angelicdragonpuppy

ANSWERED:Make different mates distinct in progeny list

I think the progeny page would be much more useful (not to mention less redundant) if, rather than having the other parent listed for every offspring, there were distinct separations based on parent.

So instead of the current:

Daughter Y with Dad Bob

Daughter X with Dad Bob

Daughter Z with Dad Bob

Daughter Q with Dad Jimmy

it would be more like the old system of:

Mate: Bob

- Daughter Y

- Daughter X

- Daughter Z

Mate: Jimmy

- Daughter Q

Since the new progeny settings were put into place I've been keeping track of what I'm looking for when I visit a progeny page, and the answer is usually specific mates, either to see if I'd already tried a certain pairing (or even just a certain breed combo), or to find offspring from a pairing I already knew I'd done. The current visually indistinct layout makes it hard to do so--and, again, is very repetitive for dragons who mostly have offspring with just a few mates. If I only breed Miss with Jimmy and Bob, then I don't need to see Jimmy and Bob written 334348 times on the progeny page. It just makes it cluttered.

And... this is kind of a subsuggestion, but if mates are separated out again, perhaps a nice improvement would be to show a picture of the mate and, if it's not CB, the name would be a link to the lineage, as it currently is now.

Thank for starting this, ADP!

I agree pretty much with what ADP said-the page is visually cluttered and repetitive(it wasn't broken, I don't understand why on earth it was "fixed"). Without the "mate breaks" and with dragons that have many mates like this, it's hard to tell, for example, if that first Tinsel is a full sibling to the Whites above, the Monarch below, or neither. I also miss the "See Children" being a toggle.

I'd like for the page to go back to the way it was, with the mate listed once and breaks in between sibling groups, *except* I do like how the (grand)children go sideways, *but* I'd like to see some kind of mate break there, too.

Very much THIS - all of this.

It wasn't broken before - now it kind of is sad.gif

I support this suggestion. Viewing offspring was far easier before, and I'd like that to return.

I don't really understand why it was changed in the first place?

Anyways, I would really appreciate seeing all this implemented.

Agreeing here, I much preferred it the other way. This way is..... really hard to see what's what.

Cheers!

C4.

I agree with the suggestion - and it's not just "let's go back to how things used to be because it's how they used to be". Seeing all offspring listed under their other parent made it easier to spot which went where.

Generally my dragons have more offspring than mates so the new update has made their progeny lists larger (with some of them becoming enormous), and I find myself scrolling more than I used to. I would appreciate if the expand/collapse toggle would come back for pairs with tons of offspring, it's a bit frustrating having to scroll past dozens of kids from an old mate when I'm not interested in seeing them all the time. Worse if the dragon has many old mates each with dozens of offspring.

I like how the grandchildren expand to fill out more of the page - I think they could use some more vertical spacing between each grand kid. When there are many, the lack of spacing makes it look very crowded and it's harder to discern each individual one.

Just a couple things for now, I'm not feeling too sharp so hopefully my explanations are understandable.

I agree with the suggestion - and it's not just "let's go back to how things used to be because it's how they used to be". Seeing all offspring listed under their other parent made it easier to spot which went where.

This, so much. I was trying to find some pairs so I could trade an egg with someone doing the same lineage - and trying to find ones that weren't inbred seemed SO hard. And it used to be ping, done laugh.gif

Oh goodness, YES PLEASE. Progeny pages are a real headache to navigate now for me. sad.gif

I still want progenies to be sorting by mate with each mate highlighted. Support!

Edited by VixenDra

It wasn't broke... why did you 'fix' it?

Sorry, but change for the sake of change is NOT always good. In this instance it is an unmitigated disaster and a total waste of the time you spent doing it.

Please return to the old version of the progeny page. The old original page made sense, was neatly divided and easy to figure out even without any guidelines.

The new Progeny page just looks messy, there's no order to it that I can distinguish and the constant repetition of the same names over and over is ridiculously confusing. Plus, once you 'view children' there's no way to redact it back to not showing the children.. and the page just gets longer and longer, etc. But if the children have children and you click 'view more' you go to a whole different page.. which to me is totally confusing.

Actually - what I would like to know is the REASON for the change ?

If there was a good one, I MIGHT be more supportive, but at the moment I just - can't be sad.gif I cannot see one single solitary advantage to the new layout in use, and the appearance is messy, so looks weren't it, either.

Agreed. I strongly dislike the new way—dragons who have been bred to a lot of different mates have extremely messy and unreadable progeny pages.

I change mates pretty often if they don't breed well together so I usually do 4 breedings and if I get 4 fail eggs I switch mates and if I look at the progeny page now it's so USELESS and MESSY that I have to count and read every single offspring dry.gif

Please back to old layout where everything was in order and more distinguishable sad.gif

+1. I preferred the old layout, which was easy to follow and let me easily follow lineages that went off my scroll without going to a different page.

It wasn't broke... why did you 'fix' it?

I agree with this sentiment. There are a number of other things on DC that could use little tweaks but this really wasn't one of them and I don't think anyone was unhappy with the old system.

Edited by irrelevantindigo

100% agreed. The change is terrible and there's nothing good to be said about it. The sooner it's gone, the better.

I prefer the old format: mate then its progeny; next mate, its progeny and so on...

This change is giving me a headache i enjoyed looking at progeny pages but now i am afraid that there will be too much input for me at once thrown into my face.

What i want to know if i look at a progeny page:

Who are the mates with offspring for this dragon (be it standard breeding group or pygmy group or drake group or two-headed group)?

How many mates and who are the mates with offspring? (Important for purebred and only one mate for life projects)

Number of children and breed of children!

I like that the list expands sideways and not down for offspring from offspring but the whole new site is confusing. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Tigerkralle

Support for this suggestion. I did give the new layout a try with an open mind, but it was much easier for me to make sense of the progeny pages when offspring was grouped by mate, as before. The new layout is cluttered and confusing, and I'd prefer a switch back to the old progeny page.

I'm going to be that one person who doesn't support this. I actually like the new layout mostly because I'm on mobile (I don't know why others hate it on mobile) but for me, I find it runs a bit smoother on mobile

If it's limited just to a better loading speed on slower devices then it's definitely not worth the messy and unpractical sorting...

I bet that with sorting by mate there must also be a way to achieve an improved loading speed if specifically aimed at. Speed of code load, as far as I understood, depends on the code's type, messyness, and amount of data, not necessarily on how the effect looks for the user. I may be wrong but the new sorting feels like it's recoded insead of just twaking of the old, Vamps' new progeny that is now transfered to breeding dragons, doesn't even sort chronologically (while the previous progeny defiitely did)... perhaps this time TJ made a better organised code or used a quicker loading type of code which now he could use to make the progenies sort by mate. I only heard some bits abotu coding and never touched this myself though and I'm not really understanding what I'm talking about but I still kinda believe it's not the messy visuals we now got that imporved the loading speed for you...

I'm going to be that one person who doesn't support this. I actually like the new layout mostly because I'm on mobile (I don't know why others hate it on mobile) but for me, I find it runs a bit smoother on mobile

I play on mobile the majority of the time and notice no difference beyond the frustration of finding things sad.gif