Fuzzbucket

The big ! warning

Sock said we should start a new thread.

That big blue warning ! (well, it seems to be black on some skins)

user posted image

Please can it be changed to something more in keeping with mediaeval times ? It is SO out of place.... At least on "brown" scrolls - well, even the dull red of the line shown would be better than the blue...

Edited by fuzzbucket

I support this! It is completely out of place, and I don't see the need for such a big warning just to tell you that you need to type your password.

I support this, first time I saw it I thought I was in trouble or I had broken something

The only place where I'd like to see this is for breeding while locked, to be frank. (Okay, maybe also for killing, too.) It's quite jarring, and out of place for something as trivial as unlocking information on the encyclopedia.

The only place where I'd like to see this is for breeding while locked, to be frank. (Okay, maybe also for killing, too.) It's quite jarring, and out of place for something as trivial as unlocking information on the encyclopedia.

Even then - NOT blue ! (olympe, you realise it's up there for everything that requires a password, too ?)

I completely agree with this. The fact that we have to enter a password to accept a trade or use a BSA any other trivial action is more than enough security already (I wish I had the option of turning it off for everything except logging in, frankly. I'm not a newbie, don't have a pre-teen brother, and am not going to accidentally fertilize a dragon I don't want to without the browser protecting me.) The kind of aggressive visual warning that you see when you're about to disable your firewall or something is not a welcome addition.

It seem a little odd that people have repeatedly asked for a better warning system when perfoming some actions, and when TJ comes through with something, so many complain because it's too noticible.

What if it was in the Charming font? Would that help?

btw, I can live with it as is. It certainly does its job.

I also think this one is unnecessary in some areas. Would also work better if it warned from breeding when you're locked. And yeah, looks out of place. Writtnen or drawn in ink or carved on wood or in stone would look nice, at least on the default, parchment skin.

Edited by VixenDra

It seem a little odd that people have repeatedly asked for a better warning system when perfoming some actions, and when TJ comes through with something, so many complain because it's too noticible.

I can only assume those of us who dislike it are not the same people who asked for more warnings. :-)

Although I should say, the only thing I've actually SEEN people beg for more warnings about is auto-abandonment, and there's still no warning at all on that. I haven't actually seen anyone repeatedly ask for more security on, you know, using the incubate BSA.

My thoughts from TLQ:

I like the idea of marking, I just don't like the mark being used. It reminds me of those fake ads that pop up on some video streaming sites trying to misdirect you to bad places, and it looks 100% out of place on a site that's trying to not break you out of the fantasy mindset. I mean, our scrolls look like scrolls for a reason, right? A huge modern blue exclamation mark doesn't give that vibe.

Not a huge issue, but I definitely agree with thinking something else would be better (same goes for the mark showing up on action pages, too).

Actually, I think the mark on the password protected pages is completely unnecessary. Obviously we have to type in our password, or nothing happens. So why exactly do we need a big banner proclaiming the obvious...?

Actually, I think the mark on the password protected pages is completely unnecessary. Obviously we have to type in our password, or nothing happens. So why exactly do we need a big banner proclaiming the obvious...?

Agreed with this especially. Having raised over 3,000 dragons, I do know which actions require a password. Maybe it could be programmed to go away after you've reached your bronze trophy?

And yes, the big blue mark is jarring and doesn't fit the DC theme at all.

This annoys me

I ALWAYS use the iPad, and ALWAYS use the mobile format, but I still do not like it. We DON'T NEED the 'for this action, you must fill in your password' or whatever it is AND that notice. Not needed, I say

I can only assume those of us who dislike it are not the same people who asked for more warnings. :-)

Although I should say, the only thing I've actually SEEN people beg for more warnings about is auto-abandonment, and there's still no warning at all on that. I haven't actually seen anyone repeatedly ask for more security on, you know, using the incubate BSA.

It does show on Freeze and Abandon, (and I am assuming, Release and Kill) where people always seem to need extra warnings if you follow the Help thread regularly, but you are right. it seems completely unnecessary for Incubate.

It's not a bad idea for Influence though, since it seems that's another action that people often use for the wrong dragon or the wrong gender, since there are actually threads for those who have made Influence mistakes.

The auto-abandon isn't in place yet, but that would be helpful, too, as long as it doesn't require more steps in the breeding process. smile.gif

I still think the font change would help tone it down for those who find it too jarring.

I don't like this at all. I've raised over 4500 dragons & I don't need a warning like that when I'm incubating my eggs or influencing them. It's ugly & jarring & unnecessary. If I breed when I shouldn't & lose the egg, that's my fault. If abandon the wrong egg, or what have you, that's my fault too. I never had this thing when I first started & I don't need it now. If they feel there's a need for it, then maybe something more in keeping with the scroll motif would be better. I would suggest possibly a dragon created specifically to be a "scroll guardian" to help you by warning you, but then again, I bet there will be people complaining they want one on their scroll & why can't they have it. xd.png

Even then - NOT blue ! (olympe, you realise it's up there for everything that requires a password, too ?)

