Cinnamin Draconna

Larger Release Suggestion

Not getting any real love for the massive release, so I'm changing this to a general.. We need BIGGER releases request.

Since the Holiday season is so 'stressful' maybe getting releases done in advance is the way to go. Plus, rather than just a few dragons, I would like to see releases of 4, 6, 8 or even more dragons per release. What would really make me happy would be if I was still hunting for the dragons released in Sept when the Oct release is announced. That way I'd always have new dragons to hunt for and with all the breeding I do, I would never be bored again.

I know that some folk will be against the idea, because they want the new releases NOW NOW NOW on release day.. and only as many new dragons as they have egg slots. But when you get everything at once, you're left with nothing to do... and that gets BORING real quick.. especially when it's the same cycle month after month after month.

So to me, bigger releases are the way to go to keep things fresh and interesting. There's always something that you need to hunt for.. more dragons to collect.. more new dragons for new lineage concepts.. etc. etc. etc. Releasing just 1 or 3 dragons a month isn't enough to keep a really active player active.. we run out of things to do and get bored.. and I hate being bored.

Edited by Cinnamin Draconna

I'd rather not. Breeds available forever can still easily go almost invisible, like with pyralspites for a long time and to some extent coppers/xenos. People would have to choose between a gazillion new breeds to collect or stocking up on bred Christmas dragons all at a time when a lot of people are busy doing stuff with their families. I don't want there to be huge events on DC when chances are most of us are busy IRL. The ordinary Christmas event keeps people busy enough that week in most cases.

Edit: I just saw your full suggested number of breeds to release and that's way too crazy high. You'd almost double DC's breed lists in two weeks! I understand wanting more dragons but I'd rather see something more like releasing 4 new breeds every non-holiday month or something than dropping a dragon sized atomic bomb when, again, a lot of people probably have off cave obligations.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Like the 12 days of christmas song neat

The new dragons that would get released as part of the event should be uber uber common, a hybrid or two should get thrown in and some of the restricted breeding groups like drakes, pygmies and two headed. A new unbreedable would be nice like the dinos.

The new releases should probably not be uncommon or rare because there would be so many and we have such limited slots

It is a lovely idea, but as ADP said, it would interfere with the holiday breeding season and potentially people's Christmas family plans. The mess and drama would be incredible.

Oh, I was definitely thinking of plane jane commons, otherwise it would take forever to collect them. Hadn't thought of Hybrids, but I don't see why not.. but for sure on everything else too. But ONLY commons, wouldn't be fair otherwise.

As much as I support pretty much everything that means we get moar dragons, I don't like this suggestion. As an avid breeder of holiday checkers, I need the breeding period to get at least some of my projects done. Adding a new release per day to that time would be very unwelcome indeed.

That being said, the completed list has shrunk considerably in recent months. As a matter of fact, most of the winners from the Completed List Favorites Tournament have been removed, and one has gotten into the cave (Antarean dragon).

hmmm, good point about the previous winter holiday breeding season.

What about if we got the 12 Days of Winter...... in January?

New Years Day - 1 new dragon

Jan 2 - 2 new dragons

etc?

hmmm, good point about the previous winter holiday breeding season.

What about if we got the 12 Days of Winter...... in January?

New Years Day - 1 new dragon

Jan 2 - 2 new dragons

etc?

Much, much better. Although the numbers are quite crazy - then again, so is the backlog of concepts ready for release.

That seeks reasonable to me doesn't mess with the holiday breeding period.

Oh what if all the dragons leading up to the final one are all common, or a hybrid, or an unbreedable but the last one is a rare?

And this information could be made to the players before hand so we all have time to choose and pick which ones we like the most?

I like the idea of a huge release like that. But I don't think the timetable with the completed list would work for your specific idea. Completed list dragons need a lot of prep for release, between hiding the concept for quite a few months and getting any new artists to sign the artist agreement. The problem is a lot of concepts on the completed list have artists that aren't around anymore, which means TJ can't release them.

I'm not a huge fan of your timing. I can understand wanting to do something to spice up the winter season, but that many dragons right before the winter holiday breeding is bound to cause quite a bit of angst for the people who normally join in the winter frenzy, even though it would be a permanent release. Maybe a release of a few hybrids and restricted breeding group dragons to give the people who don't participate in the holiday frenzy something to do, but those specific dragon types wouldn't give quite so much push for the people who normally do the breeding week to hunt instead.

