Cinnamin Draconna

Larger Release Suggestion

Okay this is hugely relevant, but I was thinking of pre-customization and conversion Neopets -sigh- When they converted things and introduced the concept of Neocash and clothing for your pets, the site just kinda went to -badwordshere- for me and I pretty much quit shortly after that. Even before customization, we didn't get new breeds often. I think the Yurble and the Lutari were pre-NC, but before that, my mind is foggy on if new breeds came out.

I guess the fundamental difference in our approaches is how we feel about the # of breeds that should/could/will be on DC at any given point. I don't see the necessity to have anywhere near 1000 breeds to collect, but that being said, if users continue to submit and TJ continues to release new breeds, that will probably happen. To me, there shouldn't be an infinite # of dragon breeds to collect. Whether that means retiring/discontinuing breeds to "make room for" new ones, i don't know ><

I just feel like at some point, there have to be too many different breeds available that makes it very overwhelming for new players to join. Even when I came back from a few year hiatus, I was like....shocked that the # of dragons I could collect had more than doubled. It's a lot. I still don't have way too many common dragon breeds. Right now, with only metals, neglecteds, and prizes having any sort of trade value (and even for metals, they better be 2G or 3G...), adding a massive influx of new breeds, most common, does nothing for me except make it even more impossible to ever breed anything uncommon or rare again.

mmm It wouldn't be new people that would be overwhelmed but old players honestly. When you're new you already are expecting every egg you pick up to be an egg you've never hatched before. Old players however, feel like they're on top of the game and have full control of it... then if they suddenly feel like they're not an experienced season player because tons of stuff was released while they were on their say 6 month summer hiatus... they'd feel uprooted. I can see what you mean though by too many dragons at once xd.png I /guess/ not even pokemon has that many pokemon to catch in each game (personally I find pokemon to be the best like comparison to DC) and space it out to 100 or so per game...

Honestly as with most problems on DC It's a complex issue that no one person truly has the answer to.

edit: personally though I feel if people think the DR list is too full that a sort of cleansing mega dump of dragons every once in a extremely blue moon would be better than more dragons every month. It took 10 years to get "too many" dragons on DR lists. 1 HUGE dump in the beginning of summer would be better than feeling like you need to be constantly on DC or else you'll miss lots of dragons because of large releases every month or week or whatnot.

Edited by 626lavaheart

edit: personally though I feel if people think the DR list is too full that a sort of cleansing mega dump of dragons every once in a extremely blue moon would be better than more dragons every month. It took 10 years to get "too many" dragons on DR lists. 1 HUGE dump in the beginning of summer would be better than feeling like you need to be constantly on DC or else you'll miss lots of dragons because of large releases every month or week or whatnot.

The recent trimming of the completed list is likely a combination of TJ picking a small number of promising candidates and cutting out a number that either have problems that aren't likely to be fixed (eg. artists have quit or something) or he doesn't want to ever release. It's not like there are hundreds of dragons ready to go at any given time, and releases aren't exactly chosen like names from a hat. The problem with the proposed rapid-fire large releases is the size of the pool of release candidates at any given time. A large release, as you might expect, takes a big bite out of it. The process of releasing a new breed isn't as simple as TJ going "I feel like releasing this one tomorrow". Time needs to pass, artists need to fill out paperwork, testing needs to be done. And on the user end, when there's a large release that is impossible to fill out quickly, it affects slower users in a very negative way.

When fast catchers get their fill, they don't click as many new eggs, and slower users face less competition. Huge releases keep faster players in the race for longer and keep the competition up, putting slower users at a disadvantage as they scramble to pick up whatever is left after the fast people have locked. While competition can be good in some circumstances, I don't think it's wise to place slower users at such a severe disadvantage for an extended period of time. Many would probably just quit if they were made to feel like they had no hope of catching up after months and months of huge releases with no end in sight.

On the other hand, large releases are cause for a lot of excitement (in part due to the aforementioned competition) and certainly have their own time and place. Perhaps just once in a while, as much as we'll be inclined to grumble about egg slot shortages, and not in rapid succession.

Edited by Lythiaren

When I first saw this suggestion, I got almost giddy at the thought of having so many dragons released at once. Because, personally, I would love having 7-9 dragons released at a time, maybe more! Granted, I appreciate skewed drop rates for them for a bit.