Yes, I'm well aware of this annoying little bugger. Which is why I said that I'd only like to see it in the case of breeding when locked, as a sort of extra warning against accidentally sending something to the AP. And maybe killing, as most people don't do that unless it's around Halloween time.

Because in these cases, a bright visual warning is still better than no warning at all. But I really don't need this for Incubating, Breeding (when not locked), Influencing and a number of other things because it always makes me think, "Huh, what's wrong now? Oh, I need to type in my password. Isn't that the way it has been for ages? blink.gif "

What if it was in the Charming font? Would that help?

btw, I can live with it as is. It certainly does its job.

If it weren't bright blue, it would help.

I didn't want an extra warning of anything - but I am happy to live with one that helps others. But not with one that looks like this. It's just - so out of place. Even making it dull red - like the line in the clip I posted - would be a HUGE lot more acceptable.That must be easy enough, as I am told the thing is black on the portal skin.

ETA and YES - if you have to type in a password to do the action - you are already - in effect - being warned.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Yeah, I have to admit that I find it obnoxious too. I am one who had been wanting LESS, especially on actions like incubate, so this makes it doubly obnoxious. I would rather not have an image at all, no matter what color, a line of text SHOULD be enough.

I would even just be glad of some customization, so that if it helps newbies, that is fine, but more experienced players ought to be able to turn such notices off.

I can live with this, but I do find it a bit jarring. And it seems totally unnecessary anyway, since you can't move beyond that page without typing in your password or the action name, so we already know that confirmation is required! The little password box that pops up is a pretty good indicator of that. I am just wondering why TJ felt this was needed?

I don't like it in any way whatsoever. I thought I'd broken something when I first saw it, and I continued thinking something was broken until I'd seen it a couple more times and made the connection between password and nasty blue thing. What was the point of it? If you didn't realise you needed your password, you would read the page, and it told you to enter your password for the action. If you realised you needed to enter your password, you entered the password. There isn't a point in this process where 'I need a huge, intrusive exclamation mark in a blue box!' came in.

And I agree - the only thing anyone asked for warning about was auto-APing, and that's the only thing that didn't get the blue box.

Please just remove the nasty box. It isn't in the DC theme at all. Maybe replacing it with something reddish or brownish would be okay - or even a less jarring blue! But I see no reason for its existence at all, so removing it from the game altogether would be a vast improvement in my opinion.

I actually find the "!" box itself fine. The problem however is that it's currently severely overused.

Not everything deserves a HUGE "!" IN A BOX. It gets jarring and they lose the ability to get my attention quickly when they're spammed everywhere, even in the most mundane things like "Enter your password for verification" or "Unlock the next piece of info in the encyclopedia".

In my opinion, they only things that should have that "!" box are things that are either urgent or warning about actions that cause irreversible changes to your dragon, including:

- Sickness warning

- Influence

- Freeze

- Kill

- Release

- Earthquake (Possibility of resulting in dead eggs)

- Bite (ditto)

- One-way teleport (the "user is not obligated to give you anything in return" warning)

EDIT: EARTHQUAKE kills, not Release. This is why you don't post at 3am while taking a small break from working overnight.

Edited by CNR4806

Actually, I'd want more diversity. just a ! everywhere defeats the purpose for a warning. it should tell me also, what I'm about to do. Kill and release looks almost the same, and that's what needs changing.. Not that we get a sign everywhere.

Not just only the big ! warning on such trivial things like not all information is unlocked but also this:

user posted image

should be removed.

By the way my stats for Black dragons. wink.gif

And i never requested more warnings for specific actions. Typing in my password or typing in the name of the action is enough.

The red bar to show you the progression for the information was enough. The red bar came in really handy and it looks nice and the red bar disappeared after all available information was unlocked.

If no more you have to observe or raise 2 more hatchling is visible at the bottem of the entry in the encyclopedia then all information is there. As simple as that!

ETA: warnings not warmings ... huh.gifrolleyes.gif

Edited by Tigerkralle

I actually find the "!" box itself fine. The problem however is that it's currently severely overused.

Not everything deserves a HUGE "!" IN A BOX. It gets jarring and they lose the ability to get my attention quickly when they're spammed everywhere, even in the most mundane things like "Enter your password for verification" or "Unlock the next piece of info in the encyclopedia".

In my opinion, they only things that should have that "!" box are things that are either urgent or warning about actions that cause irreversible changes to your dragon, including:

- Sickness warning

- Influence

- Freeze

- Kill

- Release (Possibility of resulting in dead eggs)

- Bite (ditto)

- One-way teleport (the "user is not obligated to give you anything in return" warning)

This. All of this. This is perfect. *goes back into shadows*

I like the box, I hope it stays. However, I'm good with changing it so it fits in with DC's theme more and I definitely agree with changing where it shows up so that it makes more sense.

I hope it stays in the encyclopedia, but I think the checkmark could go away once you visit the encyclopedia page once more after it shows up to make sure you've seen it and know you unlocked everything.