Edit: Wow, that's a lot of discussion that happened while I typed this up. x3 I'd say timing it in January would be better. (but I still like my idea of releasing a few hybrids or something low stress like that for the people who don't do the bred holidays thing)

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Whoa.. getting a bit ahead of things there I think

There wouldn't be any picking and choosing on our part.. TJ and the artists would decide which dragons are ready to go.

And no rares... this would be strictly commons.. but of any type; regular, drake, pygmy, etc.

Made edits to OP.. hopefully the timing is better

PF13 - out of all the dragons on the CL, you don't think 78 of them would be ready to go?

Edited by Cinnamin Draconna

out of all the dragons on the CL, you don't think 78 of them would be ready to go?

78 dragons that are all high enough quality by current art standards, all have concepts that don't somehow clash with TJ's vision for site lore or his vision of what's dragony enough, don't somehow have some other problem I can't anticipate, AND have ALL of their artists still active and able to sign the artist agreement?

hahahahahahahahaha

no

Edited by TheCompleteAnimorph

The very idea of this makes me want to cry, haha. I can understand wanting to clear out the completed list, but I'm so far behind already and releasing so many that I wouldn't have the egg slots to even grab one of each.... oh man.

I would definitely support a slightly more limited release. One per day, maybe, with 12 total... I know it's not nearly as ambitious as your idea, but I'm more comfortable with it on a personal level.

First, there isn't actually a "backlog" of completed dragons. Not every sprite set that gets completed will be released, regardless of who's involved in it. I don't consider my myriad unreleased sets to be backlogged, I consider them to be awaiting judgment or unsuitable for DC in their current state for one reason or another. If a concept I've made has been overlooked for two years, I generally label it a failure and make a note to completely revisit the concept.

Second, 78 dragons is a RIDICULOUS release size, and I honestly do not think there are 78 completed concepts on the whole site that are both conceptually and artistically suited for a DC release even if T.J. had the time to set up that many new breeds for you while also helping with the winter event. Then the amount of drama that so many new breeds would inherently cause when people could never hope to catch everything quickly just isn't worth the trouble.

Not to mention, from an artist's perspective: it is an honor to get a release. It's fun to follow the release threads. It's fun to watch people reacting to what YOU did. To bury that experience in a sea of 77 other breeds, where people just don't have the time to appreciate what was accomplished... It would cheapen the experience for everyone, but especially for the artists.

I just wanted to add that besides Odeen's wonderful point, the 7th birthday was madness enough. I know you said that all the dragons released in this were meant to be common, but the Coppers were also meant to be common, back then... and even then I had to gamble between giving up something that did turn out to be common for something that ended up being user-driven rare. With 78 breeds I wouldn't be able to do that, at least not as easily.

Edited by silver_chan

78 dragons that are all high enough quality by current art standards, all have concepts that don't somehow clash with TJ's vision for site lore or his vision of what's dragony enough, AND have ALL of their artists still active and able to sign the artist agreement?

hahahahahahahahaha

no

What she said. Please, no.

The 7th birthday was terrifyingly stressful. I am almost 72; this might finish me off.

And honestly - there are quite a few on the completed list that are frankly NOT up to scratch.

Not to pick nits or anything but Coppers were always intended to be uncommon, from the time TJ and I discussed their release. In their initial concept I thought common, but by the time they were slated for release that had changed. Because Metal.

Odeen does make a good point. As an artist I'd be a little disappointed if my dragon concept got swamped in a 78 breed frenzy.

I like the idea of the 12 days, but practicality suggests that 78 is 60 to 70-ish too many.

Not to pick nits or anything but Coppers were always intended to be uncommon, from the time TJ and I discussed their release. In their initial concept I thought common, but by the time they were slated for release that had changed. Because Metal.

Odeen does make a good point. As an artist I'd be a little disappointed if my dragon concept got swamped in a 78 breed frenzy.

I like the idea of the 12 days, but practicality suggests that 78 is 60 to 70-ish too many.

