angelicdragonpuppy

ANSWERED:Make different mates distinct in progeny list

So the question is what do people use the progeny page for, and what kind of format fits those uses best? So far it does sound like the uses the page is used for fits the old format better. But there's also the question of if there are new uses that didn't work well under the old format that the new format supports well.

Another question is, is there another way to organize the progeny page that would fit the uses people want to put it to that isn't simply "revert it"?

I use it to look at who I used as a mate and what their offspring was. Sometimes, I check to see if lineages were continued. I like the see children button, but it's a pain just to see a redudant list of names for a dragon that only has one or two mates and a lot of offspring. It's a lot on the eyes. I don't mind trying new things, but I'm not sure what the new progeny page is supposed to accomplish for DC users.

Edit: I like ADP's suggestion below.

Edited by Jazeki

An improvement I'd like that would only work with mate seperation would be to add a picture of said mate. When I'm picking holiday mates I like to peek at the progeny pages of other people's CBs to get ideas, but if most of the mates have only holiday offspring, I have to manually check each mate to see if it's a breed I think I'd like to try. Would be nice to just say "oooh X with Sunsongs, why didn't I think of that?"

An improvement I'd like that would only work with mate seperation would be to add a picture of said mate. When I'm picking holiday mates I like to peek at the progeny pages of other people's CBs to get ideas, but if most of the mates have only holiday offspring, I have to manually check each mate to see if it's a breed I think I'd like to try. Would be nice to just say "oooh X with Sunsongs, why didn't I think of that?"

I would like this, too! When I look at the progeny page, I can't immediately tell which mate produced which dragon, especially when I have multiple mates that produce the same breed of offspring.

Also, I don't always remember which breed each dragon mate is just by the name smile.gif

I just realized names are harder to distinguish, too, because they're all formatted the same and crammed in with the parent name. I used to be able to quickly find dragons I'd kept by name among a progeny list, but now they all blur together...

Yah, the more I think on it the more I see no reason to have changed the old progeny display. All I'd want changed is mate pictures. :S

Stating my opinion here, I still love the new layout as it's smooth to me :X it seems like it just, pops out at me

Edited by Raptor of Dragons

I greatly prefer the new arrangement to the old. For me it's much easier to follow a dragon's progeny through the generations and I like the fact that they're arranged by age.

I greatly prefer the new arrangement to the old. For me it's much easier to follow a dragon's progeny through the generations and I like the fact that they're arranged by age.

They aren't arranged by age, though. It's mate then age, same as it used to be.

Unless you're talking about progeny's progeny, which I don't know about.

Hmm. Looked like age to me on a quick scroll through.

Could be wrong about that part. Still like the setup.

I was just strolling through looking at the progeny of my alts. It's a lot easier now than it used to be.

Hmm. Looked like age to me on a quick scroll through.

Could be wrong about that part. Still like the setup.

I was just strolling through looking at the progeny of my alts. It's a lot easier now than it used to be.

Can you specify how so?

Personally I find it incredibly cluttered and aggravating without mate seperation and with the mate name repeated dozens of times, so I'm curious what you're finding attractive in it and if there's a way to reconcile the two. I mean, my way or your way all the information is the same, it's just how it's organized (and as stated above I think it could use clearer, less repetitive organizing, haha)

I'm a little ambivalent about the change. At the very least, the ability to hide children again should be there. It's still organized by mate, just slightly less obviously. I do like the way the children are organized across the page in columns, and hope that aspect can be kept if we go back to a more distinct grouping by mate. Very long lists of children are more compact, and I like that.

How about adding an option in the account -> Account settings? There could be a 'progeny view' formatting toggle to appease both parties.

I'm not a programmer so I don't know how much of a pain that would be to code, though I suspect it is similar to having multiple skins; and the two halves (new progeny and old progeny) already exist. Offline/no account visitors to a progeny page would see the new version, as well as those set to 'offspring first' (or checkmark off); while those set to 'mate first' (or checkmark on) could see the old version.

Please. I have so much support for this. ESPECIALLY on mobile! I can't just search for a name to find something on mobile like I can on a regular computer. Maybe it loads a little faster (not enough that I have noticed), but it increases the time it takes to find an offspring or mate by quite a bit.

