LadyNightshade

Pokemon Sun and Moon

Can we also take a moment to note how few puzzles there are in this game? There are some blocks you have to shove around in the entrance of temples. But where are the ice puzzles, significant boulder/strength puzzles, and Sky Pillar bike run adventures that previous games had? I guess they really dumbed down the formula on purpose, to stop people getting frustrated.

I have to agree with you there. What I'm sadden by is the fact they haven't made a game (other then Silver and Gold) that you can travel to other regions. It'd be really interesting to play as a veteran of the game and I was really disappointed on how easily I cleared Moon version

Can we also take a moment to note how few puzzles there are in this game? There are some blocks you have to shove around in the entrance of temples. But where are the ice puzzles, significant boulder/strength puzzles, and Sky Pillar bike run adventures that previous games had? I guess they really dumbed down the formula on purpose, to stop people getting frustrated.

As much as I'm enjoying the game, I sincerely have to agree that it feels like it has been dumbed down, far too much tbh. I understand that it's effectively a reboot aimed at a generation that might not have played previous games, but I don't think that's an excuse for hand-holding, like basically telling you which moves to use rather than letting you figure it out yourself. I wish there was a way to turn stuff like that off...

The lack of puzzles can be explained by the fact that they have said they wanted to make Sun and Moon very story-based games. Puzzles can easily get you stuck in places and even if not, they can significantly slow down the pace of the story. Of course, it's possible to integrate puzzles in a way that suits the story and even helps advancing it, but perhaps they just couldn't find something that worked well, in time. Personally, I was enjoying the story so much that I didn't even miss the puzzles. Putting some in would give the opportunity to take it to an even higher level, but with the significant risk of slowing down the pacing of the story too much and doing more harm than good to the games. They went for the save route here and I think it was the right decision. Maybe in the next games we'll get to see some really cool puzzles integrated into the story, but for now I'm perfectly contempt with them focusing on one thing (the story) and fleshing that out as well as they could, while still leaving room for a ton of fan theories, because those are, after all, a major part of the enjoyment of many fans.

It would indeed be nice to be able to turn off the effectiveness helper in battles, although you need to keep in mind it doesn't consider the effects of abilities. For example, it will tell you that earthquake is super effective against the Gastly line, even though they have the ability Levitate.

Edited by Felixr2

I never found Pokemon's puzzles very challenging, and this is coming from someone who's terrible at puzzles. It's all basically "push these rocks into holes while being assaulted by Zubat because we told you to". At least with trials, there's an in-universe reason for the trial leaders to ask you to do weird arbitrary things, while most gyms are just giant sprawling labyrinths for no reason. I don't miss them.

I don't really see what the big deal with the super-effective thing is either. Competitive Pokemon is essentially a strategy game where you already know your opponent's types, so theoretically it's already information available to you. All the difference it makes is that people who are new to Pokemon/have bad memories/etc don't have to use an external source to look things up. If you already know it, you have to... look at some extra words in the UI. The horror.

I never found Pokemon's puzzles very challenging, and this is coming from someone who's terrible at puzzles. It's all basically "push these rocks into holes while being assaulted by Zubat because we told you to". At least with trials, there's an in-universe reason for the trial leaders to ask you to do weird arbitrary things, while most gyms are just giant sprawling labyrinths for no reason. I don't miss them.

I don't really see what the big deal with the super-effective thing is either. Competitive Pokemon is essentially a strategy game where you already know your opponent's types, so theoretically it's already information available to you. All the difference it makes is that people who are new to Pokemon/have bad memories/etc don't have to use an external source to look things up. If you already know it, you have to... look at some extra words in the UI. The horror.

The thing is that I'm trying to learn them by heart and whenever I'm doubting I happen to look at the information and it gives me the answer right away. That way I learn the type matchups slower than trying to dig through my memory or logic my way out. I also know a very nice way to memorize all the types that resist themselves:

The four starter types. (Grass, Fire, Water, Electric)

Both gen II types. (Dark, Steel)

Both purple types. (Psychic, Poison)

And Ice, with Ice being it's only resistance. Which is why you should never use an Ice type as a defensive pokémon.

Although Dragon can also be seen as a purple type, it's actually orange as well. On top of that, it's pretty easy (at least for me) to remember that Dragon types are always trying to prove to eachother that they are the strongest of all and thus Dragon is super effective to Dragon. Just like Ghost is super effective to Ghost. I guess that's due to a similar kind of rivalry.