Ah, ok. I stand corrected. But in any case, there is always the possibility of user-driven rare, like the Blacks and Stripes for a while. I mean they're fixed now, but there was a long time you couldn't get them for blood or money in the Cave.

I would support a release of 12 new breeds in January.

But your timing is... very poor.

What I would advise:

12 breeds, released over 24 days.

Either 2 breeds every 4 days, or 1 breed every other day, starting on January 7th. That spreads it out, gives people a chance to work on other things.... And gives people two weeks after Christmas and 2 weeks before Valentines.

Anything more than 12 breeds is too heavy a toll.

Cheers!

C4.

What I would advise:

Either 2 breeds every 4 days, or 1 breed every other day, starting on January 7th. That spreads it out, gives people a chance to work on other things.... And gives people two weeks after Christmas and 2 weeks before Valentines.

Cheers!

C4.

Yeah, I like this idea. Gives us a prayer of at least getting a handful of each dragon before the next one drops, and hatch them, and maybe even let the last batch of babies grow. Even if my army of Reds stands up to this flood, the hatchlings don't have anything that can speed them up.

What I would advise:

Cheers!

C4.

i like that idea

This thread (and many other posts I've seen on the forums) operates on the false pretense that the Completed Requests Progress List serves as a queue from which dragons are released onto the website. This is not the case. This is not even the case for the Artist Section.

Rather, Completed Requests and the Artist Section function similarly to a grocery store. Just as different people would pick out different foods based on their preferences and standards, TJ picks the breeds that fit his preferences and standards for the site. Some people like different brands (artists) more than others--TJ is also a person, and thus has stylistic preferences for the art and concepts which he chooses for release. Known and trusted brands (released artists) are more likely to have their products bought than newer ones, and that's simply human nature--we tend to stick to what we know. You're welcome to disagree about which brand is best or advocate for new brands, but at the end of the day, preferences still drive our choices.

You can't buy everything in a grocery store, and TJ can't release everything--or even most things--in Completed Requests. There's a huge surplus, much of it comprised of things that TJ may not even want, and that's okay, because Dragon Requests and Completed Requests are for exactly what their names suggest--requests. They contain proposals--not a To-Do List for releases.

Continuing with the grocery store analogy, you certainly cannot in one trip buy four years' worth of food--from brands you've never tested before--and expect to eat it all in under two weeks. It's silly, it's impractical, it's disillusioned, and it's exactly what this thread is suggesting we try with the site. As TCA so wonderfully put it earlier, "hahahahahahahahaha

no"

Edited by PieMaster

Pie, Cinn's point is less to clear out the Completed list than to get something, anything, going in the dead zone between the end of September (last normal release) and the start of April (next new release).

Some people do love working on lineages, and love collecting Holidays. But for those who don't have much of those.... there's literally nothing going on for half of DC's "year".

And... there are only so many Holiday lineages out there. Even a huge collector like me gets super bored come January. Which is part of why the Forums tend to go BOOM in January. xd.png

Cheers!

C4.

Pie, Cinn's point is less to clear out the Completed list than to get something, anything, going in the dead zone between the end of September (last normal release) and the start of April (next new release).

Some people do love working on lineages, and love collecting Holidays. But for those who don't have much of those.... there's literally nothing going on for half of DC's "year".

And... there are only so many Holiday lineages out there. Even a huge collector like me gets super bored come January. Which is part of why the Forums tend to go BOOM in January. xd.png

Cheers!

C4.

I agree that the site stales between holiday releases, and fully support standard releases during those six-odd months. However, this suggestion reads as a proposal to fix the non-existent CR backlog many users perceive, not as a solution to boredom stemming from a lack of releases during the holiday season.

I agree that the site stales between holiday releases, and fully support standard releases during those six-odd months. However, this suggestion reads as a proposal to fix the non-existent CR backlog many users perceive, not as a solution to boredom stemming from a lack of releases during the holiday season.

It does, on the other hand... There've been other suggestions to have releases in January and November, and those were ignored as unworthy by the power that be.

Perhaps something a bit more daring would get attention!

Having said that, I agree that the schedule she proposed is a bit.... too much. Hence why I suggested a revised one at the bottom of the other page.

Cheers!

C4.