line would have come from previous spiral efforts) and breed him a mate from the end of the 2013 spiral. Then we'd make them have babies together. :P (In this case it's once-or-twice-a-year babies because this year transition is the hugest pain because of the daytime Solstice -- if we didn't care about the daytime Solstice, we'd just knock a Nhiostrife out of the CB Solstice, and then a Nhiostrife out of the CB Radiant Angel and move on.)

dragcave-release-spiral-mockup-2013-end-

This changes nothing about the appearance of the 2014 spiral, but it continues the 2013 spiral with the "right" CB. Now people can find the spiral parts in two ways:

1. coming from 2013, they can click on the CB Radiant Angel, look at his progeny, find another mate with a name that suggests it's part of the Release History Spiral in the list, and look at the offspring. That'll take them into the 2014 spiral.

2. coming from 2014, they can click on the CB Radiant Angel, look at his progeny, find another mate with a name that suggests it's part of the Release History Spiral in the list, and look at this mate's lineage. That'll take them to the full 2013 spiral.

So the CB Radiant Angel becomes a kind of semantic glue between the two spirals with a minimal disruption to how pretty things look - but it's unlikely someone who doesn't know about this project on the forum, where we would document this behaviour, would stumble across it organically.

Edited by pinkgothic
Typo fix

My basic thought is: I'm happy to help where I can with the smaller lines but I prefer the one big line.

16 hours ago, EragonSaphiraRider said:

I would be willing to toss this guy into the lineage. Never even bred him, and I need to get the other colours as it is! Dragon - (QtkvD) - Dragon Cave (dragcave.net)

Hey there! ❤️ Thanks so much for chiming in! At the moment, Ruby Eyes is trying to get the last pair of the line going. @Tini, do you want to try breeding another Peach Pargulus for @EragonSaphiraRider? I know it's a bit of a pain. XD But might be good to try, unless Ruby wins the RNG lottery and ends up just breeding Peach Pargulus offspring from her pair for the project members to get.

11 minutes ago, pinkgothic said:

Hey there! ❤️ Thanks so much for chiming in! At the moment, Ruby Eyes is trying to get the last pair of the line going. @Tini, do you want to try breeding another Peach Pargulus for @EragonSaphiraRider? I know it's a bit of a pain. XD But might be good to try, unless Ruby wins the RNG lottery and ends up just breeding Peach Pargulus offspring from her pair for the project members to get.

If I can help in any way with my boy I will :)  

On 3/30/2021 at 12:48 AM, Iridescence444 said:

I haven’t really participated in anything like this but I do have a release date female Iratus canto!

Noted you down! :D Though at the current rate it'll be a long time before we get around to the Cantormaris dragons. I'll make a survey about splitting the line into years sometime this weekend (assuming I don't space out and forget e_e), though, which might change that situation!

On 3/30/2021 at 12:57 AM, Tini said:

Yeah I'll keep grinding away at the peaches lol

Thanks! ❤️❤️❤️

sorry - have been distracted...

really sorry I missed this...

Edited by TempestSea

And they noegged me v.v was hoping to get you a replacement.

It's alright, it found a home anyway! And I'll keep trying.

My first Pargulus eggy sorts with red :) Who gets this?

Also, what names?

11 hours ago, TempestSea said:

sorry - have been distracted...

really sorry I missed this...

Hey, don't worry about it! I hope everything's all right in your life. Feel free to hit me up in PM if I can help with anything, okay? ❤️

11 hours ago, Tini said:

And they noegged me v.v was hoping to get you a replacement.

It's alright, it found a home anyway! And I'll keep trying.

Thanks for keeping on the ball and trying! ❤️

9 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

My first Pargulus eggy sorts with red :) Who gets this?

Also, what names?

We're at the end of the line now - you can keep the first one, if you like! :D Other than that, I'd love to get one eventually!

As for names, something like "Pargulus Pygmies were the first x pygmies with six sprites", maybe?

12 hours ago, pinkgothic said:

Hey, don't worry about it! I hope everything's all right in your life. Feel free to hit me up in PM if I can help with anything, okay? ❤️

Nah nothin wrong just lots of it lol :)

Sorry y'all. Definitely appreciated the ping, helped me remember to breed them...

But I got another blancblack.

Anyone interested?

Edited by Serotina

11 minutes ago, Serotina said:

Sorry y'all. Definitely appreciated the ping, helped me remember to breed them...

No worries, and thanks for the update!

11 minutes ago, Serotina said:

But I got another blancblack.

Anyone interested?

Always! ❤️ I unlock in a few hours; dibs to anyone that wants it before then, obviously. XD

18 hours ago, Serotina said:

Got another blancblack a few days ago. Jut forgot to mention it.

If you'd be willing to part with it, I'd love to have it. ❤️

How come no one pointed out to me that I have title case on my dragons when the rest of the lineage members mostly are in sentence case? XD

Just tried my pygmies and got another red. I'll toss it at tempest but if they don't pick it up in about a day who wants it? 

9 hours ago, Tini said:

Just tried my pygmies and got another red. I'll toss it at tempest but if they don't pick it up in about a day who wants it? 

We were a bit short on people with release-day male Peach Pargulus pygmies, so there's no one else, really, but I'm a happy default owner for rejects, even the ones that weren't technically meant to be rejects. XD

10 hours ago, Dirtytabs said:

How come no one pointed out to me that I have title case on my dragons when the rest of the lineage members mostly are in sentence case? XD

Clearly so we could savour the moment when you found out and we could all have a good laugh. (But, seriously, I laughed. XD I hadn't noticed, and of course there's no rule for it either way! Naming is, after all, up to the person whose pair it is. If it bugs you, you can change it, but please don't feel obliged! ❤️)