Cinnamin Draconna

Larger Release Suggestion

New releases more then once a month: No, please no. It takes me all month, even with this "low" amount of dragons released, to grab enough of the new releases as is. New Releases twice a month? No.

A release in Nov or January with a "regular" amount of dragons? Totally support, although I don't know how feasible it is with all the holiday-coding/testing/etc that has to be done.

12-dragon releases: No no no and no.

6-dragon releases: I can do that. I think that's a good compromise. But I wouldn't want it to be 6 dragons *ever single month*. Maybe 6 dragons, and then 4 dragons, and then 6 dragons, etc.

I'm just speculating here, but I would expect that, if individual release size were to increase, then release frequency would decrease correspondingly, such that the average number of breeds released per year was about the same.

NOT asking for more than 1 release per month.. that would be too much and even I can see that

BUT... 6 per month should be doable

Increasing release size but decreasing frenquency would defeat the purpose, so NO. I'm asking for more to do on a regular basis, not a hurry up and then wait scenario. Screw the yearly average, we need MORE to do, not less.

And if TJ got everything ready in advance, there's no reason we couldn't have regular releases every month.. including the Holiday months. He'd just need to do them early in Oct and Dec, then late in Feb. BUT, if he doesn't think Oct, Dec and Febuary are doable, there's still 9 more months in the year that SHOULD have releases.

Same goes for players... get your holidaykin breeding done early, instead of waiting until the last min. My Halloween breeding plans have been ready for months.. and my xmas and vday breeding plans are ready too. If anyone needs Halloween eggs from me, my sig has had the info available since early Oct or it might have been late Sept.

6 might be reasonable, I don't know. I kind of like the number 4 myself for the run of the mill releases, with maybe something bigger thrown in for a special occasion or random treat.

I'm not suggesting decreasing frequency, I'm saying that I bet that would be your trade-off.

Six dragons every month for nine months is still a total of 54 dragons. I'm not saying I'm against this idea myself, but again we run into the issue of not having enough dragons that TJ deems suitable for the cave, or ones that have been off the Completed List long enough, to fill that request.

I am not TJ, but I would bet that Odeen is right. I do understand your position, but I'm just saying I don't think the game as it is can handle that kind of demand every single month for a single year, nevermind going forward for multiple years. The artists aren't exactly paid, I don't think...

Edited by silver_chan

As nice as this sounds I think there are too many downsides to this. Not to mention I'd rather only have to worry about stocking up on a couple of breeds per release rather than a lot. Too many breeds at once often leads to "endemism", in that everyone ends up camping one biome for that single "rarest" release dragon. It's better to have a small number of dragons scattered over multiple biomes as opposed to lots of dragons released in one or two biomes.

Because of the way eggs filter into normal releases it means that the more dragons released at once, the less we are able to hoard them.

The multi-dragon releases are already stressful for these reasons and others, so I'd rather not have them occur more often.

Edited by Ashywolf

I already said in the other thread in site discussion that anything more than two breeds is overwhelming for me and I'd prefer a nice 1-2 breed release, but I could do with up to 5 breeds a month as long the releases are guaranteed to have a hybrid or a non-regular breed like a (drake, 2 head, pygmy, etc) because then there's not so much of a fight to get the dragons for the rest of the month since not everyone collects them. But with such limited scroll space, I'm wary of this type of suggestion to take care of the down time.

Edited by Jazeki

It seems like everyone likes numbers, so here are few..

Number of dragons on the Completed list = 230

and this is after a recent culling by TJ

3 dragons released per month for 9 months = 27

230 divided by 27 = 8.5 yrs to clear the CL

6 dragons released per month for 9 months = 54

230 divided by 54 = 4.3 yrs to clear the CL

So I don't see us running out of dragons to release any time soon.. because for every dragon released, more will be requested in DR.

I'll try to get a breakdown of types later... I've got to do some real life stuff for the next few hours.

Don't forget that not all breeds on the completed list are truly available for release - be it due to TJ's preference, absent artists or the art not meeting site standards.

But let's cull things a little, yet not too much. Let's assume that, as is the case in most years now, we only get releases from March to September. That's 7 months out of the year.

Let's further assume that each release consists of 3 regular breeds, which gives every player from silver trophy upward the chance to grab at least 1 pair of each. That's already 21 breeds released.

I still see the possibility to add the occasional hybrid to a release (add, as in 3 regular breeds + the hybrid), or maybe something else that can be acquired through breeding, like our dark luminas, or to increase the size of the September release considerably, mostly using non-standard dragon breeds.

So what ?

Fine. That's manageable.

Not a necessary target to meet and many are not suitable for release, as olympe has said.

FAR too many - that birthday release was just awful.

Which doesn't need clearing and would anyway fill up as fast as it gets "cleared".

So I don't see us running out of dragons to release any time soon.. because for every dragon released, more will be requested in DR.

