• Aurax's Current Lunar Phase:

user posted image

• Cirion's Current Lunar Phase:

user posted image

• Current Likelihood of Luminae Family Eggs:

image.png

• New Lumina Breeding Datasheet: Link

• Old Lumina Breeding Spreadsheet: Link 

• Pinkgothic's Daily Dragon Fix page that shows which Luminae Family Egg is dropping and when it will drop: Link
  • Millie_Azure's long term Valkemare Lunar Cycle calendar: user posted image Link
    • includes Lunar Herald Breeding Calendar
  • Information Compilation post: Link:---

OLDER UPDATES!

On 7/20/2017 at 2:40 AM, Alectrona said:

New Spreadsheet: Link(Please enter data here now.)

Old Spreadsheet: Link (For your viewing pleasure.)

Link to Shokomon's post with a handy overview of all the moon phases and probabilities.

So, here is what we know:

On 7/20/2017 at 4:14 AM, Shokomon said:

If it helps any, all we really know is that Cirion Full Moons are your best bet for a Lumina and Cirion New Moons are your best bet for Dark Luminae, and all the phases in between are a ratio between those two settings.

Corteo said:
Some thoughts on the Dark Luminas:

They aren't a new dragon.

The spirits were completed about three and a half years ago - waiting for the right moment.  

They aren't alts.

Even though they share hatchling sprites, Dark Luminas are a cousin breed. As such their behavior is actually quite different than their light cousins.  Where as the light Luminae are fairly nice, dark lumina will mess you right up.

Dark Luminas are intentionally sleeker. 

They are also longer, faster, and smarter.

They are tamable but are a bit like monkeys - they can live with you for years but someday just snap.  The younger you get them the less likely they will snap.

There has been some speculation about how breeding works.

I'm not going to revel how it works because that's no fun, but it's not simply luck - I'll say that much.

And here are some fun facts by Corteo himself:

Corteo said:

Congratulations! You have subscribed to DarkLuminaFacts®

Did you know that the meat of Dark Lumina is much more gamey than their light cousins?

A group of Dark Lumina is called a "Stáya" while a group of Light Lumina is called a "Tabún"

The eggs of Dark Luminae are heavier than Light Luminae.

A king by the name of Andreas once tried to make a Dark Lumina dragon into an ornament of his court and a play thing. The Dark Lumina promptly tore him apart, much to the joy of the kings successor. Some speculate that the successor bribed the Dark Lumina with a flock of sheep.

Edited by dustpuppy

Here are some templates if anyone would like to make some lineages: (Thank you to Ruby Eyes for the template of the templates! I hope you're alright with me making these ones.)

Male:

user posted image

Female:

user posted image

Edited by lovecats99

Radiant Angel X lumina also produces dark lumina (for your list).

I think since anything and everything X lumina is producing dark lumina right now and it is not "random", then it might be linked to some kind of phases just like lunar heralds. It won't be time of the day since dark egg can be produced in both day and night as per what we saw in news.

Edited by Amaterasu-sama

Got two Dark Lumina eggs, one from male and one from female white Striped.

Right now it looks like Amaterasu-sama is right. I wonder what phase it could be?

Shokomon posted an analysis in the news thread (not sure if I manage the correct quote):

Oh, boy. That means we got a wait a head of us.

user posted image

The current phases are the moons is Waning Crescent for Aurax and Waxing Gibbous for Cirion.

<snip rest of lousy quote format>

Thanks, Shokomon, that looks much better!

Edited by walkinslow

I think Lumina breeding might be affected by DC's lunar phases, but it's just a wild guess.

Oh, boy. That means we got a wait a head of us.

user posted image

The current phases are the moons is Waning Crescent for Aurax and Waxing Gibbous for Cirion.

When the eggs were released, it was August 21, Day 10 of the lunar cycle, when the phases were Waning Crescent for Aurax and Waning Crescent for Cirion. The next time we will reach those phases again will be September 22.

- So we will have to follow the breeding patter for a month to establish what the breeding cycle is if Luminas follow the lunar pathway.

At least, there's just two eggs this time.

I'm not doing that though.

--

Reference:

user posted image

(Where New = New Moon, WXC = Waxing Crescent, WXG = Waxing Gibbous, FULL = Full Moon, WNG = Waning Gibbous, WNC = Waning Crescent)

Quoting from the news thread, because lazy.

Also, we know, it's not limited to day or night, because peiple in the news thread have reported breeding Dark Luminas in the day.

It's not based on color or mana either. Nor gender. (At least it didn't matter for my Magma×Lumina pairings).

