dustpuppy

Dark Lumina breeding theories

I just got another pair from differing biomes and saw them all over the place. At least now we have them for a while - .

*wrestles with google spreadsheets*

I found a way to get the charts off to the spreadsheet so I could post them here.

Forgive me if they are unclear. It's hard to figure out how to get it to do what you want.

Here is the Lumina Breeding Relative to the Moon Phases:

user posted image

Oh that's a big pic.

And here is Breeding relative to Date:

user posted image

There are blank spaces in the chart for phase/days that haven't been filled yet.

If you have any more suggestions for charts, feel free to say something.

I have filled up my scroll with them now while they are available again. I will worry about the other new breeds later as these definitely seem to be moon phase related or related to some other time factor that we haven't figured out yet. I have my basic goal now of 8 CB -- hopefully 4 male and 4 female as influenced.

They are indeed all over the place now. There are almost as many as during the initial flood. So I don't think they will be rare at all.

I would personally go with a scatter plot, comparing bright and dark luminas. Ideally the points would be the percentage of each, dark luminas and light luminas, of the total. So if 30% of the eggs for a given day/moon phase were darks the darks would get a point of "30" and the lights would get a point of "70". It would give a clearer picture of any pattern while removing some of the obfuscation of having different totals for each day. I'm having a lot of trouble even figuring out what I should be comparing in the plots you posted.

I suspect there's also a problem that people don't understand how important it is to catch and report *both* types of eggs. If everyone just reports dark luminas there will be some decent data if the number of reports reflects the frequency, but it will still be a lot harder to see the pattern with only half the data. (and if this is the case, my idea of a scatter plot based on the percentages of each won't work, because we won't have reliable percentages)

(with the second graph, what are those giant bars that push the scale up so high that it's hard to see the rest of the graph?)

At the very least, your graphs would be easier to read without the totals that combine dark luminas and light luminas. Those are completely extraneous to trying to see the pattern.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

It's now 11:07PM, decided to breed my Luminas to see what would happen.

LuminaxElectric = Dark Lumina

AlbinoxLumina = no egg

LuminaxWhiptail = Dark Lumina

LuminaxStorm = Dark Lumina

LuminaxWaterhorse = no egg

LuminaxBlack = no interest

Not a single light Lumina.

And a quick sweep of the biomes at 11:12PM showed a Dark Lumina in every single biome, 3 in the Coast, but still no light ones.

Edited by Kovia

I would personally go with a scatter plot, comparing bright and dark luminas.  Ideally the points would be the percentage of each, dark luminas and light luminas, of the total.  So if 30% of the eggs for a given day/moon phase were darks the darks would get a point of "30" and the lights would get a point of "70".  It would give a clearer picture of any pattern while removing some of the obfuscation of having different totals for each day.  I'm having a lot of trouble even figuring out what I should be comparing in the plots you posted.

I suspect there's also a problem that people don't understand how important it is to catch and report *both* types of eggs.  If everyone just reports dark luminas there will be some decent data if the number of reports reflects the frequency, but it will still be a lot harder to see the pattern with only half the data.  (and if this is the case, my idea of a scatter plot based on the percentages of each won't work, because we won't have reliable percentages)

(with the second graph, what are those giant bars that push the scale up so high that it's hard to see the rest of the graph?)

At the very least, your graphs would be easier to read without the totals that combine dark luminas and light luminas.  Those are completely extraneous to trying to see the pattern.

Thank you for this review!

I really needed the advice. All this data stuff has me spinning.

(The really tall bars are the general totals by the way. I was using them to make sure I had all the eggs accounted for, but I couldn't figure out how to not include them in the graph without messing up the entire thing. I think I might just remove them or move them over now.)

So, I should remove the Total eggs, Total Catch eggs, and Total Bred eggs from the graphs, right? And try a scatter plot? I think I would have to make a whole new set of calculations to make them into percentages though.

And about missing half the data, I have been noticing that people caught and bred a lot of Lumina-type dragons, but most of the dragons reported are Dark Luminae. Even most of the normal Luminae that are reported are bred. Even, when normal Luminae were sighted in the cave, none of them made it to the spreadsheet because no one actually caught one. (Well, that's not completely true. We have exactly one wild normal Lumina egg on the spread sheet. ONE.)

So, we need more data on normal Luminae. Please catch more normal Luminae, and put them on the sheet. Or bred more. (Though, you can hardly control the outcome of breeding.)

--

I still say these guys come in surges. Like not enough to completely stop normal Luminae from appearing, but enough to swamp the Caves when they drop.

I have a CB Lumina caught on the 24th. Probably between 7AM and 9AM DC time, based on when it was a hatchie, but I don't exactly remember now.

Link: https://dragcave.net/view/7xEyW

Quoting my report of a CB Light Lumina. I do not have the exact time, but I have an approximation of 8AM DC time, +/- 1 hour. Most likely 7AM DC time though.

Tbh, I would just suggest having simplified plots (I like the bar graph straight up totals, but also doing a scatter plot with time might be interesting). Total dark luminae and total light luminae vs moon cycle (or whatever else you want on the x axis).

Then if you want to test for further patterns (breeding vs catching), break those down into their own graphs. Bred dark luminae and bred light luminae vs moon cycle/whatever. Caught dark luminae vs caught light luminae vs moon cycle/whatever. Then compare the two plots. Have dark luminae be the same color on both of them and light luminae be the same color on both of them, so you could easily look between the two and see if breeding vs catching patterns differ or match up. Or if you want them on the same plot, do all dark luminae one color and all light luminae one color, but use two different symbols: one for caught and one for bred. Kinda like a bar graph just represented with symbols instead of bars. =p

The plot you have now just has a lot of categories on it and it's a little confusing to compare them all because it's a big legend to memorize. ^^

(I'm working up plots for my thesis now, which consists of 3 different experiments where 3 flow rates were varied and up to 8 rocks were tested. I have a few thousand data points. I understand how dizzying it can be to try and wrap your mind, not only around what the data means, but how to visually represent the data!)

