Cinnamin Draconna

Larger Release Suggestion

I must admit, I'm torn.

On the one hand, I'd love to do some more breeding - but with the way that common x common breeding works, most lines don't really make much sense, considerin how much effort you have to put into getting the right breed. Common x Uncommon/Rare lines aren't that much better. That takes the joy out of a lot of possible lineages.

Another reason I don't do much breeding is the sheer size of my scroll, quickly approaching 5000 dragons. Finding what you're looking for is a nightmare, and I'm waiting for any kind of sensible sorting feature (tabs or tags or a hybrid of both) to be implemented. Pagination doesn't really help here.

Which leaves me with mostly catching CBs. My personal minimum scroll goal is 4 CB of each breed (2 males, 2 females). Whatever exceeds that on my scroll is either due to boredom, useful BSA or personal preferences or a combination of those. In any case, this kind of playing gets boring rather quickly because, well, it's not feasible to do anything else with the dragons you have.

Yet, at the same time, I've noticed recently that there are quite a few breeds where I don't even remember the name of the breed, much less the egg description (or any other breed description, really). Which is a pity.

However, as long as there's no sensible sorting system implemented, I'm all for more and/or bigger releases.

Well - most people I know aim for 8 CB of everything for LINEAGES, see. So....

Also MOST players i know AREN'T bored. I'm not.

2 cbs. 1 Male and 1 female. If I really, really like the breed, I may get more, but otherwise no.

Also not bored, but lineage building is a pain in the butt. either can't get what you need from the cave, or all the breedings are one sided. ;/

I would like to see more dragons released, but not all at once. and maybe, NOT at Christmas. Over the summer would be better. Too many people have other things to do at Christmas, like, I don't know, spend time with their families instead playing on the computer 24/7?

I must admit, I'm torn.

On the one hand, I'd love to do some more breeding - but with the way that common x common breeding works, most lines don't really make much sense, considerin how much effort you have to put into getting the right breed. Common x Uncommon/Rare lines aren't that much better. That takes the joy out of a lot of possible lineages.

Another reason I don't do much breeding is the sheer size of my scroll, quickly approaching 5000 dragons. Finding what you're looking for is a nightmare, and I'm waiting for any kind of sensible sorting feature (tabs or tags or a hybrid of both) to be implemented. Pagination doesn't really help here.

Which leaves me with mostly catching CBs. My personal minimum scroll goal is 4 CB of each breed (2 males, 2 females). Whatever exceeds that on my scroll is either due to boredom, useful BSA or personal preferences or a combination of those. In any case, this kind of playing gets boring rather quickly because, well, it's not feasible to do anything else with the dragons you have.

Yet, at the same time, I've noticed recently that there are quite a few breeds where I don't even remember the name of the breed, much less the egg description (or any other breed description, really). Which is a pity.

However, as long as there's no sensible sorting system implemented, I'm all for more and/or bigger releases.

You have put everything I feel much more eloquently than I could, thank you happy.gif

I am against this idea and would not support it. Too much of everything will quickly turn boring too so I don't see how this is helping; releases are stressful as it is. I already dislike releases that contain more than two breeds. Moderation is very important to keep game fun for everyone. If the game starts getting spammed with large release I will simply lose interest because it would be more headache than fun. It is not like new release is the only thing one can do in the game so total dependency on releases as the sole fun factor in game is not a sustainable idea for long.

My ideal frequency would be 1-2 dragons per release so that the hard working artists can get the attention they deserve. We need to always keep in mind these pixels are not being mass produced in a factory. The more I look at DR the more I realize what a huge deal it is to release even a single dragon and the work that goes into it. It seems lately in all the frenzy of demanding more and more we are even forgetting the basics to properly appreciate what we get. A lot of breeds are simply forgotten past the initial release hype. Many of them must have been dragons that took years to make and now they simply collect dust in cave.

I will accept if the game is getting boring (which it is) it is a genuine problem. But a larger release will simply not solve it. There has to be more things a player can do besides just catching new release. I don't remember the last time we had, if ever, a contest or event or anything official that was fun other than the holiday period when everyone is already busy with their RL and enjoying their life outside internet.

Nor am I. In fact, I would say that, although I have the skill and trading ability to keep up with both my self-imposed scroll goals and the current rate of releases,* I find myself increasingly disillusioned with this game because I feel there's relatively little time to really appreciate and enjoy new dragons when they've barely shown up and been collected before suddenly more are being thrown at us. :/ That strikes me as a great shame, given the work by spriters and staff that goes into each release. I'm not sure how much the "Gotta catch 'em all NAOW!" rush is down to rare paranoia and regular human cupidity and how much is down to the knowledge that hard on the heels of any current release will be the next release and if you're not reasonably on top of things before that hits, you'll be pushed even further back in any goals you might have. I don't even bother skimming the new release breeding plan threads any more because I know that any such breeding projects are simply not going to happen for me. Excitement for any new breed for me these days is strongly tempered by the certain knowledge that, for the greatest part, they are scroll ornaments and nothing more. And yet I'm not climbing on any soap-boxes to demand a return to releases once a blue moon because that would suit my developed playstyle better...