Ugh, the more I use the new progeny page the more frustrated I get. It's just too hard to find things now with all the dragons smushed together. I'm ALWAYS searching for things based on the parent, and it's hard to do that when the parents aren't distinct! sad.gif Not to mention it's so excessively cluttered and redundant right now on top of being harder to navigate... blerghhh...

Case in point that just happened: trying to find a 3g shimmer I bred to see if I already had a mate for it. Parents aren't distinct, so takes me a while to find the parent I need. THEN it's hard to figure out WHICH dragon I own, because while I can tell by the name, the names blend together with the parent name and see children texts, which are also underlined links, making the names hard to distinguish at a glance... it all just blurs together horribly. sad.gif

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Yes please.

I was actually going to search and see if others felt the same way about this. Im glad Im not the only one. I really prefer the way it used to be since I think it was much neater and simple than this new one...

Plz ignore the obviously painted in text:

user posted image

--->

user posted image

> Make mates distinct, with large, center set text stating their name (just like the original dragon has)

> Add thumbnail image of the mate

> Mates are offset beneath, in order of birth

> Remove other parent name (duh)

> Make offspring evenly spaced (oops, forgot to do this in the example...)

> Maybe center text for dragons with no names and move it up to fit progeny link for those with children? Or maybe always keep the name raised, so it's consistent?

> Maybe remove name links (the pictures already link to them anyway, and it makes them less distinct from the see children link... although, this one isn't a big deal)

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I support this. I miss being able to see almost at first glance how many (and which) mates the dragon has offspring with. It's hard to see the way the page looks now because there is no design element that appears exactly once per mate.

> Make mates distinct, with large, center set text stating their name (just like the original dragon has)

Yes please.

> Mates are offset beneath, in order of birth

> Remove other parent name (duh)

> Make offspring evenly spaced (oops, forgot to do this in the example...)

> Maybe center text for dragons with no names and move it up to fit progeny link for those with children? Or maybe always keep the name raised, so it's consistent?

> Maybe remove name links (the pictures already link to them anyway, and it makes them less distinct from the see children link... although, this one isn't a big deal)

Yes please! I really like the example you made. It seems so much more straightforward and less confusing.

I don't care so much about what offspring my dragon has, as I do what offspring my dragon has with which mates.

Count me among the people who prefer the chronological order (and was very frustrated with the old layout because it was impossible to see at a glance what was bred in what order).

That said, if people prefer the other arrangement, my dislike for listing progeny by mate isn't actually intense enough that I wouldn't be willing to go back to the old arrangement. I feel people who use the progeny page more than I do (i.e. probably everyone else) should get to say how it works.

I noticed the progeny page has been updated (at least on my end)

Mine has not changed.

Mine has changed, but it's not a reversion back to the old page. New page seems to incorporate some of the suggestions from this thread.

However, I'm not sure what order it's currently displayed in. I thought it might be 'most recent offspring' first, but it's not. Then I checked if it was 'most recently bred with', but it's not that either. So I have no clue what order it's supposedly in.

Not a big deal to me, I was mostly wanting the mates then offspring of that mate back, and we got that. I preferred the vertical list of children myself, but I've seen the likes for the horizontal children, so I guess I can live with that.

So I have to say, Thank you TJ for giving us what we asked for.

Mine is - weird. But I am on St Pat's. It IS a lot better now, I must agree. More useful.

Mine has changed, but it's not a reversion back to the old page. New page seems to incorporate some of the suggestions from this thread.

However, I'm not sure what order it's currently displayed in. I thought it might be 'most recent offspring' first, but it's not. Then I checked if it was 'most recently bred with', but it's not that either. So I have no clue what order it's supposedly in.

Not a big deal to me, I was mostly wanting the mates then offspring of that mate back, and we got that. I preferred the vertical list of children myself, but I've seen the likes for the horizontal children, so I guess I can live with that.

So I have to say, Thank you TJ for giving us what we asked for.

Mine hasn't changed yet, but I know in the original progeny layout, mates were sorted by code. Ie if you bred a dragon with (00001), (AAAAA), and (ZZZZZ), they would appear in that order, regardless of who was first or last bred.