The Evil Doer

April 1 event Poll

Did you enjoy the April 1 prank?  

308 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not gonna lie, if my April Fools Mints disappear I'm gonna be hella salty xd.png I mean, it does make sense for them to do so and I took this possibility into account while trading, but yeah. Took quite some hassle and effort to get them.

Though at this point it does seem unlikely to me that they'll go poof, because it's been days since April Fool's so it's getting a little too late for this.

If upside down sprites do stay, I think the best thing to do about the situation would be to make them breed true or drop a rare 'alt' upside down Mint version in the cave to distribute more of them and, in case of a CaveBorn version, help regular Mints move faster in the biomes.

You haven't spoiled it, I would be much happier if that were the truth.

You just asked why it shouldn't be equally "unfair" to me - the suggestion was that I wouldn't be OK with that. But I would. Is all biggrin.gif

Though whoever picks up the ones my April Fool eggs BRED (I APd them - I was testing coppers) might be a bit peeved !

Edited by fuzzbucket

You just asked why it shouldn't be equally "unfair" to me - the suggestion was that I wouldn't be OK with that. But I would. Is all biggrin.gif

There was no hidden suggestion, I meant exactly what was written, you merely interpreted it as having some other meaning.

I'm not 100% neutral, but neither sad nor happy, so I clicked neutral anyway. I got eaten and couldn't find an April 1 Mint in the AP, so I have none, but I don't have really strong feelings about that.

I'm just sort of confused because I have no idea what TJ was thinking, especially if the Mints stay upside down. (I don't mean "omg what was he thinking!", but just literally, what were his thoughts?)

For the moment, my theory still is that the upside-down Mints will turn normal tomorrow, and that the idea was "there can be no drama over ***ing Mint dragons that are flipped upside down for a week", and that the "cave" location was an oversight (or possibly an underestimation of the value people would see in that).

So if there are still upside-down Mints tomorrow, then this confused cat is just going to be a little bit more confused. tongue.gif

They aren't going to disappear, people. We've had them this long, and they're laying eggs. They aren't going poof. The only thing that might happen at this point is they flip back to normal, but odds of that by this point seem mintiscule.

I voted happy. I thought it was a good prank. Speculating about what would happen was fun. Staying up late to see if hatchlings remained upside down was fun. The posts with other flipped sprites are hilarious. Have y'all seen the upside down Pillow dragon? I'll never look at them the same way...

I got eaten by the dragon,

after I did the right thing and kept quiet.

I sat there thinking "what just happened?"

I was pissed off.

I didn't get an upside-down mint,

a right-side up mint,

a balloon of any kind.

I got nothing, zip, squat, nil, nothing.

I was pissed off.

I voted "happy"

because it was a good prank.

I'm still not sure what happened

or if I could have changed the outcome.

But it was a good prank.

Happy! The prisoner's dilemma was a cool idea (and no, I didn't get a "special" egg). It's also a good idea to leave some things to chance/have the risk of not winning (that's what makes it a game).

I voted happy. Sure I got the upsiedownsie and then my hub gifted me his so I'd have a pair, but for cryin' out loud April Fool's Day is a PRANKSTER day, not some sweet little oh here's a goodie for just existing day. Have NEVER understood the trophy for just showing up mentality, even for little kids. The way people reacted for this 'event' shows just why the trophy for just breathing is not a good teaching apparatus. Those precious little dears don't learn how to deal with real life.

Truest words have never been spoken, I sure hope you've taught your kids that life is unfair and that it's all about luck, they will sure know how to deal with life with a smile on, super glad you and your hubby got mints for your hard work, I mean it's not like you got them just for showing up in the cave or smth rolleyes.gif

I voted happy because I think for April Fool, the game was fun and nicely executed. I wouldn't have imagined something like upside down mints hatching from the prize egg, I just thought it was a fake egg like the Easter ones and was planning to abandon it later but then I realized they hatch too. My only thoughts were the game was too short for me to even realize what happened but I can live with that, since I don't particularly enjoy the lengthy holiday events.

I voted happy panda, less because of the fact that I did get an egg, but because I felt the prank worked well as a joke. I mean, I feel Mints (and possibly Balloons) get looked over a lot, and what did you have during all this? People willing to give away CB rares for them. People HUNTING for Mints and Balloons. I thought that was a clever joke--turning what people think of as "rare" on its head. (Also, I was up at midnight leading into April Fool's day, and was super tired and confused when the prompt popped up, so that got me too).

