TJ09

2014-08-02 - August Release

So you are saying that cause it is an online game we can not have random things, and all must be planed in advance. I think it is more than enough if we get a new breed once a month, so no need to make a tight schedule of when exactly will the new breeds be released. A bit of randomness will not hurt any one, and besides as far as i know TJ works on this site alone as far as coding goes, and from some posts i read i get the feeling that some collectors demand that he must not change things cause it will mess up their plans, but did any one ever think that he is doing the changes cause he wants to have some free time around first weekend of the month. And for about 6 years all was fine with random new releases, but now half the community wont be able to live with it if we get random days of new release.

I'm saying randomness is not fun. It's stressful and annoying, that having to abandon eggs because of a random release, or having to reload this forum dozens of times every single day because of this randomness, is nothing but frustrating and tedious. You might not care when it's a common, but if you miss a rare then anyone should be righteously livid. You wont be able to go "Oh I'll catch this in a week.". You might never even see it again.

For 6 years you lived with no consistent releases. That was terrible. There are all the issues with making it random NOW except not even insurance that we'd even get one. It was EXTREMELY exciting to come back and see that every month I'd be getting new dragons instead of never knowing. Randomness and uncertainty are not fun or beneficial. Missing out and getting screwed over are all that's going to happen to people who don't obsess over this site and make it their life, reloading every single hour of every single day until it inevitably goes under.

So you are saying that cause it is an online game we can not have random things, and all must be planed in advance. I think it is more than enough if we get a new breed once a month, so no need to make a tight schedule of when exactly will the new breeds be released. A bit of randomness will not hurt any one, and besides as far as i know TJ works on this site alone as far as coding goes, and from some posts i read i get the feeling that some collectors demand that he must not change things cause it will mess up their plans, but did any one ever think that he is doing the changes cause he wants to have some free time around first weekend of the month. And for about 6 years all was fine with random new releases, but now half the community wont be able to live with it if we get random days of new release.

I had to jump through hoops to get my co-worker to switch schedules with me so I could be off the first Saturday of the month to make this release. I haven't been able to make one since the time changed to midday since I work double shifts on Saturdays. Now that I've finally got things set up in my real life to allow me to play this game, the game changed. It may not sound like much, but it actually took a great deal of effort to get that change through, so this is a slap in the face for me.

Yes, TJ works on the coding on his own as far as I know, but I believe after all these years of doing it, he should have it stream lined pretty well so it doesn't take a great deal of time. I'm sorry, I think he should be able to put a day, part of a day, aside each month for the new release. I managed to wrestle a day free to participate.

The change to mainly reliable scheduled releases was a step forward. Now the site is backsliding to old ways. You work to improve something. Also, up until the last year and a half, we could reasonably count on the release to be on a Saturday night. Many of us would clear our scrolls every weekend when we started to get the feeling that the time for a new release was right. TJ's post says that weekend releases are "very likely", meaning, to me, that there is always a chance that he might throw a wild card in there. That means some of us have to completely change our play styles so we can be open. I can only speak for myself here, but I know that's going to make the game much less interesting. I won't be breeding anymore, so instead of being on every day to tend to my scroll and see what I can do, I'll only click on randomly to see if a new breed has been released, catch it and have nothing else to do but wait until next month. That makes for a dull game.

Just my opinion.

On topic of the new release. -removed, spoilers aren't allowed- . Look forward to seeing how they turn out, and it's nice to see a new artist in the cave.

Edited by rubyshoes

a couple hours late but at least i didn't miss it!

oh well, the beginning-of-the-month releases were nice while they lasted

ummm excluding holidays, the new release eggs are permanent.

you don't NEED to abandon anything. you choose to do that. that is not TJ's fault, he didn't abandon your eggs. it is the fault of the person doing the abandoning as it was their choice to do that.

i realize its a game but it drives me nuts when ppl blame others for their own actions.

by the way i love the hatchies so far. congrats to the spriter(s)!

Edited by spring_dragon

Haha, nah, I'm good! But, do we know if these eggs will be rare or not? Plus 8 dragons out of one egg?? They're going to be like nebulas where the hatchlings all look the same then differ when they gain their wings??

No, they look different as soon as they hatch. Some are green and some are yellow. Presumably, both sets will have dimorphism in both gendered hatchlings and as adults.

ummm excluding holidays, the new release eggs are permanent.

you don't NEED to abandon anything. you choose to do that. that is not TJ's fault, he didn't abandon your eggs. it is the fault of the person doing the abandoning as it was their choice to do that.

i realize its a game but it drives me nuts when ppl blame others for their own actions.

You abandon them or you don't get the new eggs. If they're not ultra commons, then you might never see one again. All of you know how hard it is to get CB Coppers, and they're not even the rarest. If those Platinum dragons came out, and you weren't snatching up the eggs the first hour or two, then you might not even see one again. So yes, you're basically forced to, and forced to reload this forum every single hour and obsess over it if you want dragons. This is much inferior to fun monthly releases at a consistent time.

For those of us who breed our dragons regularly, whether for gifting, dropping, trade, lineage projects, etc., I have to say that randomness is sort of a bane to that particular part of the game, or has been for me. But then, I haven't been a fan of the release-every-month thing for a while, either, for the same reason.

Part of the problem is that this game's number of dragons is based on ratios, and the last release's numbers haven't evened out before a new drop comes along and further complicates any plans breeders might have for a particular breed or breeds. I know there is a huge backlog of new dragons waiting to be introduced to the cave, and I applaud and feel excited for the spriters that they do have a much shorter wait now than they did before the monthly release.