But then, I thought about it for a bit and realized, like many others have said, there just aren't enough eggslots. When our "Olympics" release happened, I was a day late, and I was struggling to just get 1 of each, and I like to have 4 of each dragon (2 males, 2 females)! Luckily, some kind gifters gifted me some of the eggs early on, but that doesn't solve the problem if say I wanted bunches of Aeons or tons of Kingcrownes. I barely see them anymore!

The Xeno release was great, lots of new dragons (Even though they were the same type) but 7 of them? And when is the last time you just went into the biomes and just saw one sitting there? For me? Months.

I would LOVE the idea of bigger releases, but every release everyone plays the guessing game of "will these be rare????" and in some cases it does happen.

Like I said, if as a majority we want bigger releases, I think that getting that +1 time based egg slot would be great plus the drop rates should be skewed for longer. Not SUPER long (I'm looking at you Lunar Heralds), but long enough that they are just starting to get a bit harder to track down once 1st round of eggs starts hatching (with incubate).

Has this been addressed: There's the issue that such a huge release really encourages, and to some mindsets, forces multi-scrolling. Getting more egg slots would be the only way to keep up with this release, and since rarities are never announced ahead of time, people ARE going to feel the need to get them all before they disappear for good like the coppers have.

And sure, if they're all common, that will turn out to be unnecessary, but: people won't know that ahead of time. Even if you post it everywhere on the forums, not everyone reads those posts. They'll be playing the "is it rare" guessing game, and the only way to be sure is to create new scrolls to be able to grab all types. And then when the things turn out common, everyone who wasn't caught multiscrolling will be like "that was a waste but now I have this extra scroll and nothing bad happened to me..."

Plus, this is assuming they WOULD all be common, which other people might consider boring. Throw in just one uncommon or rare, or a BSA, and suddenly the cheaters (and the <10% honest players who guessed the rare right) have a massive advantage.

I admit that I also don't like the suggestion myself, because I'm one of the players who still hasn't filled out my scroll desires and doubling the amount of dragons we have wouldn't help me in the least. But I think the "won't this massively encourage and reward multiscrolling" question should be answered regardless.

EDIT: What I wrote was all about massive releases, like too fast for a single scroll user to keep up with. I see the suggestion has changed and we're now trying to find the "correct" size of release. No opinion on that myself, but please keep in mind the issue of "keeping up"? Particularly if you're also going away from the "commons only" idea.

Edited by ientoshi

Even if people do have goals for their scroll, if we do have larger releases, they would be permanently available, and more common's can be released (maybe have 1-2 rares a month, and a larger release of just common-uncommon ones)

And since the dragons would be permanent (and mostly more common ones) there would be no need to worry about catching them as soon as they release - people can choose when they want to get them, so if they wait a while, until they're not egglocked, or whatever, the new eggs would still be easily available with just a little bit of searching each area.

Because I do agree - having just 1-2 dragon's each month, imo, isn't enough to keep me flocking back. The only reason I still use the cave on a near-daily basis is because I'm still a noob who doesn't have very many dragon types xd.png

And whilst more releases may make it harder to "catch up" (which I don't mind about, anyway) it's more fun for people who want more dragons to collect, who's scrolls already are pretty full of all breeds, ect. It keeps things fresh and interesting.

Even if people do have goals for their scroll, if we do have larger releases, they would be permanently available, and more common's can be released (maybe have 1-2 rares a month, and a larger release of just common-uncommon ones)

And since the dragons would be permanent (and mostly more common ones) there would be no need to worry about catching them as soon as they release - people can choose when they want to get them, so if they wait a while, until they're not egglocked, or whatever, the new eggs would still be easily available with just a little bit of searching each area.

Just a note on those -

I came back around the beginning of Jan 2016 (after like 2 years) and it's now October. In this time, there have been a bunch of 2016 new releases and some of those are still hard to catch even though they are permanently available. Nexus, Bolt, Candelabra, Sapphire and even Antareans don't show up too often in the cave anymore b/c other dragons have released after them (they aren't hard to catch when they show up...but they don't show up often). It is a crazy struggle to catch an Aeon and they rarely stay in the cave for more than 1-2 seconds before somebody catches them.

