dustpuppy

Dark Lumina breeding theories

The CB dragons have changed codes, since most of them are not picked up by the person reporting them. This means that that the codes are there to the extent that they can be used to prevent two instances of the same egg (if ABCDE and abcde are there, it's obvious that the same dragon with code such as AbCDe was reported using two different methods of altering the code).

So no, that code being a real CB sunrise code does not mean that the data is invalid.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

The CB dragons have changed codes, since most of them are not picked up by the person reporting them.  This means that that the codes are there to the extent that they can be used to prevent two instances of the same egg (if ABCDE and abcde are there, it's obvious that the same dragon with code such as AbCDe was reported using two different methods of altering the code).

So no, that code being a real CB sunrise code does not mean that the data is invalid.

Honestly, I didn't take deleting dragons into consideration, but I checked all of variations of that code and found only one dragon. This one was caught in the same biome and on the same date as reported Lumina. Also, the description of Sunrise egg is quite similar to Lumina's description ("This egg is glowing as brightly as the sun." and "This egg shines brightly in the sunlight."). That's why I assumed it could be a mistake.

Edited by Verse

sighting: Dark Lumina "fapop" (caps messed) in the Desert

day, sun is rising, fall, aurax waxing crescent, cirion waning crescent

... also picked up "BWOOL" because of the code ...

Edited by Ruby Eyes

I wasn't suggesting that the project as a whole throw out any data, CB or otherwise. I was merely noting that my hypothesis does not take CBs into account (yet) and was based purely on breeding results in my own scroll. Again, I only briefly glanced at the collected data. I formulated the idea based on what I've been seeing from my own. Which is why I asked if anyone had any falsifying cases, 'cause that's such a tiny sample.

"There's a problem with your theory #1, though. Your disproof scenario for a combination of both moons will be impossible if the real answer is that the phases of only one of the moons control lumina production, since you want the controlling moon to be in the incorrect phase to produce your proof. Although if this is the case, the graphs will make the difference crystal clear. "

True. Unsure what to do about that, though. Any thoughts, beyond graphing (which I agree is a very useful tool, but I personally don't have the time/energy to put one together including all data the project has access to).

Edited by Lurhstaap

Technically it wouldn't need graphing, just numbers from a specific day. Under your #1 scenario if you have one moon full and one moon new you'll get 50/50, right? And either moon can be full to get the same results. But if one moon is controlling it you'll see 100% one type when it's full and 100% the other when it's new, assuming that it does go to 100% on full/new. So all you'd need is the numbers on a day when one is full and the other is new, since 50/50 and 100/0 are rather distinctly different.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

caps messed unless I say otherwise

Dark Lumina tquhu in the Forest

Dark Lumina vd6sh in the Jungle

night, fall, aurax waxing crescent, cirion waning crescent

haven't seen any light luminae recently ...

Dark Lumina lknny in the Volcano

day, sun is rising, fall, aurax waxing crescent, cirion waning crescent

Edited by Ruby Eyes

Technically it wouldn't need graphing, just numbers from a specific day.  Under your #1 scenario if you have one moon full and one moon new you'll get 50/50, right?  And either moon can be full to get the same results.  But if one moon is controlling it you'll see 100% one type when it's full and 100% the other when it's new, assuming that it does go to 100% on full/new.  So all you'd need is the numbers on a day when one is full and the other is new, since 50/50 and 100/0 are rather distinctly different.

True, but it's possible that the probability never goes to 100%, merely to something very high like 90/10, in order to ensure that people always have at least some chance of finding either kind? FWIW, so far, I can't breed again quite yet, but I have not observed any clear falsifying cases in the CBs I've seen go by. Still pretty convinced it's a lunar cycle in some form, but figuring out the details could be very tough indeed if they're complex!

EDIT: Ruby Eyes just posted data that is consistent with the hypothesis, FWIW. With both moons crescent (dim), Dark Lumina should be, at least, predominant (if waxing/waning matters, the fact that one is waxing introduces the possibility of at least a small number of Luminas. More data is needed to be sure.)

Edited by Lurhstaap

But that would fit one moon too. The controlling moon is dim, mostly darks. You like to take cases where both moons are the same or similar, but it's cases where the two moons are different that are going to show the difference between one moon controlling and two moons in combination.

I agree, it COULD be that it never goes to 100%. But that doesn't mean that you can't use the data to tell the two apart.

True. It'd just take more data to show clearly I guess. Speaking of which, time for another breeding run...

Time of Day It is night. The sun is setting.

Season Fall

Moon Phases

Aurax (Golden moon) Waxing crescent

Cirion (Blue moon) Waning crescent

This is a good time to see if waxing/waning matters or not. If it's connected to the PHASES of one or both moons and NOT to waxing/waning, then we'd expect to see all or almost all Dark Luminas right now. If it's connected to waxing/waning, we'd expect to see about 50/50. If both are taken into account, the fact that both moons are Crescent (dim) and one is waning means it ought to parse out to about 75% dark/25% light. Too many light Luminas appearing will mean a high probability that I'm entirely wrong about the moons. So, here we go!

Since I'm pretty sure at this point that the sexes/species of the parents are not relevant, listing only the numbers of each Lumina, off-breeds, and no-eggs.

Dark Luminas: 13

Light Luminas: 0

Off-Breeds: 1

No-Eggs: 5

100% of Lumina eggs were Dark Luminas. This seems to be a clear falsification of the waxing/waning hypothesis, while supporting the moon phase hypothesis. Until a clear falsification of the phase hypothesis occurs, my next breeding attempts will be focused on trying to determine whether one moon or both moons affect them.