I voted meh for this poll. I picked whatever I picked and got a regular mint.

I'm driving 7 hours to a funeral tomorrow. Cartoon pixels of dragons aren't something that I'm dedicating a lot of neurons to thinking about.

I voted sad, if only for all the people who wanted to participate but didn't get a chance to. Otherwise I'm pretty neutral on this event.

I voted neutral. If anything, I'm just surprised that the sprites stayed flipped. I was pretty sure they'd revert when they grew up. mellow.gif

25% of users got a special dragon that no one else can ever get. Yes, I get that it's only an upside down common dragon, and only visible on the view page, but it's still a special one of a kind dragon. Reminds me of the ill received and quickly redacted plan to retire rose winged Solstices. Exclusive dragons of ANY form, common or not, stink. Look at how missed Old Pinks and Frills were.

Again I realize an upside down still available common isn't as extreme as any of the other mentioned cases, but again. Annoying. Flipping all the sprites on everyone's scrolls would've been funny and not left anyone missing out.

It also feels like people who thought they were playing against other real people and chose to be nice got penalized... (and it wasn't a crazy assumption to make--the snow fort event from a while ago did--could've happened again)

Eh I'll stop there but. Yah, I'm bummed. Maybe they'll still flip back and show us all wailing for nothing but 1) enough dumb things have happened on DC before that I can see it going either way and 2) as I said elsewhere, at this point flipping them back would disappoint as many people as it relieves.

I voted happy. Sure I got the upsiedownsie and then my hub gifted me his so I'd have a pair, but for cryin' out loud April Fool's Day is a PRANKSTER day, not some sweet little oh here's a goodie for just existing day. Have NEVER understood the trophy for just showing up mentality, even for little kids. The way people reacted for this 'event' shows just why the trophy for just breathing is not a good teaching apparatus. Those precious little dears don't learn how to deal with real life.

Games =/= real life

I play games to avoid the inherent unfairness of real life, not embrace it.

Suggesting everyone's who bummed they missed out on a special dragon is a snowflake incapable of surviving in the real world is not a valid comparison.

Jeez, it's just a friggin' Mint that's just flipped upside down. It's not like a CB Gold or something super extra special shiny, just a common-as-dirt dragon that has a mildly amusing sprite that you can only see if you just somehow happen to click that particular dragon and view its page. Simple as that, and so many people get so salty about it.

I voted neutral because that's what I think about April Fools in general. The event itself was pretty okay. Stumbled upon it when I went to do some cave hunting, didn't really think much of it and randomly decided to blame the other person, expecting absolutely nothing of it. Sure, I got my upside-down Mint, but then I just kinda forgot about it. Didn't even bother to get a mate for it because it's just a common dragon.

It's just a silly April Fools prank. Not worth crying for.

And now someone's probably going to scream at me for being "priviledged" to own a supposedly "super special awesome" dragon. It's not a friggin' CB Prize or anything, not a dragon-shaped money printer. rolleyes.gif

Like I posted in the other thread, I don't see how anyone can consider this event well-designed, executed, or even very fun. You click a button and you're done-- the outcome is made for you, no real effort is needed, there's no sudden twists out of nowhere or hidden surprises behind the one exclusive dragon. There's nothing other than the special egg you may or may not have gotten.

It's just boring... it doesn't even feel like a real prank. No wool was being pulled over anyone's eyes, here; it's a one-time slot machine. There's a hundred different things that could've been done to make things more interesting, interactive, and inclusive... give every Mint on site a BSA that temporarily flips sprites. Have some dragons flipped, some backwards, some with inverted colors, maybe a few donning old holiday costumes, tiny 8-bit sprite replacements, every dragon lays chicken eggs that hatch normally. Egg sprites are scrambled, leaving the community to figure out what's what. Dragon names in Wingdings font.

I'm not going to settle for subpar effort and poor design choices when I know things could be done more creatively, more interesting and fun. I'm going to post my opinions, my suggestions and critique, because without that kind of feedback how can anything be bettered for the future? And I want things to be better, I want to see more people enjoying events and having fun and not feeling left out. I don't think wanting that is a bad thing.