From the releases I missed while I was gone, even though they're permanent....they don't show up in the cave as often. Lunar Heralds, Coppers, Xenos, Gemshards, and Pyralspites (except volcano) are all pretty rare to see in the cave, and most are picked up right away - in seconds. Coppers, which released three years ago in 2013, are still hard to catch, and picked up within 1-2 refreshes. Even lindwurms don't pop up often and they're not quite as rare as some of the others.

So flooding the game with tons of new releases - whether it be 12 over 12 days or a giant dump - just doesn't make any sense to me. At some point, you're going to have so many new breeds that catching the one you need in the cave is going to be a near impossible task....not even due to rarity, but just due to the sheer # of breeds that exist. Even their permanence won't help matters much. The more dragons you release, the harder they actually are to catch because there are only so many eggs that will show up in the cave per breed when there is a drastic increase in the # of breeds to cycle through.

In addition...for anybody who does trades, this is a nightmare. Tons of new species released means skewing the amount of rares you can breed from common/uncommon species. 2-3g metals are one of the few things that have any trade value in this game anymore (others being the harder to find cb eggs mentioned above as well as prizes and neglecteds), and releasing a bunch of new dragons will greatly affect how trading works.

Edited by Pryanka

No support.

Honestly, it's going to be very difficult for either side to really see eye-to-eye over this. On the one side, we have the pure "collectors" who usually have very limited self-set goals and don't see what else there is to do, on the other side, people with higher self-set goals, lineage enthusiasts and hoarders are not easily going to understand why the former group cannot seem to find anything else to do. Yes, I cheerfully self-identify as falling into the latter group(s).

I see people saying DC is a collecting game and once they've collected "their two" (or sprite set, or whatever), they're done. Well... I don't think DC is intended as a pure sprite collection game - it's a game about sprite hoarding - or we'd have limits on how many of anything you can own (GoNs and CB Xmas and Vals being, currently, the notable exceptions). Over the years there has been a constant push by the playerbase to remove limits on owning any number of any type of dragon you like. How you decide which sprites are worth hoarding is up to you. If you choose to only collect a very limited number of sprites, that's ok and the game accommodates that, but I am not convinced that it's a behaviour that should be encouraged blindly over any other playstyle. Every release thread, I see people gloating over having already "got all they need" or, in some cases, accusing others of "taking more than their share" - as though there was some official number of dragons we're permitted to own. Then usually a week after a release people are complaining that the biomes never move. I submit that it is the "greedy hoarders" who keep the biomes moving for that bit longer after the initial release flood, and the breeders who both fill the AP with (often) pretty lineages that people seem to appreciate collecting and marginally improve the chances of, eventually, breeding something other than the latest release from a pairing. Grabbing a couple of eggs, sticking them in a fansite and vanishing for a month doesn't help keep biomes moving or aid with balancing the ratios or contribute much to the community. Before anyone leaps down my throat, I'm not pointing fingers and I'm not saying that you should change your playstyle overnight or anything like that. The nice thing about DC is that it does currently cater to a spectrum of playstyles, albeit imperfectly. All I'm saying is that a push towards even more of a "grab 2 and I'm out" mentality would, imo, be detrimental to the site as a whole.

But that's asking to be catered to. You don't want the game to change because you like it exactly how it is. Other people don't. Why should our opinions mean less than yours?

Well, yeah but no but yeah.

People who joined the game joined it as it is.

SOME - many of us - still love it that way - not that it is totally unimprovable. Others have decided they want it changed because they are BORED.

This game is different from many. If you didn't like it, you needn't have joined in the first place - you ccould have - still can - an join one of the others that is glitzier and more to your tastes.

For those of us who DO like it the way it is, there IS no other we can move to. (Please don't mention those flowers. It's NOT the same ! laugh.gif )

And I am actually OK with a few more releases, but not this MASS WOW thing - I have slow internet, I am 71 years old, and I breed lineages - and I DO like to have some of everything. This idea would be a catastrophe from my POV, and even worse for others.

But that's asking to be catered to. You don't want the game to change because you like it exactly how it is. Other people don't. Why should our opinions mean less than yours?

I'm not the one asking for the game to change to suit me!

And I don't see where I said my opinion mattered more than anyone else's. I was just asking for what I want, which is exactly what you were doing.

