Fuzzbucket

The big ! warning

Its a nice reminder because not all actions will automatically save your password. Also on mobile, you have to type in your password every time because certain mobile browsers wont remember and auto fill it for you. This means the jarring completely out of place ! really makes you look and go "Oh, oh crap password" and then you type it in. We're only human fuzz and as nice as it is that most actions will have the password auto filled thanks to our browser's remember password feature, not all actions have that and mobile isnt as kind so having that reminder there is nice.

My browser is set to remember my password - but only remembers it for ACTIONS if I turn off javascript. Oh well.

You mean - when you have to put in your password for something, you need to be warned that - you will have to put in your password ?  xd.png

I don't see it so much as telling you need to put you password in the password box as it is a means to call your attention to the fact that you are about to do something seriously irreversible. It maybe makes you look twice. Not everyone needs it, but there certainly a number of people around who do.

Edited by ainisarie

You mean - when you have to put in your password for something, you need to be warned that - you will have to put in your password ?  xd.png

I rarely turn javascript on because of the problems it cause with unwanted downloads, redirecting and other problems it causes on computers. I also have all pop-ups blocked for the same reason.

When I used password instead of action, I was rolling through for CB AP finds, picking up and abandoning quickly, I was dropping any lineaged as soon as I saw parents. I never looked at the lineages, went straight to Actions. Well, the Action page got caught in Lag, and as I loaded what was normally in the abandon space, dropped password and hit enter, I realized that the Action page had only loaded KIll, and it was too late to take it back. ohmy.gif

So, yeah, even someone with A LOT of experience needs a warning once in a while. rolleyes.gif

I don't see it so much as telling you need to put you password in the password box as it is a means to call your attention to the fact that you are about to do something seriously irreversible. It maybe makes you look twice. Not everyone needs it, but there certainly a number of people around who do.

This is what I was trying to get at.

Particularly for new users, this'd be a good heads-up.

I don't care if it's optional, but I don't see it as something needs to be removed immediately.

Does anyone realize that this ugly exclamation is also present in the encyclopedia to remind you, that there is information to unlocked?

And also a very ugly checkmark? When all informations are unlocked. Informations not images!

We really do not need this jarring ugly thing in the encyclopedia. I don't want the feeling of Facebook or anything like that on Dragon Cave.

Edited by Tigerkralle

Support, it kinda frightened me the first time I saw it and it looks really out of place.

MFW the point of an alert image is to stand out and be noticed.

It's like...a tiny box. As an artist and web designer with a degree in digital media, I fail to see the problem with the alert box as it has been implemented.

Does anyone realize that this ugly exclamation is also present in the encyclopedia to remind you, that there is information to unlocked?

And also a very ugly checkmark? When all informations are unlocked. Informations not images!

We really do not need this jarring ugly thing in the encyclopedia. I don't want the feeling of Facebook or anything like that on Dragon Cave.

I commented on it when you brought it up the first time, just a few posts after yours.

I hope it stays in the encyclopedia, but I think the checkmark could go away once you visit the encyclopedia page once more after it shows up to make sure you've seen it and know you unlocked everything.

I also don't mind if the checkmark stays, though. It's just a little box. o_O

The problems for me with it are threefold:

1) the design really, really reminds me of those sketchy redirect ads that show up on some video streaming sites. I actually thought it was an ad at first.

2) considering the cave just added a more realistic background, that our scrolls look like scrolls, and that other attempts have been made to keep the player "in the world," having a really jarring modern alert system seems like a step backwards.

3) on a lot of the pages it just seems pointless. I mean, the action page already says what's going on and obviously you need to enter your password or nothing happens... why do we need a huge bright reminder of the obvious?

It's hardly a change I'm horrified by, but I do find it rather pointless and ugly to look at.

1) the design really, really reminds me of those sketchy redirect ads that show up on some video streaming sites. I actually thought it was an ad at first.

2) considering the cave just added a more realistic background, that our scrolls look like scrolls, and that other attempts have been made to keep the player "in the world," having a really jarring modern alert system seems like a step backwards.

3) on a lot of the pages it just seems pointless. I mean, the action page already says what's going on and obviously you need to enter your password or nothing happens... why do we need a huge bright reminder of the obvious?

It's hardly a change I'm horrified by, but I do find it rather pointless and ugly to look at.

This, this this!

1 & 2) True and the desing can/should be changes to better fit each layout.

3)

When I used password instead of action, I was rolling through for CB AP finds, picking up and abandoning quickly, I was dropping any lineaged as soon as I saw parents. I never looked at the lineages, went straight to Actions. Well, the Action page got caught in Lag, and as I loaded what was normally in the abandon space, dropped password and hit enter, I realized that the Action page had only loaded KIll, and it was too late to take it back. ohmy.gif

So, yeah, even someone with A LOT of experience needs a warning once in a while. rolleyes.gif

I commented on it when you brought it up the first time, just a few posts after yours.

I also don't mind if the checkmark stays, though. It's just a little box. o_O

Yeah, but the other users do not speak about the encyclopedia.

Sorry, Sock!

And the box is not so little in my opinion, for me it is too big. The exclamation mark and the cheackmark are soo big for me the situation is that i do not see the forest for the trees.

