dustpuppy

Dark Lumina breeding theories

I posted in Tiny Little Questions, and it's been suggested that I also post in here, to help track Luminas.

Haven't seen any normal Luminas in the Cave for about a week now - only Dark Luminas. Lots and lots of Dark Luminas.

Tried to breed some Luminas from my scroll a couple of days ago (8 Jan), and they produced Dark Lumina eggs. Also, my Dark Luminas produced Dark Lumina eggs.

Was able to breed another couple of Luminas just now, and they produced Dark Lumina eggs.

I picked the wrong time to go hunting for Luminas. tongue.gif

Just found a Light Lumina (haven't seen any dark ones today): OQBPD

It is day. The sun is rising. Both moons are Full.

SO,

I bred a light lumina yesterday after about 4 weeks of the same pair breeding dark.

Has there been a pattern established or are these like dorsals and ridgewings-- get what you get ?

https://dragcave.net/progeny/pLA1O

also bred one today- first of the pair so no reference really

https://dragcave.net/progeny/oXDum

Edited by dragonpuck

SO,

I bred a light lumina yesterday after about 4 weeks of the same pair breeding dark.

Has there been a pattern established or are these like dorsals and ridgewings-- get what you get ?

https://dragcave.net/progeny/pLA1O

also bred one today- first of the pair so no reference really

https://dragcave.net/progeny/oXDum

It looks like it's connected with time somehow, but we still don't know exactly how. Dark Lumina seems to appear the most frequently on days when Cirion is new. There are also lots of them when Cirion's phase is crescent. On the other hand, when Aurax is new and Cirion full it's difficult to get any Lumina from breeding - people reported they didn't get single dark/light Lumina egg out of around 18 attempts.

I bred my 7 pairs yesterday and got 2 Lumina eggs and 3 Dark eggs.

I just did some stats analysis in Excel with the stuff on the right hand side of Shokomon's spreadsheet (hope that's ok!). I had to take a break from my uni course for health reasons and I've been getting itchy with the lack of stats biggrin.gif

The moon phases are in the order listed on the spreadsheet. I named them P1, P2, etc for convenience.

https://s6.postimg.org/s9pit04mp/lumina_data.png ~Linked for size~

Conclusion, in statistical terms: I did a chi-squared test for independence, and got a test statistic of 428.4. This is ridiculous compared to the two critical values I checked: 19.675 and 31.264. I used an online calculator to work out the p-value, because I was too lazy to do it myself, and I maxed the poor thing out. It gave me an answer of "< 0.00001". So there is very strong statistical evidence to support the hypothesis of an association between moon phases and the colours of eggs caught/bred. However, correllation does not necessarily imply causation, and I want to look at a longer-term graph to verify the existence of seasonal variation.

Conclusion, in plain english: It's definitely tied to time, and probably tied to moon phases, but I'm not sure exactly how. In particular, Dark Lumina numbers seem higher when Cirion is new or crescent-shaped. I'm gonna try doing another graph that just looks at dates instead of phases, when I can figure out how to make my UK-settings Excel cooperate with the US date formatting on the sheet >_<

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

It's fine for you to analyze the data.

I hadn't had time to go through the sheet myself.

So many other things going on.

I apologize

Just bred a dark lumina at 9:09am

CB Albino female

Lineage Light Lumina male

Wish I could add more info, but I'm at school.

Light Lumina in the desert, "eput3"

Time of Day It is day.

Season Winter

Aurax (Golden moon) Waning crescent

Cirion (Blue moon) Waxing gibbous

Haven't seen any Dark Luminae today, also couldn't breed any.

Just bred my two active pairs; both bred light luminas in pb light lumina lineages. One no egg, one dark lumina. Relevant stats = 4:13pm, Aurax (Golden moon) Waning crescent, Cirion (Blue moon) Waxing gibbous. Not in spreadsheet yet.

Light Lumina in the Alpine, 5m3ru

night, winter, aurax new, cirion full

edit: seen two more in other biomes, zero Dark ones today. Did anyone try breeding them yet?

Edited by Ruby Eyes

Light Lumina was in Forest (didn't see code)

Time of Day It is day.

Season Winter

Moon Phases

Aurax (Golden moon) New

Cirion (Blue moon) Full

Light Lumina in the Alpine, 5m3ru

night, winter, aurax new, cirion full

edit: seen two more in other biomes, zero Dark ones today. Did anyone try breeding them yet?

Bred a bunch of dark and light luminae, around 1:45 DCT. All light. Aurax still new, Cirion still full.

Bred my 20+ Luminae. Dark ones seem hard to get. Breeding took place between 3:15-3:24 pm approximately. I only wrote down those that produced eggs, as the number of no interest / refusals (1) / no eggs seemed fairly typical. I bred directly to the AP. Anyone who's interested may add the data to any spreadsheet or stats.

It is day.

Season

Winter

Aurax (Golden moon)

New

Cirion (Blue moon)

Full

The Light ones produced:

Light x Red= Light

Light x Mageia: Light

light x Mageia: Light

Light x Mageia: Light

Yellow Undine x Light: Light

Non-Lumina eggs: Light x Anagallis: Anagallis; Light x Spitfire: SF; light x Mageia: Mageia; light x Mageia: Mageia; light x Mageia: mageia; Light x Horse: Horse; Light x Mageia: Mageia; Horse x Light: Horse; Light Lumina x Tea: Tea; yellow Undine x Light: Undine

Dark Luminae produced:

Dark Lumina x Copper: Dark Lumina

Non-Lumina eggs: Dark Lumina x Mint: Mint; DL x White: White; Bleeding Moon x DL: BM; White x DL: White; DL x Lunar Herald (Blue): Light Lumina; White x Dark Lumina: White

Is Corteo still around? His last post seems to be 4 months old. sad.gif

Time of Day: It is day.

Season: Winter

Moon Phases:

Aurax (Golden moon) Waxing crescent

Cirion (Blue moon) Waning gibbous

Breeding results 1:57 pm EST:

2 Light x Light pairs and 2 Dark x Dark pairs = 4 Light Lumina eggs

What was the moon situation? It looks like it might have been a new moon for Cirion, based on where the moons are now.

I think it was Aurax waning crescent and Cirion waxing crescent. Cirion was new on 27th of February.

7th of March might be interesting again: I'm predicting plenty of Light and zero Dark Luminae bred then (Aurax new and Cirion full)

What does the data say for middle of silver Lunar phase, that one day when both moons are full?

Edited by Ruby Eyes

OK, I just saw a light lumina egg on the AP in the middle of all the darks with the same time. I didn't get to grab it so IDK what its lineage was like, but it felt like an observation worth noting.

Anybody ever thoght about this:

maybe the Darks fall mostly in winter, autumn and spring are mixed, and the lights in summer?

Well, I very purposely bred this Light Lumina: https://dragcave.net/lineage/3ATrt at the peak of indigo Lunar time, when Aurax was new and Cirion was full. That was on 7th of March, which is still winter. Dark Lumina was not dropping that day, and trying to breed any was unsuccessful.

If season has an effect on Lumina breeding, it's not an exclusive effect.

I separated data from sheet to particular days of lunar cycle (day 1 starts at 7 or 8 PM [including daylight saving time] when phases of both moons change to Full) and this is what I got:

Light Lumina (total)

Dark Lumina (total)

Total Lights and Darks comparision

Top row of x axis label shows day number, second row is phase of Cirion and the bottom one is phase of Aurax.

Heeeeeeeyyyy, that's cool.

Wow! That's really striking! It definitely looks like it's related to Cirion's cycle, with new moons being dark luminas and full moons being light luminas.