Ignoring your attempt at condescending sarcasm, it's not about being "helpful", it's basically like it's treating the player like an idiot. "Oh, you'll lose if you don't use this type which we've told you is effective," rather than previous games which were more "Here's your moves and their effects, now test them yourself to see if it works in this situation,". Yeah, I get that at the end of the day these are games for kids, but not every kid wants to be blatantly coddled.

Then again, I forgot we live in an age where younger generations expect game info to be spoonfed to them thanks to games dumbing down so much.

I would argue that "just use super-effective moves and you will win" is neither true in any capacity nor the intended message of the type matchup indicators. 20 years into the franchise, Pokemon is so oversaturated with complicated mechanics (Z-moves, mega evolution, abilities/items/moves with an incredibly wide assortment of effects) that even if type matchups are simplified, there's still a lot to explore to use your Pokemon to their best potential. If this is "coddling", I'd say that some coddling is necessary by now. Otherwise there would be a ridiculously steep learning curve.

This mechanic doesn't even simplify type matchings, either. If an opponent sends out a Pokemon that your team is ill-equipped to deal with, you'll still be ill-equipped to deal with it even if you know how all of your moves match up against it. You still have to build your team to account for possible threats. All that changes is you have more information available. In a strategy game, if the fact that your opponent has access to information they can look up on the internet anyway makes your strategy fail, it wasn't a very good strategy in the first place.

Pokemon is complicated enough that it'd still be a complex and engaging game even in an environment of perfect information, and I think the matchup indicators represent a shift toward that instead of any kind of statement on the players' intelligence.

Gloomy had to be part of an SOS call whilst raining. Cast form it has to have some sort of weather like sandstorm, hail, rain, etc.

do you guys know which pokemon call goomy and castform for help?

Just gonna put it out here for everyone: if you have pokémon Moon and can't get your hands on an alolan vulpix, feel free to pm me. Same goes for midday Lycanroc. and evolving cosmoem into Solgaleo

I first wanna go through the postgame in Sun, after that I'll start my Moon version and I'll also be able to give Moon exclusives to people with Sun.

also is it possible to get more than one cosmoem?

edit and can you actually catch the ultra beasts?

Edited by CellyBean

ok so, I can't figure this out.

I'm trying to battle my boyfriend via the internet.

We're both VIP'd in each others' plazas, and we both have battle requests set to always be interested.

We're both properly connected to the internet

But for some strange reason, it won't let us battle. It seems to think we're both already engaged in battle, but we're not!

Does anyone know how to make this work???

also is it possible to get more than one cosmoem?

edit and can you actually catch the ultra beasts?

Spoilered out for obvious reasons.

In the postgame you can catch ultra beasts. For version exclusive ultra beasts, you can catch two of them per save file. In the main story, after you catch the version legendary, you can go to the altar of the Sunne/Moone depending on your version, where you'll find a portal to an alternate world. Go through this portal, and you'll get to the world of the other version, at the altar of the Moone/Sunne. This doesn't change which version exclusives you can get though. After doing that, you go to the lake of the Sunne/Moone in the alternate world with the version legendary on your team. There, a Cosmog will go inside a pokéball out of itself. Whether Cosmoem evolves into Solgaleo or Lunala depends on the version it's evolved in. So yes, if you get yourself that Cosmog/Cosmoem I'll be able to get you a Solgaleo. I do want to keep one of each ultra beast so I only have one to trade of the version exclusives among them. I do have both versions of the game, but I only have one console, so I'd be willing to trade one of each for the version exclusive of the other game. For the rest, I don't really mind doing it, as long as it isn't too time-consuming for me altogether. If you want me to evolve your cosmoem into solgaleo, I'd like getting at level 52, preferably with a rare candy or very little exp. untill it levels up. That's also the easiest for the person trading it over, as they'll get it back in a matter of minutes, rather than hours, probably even days.

ok so, I can't figure this out.

I'm trying to battle my boyfriend via the internet.

We're both VIP'd in each others' plazas, and we both have battle requests set to always be interested.

We're both properly connected to the internet

But for some strange reason, it won't let us battle. It seems to think we're both already engaged in battle, but we're not!

Does anyone know how to make this work???

Are you sending eachother a request to battle at the same time? Because that will, I think, cause the error you are recieving. One person should request the other, who then accepts the challenge. If there is another problem, I'm aftraid I can't help. ._.

Spoilered out for obvious reasons.