As I said.

We might benefit from November and mid January releases - but not from this kind of overkill. Now a few hybrids here and there would be harmless - we can all do those at our leisure. But the idea of needing to catch all this stuff to catch up - no, just NO. It's just far FAR too much.

Edited by fuzzbucket

I'll try to get a breakdown of types later... I've got to do some real life stuff for the next few hours.

I don't understand the need to clear the completed section. I admit I get bored with DC sometimes too, but I certainly don't want to be overwhelmed with tons of breeds every month. There are already newly released breeds that I barely even see in the cave anymore.

@ TJ - would you even consider larger releases? And if yes, could the new releases drop at a higher percentage for more than just a day? Maybe like.. flood for 24hrs... then start adding in older dragons, but keep the new release at a high percentage for at least 3 or 4 days? That way folk could at least get a 2nd batch of new eggs before the standard drops take over.

They...already do that. Well, they flood for probably less than 24h, but even when they mix into the cave, they're always on every 5-minute/hourly drop, and very easy to catch since early players have filed their slots. The aeon release is an exception...but I think they're meant to be uncommon/rate in time.

In fact, if I wanted to, I could easily go and catch 7 each of diamond or monarch eggs in like 10-15 minutes...that and dark lumina are like cave favourites right now.

To the person whose gf still cannot catch monarch/diamond hatchlings - PM me and I'll be happy to catch some and send them over as I have egg space. With a moderately decent internet, they're plentiful and easy to catch.

Edited by Pryanka

I don't understand the need to clear the completed section. I admit I get bored with DC sometimes too, but I certainly don't want to be overwhelmed with tons of breeds every month. There are already newly released breeds that I barely even see in the cave anymore.

You know what else ? I collect; I have to have four pairs of everything. But there are dragons in the completed section that I really wouldn't want on my scroll. (But if they were released I'd have to do it !!! because COMPLETIONIST !)

Just because they are up there doesn't mean they are worth releasing... (but I have to have those weather balloons... Like, NAOW !)

Please just four/moth regularly at most! Please. I have vision issuues, and I have to look straight at things to see them. If new eggs flood the Cave, the rares will ge hardwr for me to catch because they'll be s natched by time I see them, same with desirable commons, and same with releases I want a certain one of.

New realeases are also trivcky because they could be rare/desirable/fairly uncommon... so I need to grab them ASAP. Or I could miss them thanks to my eyes.

Now I really feel like I'll get hollered out along the lines of: Quit being a baby because of eye issues!!

But the thing is, I can't just roll over and wish them away. They're a real problem for me. And when people start suggesting things that interfere with my enjoyment of things dur to my issues, I have to speak up. And this could mess up DC for me.

I'm sorry... sad.gif

Edited by Dusky_Flareon

They...already do that. Well, they flood for probably less than 24h, but even when they mix into the cave, they're always on every 5-minute/hourly drop, and very easy to catch since early players have filed their slots. The aeon release is an exception...but I think they're meant to be uncommon/rate in time.

In fact, if I wanted to, I could easily go and catch 7 each of diamond or monarch eggs in like 10-15 minutes...that and dark lumina are like cave favourites right now.

To the person whose gf still cannot catch monarch/diamond hatchlings - PM me and I'll be happy to catch some and send them over as I have egg space. With a moderately decent internet, they're plentiful and easy to catch.

Maybe that's your experience. It is not mine. The last release did *not* flood for anywhere near 24 hours (I slept for 10 hours starting *right* after the release happened and when I woke up old breeds were mixed in).

And not everyone can "easily go and catch 7 each of diamond or monarch eggs in like 10-15 minutes". Maybe *you* can, but I worked for over an hour for my last Monarch and Diamond. Sure I *saw* them, but they were a lot more difficult to get because everyone still wants them but there are a lot less of them dropping, and people pick them up quickly.

But anyways, I still don't support much of an increase here. *Maybe* 6 dragons a release, every *once* in awhile. Please please please not every month. Give all of us time to catch up! And, like others, I don't really understand the need to "clear out" the Dragon Requests list. Why? Why do we *need* to get all those released into the cave soon soon soon? I can tell you right now that some of the breeds in the completed list I do not want to be released, because I personally don't feel they are up to par with the level of sprites that are currently being released in-cave.

Quality is a matter of opinion.

I agree that some of the dragons on the CL are not up to standard. But then again, some of the dragons already in Cave aren't all that great either. So while not all the dragons on the CL should be released, out of that 230 completed dragons, quite a few of them are awesome. And even some of the ones that may not be 'up to standard' are better than some in Cave dragons.

You know what else ? I collect; I have to have four pairs of everything. But there are dragons in the completed section that I really wouldn't want on my scroll.  (But if they were released I'd have to do it !!! because COMPLETIONIST !)

