dustpuppy

Dark Lumina breeding theories

I'll breed all my Luminae Family dragons today/tomorrow if that will help.

Edit: after the phase change, I mean.

Edited by Shokomon

It will help for sure, there're 7 bred eggs reported when Cirion is New. At least we will know, more or less, whether getting them from breeding on that day is difficult or not.

Here are the fixed charts, with newer data included (and probably that's the thing that makes difference).

And chart with comparison of totals: user posted image

I'm not even saying to base it on the real data.  But if we assume the basic pattern of darks are most available on the new moon and least available on the full moon is true, we can make a simple assumption about the rest of the time (like filling it in with a straight line plot) that would allow for a first approximation of an indicator image.  I almost guarantee that it would need to be adjusted later once we get more data, but it would be good enough to let people know not to breed for a dark on a full moon or a waning gibbous.

A quick and dirty graph on graph paper of a straight line plot shows that the 50-50 change over, ratios being equal, would occur on day 5 and day 13, with day 1 being 100% lights and day 9 100% darks.

We don't know it's a straight line connection, it could be more like a sine wave for all we know, but for now a straight line is the easiest to model for a proposed beta rotator.  And that's exactly what this first rotator would be: a first guess at the pattern that lets people have a better understanding of when to breed/hunt for what.

Another option for a rotator would be to literally just visually display Cirion's current phase, with a link to a page that explains that Cirion's phase is linked to the Light/Dark Lumina breeding, with the more moon showing meaning a higher chance of Lights, with less moon meaning a higher chance of Darks.  That would probably be best for a beta, as it just gives the general pattern, not any concrete figures.

user posted image

You mean something like this? (aka a really quick Excel chart assuming that Full is 1.00 for Light and 0.00 for Dark, while New is 0.00 for Light and 1.00 for Dark, and that every day it changes by 1/8.)

- With a really terrible polynomial trend-line.

- Note: I always mark Full as Day 0 (carry over from the Moon Watch Thread), so the numbers are off by 1 comparing to Verse's data, but they match up relatively regardless.

That looks really nice. But I'm now thinking that a simple Cirion visualization that links to the theory about how it generally affects the Lumina availability would be best at this stage. It lets people figure out when they should breed their dragons or go hunting, but doesn't give any specifics, like an implied "today they will be dropping 50/50".

Just bred 4/6 of my Luminae Family Dragons.

I need to find mates for the other two...xd.png

I guess we need to bother a fansite to host a page for the beta version?

Maybe, if the trend in the data holds true, then, a possible button series could look like this:

user posted image

Where,

- The cycle of buttons moves counterclockwise.

- The button with the Cirion Full Moon (Topmost Left) shows almost only Lumina Egg.

- The button with the Cirion New Moon (Bottom-most Right) shows almost only Dark Lumina Egg.

- The buttons in-between shift the egg two the left or right depending on the phase and day of the Cirion Lunar Cycle.

- The Day of the First Cirion Waning Crescent and the Day of the First Cirion Waxing Gibbous are 50/50 chance of getting Luminae or Dark Luminae.

(Aka I wanted to see how a shifting cycling image would work.)

Now let's see if this is true.

Edit: Adding things.

Also, maybe for the information page, maybe something like having the phase up, and then a little information blip about breeding probability. Like this:

user posted image

"Today is Day 8 of the Cirion Lunar Cycle. The current Moon Phase is New Moon.

There is a very high probability of catching/breeding Dark Luminae today."

(Side note: This is the actual phase today until 8:00PM DC/EDT.)

Or any of the following.

user posted image

- "Today is Day 9 of the Cirion Lunar Cycle. The current Moon Phase is Waxing Crescent.

There is a much higher probability of catching/breeding Dark Luminae than Luminae today."

- "Today is Day 10 of the Cirion Lunar Cycle. The current Moon Phase is Waxing Crescent.

There is a somewhat higher probability of catching/breeding Dark Luminae than Luminae today."

- "Today is Day 11 of the Cirion Lunar Cycle. The current Moon Phase is Waxing Crescent.

There is a slightly higher probability of catching/breeding Dark Luminae than Luminae today."

user posted image

- "Today is Day 12 of the Cirion Lunar Cycle. The current Moon Phase is Waxing Gibbous

The probability of catching/breeding Dark Lumina and Lumina is about 50/50 today."

- "Today is Day 13 of the Cirion Lunar Cycle. The current Moon Phase is Waxing Gibbous.

There is a slightly lower probability of catching/breeding Dark Luminae than Luminae today."

