Fuzzbucket

The big ! warning

Actually, I'd want more diversity. just a ! everywhere defeats the purpose for a warning. it should tell me also, what I'm about to do.

This.

It doesn't bother me, but I don't see the point of it. As it is now, it's a visual warning that doesn't really warn you of anything, because that you have to put a password/action name is pretty obvious because a) nothing happens if you don't and B) there's the box where you have to put it.

I actually find the "!" box itself fine. The problem however is that it's currently severely overused.

Not everything deserves a HUGE "!" IN A BOX. It gets jarring and they lose the ability to get my attention quickly when they're spammed everywhere, even in the most mundane things like "Enter your password for verification" or "Unlock the next piece of info in the encyclopedia".

In my opinion, they only things that should have that "!" box are things that are either urgent or warning about actions that cause irreversible changes to your dragon, including:

- Sickness warning

- Influence

- Freeze

- Kill

- Release (Possibility of resulting in dead eggs)

- Bite (ditto)

- One-way teleport (the "user is not obligated to give you anything in return" warning)

I can live with this. smile.gif

Again, changing the font to match the scroll type is probably the visual change I see helping with the jarring issue.

I don't think Incubate or the Encyclopedia need the boxes at all, but the others will help all those players who end up in Help, looking a way to reverse what they've done.

The only place where I'd like to see this is for breeding while locked, to be frank. (Okay, maybe also for killing, too.) It's quite jarring, and out of place for something as trivial as unlocking information on the encyclopedia.

This. And even then I think it should be changed to something more more agreeable with the color scheme of the site.

I would expect this feature to be of great utility to newer players.

Feature - yes. That I can live with - though I WOULD rather it was optional.

Current appearance - as an artist, Marri - are you really OK with it ? It's fugly and totally the wrong colour and font.

I also would prefer it being optional. For the sake of new players I'd like to see it be set to on by default with the option to opt out. I think that by the time a new player grows tired of it they would have already grown comfortable enough to play around with their settings and would be able to figure out how to turn it off.

As an artist, it hasn't really bothered me at all. *shrug*

There were players, mostly newer ones I think, asking for something more immediately visible. This should help them.

As for the appearance, if it wasn't like, right in your face (read: jarring) it wouldn't be effective. I think it's fine.

The giant "!" is a bit out of place for many of the less-urgent actions, though...

If we must keep the warning non-optional, I'd like to see some of the password confirmation actions change to "?" instead of "!" - and in a different color.

This would also help with the "tuning it out" tendency of most of us... If there's variety in the symbol and the color, we'd be more likely to notice - "hey, it's the blue one," or "hey, it's the yellow one" - rather than washing out awareness with all the notices being exactly the same.

For example, "Kill" could stay the "!" but turn red.

The "Next Unlock" is not urgent, so could be changed to yellow.

The "Abandon" one is a confirmation, so could stay blue but turn into a "?" to signify "did you mean to do this?"

Or something. A bit of variety with the colors would go a long way, in my opinion, towards helping those who want the help and not flooding the site with the blue "!" to the point people tune it out when they need it.

(I do still wish these password/action confirmations were optional, though...)

There were players, mostly newer ones I think, asking for something more immediately visible. This should help them.

As for the appearance, if it wasn't like, right in your face (read: jarring) it wouldn't be effective. I think it's fine.

Something more immediately visible for what? To tell you to type your password? I'd say that's obvious enough already. For options like 'kill', 'release', 'abandon' and 'earthquake, I could understand it if the sign actually warned you of the risks.

Having a jarring, right in the face sign to tell you that you need to observe another hatchling to unlock a new entry or that you need to type in your password to incubate this egg feels unnecessary.

Besides, it is perfectly possible to make something attention-grabbing that fits the DC style, without resorting to images like that.