Just because they are up there doesn't mean they are worth releasing... (but I  have to have those weather balloons... Like, NAOW !)

honestly most of the dragons left on the completed list are probably the dragons with issues. It's the dragons that aren't on the list that TJ's removed (that are impossible to calculate) that would be the things released.

TJ doesn't normally release things instantly off the completed list that I know of.

No one but TJ would know how many dragons are ready to be released every month on average.

I'd bet that there's either a crazy amount of backlog... or not really any backlog and that he's actually releasing a perfect amount.

Edited by 626lavaheart

honestly most of the dragons left on the completed list are probably the dragons with issues. It's the dragons that aren't on the list that TJ's removed (that are impossible to calculate) that would be the things released.

I'm a tad confused by this statement. TJ removes things from the list if: 1) they are accepted to be released, or 2) are not suitable for the cave and therefore won't be released. So dragons removed from the list could easily go other ways, while dragons still on the list are "still pending consideration".

@ Sock and PF13 - would 6 dragons per release be doable?

I personally definitely think that's a lot more doable, and it's something I'd support.

I'm just speculating here, but I would expect that, if individual release size were to increase, then release frequency would decrease correspondingly, such that the average number of breeds released per year was about the same.

While I 100% see where this comes from, it's not at all what this suggestion is about, so I don't think it makes sense for it to be offered as an alternative. More likely, if TJ doesn't like it/can't put in that much time, he'll just reject.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

OK, a few more numbers for those who are interested.. and since I promised a breakdown by dragon type earlier

237 Dragons on the CL (found a few ALTs/Variants that I missed earlier)

4 Two Headed

13 Amphitheres

19 Dinos

6 Drakes

19 Easterns

7 Lindwurms

44 Pygmies

10 Sea Serpents

5 Unknowns - No type listed in description, and I couldn't decide which category they should be in

..................... Dracanthrope, Extrasensory, Lilypad, Mudpot, Rankbreaker

69 Westerns

20 Wingless

3 Wyrms

18 Wyverns

-----

53 of them I'd love to have on my scroll already

I only found 1 approved Hybrid on the CL .. Royal Amethyst .. and it's definitely one of my favorites

15 I'd reject for bad art

And just to note that more are in the pipeline, there are 241 incomplete concepts currently in progress

And still I'd say - so what. There will ALWAYS be hundreds and hundreds; that doesn't mean we have to be flooded with them. A small increase - OK. BULK FLOODS - no way.

4, 5 or my preferred 6 dragons is NOT a BULK release. I'm sorry, but there's slow and then there's molasses.. and I'm tired of being stuck. One 6 dragon release per month is NOT going to break anyone's game, IF TJ increases the drop percentages along with the number of dragons.

I LOVED the 7 dragon Anni release... and I did NOT get all the Coppers I wanted. I still don't have all the Coppers I need for my goals, but I'm finding them one at a time and that's perfectly alright. In fact, that's exactly what I'm asking for... more dragons to hunt on a regular basis. I'll still be breeding, but I'll keep 1 or 2 eggslots open for hunting caveborns.

It's obvious that we are not going to agree on this, but that's the way it goes. I think this is a perfectly logical idea, and I don't think a handful of players should be a roadblock for something that should improve the game.

To the people that the usual 2 dragon releases work perfectly for, I can understand tripling the release size every month seeming like a bulk flood. That's why I still like 4 best. Larger number, but not quite so extreme.

If nothing else, it would probably be better to ease into it, rather than suddenly making release sizes that were only ever for special occasions the default.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

6 dragons a month IS a bulk release, especially on a site where the average release has no more than two breeds at a time. And, in trying to prevent "a handful of players" who can't handle so many dragons in a single occurrence - let alone a month - from dictating the future flow of the game, you are attempting to make YOUR handful's preferences more valuable than theirs.

Why push for 6 dragons a month? Why be so adamant about that, when you could simply request an occasional large release like the anniversary release or the Olympic release? We are never going to get 9 releases of 6 dragons each a year - that's just absurd, even if we did have enough suitable breeds available to release - but two or three big releases and 5 small ones? That's far more reasonable.

6 dragons a month IS a bulk release, especially on a site where the average release has no more than two breeds at a time. And, in trying to prevent "a handful of players" who can't handle so many dragons in a single occurrence - let alone a month - from dictating the future flow of the game, you are attempting to make YOUR handful's preferences more valuable than theirs.

Why push for 6 dragons a month? Why be so adamant about that, when you could simply request an occasional large release like the anniversary release or the Olympic release? We are never going to get 9 releases of 6 dragons each a year - that's just absurd, even if we did have enough suitable breeds available to release - but two or three big releases and 5 small ones? That's far more reasonable.

Yeah, I agree. That's a compromise I could definitely get behind--and yes, this is a compromise. It allows for some larger releases and some smaller releases to give us slower people a chance to catch up.