The Evil Doer

April 1 event Poll

Did you enjoy the April 1 prank?  

308 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Neutral!

The only reason I'm a little sad I didn't get one was because I easily could've traded for my first CB gold lol tongue.gif

In any case, though, they're cute & I'm glad the people who got them are happy with them.

I put sad because I didn't get an egg (I was under the assumption that if I picked the keep quiet , we'd both get an egg no matter what.) Also because I feel like people were getting really defensive over their eggs that they got, and some people got kinda mean about it to those who were either talking about how they were upset, or just complaining. (Can understand complaining, but for those who were just upset and wanted to talk, i feel like they were made to feel bad that they were upset)

I voted neutral. (Disclaimer: got a regular mint). I suppose that is the way with April Fool's jokes - some work and some don't.

Lets have some history on April 1st...

2010 - No pranks, Mod Mayhem happened. GoN and Gold sprite updates weren't announced.

In point of facts GoN's were introduced on March 26th that year, NOT April Fool's. The very oldest news thread left - the oldest that wasn't hit by the news deletion accident - has posts from people whose GoN eggs were hatching on 29th March.

https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=86842

Just saying, as I am aware there is an error in the wiki.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Not sure if I'm allowed to give an extra two cents to the pile, but I'm feeling generous, lolz.

I feel like I should clear up that I'm not upset about the whole thing. I do think it was totally unfair and while yes it was a prank and you can't always get what you want, I do feel it could have been handled better (ie. EVERYONE should have felt the prank, not just those who got eaten; that was more like a gamble, to me). It reminds me of the Halloween Contagion event. I was on the Contagion side and all of the disease spreaders had the rug pulled out from under them near the end of the event. It was total disappointment and most of the Cure spreaders felt bad as well. In the end it's just a game and like a lot of people are saying...Mints are a very common breed so I didn't get anything truly special.

Voted sad. Got my regular (caveborn though) Mint by staying silent, and I don't think that's nice April Fools joke at all. If everyone got a regular Mint, or everyone got some upside down cave blocker dragon, it'll be much better and more fair. Or it could have been just a little RPG-style funny game like the one for Valentine 2017 with the badge for all players in the end. Honestly anything would be better than this. Yup, I'm salty xd.png

Not sure if I'm allowed to give an extra two cents to the pile, but I'm feeling generous, lolz.

I feel like I should clear up that I'm not upset about the whole thing. I do think it was totally unfair and while yes it was a prank and you can't always get what you want, I do feel it could have been handled better (ie. EVERYONE should have felt the prank, not just those who got eaten; that was more like a gamble, to me). It reminds me of the Halloween Contagion event. I was on the Contagion side and all of the disease spreaders had the rug pulled out from under them near the end of the event. It was total disappointment and most of the Cure spreaders felt bad as well. In the end it's just a game and like a lot of people are saying...Mints are a very common breed so I didn't get anything truly special.

Bolded the part that I'm refering to.

I just realised this is what has been bugging me as well, I usually enjoy April Fool's pranks on various websites because they affect people uniformly, and everyone can have a good laugh about it. In this case it felt like a prank on the 50% who got eaten, a surprise on those who got a regular cave mint, and a more unique surprise on those who got an upside down mint. It's not the end of the world of course, and I thought all the flavour text was very amusing, but it really wasn't what I expected.

Voted sad -- I had some fun but overall I thought the event was poorly executed and unfair.

It is clearly something special, and telling people who missed out that it's not isn't going to make anyone feel better. If it was just a mint, people wouldn't be stalking the AP, wouldn't be asking for golds, wouldn't be keeping the eggs at all. It's special, the drama over it has proven that.

I didn't have an issue with encouraging blaming people because it is a classic dilemma and it's a holiday about being mischievous anyway. But I think we all should have gotten something. Yes, I know that's not how the dilemma goes. But it's a game. There's no harm in allowing multiple attempts.

As it was with most previous holidays, I think there should have been some sort of compensation or reward for people who participated, even if it was just a badge.

But I really don't think it would have ruined anything to let everyone who was there get an upside down mint.

I think people have been shaming and accusatory on both sides. Certainly a lot of negative generalization going on.

Bolded the part that I'm refering to.

I just realised this is what has been bugging me as well, I usually enjoy April Fool's pranks on various websites because they affect people uniformly, and everyone can have a good laugh about it. In this case it felt like a prank on the 50% who got eaten, a surprise on those who got a regular cave mint, and a more unique surprise on those who got an upside down mint. It's not the end of the world of course, and I thought all the flavour text was very amusing, but it really wasn't what I expected.

Agreed. It doesn't really feel like a good prank when only a few people get pranked and the rest get a surprise.

I still feel like a badge would have been best, rather than actual eggs. Now there's a good prank for ya, making you think you might get an egg but you just get an egg badge! :V

Happy panda here. Was the event the fairest thing in the world? No, but neither was the raffle! Neither is gold and silver hunting, especially when you consider different internet speeds. Neither is GoN summoning (I got one on the 2nd try, while some people wait over a year for theirs!).