Also, (about the exclamation mark) it looks totally out of place. Something like that would look more at home on a facebook page, but on an old-fashioned scroll - it's like putting a computer-generated graphic in a pencil-drawn movie. :/

Would it be enough to just skin these boxes? Then it maybe has a little bit darker "scroll" texture on the default skin and maybe a sword instead of an exclamation point. And an owl instead of a check mark. Or something on that line. These boxes probably fit in fine on the Portal skins…

I actually find the "!" box itself fine. The problem however is that it's currently severely overused.

Not everything deserves a HUGE "!" IN A BOX. It gets jarring and they lose the ability to get my attention quickly when they're spammed everywhere, even in the most mundane things like "Enter your password for verification" or "Unlock the next piece of info in the encyclopedia".

In my opinion, they only things that should have that "!" box are things that are either urgent or warning about actions that cause irreversible changes to your dragon, including:

- Sickness warning

- Influence

- Freeze

- Kill

- Release (Possibility of resulting in dead eggs)

- Bite (ditto)

- One-way teleport (the "user is not obligated to give you anything in return" warning)

I like this.

However, I want to edit the list:

- Not Release. It's a mundane action that many users use a lot, and it's unlikely to actually kill an egg. As was said in another thread, low-time eggs get snatched like candy. Hatchlings do as well. Very few eggs or hatchlings die in the AP; the main reason they would is because of being hidden behind a holiday wall.

Basically, Release is seen too often for the warning, and it doesn't cause direct harm to a dragon.

- Not One-way teleport. A simple bold/underlined note is enough - we don't need the jarring sign. The main reason for one-way teleports is gifts - some people might stop giving as many gifts because the box is off-putting and we don't want that! xd.png

- Not Influence. It doesn't cause any harm to any dragon. If you accidentally use it, what's the worst that could happen? A two-week wait for using the action again. This could be overridden simply by fetching a Purple egg, or even a low-time hatchie if you're lucky enough, cutting the time to wait down from two weeks two anywhere between 6 days (time for a freshly-bred egg to grow without incubate) and minutes. So, this action has no need of such a warning. There's nothing really bad that can happen! If it really meant that much to someone, they would take more care to avoid a misclick. They don't need the box.

This whittles the list to:

- Sickness

- Freeze

- Kill

- Bite

All of these are irreversible; although, if some kind of Freeze-reverse was added, I'd suggest removing that too.

Adding Earthquake to this would also be a good idea.

The point of this is reducing the number of places the jarring warning appears, and I think whittling it to the absolute essentials is a good idea.

As it is I don't think it's really needed. All it's doing is saying is that 'verification needed'. Not really useful. The text under it tells me what is needed. It's not warning that the action could be harmful or irreversible. So really, what is the point?

When I noticed it, I didn't even care that it was there. And if it were to disappear tomorrow, I wouldn't care and I probably wouldn't even notice. Because of that, I'm gonna go ahead and say that I don't feel it's needed. However, if we're going to keep this silly little thing, can it at least be a little prettier?

I like this.

However, I want to edit the list:

- Not Release. It's a mundane action that many users use a lot, and it's unlikely to actually kill an egg. As was said in another thread, low-time eggs get snatched like candy. Hatchlings do as well. Very few eggs or hatchlings die in the AP; the main reason they would is because of being hidden behind a holiday wall.

Basically, Release is seen too often for the warning, and it doesn't cause direct harm to a dragon.

- Not One-way teleport. A simple bold/underlined note is enough - we don't need the jarring sign. The main reason for one-way teleports is gifts - some people might stop giving as many gifts because the box is off-putting and we don't want that! xd.png

- Not Influence. It doesn't cause any harm to any dragon. If you accidentally use it, what's the worst that could happen? A two-week wait for using the action again. This could be overridden simply by fetching a Purple egg, or even a low-time hatchie if you're lucky enough, cutting the time to wait down from two weeks two anywhere between 6 days (time for a freshly-bred egg to grow without incubate) and minutes. So, this action has no need of such a warning. There's nothing really bad that can happen! If it really meant that much to someone, they would take more care to avoid a misclick. They don't need the box.