I started playing this game because it is what it is. It is fairly slow paced but there are ways to make it interesting over the long term for me. You started playing the same game and now you don't like it because it is too slow. Who is asking to be catered to?

Edited by purplehaze

I'm not the one asking for the game to change to suit me!

And I don't see where I said my opinion mattered more than anyone else's. I was just asking for what I want, which is exactly what you were doing.

I started playing this game because it is what it is. It is fairly slow paced but there are ways to make it interesting over the long term for me. You started playing the same game and now you don't like it because it is too slow. Who is asking to be catered to?

Everyone's opinion matters.

However, instead of drawing a line in the sand and saying "NO! My way or the highway!" perhaps we can come to a workable compromise? What preciselly do you object to, the sheer size of the originally proposed release? Yes, the massive 50+ Dragon release suggested at the start of the thread is unworkable, for a variety of reasons. And having massive releases every month is distressing to many players.

However, we do have a "dead" zone where those who collect primarily CBs have little to do.

So, if most of the releases are smaller (2 to 5 dragons), would 1 release in the Holiday dead zone of say, up to 12 dragons cause that many issues? What if it was geared toward Drakes, Pygmies, Two-Heads, and Hybrids? That gives the lineage collectors lots of breathing room but gives the CB collectors something else to work on in the dead zone.

Cheers!

C4.

Everyone's opinion matters.

However, instead of drawing a line in the sand and saying "NO! My way or the highway!" perhaps we can come to a workable compromise? What preciselly do you object to, the sheer size of the originally proposed release? Yes, the massive 50+ Dragon release suggested at the start of the thread is unworkable, for a variety of reasons. And having massive releases every month is distressing to many players.

However, we do have a "dead" zone where those who collect primarily CBs have little to do.

So, if most of the releases are smaller (2 to 5 dragons), would 1 release in the Holiday dead zone of say, up to 12 dragons cause that many issues? What if it was geared toward Drakes, Pygmies, Two-Heads, and Hybrids? That gives the lineage collectors lots of breathing room but gives the CB collectors something else to work on in the dead zone.

Cheers!

C4.

Ngl, I would absolutely support a release of Drakes, Pygmies, and Two-headeds at any point. My main objection is that people seem to be determined to do away with the little breathing room we are guaranteed each year.

And again, I don't need this space to breed, I need it to find 'common' outcomes I still need that are becoming harder to find. I agree that everyone's opinion matters, and it also bothers me that some of the people in this thread are acting like it's crazy some other people don't want the game we love to change that much!

Change is necessary. Sometimes it's even good. But is this really the change we need? I'm not sure. A new release is fresh and interesting... for a week. Then the cave goes back to how it always is. Maybe this isn't the hill any of us needs to die on... (Eta and before you go back to that big suggestion saying tjat will draw it out, I can see the drama now. I absolutely agree ot would encourage multiscrollers)

Tl;dr I have no idea what my point even was.

Edited by silver_chan

Ngl, I would absolutely support a release of Drakes, Pygmies, and Two-headeds at any point. My main objection is that people seem to be determined to do away with the little breathing room we are guaranteed each year.

And again, I don't need this space to breed, I need it to find 'common' outcomes I still need that are becoming harder to find. I agree that everyone's opinion matters, and it also bothers me that some of the people in this thread are acting like it's crazy some other people don't want the game we love to change that much!

Change is necessary. Sometimes it's even good. But is this really the change we need? I'm not sure. A new release is fresh and interesting... for a week. Then the cave goes back to how it always is. Maybe this isn't the hill any of us needs to die on... (Eta and before you go back to that big suggestion saying that will draw it out, I can see the drama now. I absolutely agree it would encourage multiscrollers)

Tl;dr I have no idea what my point even was.

Exactly this !

Except the tl;dr bit smile.gif

There are so many OTHER changes I would far rather see - like some way to have it so that one breed (carmines, i am STILL looking at you) wouldn't overpower every other breed in breeding linaeges... Yes that's OT, but even so....

I have no objection to a small release, or several, during the so-called dead zone. I think a 12-dragon release would be totally overwhelming to me and I don't think I am alone.

Exactly this !

Except the tl;dr bit smile.gif

There are so many OTHER changes I would far rather see - like some way to have it so that one breed (carmines, i am STILL looking at you) wouldn't overpower every other breed in breeding linaeges... Yes that's OT, but even so....