It's a double-edged sword, and one we will have to decide on an individual basis how to work around. It's easier to do when the release will be fairly common, because one can decide if they want that particular breed(s) on their scroll, and collect accordingly, but not so much if we don't know if it will be rare, because then, we have to make sure we have space to get as many as we can possibly get while they're available, and drop all else. Not so easy to do when one doesn't know what's showing up the next day. But all this is from the perspective of someone who doesn't like complications and surprises. I like things planned out and in order, and the less drama, the better. xd.png

All that said, though, I think the eggs for this release are very, very beautiful (love the colors!), and the hatchies are really adorable, as well. Have two from each biome for the time being, until we see what they grow into.

Just got an egg! Can't wait to see how it matures :3 I think because of the sorting and the 'water acts strangely around it' thing that it might be called an umbrella dragon!

You abandon them or you don't get the new eggs. If they're not ultra commons, then you might never see one again. All of you know how hard it is to get CB Coppers, and they're not even the rarest. If those Platinum dragons came out, and you weren't snatching up the eggs the first hour or two, then you might not even see one again. So yes, you're basically forced to, and forced to reload this forum every single hour and obsess over it if you want dragons. This is much inferior to fun monthly releases at a consistent time.

still your choice. you type in your password to abandon. not TJ. he is not forcing you to do anything.

i have traded for a few eggs and gotten one from my lineage that i thought would take forever that i am not willing to abandon, new release or not. i will pick up new ones when they hatch, as i forgot when i bred them that there was a release. so that's on me, not him.

not even sure why i read these release threads anymore, i just get upset with ppl complaining all the time.

ITS A GAME! HAVE FUN!

Edited by spring_dragon

Well even though I was busy this morning I was able to egg lock myself this afternoon with the new eggs. They do look nice. Here's hoping I get a good mix of colours. Thanks TJ and spriters.

That was some perfect juxtaposition right there:

And I'm kind of glad we're going back to random releases. It was more fun not knowing when to expect them and getting a surprise. smile.gif (StormWizard212)

I'm saying randomness is not fun. (BlindWolf)

There's life and DC in a nutshell eggshell - one person's fun is another person's meh.

That was some perfect juxtaposition right there:

There's life and DC in a nutshell eggshell - one person's fun is another person's meh.

This. AND I am sure that TJ knows that he can't please everyone, whatever he decides to do.

I have to say I am looking forward to seeing what these new hatchies grow into.

Eggs: I haz them. laugh.gif Love the hatchling sprites; living in fear because old breeds are already mixing in with the drops. Methinks this one is going to be uncommon or rare!

Eggs: I haz them. laugh.gif Love the hatchling sprites; living in fear because old breeds are already mixing in with the drops. Methinks this one is going to be uncommon or rare!

I said the same... actually, I almost snagged a Blue-Banded by accident, but one unlucky person (or maybe purposeful, yet I doubt it) snagged it before me, thankfully. Saved by the mob! ^^'

Could have sworn i was fast enough, didn't catch a single egg with 20 tabs and hard refresh... I was lightning speed. Guess i'm just not fast enough..

I said the same... actually, I almost snagged a Blue-Banded by accident, but one unlucky person (or maybe purposeful, yet I doubt it) snagged it before me, thankfully. Saved by the mob! ^^'

That could be. It has been some time since we had a rare released, hasn't it. We may be due.

Edited by Silverswift

I had to jump through hoops to get my co-worker to switch schedules with me so I could be off the first Saturday of the month to make this release. I haven't been able to make one since the time changed to midday since I work double shifts on Saturdays. Now that I've finally got things set up in my real life to allow me to play this game, the game changed. It may not sound like much, but it actually took a great deal of effort to get that change through, so this is a slap in the face for me.

Yes, TJ works on the coding on his own as far as I know, but I believe after all these years of doing it, he should have it stream lined pretty well so it doesn't take a great deal of time. I'm sorry, I think he should be able to put a day, part of a day, aside each month for the new release. I managed to wrestle a day free to participate.

The change to mainly reliable scheduled releases was a step forward. Now the site is backsliding to old ways. You work to improve something. Also, up until the last year and a half, we could reasonably count on the release to be on a Saturday night. Many of us would clear our scrolls every weekend when we started to get the feeling that the time for a new release was right. TJ's post says that weekend releases are "very likely", meaning, to me, that there is always a chance that he might throw a wild card in there. That means some of us have to completely change our play styles so we can be open. I can only speak for myself here, but I know that's going to make the game much less interesting. I won't be breeding anymore, so instead of being on every day to tend to my scroll and see what I can do, I'll only click on randomly to see if a new breed has been released, catch it and have nothing else to do but wait until next month. That makes for a dull game.

Just my opinion.

This. Every word of it except the work stuff as I am retired - but I still have a life outside DC.

Went ahead and decided to influence my two from the Mountains. I was going to let them be whatever they wished to be (and exchange if needed), but I noticed one of the codes would make a decent name for a male. happy.gif

still your choice. you type in your password to abandon. not TJ. he is not forcing you to do anything.

It's still not always your choice. I still have Blusang baggage, as I was a newbie at the time, on gifting lists, nearly locked with gifts, and one of the requirements is you can't "abandon" anything you are gifted, or face bannation from those gifting threads.

Other than that, what Sir Barton said.

I'm hoping I can nab some on the next drop; I only have space for a couple of eggs right now, but at least getting two will let me try for a purebred lineage down the line.

I've been out of the game for a few months, so catching up on new breeds has been... interesting.

Edited by zoreta