Other options include Biome-based breeding and Season-based breeding.

Edit: ninja.gif'd. Lol.

Edited by Shokomon

From comments here and in the News thread, it doesn't sound like anyone is breeding (Light) Luminas right now. Am I mistaken?

That certainly points towards breeding being either influenced by the lunar cycle or seasonal, and against it being a biome thing.

Edited by WatersMoon110

Other options include Biome-based breeding and Season-based breeding.

Edit: ninja.gif'd. Lol.

I just bred Lumina x something at random from each biome and got all dark Luminae. Just for fun tried one that was pre-biome cave and still got dark.

theres a white lumina in the alpine so the drops arent influenced by the moon

Did you catch it? What was the description? We need proof, please.

---

Bringing over relevent quotes from the news thread:

I got a D. Lumina breeding a Albino with a Lumina. Lineage link. So it's probably not color based. Albinos have a neutral mana affiliation, so that could still be a possibility...

ETA: I also got one breeding a Lumina with a Candelabra Lineage link. Dark color but Light mana... huh. Interesting.

My final Lumina was bred with a Nebula (Green). It was dark again. Lineage link. I have no idea what will produce a white Lumina.

Bred my male Lumina with a Yellow-crowned, whose mana affinity is Light. The egg produced was a dark one. Added lineage link: https://dragcave.net/lineage/eULIV

Hm, it doesn't seem to be a day/night variation of the Luminas.

I just (2:25 pm cavetime, so daytime) bred this little dark one.

And about the "Alt" thing: Is it still called an Alt when the eggs have different descriptions ? Or is the only relevant fact that one version can breed the other ?

@Corteo:

Since by "recolour" I just meant that the adult sprites will probably look like their white counterparts, only with another colour scheme, I don't think my guess is really interesting. wink.gif The hatchie already did that, after all.

Welp, I'm never getting a time egg, so I'm going to bred a Lumina instead...and hope to catch a time egg because I want one.

user posted image

I really glad I bred these guys with Magmas now. The color combo is wonderful.

I still think Luminas should shed their skin when the come in contract with a dragon covered in magma, but I can't get everything I want.

I bred one of my lumina pairs and the egg was the dark type.

Yes. I've bred my 10 Lumina with 10 different dragons (some dark, some light) and got JUST the new cold egg each time. Maybe Lumina will only breed cold eggs until the ratios even out and the light Lumina will be rare for a bit.

Luminas are breeding the new black eggs!!

http://dragcave.net/lineage/ZiQDq

Well, we're in day time now, and when I tried breeding my Luminas I still got a black/cold egg (it was auto abandoned BTW, happy catching).

Luminas produce the cold egg:

user posted image

user posted image

Edited by Shokomon

Confirmed, I just saw one myself in the forest at 7:26 pm ET. No room to catch, though, so I won't share the code.

user posted image

Even went to the lineage to double check it. Far left is a lumina.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

no i didnt catch it because im egglocked but the description was this egg shines brightly in the sunlight. unfortunately i didnt take a screenshot but sock has provided one

@Sockpuppet Strangler: Thank you for that!

@Cellybean: It's all good. At leadt you said something to get people on the look out for it.

--

So, if it's not lunar or season or day linked.

What is it?

Could it be CB versus Bred linked?

Will we be unable to bred normal Luminas any more???!!

D:

---

Also, I put a lot of proof quotes in my previous post.

@Sockpuppet Strangler: Thank you for that!

@Cellybean: It's all good. At leadt you said something to get people on the look out for it.

--

What is it?

D:

---

Also, I put a lot of proof quotes in my previous post.

i think maybe cb are separate breeds but since the darks are a new breed they're dominating the ratios over the lights

same goes for breeding i think its just ratios

i think maybe cb are separate breeds but since the darks are a new breed they're dominating the ratios over the lights

same goes for breeding i think its just ratios

As far as I know, nobody has bred a light lumina since the release. If you remember, even when Stormriders were released people still bred electrics and costal waverunners.

As much as I'd like to believe this, I don't think this is statistically possible. The only thing I can think of is that maybe they alternate between breeding Dark and Light Luminas?

I think they'll breed according to the moons, but I'm not sure how exactly.

Good point. We don't know yet if they breed according to the moon, but we know that they don't drop according to the moon.

What is it?

D:

So, keep in mind:

- When a breed is first released, we get a wave of it because the breed is starting at 0 and trying to catch up to other breeds population-wise

- Even long after the first initial drop, new commons breed like mega-commons. TJ has said in the past that breed/cave numbers are separted, and with those results, I believe that should still be true.

