TJ09

2014-08-02 - August Release

Good point Amazon. I didn't mind the change, and I don't mind it going back to random either. It's quite exciting spotting a new release come out of the blue. Thanks for all the hard work TJ smile.gif. And love the look of the new egg.

Someone said 8 eggs for August, the 8th month. Makes sense. I'm still hoping it means that the dragons have several varieties. ha ha

I have to giggle (not at your expense at all please take my word) because every time we have new eggs someone mentions in DC that they think it's an uncommon or a rare. One of these might happen sometime but, so far for all the times it's been mentioned, they're just nice new eggs but not in those categories.

Oh, really? I didn't know that tongue.gif I guess we'll have to wait and see, then.

Also, I prefer random releases myself- it makes for a nice surprise for me, plus, like Amazon said, there aren't nearly as many people 'with empty scrolls, waiting to hoover up eggs on the dot'.

Finally, good luck to all hunters! biggrin.gif

Thanks TJ and spriter(s)!

8 eggs in 1 release is a first and really exciting biggrin.gif

This is weird.. The eggs that I picked up in the Alpine biome are showing Mountains for their location.. Anyone else have this glitch? O.o

This is weird.. The eggs that I picked up in the Alpine biome are showing Mountains for their location.. Anyone else have this glitch? O.o

That's entirely normal - "Alpine" = "Mountains" smile.gif

That's entirely normal - "Alpine" = "Mountains" smile.gif

Oh-- okay. My brain isn't functioning well today, I didn't think about it. xd.png

I have the News Post Notification set up, but I never get emails about new release posts, either.  My suspicion is that TJ sets it that way so that people *have* to come to the forum (or visit the cave) to find out about new releases.  It's annoying, but I suppose it helps level the playing field somewhat.  *shrug*

General thought:  I would guess that the decision to switch up the release schedule again is based on player activity, not what players say they do.  I'd imagine that, behind the scenes, TJ has access to a vast amount of user data - peak activity, low activity, trends, and so on.  If, after ~18 months of (mostly) scheduled releases, the player base has proven to (mostly) show up for the first weekend on the month and then (significantly) disappear thereafter until the beginning of the next month,* that probably doesn't look like a game that has much going on or one that has a lot of staying power.  With random releases, players need to be around more and more active if they don't want to miss out, and while they're here they find they might as well breed that pair or raise that hatchie they grabbed in the AP - they become more involved in the game as a result.  Whether it'll work remains to be seen.

Not to mention, I've had the feeling for some time that the scheduled releases make it *harder* to catch things because more people are ready and waiting with empty scrolls to hoover up eggs on the dot.  With random releases, IIRC, people would often comment that they were not going to release any eggs they had on their scroll and that must have gone some way to reduce the mad rush - or the canny AP hunters had some tasty things to scoop up...

*Think about it - how many people clock in to grab "their two" and then vanish again?  (Often while tacitly or not-so-tacitly berating anyone with higher collecting goals for being "greedy"?)

I don't know...if people show up for the new releases then don't do much for the rest of the month, I can't see how making it random will make the majority of them be more active. It only takes a second to check the forum for a 'new release' post. You don't need to visit the cave at all if you have the News forum bookmarked. The only way around that would be if TJ stopped announcing new releases...I don't think that would be a very popular idea.

I can only speak for myself: it's been no harder to catch things for me. This release has been the hardest since the change and it still only took me twenty minutes or so.

I wonder if TJ would be willing to compromise. For example, occasionally have two releases in a month. The scheduled one and a bonus every now and again.

Edited by Allspice

Finally egg locked, so the ones that are still hunting will have 1 snatcher less in biomes. But only 2 of 7 eggs are from Mountains, hope this does not bite me in my behind later if they turn out to be cuter and more rare.

I don't know...if people show up for the new releases then don't do much for the rest of the month, I can't see how making it random will make the majority of them be more active. It only takes a second to check the forum for a 'new release' post. You don't need to visit the cave at all if you have the News forum bookmarked.

The only way around that would be if TJ stopped announcing new releases...I don't think that would be a very popular idea.

Like I said - it remains to be seen if it'll work. But presumably there's data from back when releases were random that can be compared with data from when they were scheduled. I'm just speculating, here. smile.gif

Finally got my six (with a perfect three per biome!); I think I'll see which hatchlings I like better after my Tinsel hatches in a few hours and decide which spare to grab then.

Like I said - it remains to be seen if it'll work. But presumably there's data from back when releases were random that can be compared with data from when they were scheduled. I'm just speculating, here. smile.gif

Maybe. It'd be nice if he'd confirm if user data influenced this decision...but he won't so meh.

I edited my post with a suggestion for a compromise. Since it's a new page, I'll add it to this post as well: I wonder if TJ would be willing to compromise. For example, occasionally have two releases in a month. The scheduled one and a bonus every now and again.

Plz, give us more room for eggs... We have our own projects. It is not possible to finish them with too much new releases. And now they will be randomly. Plz, do not do that. It is very simple for those who just collect new dragons. I am making families and collecting prize dragons so it is very hard for me to obtain my aims. With new decisions it would be even harder. I know...none will listen to me.

Thank you anyway.

I support the randomness of drop, as we have it now you go and check the news page on first week of the month and see that there is a new breed, not thrill at all with them. But if it is random drop you newer know when we will get a new release so you need to check biomes and forum more constantly, and in my opinion this is far more fun as you newer know when you will miss a new breed. I know it is frustrating if you miss a breed, but it makes it as a real life and some things that can only be seen once in a while and you cant plan when that will be as it is random.

No more consistent releases? Well that sounds like it's going to make everything hell. Surprises are not fun. Uncertainty is not fun. Releasing a ton of eggs because suddenly there are new eggs, having to reload this forum fourteen times a day, none of this is fun. It's nothing but tedious and boring and stressful. This is a despicable move that eliminates one of the best decisions in this site's history. This is horrible. I'm tempted to just quit this crap instead of having to make my life revolve around it just so I don't get screwed over by rare eggs.

Really beautiful eggs <3

I am not sure what to think about the release news but I just wait and see how TJ want to change it.

164 eggs clicked and I finally got an egg. Except it's a frostbite xd.png.

Edited by Ashywolf

Back when releases were more random, did TJ announce them when they were happening? I wasn't here then, so I have no clue.