Layn

Adult dragons can "guard" eggs and hatchies

I think this idea's pretty cool. While I've never had an egg die on me because of this before, I think it'd be sweet if this were implemented into the site somehow.

Are we still thinking of descriptions? laugh.gif

Sunrise: Wanting to avoid protective dragons, you got up early to see the egg. However, you hear a low growl and decide to back off. It seems like not every dragon was sleeping in after all.

Sunset: Wanting to avoid protective dragons, you stayed up late to see the egg. However, red eyes glint at you from the darkness and you decide to back off. It seems like not every dragon was asleep yet.

Balloon: You try to approach the egg, but a huge mass of scales suddenly tumbles into your view. Almost crushed, you decide to run for it before whatever it was could attempt to flatten you again.

Ice: You approach the egg, but a sudden chill permeates the air. In seconds, your breath begins to rise in vapours and the sweat on your face freezes. You decide to leave before you can be frozen solid.

Thunder - You approach the egg, but as you reach out to touch it, a spark jumps between you and the egg, giving you a shock. You decide to leave.

Magma - You approach the egg, only to find that it's surrounded by lava. (This one's a little iffy. @_@)

Bluna - (assuming the surrounding area is something like a beach) You attempt to view the egg, but a dragon jumps out of the ocean, dousing you with salt water. Your eyes stinging, you decide to leave.

Cheese - This doesn't seem to be an egg, but a food item. Believing the egg in question isn't here, you leave.

Horse - You approach the egg, but a snort catches your attention. You see a large horse pawing at the ground, its ears pinned back against its head to show its displeasure. You back away.

Daydream - You approach the egg, but your mind begins to wander. Not remembering what you were going to do, you decide to leave.

Pygmy - You approach the egg, but you're bowled over by a small blur of yellow. Deciding you aren't welcome, you leave.

Spring Seasonal - You attempt to view the egg, but start sneezing profusely. It seems like there's a lot of pollen in the air, so you decide to go to a place with less flowers.

Whiptail - You try to approach the egg, but a brown blur obstructs your view and knocks you back. Deciding you aren't welcome, you leave.

Red - When you near the egg, a burst of flame obstructs your path, leaving your clothes singed. You run away before you get burned to a crisp.

Chicken - As you approach the egg, you see that there is a chicken sitting on it, despite it being smaller than the egg. No matter what you do, the chicken doesn't seem to want to move. You assume it's brooding, so you leave it alone.

Phew, that was fun. xd.png

Edited by Ein Sylean

I like this idea ^^ I've never had a problem with evil view-spammers, but seeing the distress of others I get the need for such.

Hmm-

Whiptail- You approach the egg/hatchling, but a brown blur leaves you with the sting of a whip on your face. You decide to avoid more trouble and leave.

Gold- You approach the egg/hatchling, but a large golden object moves to reflect the sunlight and temporarily blinds you. You stagger away to try to regain your vision.

Red- You approach the egg/hatchling, but a figure in the shadows breathes a wall of flame. Your cloak ignites, and you flee as you try to stamp out the flames.

Bluna- You approach the egg/hatchling, but a strong jet of saltwater knocks you backward and onto the ground. You run away before you can get struck again.

Valentine/Sweetling- You approach the egg/hatchling, but you are distracted by a lovely pink/red? dragon, who blows you a kiss and winks. With a muddled head you turn back to the egg to find it gone.

Guardian- You approach the egg/hatchling, but a gray, shieldlike tail scoops it behind the dragon itself. The dragon growls, and you decide to flee.

Just some ideas ^.^

i like this idea!

i dont agree with the fact that only a few should be able to guard...

many commons, like mints or greys, have been neglected, and the idea of the allowing all species of dragon to have this ability is appealing to me c:

Here's some

Black: you move towards the egg/hatchling but it starts glowing green and a Black Dragon slowly moves towards you. Run for your life!

Nebula: you move towards the egg/hatchling but on you next step gravity increases, making it hard to move. On your next step gravity lessens sending you off your feet. when gravity returns to normal you find that the egg/hatchling gone.

Guardians of Nature: you move towards the egg/hatchling but a blast of raw energy sends you out of the cave. You run so whatever attacked you doesn’t attack you again.

Nocturne: you enter a cave just before 6 p.m. and you move towards the egg/hatchling but it becomes 6 p.m. and the "statue" behind it turn into a living dragon and it chases you out of the cave.

Edited by Burner

I'm still not really for this idea, but with BSA's out I wouldn't mind having this as a BSA for a dragon to "protect" an egg or hatchie for a day or so.

I support this idea! biggrin.gif

If there aren't any guard descriptions for the Frills yet:

You attempt to approach the egg, but a dragon steps up in front of you and flares a large frill from around its neck; scaring you off.

Thanks!

Blessed Be! ~Rain

I'm still not really for this idea, but with BSA's out I wouldn't mind having this as a BSA for a dragon to "protect" an egg or hatchie for a day or so.