Edited by Lurhstaap

2 Dark Luminae in the Forest: vtuec & qxheu

1 Dark Lumina in the Desert: zitcw

day, sun rising, fall, aurax waxing crescent, cirion waning crescent

Edited by Ruby Eyes

Until the moons change, please report any sighting of a Light Lumina in the cave! It may indicate either that CBs use a different rule or that waxing/waning do count after all and my sample size was just too small to show it (or it could be a total falsification of the whole idea). In any event it would be very valuable data. Right now, Darks are the expected one based on the phase hypothesis.

As I've been saying, breeding seems to show more of a tendency towards dark luminas than the cave, with breeding producing almost exclusively darks during times when the cave is producing both. It probably just means that the ratios trying to populate the darks are affecting breeding more.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Until the moons change, please report any sighting of a Light Lumina in the cave!

I'd love to, I just don't see any. I'll still keep reporting Dark ones just for numerical statistics, and because I won't pay attention to the phases at all - I just note them here. If I start *not* looking out for either Lumina type, I'll just forget it entirely because my brain (mis-)functions that way.

So, 2 more Dark Luminae (ax5a7 in the Desert, amjvq in the Volcano) and zero Light ones ...

night, fall, Aurax waxing gibbous, Cirion new.

Again only 3 Dark ones: ssd86 in the Forest, atdxr in the Jungle, okmyq in the Volcano

no light ones to be seen anywhere

day, sun is rising, fall, Aurax waxing gibbous, Cirion new.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

As I've been saying, breeding seems to show more of a tendency towards dark luminas than the cave, with breeding producing almost exclusively darks during times when the cave is producing both.  It probably just means that the ratios trying to populate the darks are affecting breeding more.

So with one moon now bright and the other dim, we should begin seeing roughly 50/50 darks and lights, but possibly with more bias toward darks still due to their newness and the ratios as noted by Pokemonfan13.

Oddly, that has actually not been my experience. There have been breedings where I got mostly or all Lights. I may be wrong that there is a pattern, but I'm doing my best to tease it out if it exists.

Right now, one moon is light and the other is dark. So while Pokemonfan13 is probably correct that the newness of Dark Luminas is going to skew the results toward Darks for a while in any event, if my hypothesis about the phases and both moons being relevant is correct, we should begin to see at least -some- light Luminas in the cave and from breeding now. If we continue to see ONLY dark Luminas, that is a clue that they may be tied to only one moon, the one that is currently dark. (Or else the ratios are just THAT overwhelming, but like I said, I've bred and seen lights, sometimes a lot of them.)

Edited by Lurhstaap

0 Light Luminae so far today, and 1 Dark: 1ndon in the Forest

Another Dark one: okoyr in the Jungle

day, sun is rising, fall, Aurax waxing gibbous, Cirion waxing crescent

What if it's not the moon phase but the ratios preventing Light Luminae from showing up?

Edited by Ruby Eyes

It's possible, but I don't think that's the case, if only because I HAVE seen light Luminas in the cave and bred them since darks came out, and there's no reason the ratios would be suppressing the lights -more- now than they were a week or two ago when that happened. The ratios are almost certainly favoring darks, but it wouldn't be to the point of TOTALLY eliminating lights.

Accidentally just picked up a Light Lumina: JvZYY

Also in the Forest: Dark Lumina 4pjro (caps messed)

day, sun is rising, fall, Aurax waxing gibbous, Cirion waxing crescent

Edited by Ruby Eyes

I just picked up a dark Lumina

desert, Time of Day: It is day. , Season: Fall,

Aurax (Golden moon) Waxing gibbous

Cirion (Blue moon) Waxing crescent

Found a Light one "ZmC7c"

day, sun is rising, fall, both moons are waxing gibbous

haven't seen a Dark one yet today.

Time of Day: It is day. The sun is rising.

Season: Fall

Aurax (Golden moon): Waxing gibbous

Cirion (Blue moon): Waxing gibbous

light lumina in alpine - hbxsi

light lumina bred from light lumina x light lumina - zbifk

light lumina bred from light lumina x light lumina - aetto

light lumina bred from light lumina x brown copper - qgiml

dark lumina bred from light lumina x light lumina - 0xsos

dark lumina bred from light lumina x light lumina - OQNZK

Edited by miaou

Light Lumina in Volcano (abncs), Coast (evu7e)

day, sun is rising, fall, both moons waxing gibbous

Edited by Ruby Eyes

I've just bred 6 pairs - got 'no egg' five times and light Lumina egg. It was added to spreadsheet.

And I haven't seen any Lumina in biomes today.

Of course, light Lumina appeared in jungle just after I posted rolleyes.gif . It was added to the sheet too.

Edited by Verse

Caught two Lumina yesterday (Jan. 3) and bred two Dark Lumina tonight (Jan. 4), all during the night DC time. Waxing Crescent and Waning Gibbous. All of them have been added to the spreadsheet.

Phases haven't changed recently, but number of Dark Lumina that appears in cave now is noticeably bigger than at the beginning of waxing crescent / waning crescent period. While just after last change it was difficult to spot any kind of Lumina in biomes, at this moment it's difficult to not see at least one Dark Lumina every 5 minutes.

Maybe every day (or other period of time) of lunar cycle has its own set of chances in obtaining dark or light Lumina?