People can groan about being tired of what they perceive as 'drama' all they want, but it's just painting a negative name to something that should never, ever be discouraged in a community or buisness. Everyone should feel able to post their feedback and views, regardless of what it is.

People can groan about being tired of what they perceive as 'drama' all they want, but it's just painting a negative name to something that should never, ever be discouraged in a community or buisness. Everyone should feel able to post their feedback and views, regardless of what it is.

I agree with your post but there's a huge difference between legitimate feedback (even if its poorly worded/rude) and people bullying/shaming/guilt tripping people who got things they didn't or people who are reasonably upset about the event (AKA drama).

Feedback is great and people should always leave it, even though TJ doesn't really seem to care about feedback and Suggestions and all of that. But being a jerk to fellow users and causing drama over something none of us had any control over? Childish and unnecessary.

I agree with your post but there's a huge difference between legitimate feedback (even if its poorly worded/rude) and people bullying/shaming/guilt tripping people who got things they didn't or people who are reasonably upset about the event (AKA drama).

Feedback is great and people should always leave it, even though TJ doesn't really seem to care about feedback and Suggestions and all of that. But being a jerk to fellow users and causing drama over something none of us had any control over? Childish and unnecessary.

I don't disagree. Even the part about suggestions seemingly falling on deaf ears, but meh-- I'll keep trying, unless I'm on airport wifi that charges per minute 'cause then you're all on your own.

Like I posted in the other thread, I don't see how anyone can consider this event well-designed, executed, or even very fun. You click a button and you're done-- the outcome is made for you, no real effort is needed, there's no sudden twists out of nowhere or hidden surprises behind the one exclusive dragon. There's nothing other than the special egg you may or may not have gotten.

It's just boring... it doesn't even feel like a real prank. No wool was being pulled over anyone's eyes, here; it's a one-time slot machine. There's a hundred different things that could've been done to make things more interesting, interactive, and inclusive... give every Mint on site a BSA that temporarily flips sprites. Have some dragons flipped, some backwards, some with inverted colors, maybe a few donning old holiday costumes, tiny 8-bit sprite replacements, every dragon lays chicken eggs that hatch normally. Egg sprites are scrambled, leaving the community to figure out what's what. Dragon names in Wingdings font.

I'm not going to settle for subpar effort and poor design choices when I know things could be done more creatively, more interesting and fun. I'm going to post my opinions, my suggestions and critique, because without that kind of feedback how can anything be bettered for the future? And I want things to be better, I want to see more people enjoying events and having fun and not feeling left out. I don't think wanting that is a bad thing.

Honestly I wish ALL sprites had been flipped upside down. People were flipping a few for fun in the other April 1st thread and some of them look hilarious. A few even look cooler than the right way up! X'D

This.

Tbph, the most fun I had during the whole thing was the last bit of the other thread where everyone was flipping sprites. It definitely gave me some much needed good laughs.

I voted bad (chose to say nothing and got nothing, for reference). I don't like April Fools in general, and it's even worse when a prank like this has permanent effects. Communication between the mods and players is important, especially in a game like DC where a lot of people are playing to collect every sprite and need information on every release's availability, and "it's just a joke" isn't really a justification for bad communication.

Sure, it's "just a mint", but by that metric every dragon on this site is "just a few pixels". It's fine if you enjoyed it/didn't mind/found it funny/whatever, I just don't think anyone has the right to tell anyone else they shouldn't be upset, since our priorities are all different.

I didn't like the event myself. I haven't got much else to say, as I wouldn't like to turn my opinion into a discussion within itself.

This thinking goes both ways, just like some people might shame people for getting things others shame people for complaining about them as well. One group of people has at least some reason to do so as if the event is permanent they will have forever missed out on something, regardless of how insignificant it may seem, the other group just wants to keep their newfound prize special. Honestly, I have yet to see any actual real shaming occur.

This thinking goes both ways, just like some people might shame people for getting things others shame people for complaining about them as well. One group of people has at least some reason to do so as if the event is permanent they will have forever missed out on something, regardless of how insignificant it may seem, the other group just wants to keep their newfound prize special. Honestly, I have yet to see any actual real shaming occur.

There was lots of shaming/guilt tripping/anger towards users (not TJ, not the event, not missing out) on the "Blame" thread.