In the postgame you can catch ultra beasts. For version exclusive ultra beasts, you can catch two of them per save file. In the main story, after you catch the version legendary, you can go to the altar of the Sunne/Moone depending on your version, where you'll find a portal to an alternate world. Go through this portal, and you'll get to the world of the other version, at the altar of the Moone/Sunne. This doesn't change which version exclusives you can get though. After doing that, you go to the lake of the Sunne/Moone in the alternate world with the version legendary on your team. There, a Cosmog will go inside a pokéball out of itself. Whether Cosmoem evolves into Solgaleo or Lunala depends on the version it's evolved in. So yes, if you get yourself that Cosmog/Cosmoem I'll be able to get you a Solgaleo. I do want to keep one of each ultra beast so I only have one to trade of the version exclusives among them. I do have both versions of the game, but I only have one console, so I'd be willing to trade one of each for the version exclusive of the other game. For the rest, I don't really mind doing it, as long as it isn't too time-consuming for me altogether. If you want me to evolve your cosmoem into solgaleo, I'd like getting at level 52, preferably with a rare candy or very little exp. untill it levels up. That's also the easiest for the person trading it over, as they'll get it back in a matter of minutes, rather than hours, probably even days.

what do you mean exactly per save file? and so i can only get one cosmog?

what do you mean exactly per save file? and so i can only get one cosmog?

*spoilered*

You will get the version legendary when it's already fully evolved. Once you have it, you can get a lvl. 5 cosmog the way I described previously. This cosmog evolves into cosmoem at lvl. 43 and then evolves again at lvl. 53. If it evolves on pokémon Sun, it becomes Solgaleo, and on Moon it becomes Lunala. So yes, you can only get one cosmog, but you get that cosmog when you already have the version legendary. With per save file I mean that once you get it, the only way to get another one is by resetting the game to a moment before you got it in the first place, effectively only making it possible to get more than one of it from a cartridge is if you trade it over and then entirely restart the game. And you restart your the game by overwriting your current save file with a new one, so "one per save file" is the accurate way to put it. To explain it in a sentence: "In pokémon X, you can get one Xerneas per save file."

As far as the games being too easy, I think the move type matchup thing is the least of the problems.

"Back in my day" the games didn't tell you where you were supposed to go. That to me is the most disappointing feature of the game. That it completely forces you to not explore on your own until post game.

I mean, I get that it can be annoying if you have absolutely no clue of where to go, but these games practically hold your hand on it. They may have well have just put you on a long line.

That and there's literally a pokecenter or healer like every couple feet (this is a trend from the past couple games though, it just got worse in my opinion in this game). You used to have to plan out a strategy of how many potions you needed and seriously keep an eye on your pokemon's health. It also encouraged leveling on your own to get stronger.

At least exp. share can be turned off.

Don't get me wrong, I love this game, the story is great and there's a lot of new features I love. I just got a little frustrated with having my hand held the whole game. I wish they had done something like a Beginner's mode and a Veteran mode to change the difficulty.

Godamn... I tried the pokemon battle royal again (just against AI) and it seems utterly broken!

My strongest pokemon did no damage with blizzard on a pokemon it was super effective against, and then got one shot!

Godamn... I tried the pokemon battle royal again (just against AI) and it seems utterly broken!

My strongest pokemon did no damage with blizzard on a pokemon it was super effective against, and then got one shot!

The Battle Royal is broken. I tried to win normal rank with three of the Tapu Pokemon and still losing dry.gif

Edited by Raptor of Dragons

As far as the games being too easy, I think the move type matchup thing is the least of the problems.

"Back in my day" the games didn't tell you where you were supposed to go. That to me is the most disappointing feature of the game. That it completely forces you to not explore on your own until post game.

I mean, I get that it can be annoying if you have absolutely no clue of where to go, but these games practically hold your hand on it. They may have well have just put you on a long line.

That and there's literally a pokecenter or healer like every couple feet (this is a trend from the past couple games though, it just got worse in my opinion in this game). You used to have to plan out a strategy of how many potions you needed and seriously keep an eye on your pokemon's health. It also encouraged leveling on your own to get stronger.

At least exp. share can be turned off.

Don't get me wrong, I love this game, the story is great and there's a lot of new features I love. I just got a little frustrated with having my hand held the whole game. I wish they had done something like a Beginner's mode and a Veteran mode to change the difficulty.

I have to agree with that. I mean sure there were a few times where I was like, "Uh, where the heck do I go now?" but then Rotom was always there saying "Go up this way." or "Shouldn't you be heading to so and so? They're waiting for you."

The lack of puzzles didn't really bother me. I'm not a big puzzle fan and while they can be fun (except for the Emerald mach bike challenge. I spent many swear words getting through that nightmare.) It didn't hurt my feelings.