I agree so much with what A_W has said here.

Much as I love the new dragons that are being released, it is a big disappointment to me knowing that I will never be able to breed all the lovely combinations that would be possible. It took me the whole month between the 5-dragon release and the next one to gather what I needed for my scroll goals. And then there was another release, thankfully a smaller one! So at least this time I have been able to squeeze in a bit of lineage breeding.

I currently collect 8 CBs (at minimum) of a breed, 4 male and 4 female, because that allows for checker breeding up to gen 4 without help from anyone else. I like to have all the dragons on hand so I can start on any lineage I like without having to do any more cave hunting. But I am beginning to question why I bother at all since there is not enough time, and/or not enough egg slots to really do much breeding any more. Thinking of more and larger releases actually fills me with anxiety and dread.

I agree so much with what A_W has said here.

Much as I love the new dragons that are being released, it is a big disappointment to me knowing that I will never be able to breed all the lovely combinations that would be possible. It took me the whole month between the 5-dragon release and the next one to gather what I needed for my scroll goals. And then there was another release, thankfully a smaller one! So at least this time I have been able to squeeze in a bit of lineage breeding.

I currently collect 8 CBs (at minimum) of a breed, 4 male and 4 female, because that allows for checker breeding up to gen 4 without help from anyone else. I like to have all the dragons on hand so I can start on any lineage I like without having to do any more cave hunting. But I am beginning to question why I bother at all since there is not enough time, and/or not enough egg slots to really do much breeding any more. Thinking of more and larger releases actually fills me with anxiety and dread.

Not to mention that the new breeds take over, and you can't GET checkers with them, as the other breed never gets a look in. I can't tell you how many blue banded that should have been moonstones I have thrown to the AP.

Not to mention that the new breeds take over, and you can't GET checkers with them, as the other breed never gets a look in. I can't tell you how many blue banded that should have been moonstones I have thrown to the AP.

That too. And Carmines that should have been just about anything else. And on and on! It isn't just the new breeds taking over -- unless you count 2 years or so new -- but just a total imbalance when breeding common x common. Which just adds to the frustration when you finally do get time and space to breed an egg.

Edited by purplehaze

My ideal frequency would be 1-2 dragons per release so that the hard working artists can get the attention they deserve.

Well, that argument goes both ways. Getting your concept released is probably the greatest reward for an artist that DC has to offer. This obviously includes the attention from the community. But only an artist can tell us whether they'd prefer to have 4 dragons released in bigger releases, where they only get 25% of the overall attention, or whether they'd rather have 1 dragon released, where they get 100% of the attention. In any case, one thing is for certain: There are enough concepts ready for release to allow for releases of more than 2 breeds.

In any case, one thing is for certain: There are enough concepts ready for release to allow for releases of more than 2 breeds.

It is? You don't know how many of the concepts TJ vanished from the completed list went into the "ready for release" list and how many went into the "nope" list. Or how many dragons are in the artists' section that he wants to release. It could be a large number of dragons total that he's got ready to go, but it also could be a very small number. And the dragons on the public completed list are not ready for release.

Around 300 dragon concepts have vanished from the public completed list recently, quite a lot of them with amazing artwork. Considering that most new releases don't come from there, and also considering that one of you in-cave artists once said (rather publicly) that we mere mortals players don't see most of what there is, I have reason to believe that the "completed list" in the artists' section has an even greater amount of concepts ready for release than the public list. (Not to mention that most of the concepts there are made by people who know what TJ is looking for in a dragon concept and the art representing it.)

And you're trying to tell me that, among literally hundreds of concepts, there are not enough for 6 months of releases with 4 new dragons in each release? That's a measly 24 dragons.

Seriously?

Edited by olympe

really 300? why doesnt tj just move dragons that are on the completed list back into dragon requests? that way all that amazing work isnt just lost.

im fine with bigger releases but i would prefer if they werent every month

like june would be 5 breeds, july would be 2, then the next month would have 3, then the next would be 1, and so on

spread out the number of each dragon released in a release throughout the months.

If we were struggling to find artists or needed to wait for new art, that argument 'might' be feasible. But when there are literally HUNDREDS of dragons on the CL waiting to be released, I'm afraid that argument simply isn't good enough. Granted, not all the dragons on the CL should be released, but the others are ready to go and are just sitting there collecting dust as you call it.

All this about I can't keep up just doesn't make sense to me. It takes a minimum of 5 days to grow a dragon. Breeding cooldown is 7 days and we have a maximum of 7 egg slots. Doesn't anyone understand about time management and advance planning? We have so many different cooldowns and space limitations that this game is as slow paced as waiting for christmas already. And you want to slow the game down even more??? I just don't understand it.

actually why do the dragons need to wait months or years to be released just so that the players forget about them? sure i understand it adds fun to the mystery but on the other hand you're losing amazing artwork because the people who created that artwork stop playing this game for a multitude of reasons.

if more dragons were released sooner

we wouldnt lose so much amazing artwork due to the artists becoming inactive without signing the artist agreement

people would be more motivated to create dragon requests and artists would be more motivated to create art for the dragon requests because they know that theirs a chance that their dragons will either be accepted or rejected soon enough so there wouldnt be a shortage of dragons to release

If we were struggling to find artists or needed to wait for new art, that argument 'might' be feasible. But when there are literally HUNDREDS of dragons on the CL waiting to be released, I'm afraid that argument simply isn't good enough. Granted, not all the dragons on the CL should be released, but the others are ready to go and are just sitting there collecting dust as you call it.