Not everything in DC is going to be 100% fair, and people need to realize that. It's not going to be a "everyone can have everything" thing, DC is just not like that. I liked the event because it was whimsical and fun and I didn't know what the heck was going on, but I blamed the other person and got an upside-down egg and I'm very happy with it. I don't care about the "cave" designation or even the fact that it's upside-down, and I would still be happy with my mint if it turned rightside-up. I enjoyed the game, the fun feeling of it, that's all.

Happy panda here. Was the event the fairest thing in the world? No, but neither was the raffle! Neither is gold and silver hunting, especially when you consider different internet speeds. Neither is GoN summoning (I got one on the 2nd try, while some people wait over a year for theirs!).

Not everything in DC is going to be 100% fair, and people need to realize that. It's not going to be a "everyone can have everything" thing, DC is just not like that. I liked the event because it was whimsical and fun and I didn't know what the heck was going on, but I blamed the other person and got an upside-down egg and I'm very happy with it. I don't care about the "cave" designation or even the fact that it's upside-down, and I would still be happy with my mint if it turned rightside-up. I enjoyed the game, the fun feeling of it, that's all.

I knew I liked you ! (and it took me THREE YEARS of regular summons to get my first GoN !)

Life isn't fair - and sure, we come here to escape life - but even so....

I voted neutral. I can see, understand and agree with the points that were raised by both sides, but I don't really lean towards either side. In addition to this, I have generally felt pretty "meh" about the whole event (no huge emotional investment or anything like that), so all in all, I don't really have strong feelings about it and thus I felt that "neutral" was the best option for me to vote.

In case it might matter for people to know: I chose to say nothing when I was faced with the dilemma on April Fool's Day, and my silence was rewarded with a right-side up Mint egg. I kept my egg, even though I've never been fond of Mints and as a result had none of them on my scroll before all of this. But once I learned that it was possible to hunt for April Fool's Mints in the AP, I figured I'd go and get mine a mate, which I did. At some point I decided to get a few more Mints, with the idea that these will be the only Mints that I will ever have on my scroll (and it's nice to have those only ones be a little bit more special than the regular Mints). I caught some in the AP, the rest I traded for - all of which was hard and time-consuming work, but it paid off in the end and now I'm done with Mints forever. All of them are right-side up Mints, by the way - it proved to be impossible for me personally to get an upside-down Mint or even a Balloon. But I still have a bunch of special Mints and two April Fool's Vampires (one from the AP, the other I got in trade in exchange for a bunch of CB Xenowyrms), so I don't really feel like I've missed out or anything like that. I'm content with what I worked to achieve.

Was the event the fairest thing in the world? No, but neither was the raffle! Neither is gold and silver hunting, especially when you consider different internet speeds. Neither is GoN summoning (I got one on the 2nd try, while some people wait over a year for theirs!).

The raffles stopped, and caused a whole lot of pain while they were around... But the big difference between these things is that golds/silvers/GoNs are ALWAYS available, and that there is always a fighting chance for you to get one. This isn't the case here. --it was a holiday-esque exclusive drop, and chances are we are not going to get the opportunity to get an upside-down Mint again, ever -- but while holiday drops have enough time for everyone to get their eggs, this event had a high failure rate across the board...

Since you are complaining about people who say that the event is not fair, what if all of the eggs you got from the event are removed? Life isn't fair right? So why shouldn't it be unfair to you as well?

Edited by Weregazebo

In my opinion the event was a good one, as are most of the DC events. Not every thing in life is fair, and I for one can not stand the thought that all games should be. Everybody who logged on that day and went to the cave had the same chance of getting an egg, barring the glitch which is to be expected with programming. There were results from our choices, but we all had the same options.

I am grateful for all the events on DC, as they add to the fun. I hope the upheaval after every single one that isn't "fair" or has a bit of a glitch doesn't make them go away.

I voted happy. Sure I got the upsiedownsie and then my hub gifted me his so I'd have a pair, but for cryin' out loud April Fool's Day is a PRANKSTER day, not some sweet little oh here's a goodie for just existing day. Have NEVER understood the trophy for just showing up mentality, even for little kids. The way people reacted for this 'event' shows just why the trophy for just breathing is not a good teaching apparatus. Those precious little dears don't learn how to deal with real life.

Since you are complaining about people who say that the event is not fair, what if all of the eggs you got from the event are removed? Life isn't fair right? So why shouldn't it be unfair to you as well?

I have no idea who you're responding to, as your post seems out of place when I read the thread, but "I wish I could enjoy this event but can't/feel guilty doing so because so many others don't" does not at all seem comparable to a Grinch-y "take ALL the presents away!"

Perhaps I missed something, though. I did just skim posts.

Lets have some history on April 1st...

2009 - Uncatchable eggs that took "too long to respond", no announcement

2010 - No pranks, Mod Mayhem happened. GoN and Gold sprite updates weren't announced.

2011 - Carrot Cave. No announcement. Also second set of colors for Nebs.

2012 - Dino Cave... announcement was part of the prank.

2013 - Biggest Release Ever... with past Festival of Eggs sprites. Announcement part of the prank.

