TJ09

2018-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 12th Birthday!

56 minutes ago, SkyWolf25 said:

XD

*sneaks off with the Leodons while the other mods fight*

I feel so content with this update. So many things that I'd wanted all in one package.. =u=

Hey! Give me those Leodons back! They're my favourites. :D I'm going to hoard them all and make all the lineages before anyone else nicks them. :P

These dragons are TRULY fantastic beasts. :D Beautiful work from our spriters once more!

Happy Birthday Dragon Cave!

Thanks for the new dragons.  I am thrilled to have another eastern (Melismor) in the cave.  The Leodons are stunning.  Jury is out for me on Razorcrest, I'm almost seeing more parrot than dragon there.  The Lacula was a deja vu moment.  The night before I had clicked on a Magistream creature  in a signature and it was so similar.  Not sure what to think. :o

Oh @Shokomon you made my DAY! Those blue power lines coming out of Zero's hand are perfect! 

*sneaks off with Laculas and leaves Storm and LadyLyzar to fight*

I managed to grab 2 more Laculas. Only one left before I go for Leodons and Razorcrests!

1 hour ago, Dracaena said:

Happy Birthday Dragon Cave!

Thanks for the new dragons.  I am thrilled to have another eastern (Melismor) in the cave.  The Leodons are stunning.  Jury is out for me on Razorcrest, I'm almost seeing more parrot than dragon there.  The Lacula was a deja vu moment.  The night before I had clicked on a Magistream creature  in a signature and it was so similar.  Not sure what to think. :o

They are kinda similar now that you mention it, though Jord Jormungandr are a bit stockier and have very large scales with thick plating and antlers and would probably qualify as wyrms, not amps, while our good buddies on DC have very fine (probably) tiny shark-like scales and thin bodies with normal sized horns and are most definitely amps.

Not the first time there has been a similarity between the sites though:

Spoiler

7d3a0a683b107dc38ce156b3d1efff968a9ec978Dragon on rearing up two legs that causes insanity

latest?cb=20141103080537Dragon rearing up on two legs that causes insanity

It's almost certainly a coincidence, the dragon's are actually pretty different executions of the idea. (Eldritch dragons are vaguely based on eldritch lore)

Edited by blockEdragon

3 hours ago, Guillotine said:

It's likely that Scripts were based on the witches from Umineko When They Cry, given their descriptions and the specific color of their hide-writing

While the Scripts are indeed a reference to something, this is incorrect! I like Umineko but hadn't even heard of it back when I made them!

I can't get over how gorgeous the new reds are! Are they the red sprites from the old Ascended thread a couple of years ago? They look so familiar! (Not upset if they are- I loved them then and I love them now!)

2 hours ago, Alrexwolf said:

Please note that just because I find the pose uncomfortable by no means has anything to do with the quality of the sprite or the breed nor that I think they shouldn't be in cave or part of this release - I really love the breed in general and the sprite is well done. Crit on new releases seems to be met super harshly, so there's your disclaimer. I'm a Hufflepuff. I love Badgers. They are my children. Now that that's out of the way. 

However, the male's pose makes it look like it's jumping. But it's back half is in the wrong? Place? for that? Ferrets, when they jump, hunch their spines in the middle - the Melismor male's spine does like a... let me just demonstrate with a squiggle.

qAxvBPA.png

The black line is how I could expect a leaping animal's spine to work; the red is how I perceive the male's spine to run. It looks almost... too bendy? If that makes sense? I can't even actually find a ferret jumping in a position even similar to how he looks.

know it's probably just a space issue. I know it's not a problem. I believe the sprite looks good. It's just that anatomy wise, its back half looks like it has motion while its front half looks as if it's standing stationary. It literally looks like it's rump is about to collide with its head and its spine is going to do a huge Ω upsidedown omega and its head and bum will meet.

goofyferret.jpg

Not quite the same, but pretty similar?

I like all the adults a lot! Leodons look like they could almost be Easterns, haha.

My least fave of the 4 is the Wyvern but that's ok, Ravenclaw just has bad colours, in my biased opinion.

Edit: As A Hufflepuff I am pleased that the Melismor dragons have my favourite hatchling and adult sprites, and that we have been blessed by dimorphism lol

Edited by Mangrit

I figure that while the Melismors are ferret/badgerlike, being an eastern dragon they still are a bit like noodly snakes too, and snakes can bend and twist in all sorts of contortions. 