Edited by Tigerkralle

@AnanoKimi true, a (better-fitting style of) warning is useful for something like 'kill'. But for a lot of other things, it is unnecessary.

Thanks, angelicdragonpuppy, you've nailed it.

And unfortunately, in extreme lag situations, isn't it possible that that warning may not show up any sooner than does the missing area one might intend to be clicking on?

I've been getting part-pages sometimes on DC... not that that warning would alert me when going by rote in zombie mode anyway, lol.

I try to not to look at it for reasons already described - people tend to try to avoid looking at recurring things they view as unpleasant and useless but can't avoid, especially when ubiquitous, which includes advertising - and as has been pointed out, since it's on everything, including the box we put pass-words/actions into, it will typically be disregarded by many of us, especially over time, since it's viewed as an ugly annoyance.

I find that even some very famous SF authors sometimes have written in something which conflicts with their already established world-view in a particular novel or series, and it just knocks me right out of that state of suspended disbelief.

That's what it does here, as well, even trying not to see it - breaks the magic and gives a scammy feel to the site.

That's what it does here, as well, even trying not to see it - breaks the magic and gives a scammy feel to the site.

This. But I have blocked the actual image and only see the warning words. THAT way it's fine.

I honestly think that thesymbols should be appropriate per skin because honestly I use portal 2 and I think it looks fine. That being said I think they should stay but with a new design to make it seem less scam website add and more jarring DC style warning.

It's not really useful as a warning against accidentally using a more irreversible/extreme action than you planned because it's exactly the same on every action that requires a password. If someone new-ish has typed it a few times for Influences, which are reversible and not serious, are they going to think it's anything more serious if they accidentally hit 'Kill' and get exactly the same symbol?

It's not really useful as a warning against accidentally using a more irreversible/extreme action than you planned because it's exactly the same on every action that requires a password. If someone new-ish has typed it a few times for Influences, which are reversible and not serious, are they going to think it's anything more serious if they accidentally hit 'Kill' and get exactly the same symbol?

It is also used for the encyclopedia to inform you that there are informations to unlock.

You know the things about Appearance/Basic Anatomy, Hatchling Behavior, Adult Behavior, Habitat and Diet.

This usage is inflationary and the same behaviour that you can observe for advertisements in the wild out there.

Please all of you do not forget the encyclopedia.

As a warnig for irreversible actions it does not work because the text only say you have to type in your password or type in the name of the action in uppercase, because it is always the same and for influence it should tell you that you are going to influence this dragon male or female. Not everbody pays attention to this line above the selection of influencable eggs before you click a influence link the second time:

Please select which egg you would like to influence. This will increase the chance that it will be a female.
There is not only the image of the male or female Pink. rolleyes.gif Edited by Tigerkralle

Would be nice if it was something optional, so people who thought it'd do them some good could keep it and the rest of us didn't have to look at it.

It just leaves you with a bad feeling, which becomes associated with the circumstances under which you encounter it...

Edit: also what Tigerkralle said.

That minatory mark always makes you feel that there's something wrong with the page you see it on, or that you have done something wrong, and doesn't give any pertinent information.

Edited by Syphoneira

That minatory mark always makes you feel that there's something wrong with the page you see it on, or that you have done something wrong, and doesn't give any pertinent information.

I think thats the point. Given that again, the mark followed by actual warning/info would be nice on top of looking more adequate depending on the layout you use would be nice, I don;t think its a bad thing. I don't know about the whole optional thing. I mean the only reason its disliked now is that its very out of place in certain layouts making it look jarring and not in a good way. On top of that, it must e a pain in the neck to set up every thing to be optional for the site. I don't think TJ is gonna want the extra work seeing as he already retired two layouts to avoid unnecessary and extra work to implement features on those layouts. Honestly I think just an image change to better fit each layout, or a universal image used across all layouts that still calls attention, but doesn't look so out of place you think a virus got you.

And has anyone seen how horrible the image that shows that frills are retired looks?

blink.gif

OK - blocked that too xd.png

Meh, while these symbols are something I don't much care about since I mostly just ignore them, because let's face it, they're completely pointless (I only became aware of them after reading this topic), it would be nice to make the warning symbols fit the design of the new default scrolls a little better. I mean, they went through all the trouble of making a scroll look... well, scroll-like tongue.gif, added a pretty new background and then slapped these very modern looking symbols in the middle of this medieval looking setting. A strange design choice here.

So, I guess I support this suggestion. It would make the site prettier to have these symbols more medieval looking - having a simple sprite (perhaps something like a scroll with an exlamation mark or a cross on it), would look much better and would be a cake to make.

And has anyone seen how horrible the image that shows that frills are retired looks?

Wow. No. Apparently retired dragons also carry a risk of electric shock. Danger! High voltage Retired species!

The discontinued breed warning symbol is really out of place as it is synonymous with using caution in hazardous areas.

Edited by Jazeki

Oh! That's so clever. Great idea for the discontinued breeds so they don't confuse users. Thanks for pointing it out. o3o

~

Actually, the more I see the signs in the encyclopedia, the more I like them there, lol.