I want that too, but...

During the "dead zone" from October through March... Playing slows down for a lot of people. Really, really slows down, and they get really bored. By the time new releases are expected come spring.... many people are really chomping at the bit... or have left.

So for me, and others I know of, the key to keeping the dead zone from being so dead is something happening in January. That splits the dead zone, and puts what happens before the slowest of the Holidays, Valentines.

Now, for myself I'd like a mid-sized release of 3 to 5 dragons. The Olympics release was nice because its kept me fairly busy collecting for a month ish, whereas normally its like "4 days and.... done". So my ideal would be a 3 to 5 dragon release in January, to carry through the dead zone. Big enough to keep people occupied and busy, but not so big that it kills most people's "relax" time.

Cheers!

C4.

I suppose a 3-5 dragon release is pretty reasonable. I really hope that if this is decided on something is said ahead of time. I know, scheduled releases have been done away with, but there was so much scrambling to get on top of the September release, and I saw several people grumbling about the fact they were trying to get ready for Halloween...and on the flip side, if people wait and nothing happens, there will be disappointment. So I hope something is said one way or another, if we actually come to some kind of compromise (even if it's just TJ saying something on the thread).

Edited by silver_chan

I want that too, but...

During the "dead zone" from October through March... Playing slows down for a lot of people. Really, really slows down, and they get really bored. By the time new releases are expected come spring.... many people are really chomping at the bit... or have left.

So for me, and others I know of, the key to keeping the dead zone from being so dead is something happening in January. That splits the dead zone, and puts what happens before the slowest of the Holidays, Valentines.

Now, for myself I'd like a mid-sized release of 3 to 5 dragons. The Olympics release was nice because its kept me fairly busy collecting for a month ish, whereas normally its like "4 days and.... done". So my ideal would be a 3 to 5 dragon release in January, to carry through the dead zone. Big enough to keep people occupied and busy, but not so big that it kills most people's "relax" time.

Cheers!

C4.

Well - why did people sign up for a game where you can't even see when you start that there will EVER be new dragons ?

Part of the APPEAL is the slowness, it really is, for MANY of us smile.gif

In my honest opinion, speeding up releases is honestly too much for most Neglecters. We have our scroll space tied up in fogged egggs and boom, release.

Why were we doing it in the first place? A frankly ridiculous trade market, that having more releases will make it harder for newbs to break into because of the sheer volume of common releases whose ratios will take longer than normal to even out because of how many were released at the same time.

I do't know about you, but for me scroll space is a precious commodity - I already have a lot of things on my backburner. I also have forum stuff to be involved in.. A new release means more eggs to monitor against viewbombers. Quite frankly, I have someone on me who likes removing my eggs from hatcheries when I'm asleep/at school.

Also, more releses mess up vacays. Take this most recent one. It happened while I was at SCIVIS. When I get back, I have eggs to catch. Plenty. And an IOU to fufill. What with my schedule for doing the IOU fufill that can't be changed due to access around those times... I did not have fun being forced to reject gifts and only catch a couple CBs of the new release.

I would like to see more P2Ds but I don't want 10+ dragons a month. What about 4-5? Or even 3-4?

Or maybe we could get one more scroll slot. Like for instance, add a slot to scrolls with 800+ dragons....

Edited by Dusky_Flareon

Compromise

More scroll slots

Kick eggs to the ap suggestion is implemented

We can handle more dragons in a release

I know from previous comments that the holiday season is a busy coding time for TJ, so releases during that time are less likely than some other things.

What I'd like to see is the following:

- Slightly bigger releases than the standard of one or two breeds. For me, 4 a month is a good number, especially if one of them would be breed-only. Maybe smaller releases for uncommon/rare breeds, should we get them.

- One big release at the end of the non-holiday season to tide us over without overworking TJ. Eight to twelve common dragons at the end of the release season, some of them drakes, pygmies, two-heads, unbreedables or even hybrids seem like a good idea for the long draught following it.

- As far as I understand this, new releases with new/special breeding mechanics (dark lumina, xenos...) will take more coding time than regular releases - at least that's what I think. (I might be wrong.) If so, TJ could release some rather "normal" dragons without any extras either during the holiday season or just before the holiday season starts.