- "Today is Day 14 of the Cirion Lunar Cycle. The current Moon Phase is Waxing Gibbous.

There is a somewhat lower probability of catching/breeding Dark Luminae than Luminae today."

- "Today is Day 15 of the Cirion Lunar Cycle. The current Moon Phase is Waxing Gibbous.

There is a much lower probability of catching/breeding Dark Luminae than Luminae today."

user posted image

"Today is Day 0 of the Cirion Lunar Cycle. The current Moon Phase is Full Moon.

There is a very high probability of catching/breeding Lumina today."

user posted image

- Today is Day 1 of the Cirion Lunar Cycle. The current Moon Phase is Waning Gibbous.

There is a much higher probability of catching/breeding Luminae than Dark Luminae today."

- Today is Day 2 of the Cirion Lunar Cycle. The current Moon Phase is Waning Gibbous.

There is a somewhat higher probability of catching/breeding Luminae than Dark Luminae today."

- Today is Day 3 of the Cirion Lunar Cycle. The current Moon Phase is Waning Gibbous.

There is a slighty higher probability of catching/breeding Luminae than Dark Luminae today."

user posted image

- Today is Day 4 of the Cirion Lunar Cycle. The current Moon Phase is Waning Crescent.

The probability of catching/breeding Lumina and Dark Lumina is about 50/50 today."

-Today is Day 5 of the Cirion Lunar Cycle. The current Moon Phase is Waning Crescent.

There is a slighty lower probability of catching/breeding Luminae than Dark Luminae today."

- Today is Day 6 of the Cirion Lunar Cycle. The current Moon Phase is Waning Crescent.

There is a somewhat lower probability of catching/breeding Luminae than Dark Luminae today."

- Today is Day 7 of the Cirion Lunar Cycle. The current Moon Phase is Waning Crescent.

There is a much lower probability of catching/breeding Luminae than Dark Luminae today."

And repeat.

idk, I'm just typing out ideas.

This may not even be right; more data could change everything.

Edited by Shokomon

The images are a neat idea, but I think it's a little too noisy with the star background. The purpose of these is to convey information, and extra extraneous decoration tends to obscure the information. Like I really couldn't tell what was going on with the two eggs without looking through the entire circle, and the moon doesn't stand out from the stars as much as it probably should. They will be presented as singular images that people will have the be able to interpret, rather than having to click for the info page just to understand what the image was supposed to be telling them.

The images are a neat idea, but I think it's a little too noisy with the star background.  The purpose of these is to convey information, and extra extraneous decoration tends to obscure the information.  Like I really couldn't tell what was going on with the two eggs without looking through the entire circle, and the moon doesn't stand out from the stars as much as it probably should.  They will be presented as singular images that people will have the be able to interpret, rather than having to click for the info page just to understand what the image was supposed to be telling them.

Like the moon and eggs should all be individual images? Like a Cirion phase image (which exists already), an image for Dark Luminae, and an image for Luminae, rather than one single images that does all 3?

Or should I just remove the stars from the background abd try to make the shift between the eggs more apparent?

Also, what do you think about the page descriptions though?

Edit: Typos.

Edited by Shokomon

I think one with a simple background would be a good thing to try next. I like the idea of some indication with the eggs, but I'm not sure how them fading really works when you're dealing with singular images. With the whole loop, I can see how they fade in an out, but it will be a lot more ambiguous with a single image, especially how the dark lumina egg never really stands out against the dark background.

Maybe what would be best at this stage is a simple Cirion phase image, and if the moon is larger it would be workable to have the stars. It's linking to an explanation page, and once people know the theory behind the cycle, the amount of moon showing is really all that's needed.

The text is fine, but you seem to switch back and forth between the singular and the plural. It would also need a general theory to go along with "this is what today is". Something like:

"Based on data gathered, the Lumina breeding cycle is based on the Cirion lunar cycle, with dark luminas most available on the new moon, and light luminas most available on the full moon. How they mix between is not entirely certain, but overall the more the moon shows the easier it will be to obtain light luminas, and the less moon shows the easier it will be to obtain dark luminas."

It needs polishing, but that kind of idea.

Well, there is the Cirion Phase Button in the Quick View of the DC Moon Watch Thread. But, I never really intended that to be used in signatures.

And a quick edit to the button set with blank background and more visible eggs. Does this work better? Or is the simple Cirion image the way to go?

user posted image --> user posted image

- I think the added effect of the moon moving helps a little.

- Edit: Note - the starless version moves through the cycle in a clockwise fasion.

