The Evil Doer

April 1 event Poll

Did you enjoy the April 1 prank?  

308 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I just feel like it was a poorly designed event. Especially considering (please correct if wrong but I'm pretty sure I saw sock confirm it) that early on there was a glitch that let people get multiple eggs, even multiple upside-down eggs.

We should have all been able to re-do the event until we got one egg. The upside down ones are the ones worth more - what on earth would be the harm in letting everyone have one egg anyway? There are so many mints out there that are already "cave" (granted, not from 2017 but whatever).

Not to mention the Balloons. Why did they happen? Why couldn't the "eaten" outcome have been even just a badge?

You can't blame the players for getting what they got out of a poorly designed event. No one cheated the system or is in the wrong for getting multiples at the beginning, no one deserves to be shamed for what they got.

The event's construction itself is what needs to be shamed here. It's not like a raffle event; April Fool's day is a holiday to many people. Can you imagine the uproar if Valentine's, Halloween, or Christmas dragons were obtained in such a way? April Fool's day is for celebrating the spirit of jokes and fun as much as Valentine's Day is for love... so why can't we all be in on the fun?

It just baffles me that it would happen this way.

I voted happy because I'm generally happy about this extra event. I'm not going to discuss whether it was fair or not (it probably wasn't).

I missed the entire thing because there was no announcement, and April Fools Day isn't such a big deal in my country, so I simply forgot. I realized something's going on when I checked the trade threads on April 3rd, and then I decided to take the risk of the mints flipping back to normal, and traded some real goodies for them. Would I be bummed if they flipped back? Not really, but I'm very happy they didn't. When I noticed them, the prices were high already, but I heard it wasn't so hard to get them at the beginning. Oh well. There must have been some surplus because I actually managed to get them.

ETA: Would I be bummed if I didn't get any? Yes, I definitely would.

Edited by lorimmel

It's not like a raffle event; April Fool's day is a holiday to many people. Can you imagine the uproar if Valentine's, Halloween, or Christmas dragons were obtained in such a way? April Fool's day is for celebrating the spirit of jokes and fun as much as Valentine's Day is for love... so why can't we all be in on the fun?

April Fool's day is hardly a holiday; it's a time for pranks. Quite often nasty things happen on Hallowe'en too, even given the treats you can get along with the tricks. That's all a part of it.

But April Fool's isn't even the kind of holiday where anyone gives anyone else anything or celebrates or has a party; I can't see why people expect it to be love, light and joy - I REALLY can't.

April Fool's day is hardly a holiday; it's a time for pranks. Quite often nasty things happen on Hallowe'en too, even given the treats you can get along with the tricks. That's all a part of it.

But April Fool's isn't even the kind of holiday where anyone gives anyone else anything or celebrates or has a party; I can't see why people expect it to be love, light and joy - I REALLY can't.

I'm just saying that all the other holiday dragons are released in huge amounts.

If you look up April Fools' day anywhere, it will be referred to as a "celebration" or a "holiday," whether you agree with that or not it is a holiday by definition.

You make a good point that Halloween can often be about tricks as well... but that just furthers my point because Halloween dragons are given out in huge amounts as well.

It seems like other years when there WAS a release to be had (I wasn't personally here for them), such as with the unhatching eggs, everyone had an equal opportunity to get what they wanted.

If this was an event like a raffle it would be different. But this is a holiday event with something being offered. Every other holiday (well, mostly, since I know someone will bring up the alt sweetlings because they can rolleyes.gif ) the dragon of the holiday is given out in copious amounts. And this time it wasn't and it's even sillier... because there's nothing even really special about the "cave" mints nor the balloons. Other holidays have very special, exclusive dragons and everyone gets two! And this holiday most people (I'd wager to say a majority) didn't even get one.

It just... doesn't seem right? This wasn't a lottery this wasn't a raffle this wasn't a joke release where everything went *poof*, these are real dragons that will stay in the game forever.

I'm just saying it seems weird that they would do it like this.