In your opinion - and unless this is your site, that doesn't really hold any water.

All this about I can't keep up just doesn't make sense to me. It takes a minimum of 5 days to grow a dragon. Breeding cooldown is 7 days and we have a maximum of 7 egg slots. Doesn't anyone understand about time management and advance planning? We have so many different cooldowns and space limitations that this game is as slow paced as waiting for christmas already. And you want to slow the game down even more??? I just don't understand it.

In fact, the vast majority of those of us who are opposed to this idea are merely not wishing for the game to be "speeded up" any more than it already it - we're not asking for it to be made slower. :/ Believe me, after playing DC for over 6 years, I personally am perfectly capable of managing my available space and I have no shortage of BSAs - see my note about obtaining and raising 40+ dragons in a week. But not everyone has my advantages.

Edited by Amazon_warrior

Some of the people who are having problems with the current pace are having trouble finding and catching the eggs they need for whatever reason. Others are collecting far more than the usual pair or two of CBs of each breed, and often want time to be able to breed some on top of that. Yes, with your abilities and goals it's very easy to finish everything you want to do before the next release. But others have different situations for various reasons.

I'm starting to think that the solution to the whole problem should be for the people who are bored find someone who is struggling to meet their scroll goals and help them. Then the bored people are kept busy and the people who can't keep up can have a chance of getting their heads above water.

Olympe, I'm not saying that there definitely aren't enough dragons available for a higher release schedule. I'm just saying that you can't be so confident that there definitely are enough. Only TJ knows for sure what dragons he wants to release.

What you're saying is that I can't be 100% sure. True. But considering the numbers plus the innuendo I got plus the amazing sprites I remember from before TJ's last CL-cleaning spree, I can be around 99.95% sure, which sure is sure, if not sure enough.

Edited by olympe

Advance planning KIND of worked when we had scheduled releases.

But no - I have 7 slots, a shedload of lines building and no, when there is a new release it can be a total PIA. I am planning for Hallowee'n already; if I KNEW there would be a release tomorrow, I'd have planned for that. As it is - I have bred eggs filling my slots right now - I'm busy and not bored.

When your goals require 8 of each new breed - and I don't usually bother with frozens - with the numbers you are suggesting that would make lineages pretty much impossible - even if one always got the intended breed.

I'd love to work on a full set of zombies, too - but I have decided I have neither the time nor the space. Pity, that.

Your experience may vary a great deal from those of us who have different scroll goals. I think I can manage my scroll just fine, thank you.

And for the record, I do not want to slow the game down any more. I just want it not to speed up to the degree that you are asking, as I know I wouldn't have a prayer of meeting my goals and still being able to breed if we had 5 or 6 or more dragons released each month.

Advance planning sounds great, but how to you plan in advance for a release that may or may not happen at any given time? If I empty my scroll for a weekend release and it doesn't happen, then I am left scrambling to fill those egg slots with something else. Or I may breed an egg for someone and they need time to pick it up. Or someone offers me an egg that I can't resist and throws off my plan. And what about the nebulas and gemshards that color wrong after I spend at least two days hatching them and in the case of the nebs, even longer until they gender?

Like Amazon_Warrior, I can grow 40 or more dragons in a week (I've managed 60ish holidays before). I know about planning. However, hatchling lock comes up fast when you have a limited amount of slots. Poor new players can work with 12 slots at most. We're not asking for the game to be slower. We're asking for accommodations. We don't have anything to make the dragons grow faster beyond the Incubate BSA. We have limited slots. Larger releases sound great, but they do come with inherent limitations. Assuming that people can't plan has nothing to do with it.

I wouldn't mind having a bit more released at once, but I'm afraid I'm with others that say not as many as you are suggesting.

Here are my reasons:

1. RL is just too busy for me. I really never have time to hunt for rares/ uncommons, all of mine with ONE exception are either form trading or catching on release day. I wouldn't mind hunting for commons, and maybe what you are suggesting would make the biomes move faster- which would be cool, but I don't see TJ implementing one strategy for rares and another for commons.

2. Unscheduled releases. I'd be more OK with larger releases if we KNEW they were coming, but as it is now it is not possible to plan for releases so we are all left deciding if we keep our bred eggs or not during a release. I'm not saying this so much as I MUST have new eggs now-- but given my experience here if a rare is released I have to get it on or very very close to release date or I won't get it, sometimes for years.

I'm all for having a small release in November and January, but not a big release.

If we are going to have a big release it should be in June or something, and not 50 dragons at once, that's just ridiculous, maybe 10 at the most.

I joined DC to "adopt" dragons and I'm all for any suggestion that allows me to get as many as possible. If I can't have 50 at the time, I will settle for 10. So far, to get so few (monthly, if that) releases is BORING.