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

The percentages suggestion would absolutely need to have the data be processed before it would work. But based on how poorly you say people have been reporting light luminas, it's not going to work. Maybe it would work for bred ones.

It might be best for now to simply plot how many people have reported dark luminas on each day/lunar stage and hope that the sheer numbers reflect the rarity at any given time.

If you're gonna make graphs, I say make two of them. One with just the Dark Luminas and dates, the other with all your info. Simply comparing the numbers of the darks to the date/moon/whatever will tell us a lot.

And I would report light Luminas if I could find any. tongue.gif

I was hunting in cave this morning (5.30-6 hrs before this post) and I realized dark lumina became common again and weren't getting picked as fast. (I was checking their codes). In jungle, DS were dropping the least. In alpine, dessert, coast I saw many 5 min drops contained minimum 2 and sometimes 3 at once. I can say they were dropping so much in abundance it was difficult to find anything else in the drop. It seems as far as their quantity is concerned they may have reached the peak of "this" cycle and might start reducing slowly now. I have not seen a single light lumina today and that might somehow be related to the high percentage of DS dropping. In my mind, I imagine the cycle to be something like this:

LS 100% DS 0% - peak of cycle, no DS can be spotted

LS 80% DS 20%

LS 20% DS 80%

LS 0% DS 100% - opposite peak of cycle , which is what it looked like this morning.

Of course it's a bit far fetched theory but I am just trying to think of it as a possibility. I don't know what would constitute of mid of cycle though, I think LS 50% DS 50% would be pretty unlikely though as I have never seen them drop in equal ratios.

I was hunting in cave this morning (5.30-6 hrs before this post) and I realized dark lumina became common again and weren't getting picked as fast. (I was checking their codes). In jungle, DS were dropping the least. In alpine, dessert, coast I saw many 5 min drops contained minimum 2 and sometimes 3 at once. I can say they were dropping so much in abundance it was difficult to find anything else in the drop. It seems as far as their quantity is concerned they may have reached the peak of "this" cycle and might start reducing slowly now. I have not seen a single light lumina today and that might somehow be related to the high percentage of DS dropping.  In my mind, I imagine the cycle to be something like this:

LS 100% DS 0% - peak of cycle, no DS can be spotted

LS 80% DS 20%

LS 20% DS 80%

LS 0% DS 100% - opposite peak of cycle , which is what it looked like this morning.

Of course it's a bit far fetched theory but I am just trying to think of it as a possibility. I don't know what would constitute of mid of cycle though, I think LS 50% DS 50% would be pretty unlikely though as I have never seen them drop in equal ratios.

user posted image

Don't know if this helps.

EDIT: Couldn't grab the lumina egg since I saw it when I was hunting with one open slot, so when I went to the coast to grab it, it was there but the far right one's description was This egg feels like polished stone, so you can understand why I didn't have room...

Edited by Cheekadee

Testing out a different kind of chart I made one for Egg Count relative to time of Day.

- Since Time of Day (Day vs Night) was a lot less data to crunch, it was easier to work with:

user posted image

I wasn't going to include the Totals (Total Eggs, Catch Eggs, and Bred Eggs), but they give you a relative idea of when things were caught.

- It seems eggs are caught in relative equal amounts when comparing day and night. Though we really do NOT have any catch normal Luminae. We had one, and it was caught in the day time, so...that bar is distorted.

- I don't know if the chart means that it's easier to get things at day or night. I think we need more data. And some statistically significant analysis that I am NOT apt for.

That chart looks much neater, now we just need more data. biggrin.gif

I just bred (and added to the spreadsheet) two Dark Lumina eggs, both from one Dark Lumina parent and a Nebula/Black.

- I don't know if the chart means that it's easier to get things at day or night. I think we need more data. And some statistically significant analysis that I am NOT apt for.

I can easily do this with JMP, but I honestly think you're overthinking here. x3

I like the new chart style, though!

Just saw a whole bunch of them and caught three before I realized I only needed one more to fulfill scroll goals. rolleyes.gif

The Dark Luminae are dropping like crazy right now. biggrin.gif

Can't post anything because I have no room for catching, but I say three in the Volcano and two each in two other biomes.

Egads, they're falling by the twos and threes now! Surrrre, just when I go on the hunt for the Time Distorters and the not-green one! :rolleyes:Aeons and Kingcrownes (bad brain blank).

Edited by oddsoxdi

There were no additions to the spreadsheet, so I bred my Luminae and caught 2 Darks from the cave. I'll keep some space if any normal Luminae show up.

Maybe all Luminae be it Light or Dark are depending on Aurax? When Aurax is full and shines golden we will have the Original Luminae and when Aurax is not visible we will get Dark Luminae? For halfmoon there should be a 50/50 change for both Light Luminae and Dark Luminae.

So and now back to my guest here at home. Hopefully that wil help.

Bred and registered two more Dark Luminae eggs.

Interesting theory, Tigerkralle! Though I see Light Luminae on the spreadsheet when Aurax was new, so maybe it's just the other way round (Aurax new -> Luminae, Aurax full -> Dark Luminae). I don't know. unsure.gif

Just to note,

THe phase have changed today at 8:00 PM Dragon Cave time!

The new phases are:

Aurax: Waxing Crescent --> Waxing Gibbous

Cirion: Waning Crescent --> New

Please, try to catch and bred some eggs before the phases change tomorrow!