I don't agree with this. i still strongly advocate this idea, since I had someone threaten to do it to me, and actually attempt to carry it out. I was lucky. the idiot actually TOLD me what he was going to do so I was watching and managed to catch it before he could spam it too much. but i shudder to think what may have happened if he had struck while I was not at the computer. he could have killed my first silver dragon and i'd have been completely helpless to stop it. i'd have returned to a DEAD egg.

i do not feel these should be a BSA. because BSAs have to be manually activated. and scroll owners can't live at their computers. they have to get up to shower, use the bathroom, eat, go to school/work/etc. and so a manually activated form of protection doesn't do much good if you're not around to activate it when the attack happens.

ALSO, we would have to figure out which dragon would get this ability as a BSA, and that could force people to play the game in a way they don't like to. Say dragon breed X has the protection BSA, but user Y doesn't like dragon breed X and doesn't want to have a single one of them on his scroll. if he gets attacked, he's screwed because he doesn't have any dragons that can protect his eggs/hatchlings.

And then what about cool downs? that could interfere with it as well if you only have ONE of the protecting breed. say you used it because you heard someone was going to attack your dragons out of spite, but the attacker didn't strike right away. if you only have one protector, and it is on cooldown, you're screwed.

however this gets implemented, i do NOT agree with it being manually activated, or put into play in such a manner that it forces people to collect a certain breed if they want any form of protection at all.

/shrugs

That's just the way the game goes. I haven't had someone attack any of my dragons (and it doesn't seem like an exceptionally common thing to me, either) so it's not as personal for me.

And if it's not manual, what about people who do this to their own eggs because they don't know better? How are they going to learn how to play the game if there's this safety net like this? Or what about neglected experiments? How will this effect them?

This idea just doesn't seem fleshed out enough for me. It's too broad and, IMO, from what I've gathered, just makes the game too safe and easy. I know it says it's not supposed to, but I still see it that way.

And if it's not manual, what about people who do this to their own eggs because they don't know better? How are they going to learn how to play the game if there's this safety net like this? Or what about neglected experiments? How will this effect them?

this safety net isn't designed to guard against too few views, so eggs would still die from running out of time. Plus, you need to have some adult dragons on your scroll in order to actually guard your new eggs, so if the new player doesn't have enough adults they can still learn the hard way until they successfully raise enough adults.

and as for neglecteds, it's been stated earlier in this thread that the older an egg gets, the higher the amount of views it has to get in a short few hours to make it sick, so since most neglecteds tend to wait until the eggs are low time, the age of the eggs will nullify the protection. it is the 'younger' eggs with times of around 7-6 days left that are most susceptible to death by spam click, same for hatchlings.

Well, I still think it should be some form of BSA, maybe of several different breeds. After all, not all people like reds/pinks/pebbles, yet they and only they have certain BSAs (incubate, influence, EQ).

The most sense I can see in here is the following:

Guardian Dragon: Guard BSA (protects one egg/hatchling until adulthood; usable once every 31 days)

Grey (Storm): Mist (the dragon watches over the egg/hatchling and shrouds it in mist if it gets soft shell or sick)

Daydream: Play (the daydream plays with a hatchling, keeping it in good health. Half of the views/UVs from one URL (for this day) won't get through as the person viewing the hatchling start daydreaming and simply wander off, forgetting what they wanted to do in your part of the cave.)

Well, I still think it should be some form of BSA, maybe of several different breeds. After all, not all people like reds/pinks/pebbles, yet they and only they have certain BSAs (incubate, influence, EQ).

Guardian Dragon: Guard BSA (protects one egg/hatchling until adulthood; usable once every 31 days)

Grey (Storm): Mist (the dragon watches over the egg/hatchling and shrouds it in mist if it gets soft shell or sick)

Daydream: Play (the daydream plays with a hatchling, keeping it in good health. Half of the views/UVs from one URL (for this day) won't get through as the person viewing the hatchling start daydreaming and simply wander off, forgetting what they wanted to do in your part of the cave.)

This. 20x this. :3

again, the biggest problem with this is, BSA must be manually activated. And almost every single one of us does not spend our entire lives on the computer, watching our eggs and hatchlings. Case in point: I myself am about to go out grocery shopping soon, and if someone were to attack my scroll while I was away, i could do NOTHING to stop it, because i am not on the computer.

and if you make these BSAs automatically activate, how does the server determine which to use? I have Guardians AND Storms AND Daydreams on my scroll, so which one would auto protect an egg if the need arose? What if I would want to choose my Daydream's BSA but the server activated the Guardian instead? The forums would be in an uproar because the server was bascially playing parts of the game for them. and wouldn't it kind of go against the whole point of the BSA? so far i have never seen one that is auto activated, they're all manually activated.

Why is the server having to choose from those three any different from it choosing from all the dragons, as this suggestion seems to want?

And if you grab a new egg and are going off to the grocery store and thinking someone might want to attack the egg, activate the BSA.