20 minutes ago, hazeh said:

I figure that while the Melismors are ferret/badgerlike, being an eastern dragon they still are a bit like noodly snakes too, and snakes can bend and twist in all sorts of contortions. 

That was also my thought. They likely have far more vertebrae than most mammals do.

These new breeds are so... common.

I'm so happy that they're still dropping, I need at least 50 leodons :)

The Red's eye is still much to close to its mouth. In MY opinion anyway. And the female Winter's hind leg looks a little weird to me too. But other than that, I don't really have any problems with them *shrugs*

6 hours ago, Alrexwolf said:

Please note that just because I find the pose uncomfortable by no means has anything to do with the quality of the sprite or the breed nor that I think they shouldn't be in cave or part of this release - I really love the breed in general and the sprite is well done. Crit on new releases seems to be met super harshly, so there's your disclaimer. I'm a Hufflepuff. I love Badgers. They are my children. Now that that's out of the way. 

However, the male's pose makes it look like it's jumping. But it's back half is in the wrong? Place? for that? Ferrets, when they jump, hunch their spines in the middle - the Melismor male's spine does like a... let me just demonstrate with a squiggle.

qAxvBPA.png

The black line is how I could expect a leaping animal's spine to work; the red is how I perceive the male's spine to run. It looks almost... too bendy? If that makes sense? I can't even actually find a ferret jumping in a position even similar to how he looks.

know it's probably just a space issue. I know it's not a problem. I believe the sprite looks good. It's just that anatomy wise, its back half looks like it has motion while its front half looks as if it's standing stationary. It literally looks like it's rump is about to collide with its head and its spine is going to do a huge Ω upsidedown omega and its head and bum will meet.

Yeah, I see what you mean.

But, in my (completely) biased opinion, because I am a Hufflepuff and I absolutely adore the Melismors, it doesn't really bother me. I kind of assumed he had just jumped, and his front paws had landed but his hind paws hadn't yet? Idk, it made sense to my brain haha

6 hours ago, IvoryRaven15 said:

These dragons are TRULY fantastic beasts. :D Beautiful work from our spriters once more!

I see what you did there (sadly I bet someone has already stolen all forms of Newt Scamander's name so...cant slap it on a Melismor...you know...his Hogwarts House <.<)

My eggs just hatched, named the hatchies after the house founders (except for Hufflepuff b/c I didn't get to influence the egg)

wait.. wait what.. are the new dragons harry potter references holy heck

(im probably late)

12 hours ago, Ashywolf said:

@angelicdragonpuppy

@whitestar

Do you really think the new sprites feel that different to the extent that it ruins lineages? I only see anatomy tweaks -- the pose, colour, and composition is much the same. Here is an image that TCA linked.

image.png.77d58663bba3c49ee436155be7f81be1.png

Well, it doesn't exactly ruin images if this style is what people like. But for the dragons I paired them with and the imagery I wanted to convey yes. I like the highlights and contrast in the new designs, but I don't like how they turned out 'pointy'. There are a lot more angles and jointiness. When I made Spring lineages what I was going for was the soft curves of flowers such as cherry blossoms and magnolias. The original designs conveyed that, they no longer do. The lineage with the Male Summer Seasonal also I planned around the more bulky smooth lines, not the sharp edges. For The Male Autumn same thing. I paired it with the Magi which has sharp points so the original male Autumn would counter those edges. But now since the Autumn edges and joints are sharp, I have two sharp edged dragons in the lineage which I don't find attractive. The only Seasonal I think improved, was the Winters. I didn't like them that much and when the Original Winter came out I thought it looked like it had dreadlocks. I do question the new Winter Male on the far foot that is lifting up. It's super tiny to the point it looks deformed or cut off. I understand perspective, but it looks a bit extreme.

1 hour ago, ZelenPixel said:

wait.. wait what.. are the new dragons harry potter references holy heck

(im probably late)

There are certainly a few similarities between the new dragons and Harry Potter, if you look carefully enough. :D 

sighs meanwhile I'm over here only liking the green dragons because everyone else has to compare these dragons to the Harry Potter fandom and I honestly could care less about it 😕 don't get me wrong, I love all the new features and I'm grateful we got these dragons but honestly, I wish we could swing towards the Jurassic Park/World fandom one day. 

Very nice models! Thank you for the release and all teh new goodies!