What did annoy the freak out of me was *spoiler*

The ending when you beat the elite 4 and are about to sit atop your throne. Save there because you won't be able to save again until what seems like 30 minutes later. You have to face Kukui then go through an awesome but long party. head to the temple to catch/battle Tapu Koko then go back to the party and then go through end credits then go through bidding a friend farewell and then more chatting until the next day when you wake up in your room and it saves on it own. LONGEST CUT SCENE EVER!! mad.gif

I don't hate it, I just didn't exactly have the time to sit and watch the whole thing. I was running late because of it. I would have liked to save before catching/battling Tapu Koko, that would have been fine! But if you fail and want to get it then you have to SR and have to go through all of that again. Even though it already registered you and your team as champs.

Other than that I have had no problem with the game really. I've enjoyed the whole thing. Except for that shiny getting away from me. dry.gif But I'm still going to hold out for my first real Alola encounter where I actually get to battle it. biggrin.gif btw, if its a shiny Mimikyu, I'm using my master ball. that thing's already rare enough.

ETA: Another thing that makes the BR broken is how early its introduced. sure the first fight is against three people you know, and its actually enjoyable if a bit weird. But then if you want to try it out right after that you get creamed because my team's levels were in the mid-upper twenties while all the other pokemon were level 50. Um, why? Did they expect everyone to take their team on a super crazy training detour and be over-leveled that much?

Edited by Syiren

The Battle Royal is broken. I tried to win normal rank with three of the Tapu Pokemon and still losing dry.gif

The tapu are quite weak for legendary pokémon though. Also, the Battle Royal trainers are supposed to be die-hards. I wouldn't be surprised if they would have at least decent IVs and EVs.

The tapu are quite weak for legendary pokémon though. Also, the Battle Royal trainers are supposed to be die-hards. I wouldn't be surprised if they would have at least decent IVs and EVs.

Not if you use the Tapu just right. I start out with Tapu Koko and paralyse their Pokémon before shooting them with Electro Ball. Ive come second too many times with them so :/

All these features people are complaining about were actually godsends for me :'D my memory is incredibly terrible, so a nudge in the right direction when I pick up the DS for the first time in the day is great. Also tells me exactly which bit of the map to avoid, because I'm the kind of person who tries to talk to everyone before advancing the plot.

On the final cutscene: [If you fail to catch Tapu Koko, you don't actually have to reset. It'll be waiting for you at the ruins when you go there next. It was pretty much just a plot event; they can't possibly expect everyone to be ready for it right after the E4. That said, some warning would've been nice.]

Yeah, Battle Royale is weird. I think it's just that it requires vastly different movesets and strategies from regular singles or VGC play, so it's hard to win unless you've actually prepared. Probably by losing repeatedly. That said, though, if they knew they were going to introduce it so early in the game, all they had to do was add a lv25 mode or set all Pokemon to lv50.

Edited by Fractional Pi Day

All these features people are complaining about were actually godsends for me :'D my memory is incredibly terrible, so a nudge in the right direction when I pick up the DS for the first time in the day is great. Also tells me exactly which bit of the map to avoid, because I'm the kind of person who tries to talk to everyone before advancing the plot.

That's why I feel there should be two modes.

Was it black and white that did that? (or at least a hard mode that may increased trainer levels).

Again, it's not like it affected my entire experience of the game. I admit sometimes I do get lost and need a reminder. But sometimes I just want to explore without a guy on a Tauros at every point telling me to go away.

In other news did everyone see that these were something like the fastest selling Nintendo games?

I think the popularity of pokemon go brought people back to the series and brought in new people.

Was it black and white that did that? (or at least a hard mode that may increased trainer levels).

Again, it's not like it affected my entire experience of the game. I admit sometimes I do get lost and need a reminder. But sometimes I just want to explore without a guy on a Tauros at every point telling me to go away.

In other news did everyone see that these were something like the fastest selling Nintendo games?

I think the popularity of pokemon go brought people back to the series and brought in new people.

I can't remember which region it was, but I do know what you're referring to.

Oh yeah! Every time I go to Walmart they're sold out. the only place around I find them is GameStop and even they were a bit low in stock. I wonder if this'll end up being like HG ans SS where the value of the games go up?

It was really packed at the midnight release I went to as well. smile.gif

Yeah, BW. The hard/easy modes only changed levels, though, and you had to unlock them by going through the game on normal difficulty.

Let's be honest, though, ridiculous roadblocks have always been a staple of Pokemon. I didn't find it more egregious in this game than any of the others.

I've filling my Poxedex and the most annoying thing is getting a Sharp Claw for Weavile. You get a 5% chance on Jangmo-o and that is the only place. So, so, so annoying.