I still see no problem with manually having to activate it.

this one time ive noticed that whenever i put my hatchies in the dragonnery.some mysterious force would talk my hell,attention disorder,out of the dragonnery unsure.gifsad.gif i was freaking out..i bred it so i dont think anyone was jealous enough to do that...hope this gets implemented

Why is the server having to choose from those three any different from it choosing from all the dragons, as this suggestion seems to want?

And if you grab a new egg and are going off to the grocery store and thinking someone might want to attack the egg, activate the BSA.

I still see no problem with manually having to activate it.

because the three BSAs proposed by olympe are vastly different. if we have BSAs that protect in different ways then yes it does make a difference which one gets picked. where as if it is all dragons, the server can just pick one at random. Kind of like with the easter egg hunt. You knew the eggs were going to show up, but you didn't know which would come next.

And as for what you say about manually activating, most people who are going to attack your eggs do not politely contact you and tell you "hello, i am going to spam kill your egg on day X at time Y" most of the time the strike without warning. and if there's no warning how am i going to know someone wants to kill my egg? Learn to use psychic powers?

If you think it might happen, activate it. It will stay activated for a while. If not, don't use it. I'd prefer to have to manually activate it than have it just there all the time anyway.

again, the biggest problem with this is, BSA must be manually activated. And almost every single one of us does not spend our entire lives on the computer, watching our eggs and hatchlings. Case in point: I myself am about to go out grocery shopping soon, and if someone were to attack my scroll while I was away, i could do NOTHING to stop it, because i am not on the computer.

and if you make these BSAs automatically activate, how does the server determine which to use? I have Guardians AND Storms AND Daydreams on my scroll, so which one would auto protect an egg if the need arose? What if I would want to choose my Daydream's BSA but the server activated the Guardian instead? The forums would be in an uproar because the server was bascially playing parts of the game for them. and wouldn't it kind of go against the whole point of the BSA? so far i have never seen one that is auto activated, they're all manually activated.

So what? Get enough of the different "Guard" BSA dragons to never run out of guards, then activate the BSA on every egg you get.

and then we get back to the problem of forcing people to collect breeds they might not like. what if Joe Dragonkeeper doesn't want a vast army of Guardian dragons on his scroll because he thinks Magi are nicer looking? should we punish him for not collecting the protecting breeds by making his eggs and hatchlings never be safe? I'm sorry, i just do not see any way you can make this protection manual that won't put a serious cramp in the playing style of what could possibly be a vast chunk of the DC userbase. perhaps this is an issue on which you and I must agree to disagree, as it will ultimately be TJ who has the final say on if it's manual or automatic, or indeed if this will be a feature added to the site at all.

EDIT: @ Sockpuppet: It would take someone mildly paranoid to activate the protection on every egg. I don't know if I can speak for anyone else (altho i'm sure i'm not the only one) but i can say that i never imagined it was even POSSIBLE for someone to spam kill an egg out of spite until someone attempted to do it to me. if others have the same naive mindset as I once did, they won't think to activate protection until it's too late, and then doesn't that defeat the point of implementing protection in the first place?

Edited by Lord Shadow the Hedgehog

For your first argument - then we should just get rid of all hybrids (and even alts - unless things have changed since I've been inactive) and all BSA's. If someone doesn't want to collect those dragons then that's a risk they're willing to take.

If they don't know, then they'll either learn or see the BSA on the dragon and figure it out.

((Yes there are still alts. the la femme just balanced out how sitting and curled black alts show up. one became the male sprite and the other the female. I happen to have a frozen male alt black on my scroll with the FEMALE sprite xd.png )) [/offtopic]

....get rid of the rarer dragons so there's nothing to covet? I think you'd have to fundamentally change human nature to stop people from completely being jealous of something someone else has that they dont. not to mention the uproar that it would cause. ._." I can see it now...angry DCers running around like a ye olde mob with pitchforks and torches....

also, I'm not sure I understand. How would someone who doesn't have any adults of a breed see the BSA if they are one of the users who doesn't go to the forum? We cannot forget them, after all. for all we know, egg attacks are more common than we realize, we just don't know because the victems are not on the forums to tell their stories....

With the same logic, we'd still have to get rid of all BSAs. How is a non-forum-goer supposed to know about the Summon BSA if he doesn't have all three Trio adults? How is he to know about Incubate or Earthquake, Influence or any of the future BSAs if he does not have the adult dragons?

Besides, your argument that someone would have to collect an army of Guardians can be answered the same way as the question about Reds and Incubate, which is a very nifty BSA. If you don't want to get them, you'll just have to pay the price. Or you will have to get them anyway, despite Golds/Silvers/Whatevers looking better. (Please don't misconstrue this as sprite bashing, it's just meant as an example. As a matter of fact, I have a Red army...)

Also, protecting all your eggs and hatchling does not necessarily mean that you are paranoid. I mean, you could Influence or Incubate or Earthquake or even Bite every single egg if you so desired, just because you can. (Provided you have enough of those dragons.)

And, going off topic: Curled alt black hatchlings do not necessarily gender male. (See my scroll if you don't believe it - I've an unfrozen curled male.)