TJ09

2017-02-14 - Valentine's Day!

Is this why TJ's hatched so late? To buy time because at that time someone was already frantically spriting a replacement?

I thought the old sprites were nice and clear, with the new ones I'm not quite sure what's going on. But as long as I haven't seen the adult it doesn't really matter anyway. Bring them on happy.gif

Oh what a pity, I really liked the old hatchies.

Let's hope the new ones will grow into a pretty adult at least

Thanks for letting us know what was going on, TJ.

I liked the original sprites better too, but the current ones are still really cute and I'm still eager to see the adults.

Their descriptions have changed from carrying the pearl within their antlers, to with them at all times. I do wonder who sprited these?

I can only assume a credit issue, but still...

e: also, three dragons that look deer-like is not a lot of deer-like dragons when we have so many genericly draconic dragons. They became less unique and less interesting with this change.

I like my dragon cave experience being genericly dragony. I'm all about dragons and stuff.

I love the babies they are cute little nuggets omg ;_; Who did those I need 12

Oh, and apparently I should actually describe why I dislike the new sprites so:

S1 is less dynamic and too stiff, colors are "off" in a way I can't put my finger on, no antlers or pearl on antlers despite it being in the description, proportions are off (head seems much too large for the body; if the attempt was at a baby-ish look, it was a failure), and it is now much more generic-looking.

I can't recall what the original S2 looked like, but the "too generic and no antlers" applies, and the S2 is also difficult to read due to the colors used.

e: Change happened while I wrote this. My position remains: these are not good replacements.

Edited by Guillotine

That's a shame, I really liked the previous sprite. Granted, these ones are just as pretty, but as Guillotine says they look less cervine and more generic dragon now.

Still, I'll reserve judgement for the adults.

Edit; I had only seen the stage 2 hatchlings, just saw the stage 1s after refreshing my own scroll. Umm....yeah. You don't want to know my thoughts. I shall standby what I said, I'll wait for the adults before I decide.

Edited by CharonDusk

Aww. ): Seems like the S2s have so much thicker necks... less elegant and more like the Desipis almost. Squatter. I hope that doesn't translate to the adult.

I understand there's probably not anything anyone could do, though. I assume one or both of the spriters decided they didn't want their art to be on the site.

Regardless, I hope that these aren't necessarily permanent... more time should be allowed because of this unusual situation to offer spriters a chance to release their "perfected" art (unless these were actually done a while ago and not in a rush) even if that were a week or longer, or maybe give other people a chance to make new sprites too.

I just hope we aren't stuck with rushed sprites or anything like that, and that regardless of how they've been done now, they might be updated and polished or even changed dramatically later on. I was really set on something more similar to the originals. D: Pearls being held by antlers is definitely not a concept that only the original spriters came up with.

Wow, this is actually kind of disappointing, I really loved the graceful, deer-like look of the sprite before. A dragon I was looking forward to with eager anticipation has sort of become "meh". I'm sure there is a good reason for why they had to be swapped out, but it's still sad. Hopefully the adults will look cool.

Due to unforeseen circumstances, the released sprites had to be changed. I apologize for any inconvenience that may cause, though thankfully it has no chance to impact lineages, since all dragons are CB and none have bred yet.

Thanks for the update.

I think theyre pretty!! the old sprites were nice but they were kinda plain pose wise d:0 im excited to see the adults!

Edited by Acelizard

We don't even know that there was a change to the adults as well. But they are still pretty.

Is this why TJ's hatched so late? To buy time because at that time someone was already frantically spriting a replacement?

Can't be or the earlier ones would NEVER have appeared at all (they didn't hatch "late" IIRC.) And EEF referred to their work on them in this very thread...

Oddly there are no artist credits on the hatchie page....

Edited by fuzzbucket

I can only assume a credit issue, but still...

e: also, three dragons that look deer-like is not a lot of deer-like dragons when we have so many genericly draconic dragons. They became less unique and less interesting with this change.

There are only one Solstice dragons. tongue.gif The Snows are nice sprites, but.... I can't warm to them because they look too much like Solstices, one of my favorites. I'm all for more variety!

And 3 deer like dragons that are ALL Holidays is a bit much, meh thinks... tongue.gif

Cheers!

C4.

(they didn't hatch "late" IIRC.)

Might've been my impatience waiting for them to hatch that clouds my memory xd.png

Aw, that's a shame. I liked the older sprites very much. Huh, wonder what happened.

There are only one Solstice dragons. tongue.gif The Snows are nice sprites, but.... I can't warm to them because they look too much like Solstices, one of my favorites. I'm all for more variety!

SNOWS LOOK LIKE SOLSTICES ?

ONE of us needs new glasses.... laugh.gif

SNOWS LOOK LIKE SOLSTICES ?

ONE of us needs new glasses.... laugh.gif

The mind works mysteriously. tongue.gif Whenever I look at Snows, I think "male Solstice". tongue.gif Even though we all know that Solstices are not deer.

Cheers!

C4.

Sprite drama! I don't suppose we'll ever find out what happened, or what the adults were going to look like originally.

I like the new S2 hatchlings though. Not sold on the S1s. I don't usually criticize sprites but they look really off to me.

what happened to the old sprites? sad.gif

Replaced, sadly by sprites that are less appealing to me.

But, heh, that's just my opinion.

Edited by jerzeeshadow