This whittles the list to:

- Sickness

- Freeze

- Kill

- Bite

All of these are irreversible; although, if some kind of Freeze-reverse was added, I'd suggest removing that too.

Adding Earthquake to this would also be a good idea.

The point of this is reducing the number of places the jarring warning appears, and I think whittling it to the absolute essentials is a good idea.

The list is good as CNR4806 presented, with the addition of Earthquake and Abandon, since these are all actions which repeatedly send people to the Help forum or the "Stupid things done" thread, bemoaning what they did, either looking for a way to undo what they did or regretting the mistake they made. These kinds of things happen, often with newbies, but even to experienced players in a moment of distraction, lack of sleep or insufficient coffee. rolleyes.gif

Release is not reversible, and does not send eggs and hatchling to the AP. It sends frozen hatchlings and adult to the Wilderness. A carefully bred adult, accidentally released in place of one with an unusable lineage, may set someone's breeding program back up to a year.

Abandons are another regular cry for help in the the forums. Leaving auto-abandons aside, they still repeatedly happen to the wrong egg or hatchie, usually sending the inexperienced to Help, wanting to know how they can get the egg or hatchling back. Same with the One-way teleport.

Influence also sends people looking for help, and there is now a thread intended to help people who have made a mistake, ,Random Scroll Help and Missed Connections, erase influence, help find people so I think Influnce needs the warning.

The warning does not add extra steps to any of these actions, simply a quick moment to think about the action and the dragon involved. The option to remove the exclamation point for those with 1000+ dragons raised is the best Idea I have seen here, but I see no need for the verifiaction method to be removed. It's always been there, with the option of password or action word, it's not changing anything in the way I play and it may save other players from making mistakes they regret, <3

Current appearance - as an artist, Marri - are you really OK with it ? It's fugly and totally the wrong colour and font.

I am in no way bothered by the way it looks, no.

I don't exactly know about abandon, though. AP hunting usually involves lots of *grab*, *check*, *send back to AP*, over and over again. Which would reduce the usefulness of a warning because it would become too commonplace. Maybe only use the warning for eggs you've had for at least 12 hours?

I would prefer it be removed entirely, but barring that it should at least look a little less like part of an error message.

It is too jarring and out of place and it is used for too many things.

When it should work as a reminder-and-at-the-same-time-a-warning then the message next to this ugly thing should be for influence: You are going to influence this egg male. Are you sure?

And please do not mention the type in your password or type in the action in the message next to the punch-in-the-eyes-thing. This message is already there under the password-field (not a native speaker and i have the feeling this is not the correct word dry.gif ).

It should be removed entirely for the whole site and especially also the checkmark.

The red bar for the encyclopedia is enough when there is no longer a red bar you have collected all data about this breed. And we click on dragons to see the lineages of them. wink.gif

Chiming in as someone else who's 0% bothered by this?

Draws my attention back to whatever action i'm doing, tbh. which is not a bad thing.

Draws my attention back to whatever action i'm doing, tbh. which is not a bad thing.

^ This. I'm also not bothered by it, lol.

However, I also don't see why making it optional would be a bad thing. I personally like it because it makes me triple-check my influences/etc again and make sure everything is all lined up right... but for some people, it might just be a bother. Or just put it on specific actions, like CNR's list, since that was a pretty good list.

The first time I saw it, I went "whoa that's new", but then I stopped caring. I don't mind if it's changed, optional, stays the same, whatever.

You mean - when you have to put in your password for something, you need to be warned that - you will have to put in your password ? xd.png

You mean - when you have to put in your password for something, you need to be warned that - you will have to put in your password ? xd.png

Its a nice reminder because not all actions will automatically save your password. Also on mobile, you have to type in your password every time because certain mobile browsers wont remember and auto fill it for you. This means the jarring completely out of place ! really makes you look and go "Oh, oh crap password" and then you type it in. We're only human fuzz and as nice as it is that most actions will have the password auto filled thanks to our browser's remember password feature, not all actions have that and mobile isnt as kind so having that reminder there is nice.