2014 - Dragon Encyclopedia announced. People thought it was prank. TJ said he posted the thing March 31st at 23:59.

2015 - No pranks that year.

2016 - Celestial Dragons. So close to March release and Easter that people were confused if it was prank or not.

And anyone who has been around long enough to know there could be anything on April 1st, even when it isn't announced... please don't use the "there was no announcement" when the track record from TJ is something like that... and especially if you frequent other adoptable sites or sites that do pull pranks every year. Maybe one just looks harder next year or just sets alarm for it.

Not up to me what one does about it, but making others feel sad/angry/guilty is not okay.

Tch... I can already imagine what the horror would have been like if this prank had upside-down golds or silvers...

Actually, there was a prank in 2015. All eggs stolen (not sure about bred) on April !st refused to come out of their shells when they reached the hatching window. (April 3rd) Dealyed prank that year. They were hatched but still eggs. I have a bunch of them

I have no idea who you're responding to, as your post seems out of place when I read the thread, but "I wish I could enjoy this event but can't/feel guilty doing so because so many others don't" does not at all seem comparable to a Grinch-y "take ALL the presents away!"

Perhaps I missed something, though. I did just skim posts.

It was a response to fuzzbucket, I forgot to quote them.

I voted happy. Sure I got the upsiedownsie and then my hub gifted me his so I'd have a pair, but for cryin' out loud April Fool's Day is a PRANKSTER day, not some sweet little oh here's a goodie  for just existing day. Have NEVER understood the trophy for just showing up mentality, even for little kids. The way people reacted for this 'event' shows just why the trophy for just breathing is not a good teaching apparatus. Those precious little dears don't learn how to deal with real life.

I get that the 'everyone gets a medal' mentality is wrong when it comes to a competition of some sort, but this event wasn't a competition. All you had to do is click a button to choose, and there was a chance to get a special exclusive dragon. Ppl who did get upside down Mints got exactly that what you described - 'a trophy for just breathing'. Yeah, it's okay to feel happy about getting a trophy, but the attitude towards the unlucky ones feeling sad like the one shown in your post is just mean imo and not really fair.

I'm with the sad pandas. The dragons themselves? Cool idea, sure, the upside down sprite is awesome. The way they were released? Worst distribution ever for a sprite collecting game.

Just in case, I didn't get anything in the event itself but I did get April Fool's dragons through trades including upside down Mints. Sure I'm really glad to own them and I like them. But the prank itself sucked in my opinion, I guess the ones who get to laugh the most in this situation are those who implemented it.

Edited by Tears in Rain

I personally enjoyed the event! Prisoner's Dilemma in DC? Fun idea!

I honestly had no idea what was going on when I clicked on the biomes and the message popped up. Literally squinted at the screen and said "lolwut". xd.png Checked the forums, didn't see any News announcement and then realized it was April Fool's Day. I decided to be a sneaky jerk (I like to play good-natured April Fool's pranks IRL tongue.gif ). I blamed the other person. Multiple times. Didn't realize it was a 'glitch'. And when I saw the upside-down Mints, figured "oh, this is cute!" and put it out of my mind, thinking they'd return to right-side up once the day had passed. Was super surprised when the hatchlings, and then the adults, stuck to the ceiling!

Making trades, I was expecting the adults to revert to right-side up (like a "Ha you've all been fooled!" long con kinda thing). So when I made an official decision I told the other player that I wouldn't expect the trade to stick if the adults reverted to right-side up. Didn't want the prank to sour an inherently risky trade, after all!

Larger context, I can understand why folks are upset. I like seeing everyone's opinions and this kind of open discussion. But I also personally like how this event played out. I've missed out on plenty of other DC stuff by not being online, not having RNG gods smile upon me, or just being out of the loop. And I've been sad about it for a bit. But I also like the variety of the game. It keeps me coming back. But maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment. ;P

In my defense the game wasn't even Prisoner's Dilemma honestly. The person who blames should always have an advantage over the other person, or at least the same result, which is better than being blamed and not saying anything, yet here either option results in being eaten if blamed.

Edited by Weregazebo

Believe me - if the end of the prank is that the eggs vanish - I would not complain. April Fool's is a gag day. Some of the gags are FAR less pleasant than this has been.

So - sorry to spoil your post, but sure, it can be unfair to me too. That's all a part of it. laugh.gif

Believe me - if the end of the prank is that the eggs vanish - I would not complain. April Fool's is a gag day. Some of the gags are FAR less pleasant than this has been.

So - sorry to spoil your post, but sure, it can be unfair to me too. That's all a part of it. laugh.gif

You haven't spoiled it, I would be much happier if that were the truth.

Totally! I brace myself for the Mints just going *poof* one day. And I laugh, because then the following message would make sense (which you got once you reached egg limit):

"The Dragon’s Dilemma

You can’t participate in this “event’ while at your egg limit.

Don’t worry, you’re not missing out on much. Really. Trust me."

...with that, I figured the eggs would just go back to normal. But even more of a "Gotcha!" if they just vanished. xd.png

Edited by panthera1