OK, first, I'm one of those older players.. and older agewise at 55.. plus I'm a avid breeder AND collector. However, I don't really have 'scroll goals' per se.. I get 1 male/female pair of EVERYTHING, but if I like the sprite, i'll get lots more of that dragon. Heck, you can look at my scroll and see which dragons I like least.. they'll be the older sprites that I only have one pair of. Newer dragons with just a pair only means that I haven't started collecting more of them since their release.

Then there are all my lineage projects.. http://lady_cin.tripod.com/projects/projectIndex.htm

general breeding.. http://lady_cin.tripod.com/dragonCave/dragonCaveIndex.htm

breeding on request.. I keep up with these in PMs

In general, I breed a LOT

Yet I'm also asking for BIGGER releases.. my playstyle goes BOTH ways.. collecting AND breeding. Plus, I've already proven that I can compromise.. I didn't stick with the massive release idea.. I've offered a compromise, but one that shouldn't be that big of an issue.. BUT... NOT changing is going to kill this game eventually.. and because there are only 3 main things to do (collect, breed, trade), the ONLY way to keep this game interesting is to add more dragons.

Time after time I see players say that the new releases are the ONLY reason they keep playing. I'm one of them. New releases and new lineage projects are why I keep playing. But without new releases to keep my breeding projects fresh, I wouldn't have any reason to keep playing. The same old dragons and the same old projects is NOT good.

Sooooooooooooo... compromise is good... no change is bad... so let's talk compromises. 1, 2 or 3 dragons per release is NOT enough... I'd like to see 10 or 12 new dragons per release, but some of you think that's too many. So how does 6 sound? That's pretty much in the middle.. still not as many as I'd like, but 6 shouldn't be too overwhelming for most folk.

Sooooooooooooo... compromise is good... no change is bad... so let's talk compromises. 1, 2 or 3 dragons per release is NOT enough... I'd like to see 10 or 12 new dragons per release, but some of you think that's too many. So how does 6 sound? That's pretty much in the middle.. still not as many as I'd like, but 6 shouldn't be too overwhelming for most folk.

As I said, for commons-only releases, I don't mind huge numbers. But if there's an uncommon or rare in the mix, I feel like the release should be much smaller. The coppers in the middle of a 7-day release were awful overall. (I was lucky, though - I had a hunch and made sure to grab one CB pair of every color on the day of the copper release. Then again, I remembered the egg description from DR...)

I'll just say that my girlfriend, who came back to the game with my encouragement, can no longer grab eggs during releases due to her health issues. And that was just the Diamondwing/Monarch release; she's given up on trying to even play any more.

I realize her case is an unusual one, but I don't really relish the idea of being constantly behind and only able to grab one of each type during the first rush of dragons. I guess at least six will guarantee I'll have one of each...

Edited by silver_chan

So, maybe bi-weekly releases - or a 2nd flood of new release dragons 1 week (or 2 weeks?) after the original event? That should also help even out the ratios of the new breed so we can work on common x common checkers, even if one of the breeds is new and the other very old.

Please don't worry about the ratios. NO ONE knows how ratios work except TJ, and he's not telling. So ANYTHING about ratios is pure speculation, and I'd like to avoid that. This idea is simply about what we'd like to happen, let TJ worry about how to make it work. Since he doesn't think he needs or wants help on the coding end, let him worry about that.. and let us just say what we'd like to happen.

@ Sock and PF13 - would 6 dragons per release be doable?

@ TJ - would you even consider larger releases? And if yes, could the new releases drop at a higher percentage for more than just a day? Maybe like.. flood for 24hrs... then start adding in older dragons, but keep the new release at a high percentage for at least 3 or 4 days? That way folk could at least get a 2nd batch of new eggs before the standard drops take over.

Now a personal opinion.. I've gotten past the 'gotta have it on release day' mentality. So I'm perfectly content to wait and catch new stuff later.. even if it takes months. While I'm waiting, I can breed, so I'm not doing nothing.. I'm just not getting all frustrated about not having something immediately. BUT, I do see the viewpoint, because I used to be just like that myself. Which is why I'm asking TJ to consider the longer release issue.

I'm NOT insensitive to the slower playstyles, I just think we need to compromise a little and give us faster playstyle players a little boost too.

What - new releases every two weeks ? PLEASE no.