@angelicdragonpuppy: Nope. They haven't even confirmed it. When I asked for permission to use the eggs, all they said was that the thread was very impressive. (and that the pm was in no way confirmatory towards our current theory.) We are on our own.

Edited by Shokomon

I think one with a simple background would be a good thing to try next.  I like the idea of some indication with the eggs, but I'm not sure how them fading really works when you're dealing with singular images.  With the whole loop, I can see how they fade in an out, but it will be a lot more ambiguous with a single image, especially how the dark lumina egg never really stands out against the dark background.

Maybe what would be best at this stage is a simple Cirion phase image, and if the moon is larger it would be workable to have the stars.  It's linking to an explanation page, and once people know the theory behind the cycle, the amount of moon showing is really all that's needed.

The text is fine, but you seem to switch back and forth between the singular and the plural.  It would also need a general theory to go along with "this is what today is".  Something like:

"Based on data gathered, the Lumina breeding cycle is based on the Cirion lunar cycle, with dark luminas most available on the new moon, and light luminas most available on the full moon.  How they mix between is not entirely certain, but overall the more the moon shows the easier it will be to obtain light luminas, and the less moon shows the easier it will be to obtain dark luminas."

It needs polishing, but that kind of idea.

I will go and search the post, that confirmed that the official plural for Lumina is Luminae.

The best is to be vague about the 100% change for a Dark Lumina at new moon for the moon Cirion and the percentage of the mixture between Dark and Light Luminae between full and new moon.

Do not say something is certain in this forum, we all like a litte drama, don't we? rolleyes.gif

@Shokomon

The starless version is great!

Okay, i found one post written by Corteo... but now i am confused:

https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showt...dpost&p=9280630

He mentions Dark Luminas and is a writing something about Luninae and means the Light cousin breed... ninja.gif

Edited by Tigerkralle

He mentions Dark Luminas and is a writing something about Luninae and means the Light cousin breed...  ninja.gif

I think the options are then: plural depends on breed or both plurals are ok.

I bred 5 light Lumina/holiday dragon pairs and one Light/Dark Lumina and all of them produced dark Lumina eggs. Yesterday Cirion phase was New, so there's no surprise here.

He mentions Dark Luminas and is a writing something about Luninae and means the Light cousin breed... ninja.gif

I think he meant to state that they are related, but not alt versions of the same breed.

@Shokomon: those are great! The starless one is easier to see but the one with stars is very pretty. biggrin.gif

I wasn't saying anything about the form of plural used. I was saying that sometimes singular, and sometimes plural is used.

"There is a much higher probability of catching/breeding Luminae than Dark Luminae today."

"The probability of catching/breeding Dark Lumina and Lumina is about 50/50 today."

{snip}

Also, maybe for the information page, maybe something like having the phase up, and then a little information blip about breeding probability. Like this:

Currently:

user posted image

"Today is Day 10 of the Cirion Lunar Cycle. The current Moon Phase is Waxing Crescent.

There is a somewhat higher probability of catching/breeding Dark Luminae than Luminae today."

(Side note: This is the actual phase today until 8:00PM DC/EDT.)

"Summary: Based on data gathered, the Luminae Family Breeding Cycle is based on the Cirion Lunar Cycle, where Dark Luminae are most available during the Cirion new moon, and 'Light' Luminae are most available during the Cirion full moon. The ratio of Dark Luminae to Luminae on phases in-between the new and full moons is not entirely certain, but overall, the closer Cirion is to full moon phase, the easier it will be to obtain Luminae, and the closer Cirion is to new moon phase. the easier it will be to obtain dark luminas."

Shorthand:

Luminae are easiest to get during the Cirion Full Moon.

Luminae are easier to get during Cirion Gibbous phases, while Dark Luminae are harder to get.

Dark Luminae are easier to get during Cirion Crescent phases, while Luminae are harder to get.

Dark Luminae are easier to get during the Cirion New Moon."---

The current text can change to show any of the following:

user posted image

There is a very high probability of catching/breeding Luminae today."

user posted image

- "Today is Day 1 of the Cirion Lunar Cycle. The current Moon Phase is Waning Gibbous.

There is a much higher probability of catching/breeding Luminae than Dark Luminae today."

- "Today is Day 2 of the Cirion Lunar Cycle. The current Moon Phase is Waning Gibbous.

There is a somewhat higher probability of catching/breeding Luminae than Dark Luminae today."

- "Today is Day 3 of the Cirion Lunar Cycle. The current Moon Phase is Waning Gibbous.

There is a slighty higher probability of catching/breeding Luminae than Dark Luminae today."

user posted image

- "Today is Day 4 of the Cirion Lunar Cycle. The current Moon Phase is Waning Crescent.