So honestly, if there is some special mechanism with these guys, I would ignore the initial drop/take the initial drop observations with a grain of salt. And I would side-eye breeding results for a while because, while we got a flood of caveborn dark luminas, I doubt enough of us bred to flood bred dark luminas, at least not in any capacity to even out breed ratios. Considering this can take upwards of months (at least) to even out for other commons.

So I don't know that I'd give up on any of your theories yet, tbh. I do think it'll take some patience to figure out how luminas work now, and I do think we should throw around multiple theories, but I don't think we should be so quick to dismiss theories. =o

EDIT:

Blank luminati templates (psst, lovecats, you put an extra draggie in there ;3 ): https://i.imgur.com/GJHxMcQ.png / https://i.imgur.com/TJHYlyj.png

Album: http://imgur.com/a/0ZjE1 / http://imgur.com/a/0ZjE1/layout/horizontal

Just did almerald, lumina, kingcrowne, and winter magi.

user posted imageuser posted image

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I don't think it will be seasonal because what logic or relationship seasons have to light and darkness?

It is possible that moon phases only impact bred eggs. OR perhaps in one phase one egg drops more than the other. For eg. In a moon phase favoring dark lumina, the cave drops say.. 7 dark and 3 white lumina.

I think it is way too far fetched to assume light lumina will never breed its own kind, I personally think that is extremely unlikely to happen, if not impossible.

If it's really depending on both moons, my guess is that we won't see light Luminas bred through the end of next week, basically until golden Lunars drop again ...

If it's depending on only 1 moon, we'd probably see a change much earlier ...

I think Amaterasu-sama's idea seems to fit best so far, with light/dark ratio depending on one or both moons ...

Edited by Ruby Eyes

I don't think it will be seasonal because what logic or relationship seasons have to light and darkness?

It is possible that moon phases only impact bred eggs. OR perhaps in one phase one egg drops more than the other. For eg. In a moon phase favoring dark lumina, the cave drops say.. 7 dark and 3 white lumina.

I think it is way too far fetched to assume light lumina will never breed its own kind, I personally think that is extremely unlikely to happen, if not impossible.

Well if you want to get technical, depending on where you live, certain seasons correspond with longer days and shorter nights and vice versa.

For the US, located in the norther hemisphere, as we approach the fall and winter months, days get shorter and the nights get longer, until the winter solstice. Then, the days get longer until the summer solstice, and then the cycle repeats. On the days of the spring and fall equinox, the length of the day and night are near equal.

- Like this:

Winter Solstice ---> Spring Equinox --> Summer Equinox --> Fall Equinox ---> Repeat.

Longest Night --days get longer--> Equal Day/Night --days get longer--> Longest Day --days get shorter--> Equal Day/Night ----> Repeat.

So, it could be related to that.

- Probably not though.

--

Anyway, they could be related to the lunar cycle, but probably only for breeding since we got normal luminas appearing in the cave before the phase changes.

The next change is tomorrow, August 26, 2016 at 8PM Dragon Cave/Eastern Daylight Time (UTC-4:00), where Aurax will become New Moon Phase, and Cirion becomes Full Moon phase.

- And the last phase change was on August 22, 2016 at 8PM DC/EDT, when the phases became Waning Crescent for Aurax and Waning Gibbous for Cirion.

An option could be that for CB's, the moon phases affect the percentage of Luminas and D. Luminas show up.

- Like when Aurax is dominant in the sky, we get more Luminas than D. Luminas in the cave.

- And when Cirion is dominant in the sky, we get more D. Luminas than Luminas in the cave.

But that would take heavy duty tracking of people catching luminas to confirm. I feel like it would be too complicated though.

For bred Luminas, it might be worth tracking people to see if any Normal Luminas pop up during the next couple of phase changes. You still got to track it for a month though.

What if the light/dark Luminas are effected by a mechanism yet announced? We are trying to connect the change to things we already know effect other dragons in the cave. What about the Celestials? With their introduction came Corporealize. I don't think it's a BSA like the Celestials. I'm thinking something more like the introduction of eclipses, either lunar or solar. The cave has more then one moon - maybe their paths cross with each other and the sun more frequently then ours do.

What confuses me is the fact that the light eggs are dropping while the dark eggs are "in season" for breeding (more proof).

Could it be that one type is dropping while the other is breedable, and vice versa? Of course that theory goes right out the window if Dark Luminas are dropping in the cave too right now, so... are they?