vixen1

ANSWERED:Username Change

I changed my username, but I think I'm still recognizable with my avatar and siggy when it comes back and my scroll username gives it away :)

4 minutes ago, Neekerisanni123 said:

So, uh, how do you change your username? I can't seem to find any way to do that.

Click your name in top right, then settings>account settings>Display name>then type in new name

Edited by ainisarie

3 minutes ago, Neekerisanni123 said:

So, uh, how do you change your username? I can't seem to find any way to do that.

Go to Account Settings (access by clicking on your name/avatar under "Site Home") --> Display Name.

I kind of wish we could claim a display name from someone that's been inactive for a very long time. The name I want is Andromeda without an "e", but it's apparently been taken by someone who hasn't visited the forums since 2010. 

I'm also really curious about usernames no longer in use. Like, would it be possible if someone else switched to Raptor of Dragons? Or would it say that it has been already been used?

5 minutes ago, Dalek Raptor said:

I'm also really curious about usernames no longer in use. Like, would it be possible if someone else switched to Raptor of Dragons? Or would it say that it has been already been used?

I hope that the old user names are permanently retired. Otherwise it will be one mess in here, trying to figure out who is really who.

:c I'm following the directions to change my username but it's not allowing me to. I get into my settings but the 'Display Name' is not clickable. Am I doing something wrong?

Fully agreement with seeing previous names. Scammers are terrible to deal with.
As for snatching names from old accounts, not really agreeing with. Like StormBirdRising mentioned, it'd be too easy to get confused with other people. Plus, someone could use it as a means to flame/soil the real person via impersonation.

I really hope we get to change our scroll names. Honestly, I'd love to change mine. Doesn't really fit anymore. I'm all for keeping a name history due to tracking scammers. 

Are display names still unique? As in, can a username only belong to one person?

22 minutes ago, Wahya said:

Are display names still unique? As in, can a username only belong to one person?

Two people cannot have the same display name at the same time. I don't know if anyone's tested using someone else's old username as their new one.

As far as we know, original usernames are mostly lost to the user. You cannot login using your old name, and members cannot PM you using your old name. However, if you edited a post before you changed your username, it will display "last edited by <old username>" instead of showing your new name.

It was refreshing to change my username a bit, even if the change wasn't too drastic as I kind of wanted to stay recognizable. Something's still bugging me about even the current username so I might be changing it again in the future, to have an username that feels more personal. It's hard to decide.

Cool. So long as they are unique, then whatever is decided with switching them (paying for it, not paying for it, etc.) is fine by me. I probably won't use the feature until we can change scroll names though xP

I do think we need to be able to see name history... I'm not inclined to trade with anyone if I can't see who they were AND WERE...

If we have someone blocked from way back and they change their name, will they stay blocked?

I just found where you can see people's forum name history.

Go to their profile then there's a big button that says display name history in the top right corner.

**EDIT* I guess you can only see your own history :\

6 minutes ago, MoonTiger said:

I just found where you can see people's forum name history.

Go to their profile then there's a big button that says display name history in the top right corner.

**EDIT* I guess you can only see your own history :\

Yeah, it's only showing up when I view my own profile. I'm hoping this will be fixed to where you can see everyone's previous names. Otherwise terrible people can get away with so much more.

2 hours ago, fuzzbucket said:

If we have someone blocked from way back and they change their name, will they stay blocked?

Yes, they should stay blocked.

7 minutes ago, Dalek Raptor said:

I'm hoping this will be fixed to where you can see everyone's previous names. Otherwise terrible people can get away with so much more.

I definitely hope so too. If one wanted to be sure about someone's previous usernames, would it be a good safety method to ask for a screenshot or some other kind of proof of their username history, or something similar?

2 hours ago, Cottoncat said:

I definitely hope so too. If one wanted to be sure about someone's previous usernames, would it be a good safety method to ask for a screenshot or some other kind of proof of their username history, or something similar?

Possibly, but screenshots like that can be doctored, so they're not a foolproof way like being able to actually click on a link and see it yourself.

And I also hope that blocking someone isn't circumvented by a name change, but you use the username to block, so...is player ID used in blocking?

56 minutes ago, CharonDusk said:

Possibly, but screenshots like that can be doctored, so they're not a foolproof way like being able to actually click on a link and see it yourself.

And I also hope that blocking someone isn't circumvented by a name change, but you use the username to block, so...is player ID used in blocking?

I think you should ask this in "Tiny Little Questions" or News post itself - I would like to know this too ☻

Also someone on another thread is looking for someone who has changed their name - and... Nope.

I changed my username. The lowercase a is on purpose because I think it looks better that way. I have my old one in my signature for now.

Edited by atheistcanuck

im waiting to change my username until folks get used to my new profile pic. i would also like to change my scroll name along with my username. question, after i change my username will someone else be able to claim the username "CellyBean"?

So do we need a new thread or can i toss this in:

I would love to see the history for each and every member with all the name changes like on steam or so.