The probability of catching/breeding Luminae and Dark Luminae is about 50/50 today."

- "Today is Day 5 of the Cirion Lunar Cycle. The current Moon Phase is Waning Crescent.

There is a slightly higher probability of catching/breeding Dark Luminae than Luminae today."

- "Today is Day 6 of the Cirion Lunar Cycle. The current Moon Phase is Waning Crescent.

- "Today is Day 7 of the Cirion Lunar Cycle. The current Moon Phase is Waning Crescent.

There is a much higher probability of catching/breeding Dark Luminae than Luminae today."

user posted image

"Today is Day 8 of the Cirion Lunar Cycle. The current Moon Phase is New Moon.

There is a very high probability of catching/breeding Dark Luminae today."

user posted image

- "Today is Day 9 of the Cirion Lunar Cycle. The current Moon Phase is Waxing Crescent.

- "Today is Day 10 of the Cirion Lunar Cycle. The current Moon Phase is Waxing Crescent.

- "Today is Day 11 of the Cirion Lunar Cycle. The current Moon Phase is Waxing Crescent.

user posted image

- "Today is Day 12 of the Cirion Lunar Cycle. The current Moon Phase is Waxing Gibbous

The probability of catching/breeding Dark Luminae and Luminae is about 50/50 today."

- "Today is Day 13 of the Cirion Lunar Cycle. The current Moon Phase is Waxing Gibbous.

- "Today is Day 14 of the Cirion Lunar Cycle. The current Moon Phase is Waxing Gibbous.

- "Today is Day 15 of the Cirion Lunar Cycle. The current Moon Phase is Waxing Gibbous.

---

And repeat.

{snip}

Quoting this with updated to the plural mistakes and ordering of phrases, because the lower probability thing bothered me.

- I also added and adjust the summary PokemonFan made, and added a Shorthand version, because I just realized Gibbous phases tend to have more 'Light' Luminae, while Crescent phases tend to have more Darks.

Also, I made a gif:

user posted image

- Now you can see it change in one go.

Any comments? Critiques? Complaints?

Watch this all be wrong.

It will help for sure, there're 7 bred eggs reported when Cirion is New. At least we will know, more or less, whether getting them from breeding on that day is difficult or not.

Here are the fixed charts, with newer data included (and probably that's the thing that makes difference).

And chart with comparison of totals: user posted image

Quoting this so people can see for themselves where the data stands on the current theory (posted above).

Just added the two Dark Luminas I bred today (from Blue Gemshards) to the spreadsheet.

And allow me to say: I'm really, really impressed by the persistence of everyone who worked on this thread !

And almost as much by the fact that you finally found a pattern, with so many variables as there were in the beginning !

@Shokomon:

The starless Lumina status monitor looks mightily helpful, great idea ! You are the Master of Moons when it comes to DC breeding. wink.gif

Something like this? Or should I get rid of Aurax (or phases) completely? I divided it in half to make it shorter. user posted image

Also, I made the same charts as previous ones, but for Cirion cycle only.

Okay! The Cirion Full Moon occurs today, April 7, 2017 at 8:00 PM EST/DC!

We need people to catch bred Luminae and Dark Luminae for the next 16 days! This will give us more data for the Cirion theory!

We need at least 10 eggs a day!

Please help us out!

Edit: Here is the spreadsheet: Luminae Breeding

- I really need to make a new one with just time, date, and Lunar Cycle... I made a copy a while ago... I should modify that.

Edited by Shokomon

Well ... I got 1 Light Lumina (from 2 Dark Luminae) and 4 "no egg" (Dark Luminae with holidays) despite Fertility.

The one: https://dragcave.net/progeny/hC9bS

Nice! Though, what time did you breed them? I can add it to the doc for you, if you haven't already.

Technically the newest cycle starts at 8pm tonight though. Oh well.

On another note:

I (finally) made a new spreadsheet with just the basic egg information and the lunar cycle information to put in, instead of having all the things like parent biome and stuff like that.

- If we move over to the new sheet, do you want me port all the data from the old sheet to the new sheet? 'Cause that might take a bit.

- Or do we want to start over?

Nice! Though, what time did you breed them? I can add it to the doc for you, if you haven't already.

About post time. And no, I didn't, I just bred and reported here.

About post time. And no, I didn't, I just bred and reported here.

Alright. I'll add it assuming that the post time is the breed time. (Though an accurate time can be found on the action page.)

On another note:

user posted image

It's catching and breeding time! Please help out!

Edit: Added it to the doc!

Edited by Shokomon