For the moment, my theory still is that the upside-down Mints will turn normal tomorrow, and that the idea was "there can be no drama over ***ing Mint dragons that are flipped upside down for a week", and that the "cave" location was an oversight (or possibly an underestimation of the value people would see in that).

So if there are still upside-down Mints tomorrow, then this confused cat is just going to be a little bit more confused.  tongue.gif

... Huh.

They are still upside down.

I guess I need to think of a new theory to make this comprehensible/logical.

Or, you know, you could just accept it as it is? Not everything needs logic.

To be fair, an admin's decisions about their website generally have some logic behind them, otherwise it would be a bit of a problem. I think Confused Cat is trying to comprehend TJ's angle because it seems doomed to cause problems considering this site's history. An event where you have one shot at a special sprite (yes, it's just a mint and has no impact on lineages, but the very fact that most people are so glad to have an upside down mint proves they have collector's value) based on pure chance? It doesn't make any sense to me either, both because it's a recipe for drama, and because it's only a prank on half of the DC population who got nothing.

Edit: Technically it would be more than half since not everyone noticed the event.

Edited by MissK.

By this logic, no one should have gotten any eggs. Because people were given (or not given) something based on their choices.

I chose not to say anything because I assumed there really was no egg to be had and that I was playing against a real user. I was also under the assumption that since there was an event with a prompt, the special egg was going to be a badge. As the saying "when you assume..." goes... Well.

All of my decisions were made long before I ever even discovered a thread...And then people posting about glitches gave false hope that this really was going to be an event where everyone got something.

Edit: phone typos.

Edited by Jazeki

Honestly I wish ALL sprites had been flipped upside down. People were flipping a few for fun in the other April 1st thread and some of them look hilarious. A few even look cooler than the right way up! X'D

I like that idea. I'd have loved to see all of our dragons upside down for a day.

I voted happy in the poll, though, for mostly selfish reasons - I got the upside down mint and I admit I was lucky, so I was happy. I do wish everyone had gotten one, though.

I was eaten up, so I got nothing. Bummed for sure but not unhappy about it. I would like to have one if anyone has one hanging around! laugh.gif

I loved the concept but now that it's over, I think everyone who participated should get an upside down mint (if those are staying around). Maybe an upside down hatchling in the events icon bar at the top of our scroll to show we were there?

Trying to decide now if I should bother keeping my right-side-up mint since I only want 2 adults of each gender per breed sprite on my scroll. Net neutral at this point I guess.

Edited by Awdz Bodkins

*looks at poll* Wow, I didn't expect the community to be this divided over the whole ordeal. I voted neutral. I'm kinda bummed that I didn't get a Mint, but I'm not super upset.

By this logic, no one should have gotten any eggs. Because people were given (or not given) something based on their choices.

I chose not to say anything because I assumed there really was no egg to be had and that I was playing against a real user. I was also under the assumption that since there was an event with a prompt, the special egg was going to be a badge. As the saying "when you assume..." goes... Well.

All of my decisions were made long before I ever even discovered a thread...And then people posting about glitches gave false hope that this really was going to be an event where everyone got something.

Edit: phone typos.

I assumed I was playing against - nothing - but I did also assume the eggs would poof. Given all the hostility about them, I kind of wish they still would.

But - it IS just a mint, when all's said and done. I'd like to see it morph into a badge actually.

(I'd get a spam warning if I replied with a Spock gif here, wouldn't I...? tongue.gif )

I know I can't expect logic everywhere when human beings are involved, but even an illogical decision would have a reason.

... I was going to say I'm just curious, then I remembered "curiosity killed the..." oops. laugh.gif

Still. I don't like unsolved mysteries.

I've been on the other side of situations like this, knowing a site admin's reasons for decisions that seemed mysterious to the users.

Now I'm on the "user" side and stuck with the mystery that is TJ's brain. (I hope this is not getting creepy. I swear I don't want to eat your brain, TJ.)

I liked the event itself, but the way the Mints were given out...not the best idea. I was eaten and didn't get a second chance once I knew what was going on. If everyone had gotten that result or if the Mints had disappeared/flipped, it would have been a good prank. But giving some users exclusive sprites and others nothing? That's only fun for some.

However, I love the right side up Mint that I was able to trade for. None of my other dragons are from the cave (or were born on April 1st), so even though she isn't crawling all over the ceiling, she's still one of my "special" dragons.

Maybe this is why TJ stopped raffles...nothing he could do, even with a raffle, could make anyone happy around here...to me, this was just like the raffle-I had one chance-got eaten...was I sad, yes-likely tho, I would have traded one off had I gotten it right then.

I also haven't seen lucky winners do anything but be super excited, and rightly so, that they have won...I have seen far more sour grapes over those who didn't win....again reminds me of the lottery. I know if I had ever been lucky enough to win a prize dragon, I wouldn't have said a thing on the forums just because of this.

Everything TJ does on this game can't ever make 100% of the player's happy 100% of the time. There will always be someone unhappy with something.

And we will always be left wondering what he is thinking-lol

I got lucky and found a very reasonable trade for one. Had I not...meh...I would have lived.

I voted neutral...personally i don't see April fools as a real holiday-its a prank day-its nothing like Halloween, Christmas or Valentines Day.

Past years pranks have been pretty good-I really was looking forward to a dino cave-lol!

I really liked it and thought it was quite fun. But I wish the flipped mints would have been able to breed other flips for those who missed out.

I assumed I was playing against - nothing - but I did also assume the eggs would poof. Given all the hostility about them, I kind of wish they still would.

But - it IS just a mint, when all's said and done. I'd like to see it morph into a badge actually.

I meant I made an ass of myself for assuming. laugh.gif We'll agree to disagree on it being just a mint.

@pixiezbite-If this was a dry run for the return of raffles, it's clear they'll probably never come back. Although, knowing instantaneously I didn't win is much better than waiting months.

@pixiezbite-If this was a dry run for the return of raffles, it's clear they'll probably never come back. Although, knowing instantaneously I didn't win is much better than waiting months.

I admit my heart raced for a second when I saw that we could win a egg...my first thought was prize dragon.

Just a thought: If anyone is working on lineages with Mints and metallics, now might be the time to actually *get* metallics, with the sudden influx of Mints in an amount of at least half the active playerbase and plenty of prank breedings as well. Ratio fixings!

Now I'm on the "user" side and stuck with the mystery that is TJ's brain. (I hope this is not getting creepy. I swear I don't want to eat your brain, TJ.)

I'm sure TJ had his reasons for this which makes me glad.he hasn't said anything yet. Not like I would criticize him for anything about this event because:

I had one chance, got an upside down egg, and I killed it. I did manage to get another from a normal cave mint, something I was foolishly lucky on. What me was that people who had multiples were trading for CB golds, neglected, 2nd gen prizes. Things half the people who were eaten couldn't get.

But at the end of the day, it's just a game, it's just something we can leave for days at a time and come back to. Just little sprites on a screen, nothing special.

I really liked it and thought it was quite fun. But I wish the flipped mints would have been able to breed other flips for those who missed out.

You never know, they might breed flipped mints next April Fools.

I admit my heart raced for a second when I saw that we could win a egg...my first thought was prize dragon.

I thought we were going to get the gold egg we supposedly stole and that was the joke. Since TJ said eggs would never spontaneously appear and we would never be given golds. But it was replaced with mints and balloons which are, at the end of the day, "worthless commons."

I understand the joke...just poorly executed.

@Amazon- That's true. It could have been referring to the gold, but the reward was an egg. I also said in an earlier post that I thought that we really weren't going to get anything. And the egg was going to be a badge.

Edited by Jazeki

I thought we were going to get the gold egg we supposedly stole and that was the joke. Since TJ said eggs would never spontaneously appear and we would never be given golds. But it was replaced with mints and balloons which are, at the end of the day, "worthless commons."

I understand the joke...just poorly executed.

In fairness, it never said Gold eggs - just gold. I assumed gold coins from the dragon's hoard.

ETA: Interesting to see just how perfect the split between the three poll options is...

Edited by Amazon_warrior

I'm neutral. The results didn't matter much one way or another.